Battery auto discharge Mavic Air
53208 14 2018-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mel Mann
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi All,
Came across a problem that I hope someone can help me with. The week before last I charged all 3 batteries as I intended to fly the day after. As usual in this country the weather had different ideas! Due to the weather and other commitments I was unable to go out for 10 days. So the night before I again attempted to top the batteries up as I assumed they would be going through their automatic discharge phase. I checked all 3 batteries and saw that they were all still showing full. I still placed them in the charger to see if that would show me if they needed a top up but as they were obviously full the charger didnt give me any charging lights. The following morning I set off to my local park only to find that since I looked at the batteries the night before the batteries were going through their discharge phase and were down to 75%.
I guess my question would be is there a way to reset the 10 day period?  I am sure on my Phantom Pro that I used to have if you activated the battery i.e. turn the battery on, it would reset the timer.

Any thoughts?

Mel
2018-4-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Press the power button and that should reset the discharge cycle
2018-4-7
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-4-7 12:32
Press the power button and that should reset the discharge cycle

It should, but it sounds like the OP is saying that did not work this time.
2018-4-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

msinger Posted at 2018-4-7 13:02
It should, but it sounds like the OP is saying that did not work this time.

May be it's different for the MA then.
OP - try holding down the power button for several seconds until all the LED's show or put them in the drone and turn them on the night before.
That said, I discharge my batteries immediately using the power bank adaptor so all are set to 40% when I put them away and recharge them the night before I fly. I never rely on the auto discharge.
2018-4-7
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

@Mel Mann, this is the first I've heard of this issue. If you're not running the current Mavic Air firmware, it would be a good idea to install the current version. Don't forget to update the firmware on your batteries too.
2018-4-7
Use props
AlbSteve
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi
Being used to LiPo batteries and charging discharging I am finding that so called smart batteries confusing?? I have a mavic air and instructions say batteries start to discharge after 10 days! Is there a way to discharge if you know you will not fly the next day surely this would be beneficial to battery life. Could this be related to posts on mavic air sudden battery loss during flight on other forums or lack of information!
2018-4-7
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

At this time, there is no way to decrease that default 10 day setting in DJI GO.
2018-4-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

AlbSteve Posted at 2018-4-7 17:56
Hi
Being used to LiPo batteries and charging discharging I am finding that so called smart batteries confusing?? I have a mavic air and instructions say batteries start to discharge after 10 days! Is there a way to discharge if you know you will not fly the next day surely this would be beneficial to battery life. Could this be related to posts on mavic air sudden battery loss during flight on other forums or lack of information!

Mavic Air doesn't support self-define the discharge time. Ten days for battery discharging is suitable and won't cause the battery issues. No worries.
2018-4-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Mel, for Mavic Air, the period will not be reset if you only click the battery button to check the power. The period will be reset if you boot the battery (short press and long press to power on).
2018-4-7
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2018645 ft

You can reset the period by turning it on and back off without putting it in the drone.
2018-4-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-4-7 19:17
Mavic Air doesn't support self-define the discharge time. Ten days for battery discharging is suitable and won't cause the battery issues. No worries.

So similar to the Spark batteries - good info - thanks Thor.
2018-4-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-4-7 20:18
You can reset the period by turning it on and back off without putting it in the drone.

You can but that is not advisable - it clearly states in the DJI battery guide never to do that
2018-4-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

A CW Posted at 2018-4-8 00:26
So similar to the Spark batteries - good info - thanks Thor.

No problems.
2018-4-8
Use props
Mel Mann
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks all for the input (particularly Thor) I did in fact only press the button once to check the status. Shame really that there is no option as with other dji drones, to choose length of time before auto discharge. Anyway thanks again.

Mel
2018-4-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mel Mann Posted at 2018-4-8 03:33
Thanks all for the input (particularly Thor) I did in fact only press the button once to check the status. Shame really that there is no option as with other dji drones, to choose length of time before auto discharge. Anyway thanks again.

Mel

No probs - hope all works out well
2018-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules