Auto-exposure with P3?
12270 14 2015-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gregbenz
lvl.1

United States

I see settings for the Phantom 2 to set an auto-ISO.  Are there any options to set auto-exposure on the Phantom 3?  I can only set exposure manually (though I see an exposure compensation number, so it's clearly metering).  Thanks!

2015-5-7
Use props
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

Done a few shots and I think it is on auto until you select 'manual' mode
2015-5-10
Use props
jgraham103
lvl.1

United States

Reset Camera Settings will get it back to auto. Don't think there's another way, yet.
2015-5-10
Use props
gregbenz
lvl.1

United States

jgraham103 Posted at 2015-5-11 09:26
Reset Camera Settings will get it back to auto. Don't think there's another way, yet.

There's an auto mode, but you can only get to it by resetting all settings?
2015-5-11
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

No no, if you do not have MANUAL MODE set then you are in AUTO MODE.    You can tell the difference by checking the bottom right in the app.   If it's illuminated then you are in MANUAL MODE (you can bring up the manual settings by swiping from left to right on the screen) and if it's greyed out then you're in AUTO MODE.

I much prefer MANUAL MODE as you can get the best from your images if you control the ISO and shutter yourself.
2015-5-11
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-12 15:27
No no, if you do not have MANUAL MODE set then you are in AUTO MODE.    You can tell the difference  ...

You professional videographers will be the death of me!

My settings are currently hosed up (a PAL vs NTSC issue) and this morning I shot a 10-minute flight with 1080P and 50 fps. Apparently can't choose 60 fps because I'm not in the NTSC mode - battery charging at the moment, I'm stuck on the launch pad!

I've been used to another quad and using my GoPro. It sort of seems to work okay on full-blown auto - I don't touch much of anything and I don't shoot many stills with the GoPro, mostly video. However, on the P3 this morning, with nice bright, hot sunshine here in central Florida, virtually everything looks either overexposed, washed out or both.

I've seen several references to shutter speed, seemingly associated with video. I guess, as a rank amateur, I wasn't aware there was such a thing as shutter speed with video. I figured you could perhaps change the ISO - the lens itself is fixed at f2.8 - slowing it down should ease up some of the sensitivity to the bright sun, etc.

What's the easiest way to get a newbie lesson about proper settings for video - in this case, particularly with the P3 Pro?

Many thanks for your post - guess I'll learn more as we go on!
2015-5-12
Use props
jorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 171946 ft
Finland

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-13 01:40

My settings are currently hosed up (a PAL ...

When you are in AUTO mode, you can adjust EV, by using right camera setting wheel (on the controller). On MANUAL mode you can adjust ISO, by using same wheel. Pressing the wheel you can also adjust shutter.
2015-5-12
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

jorski@netti.fi Posted at 2015-5-13 04:00
When you are in AUTO mode, you can adjust EV, by using right camera setting wheel (on the controll ...

Thanks for the tips. Now that I have a Pilot app (hopefully!) I'll play with the settings/controls and see if I can improve my videos.

Thanks again.
2015-5-12
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-13 01:40

My settings are currently hosed up (a PAL ...

Heh, don't worry, it's not scary in there.  

You first need to work out your goal.  If it's just to take home movies in the air then AUTO MODE is a great option.   

But if you see some of the beautiful videos that have wonderful color, contrast and depth and say "why don't my videos turn out like that?" then I can help you get a lot closer with a little bit of knowledge.

So if rich imagery is what you're after, the first rule is always be in MANUAL MODE and control the settings yourself.

In daylight you will almost always keep the ISO at it lowest value of 100.   Then it's a simple matter of adjusting the SHUTTER setting to get the exposure right.

So how do you do that?   It's pretty easy with a bit of practice.

On the IOS app you can bring up the OVEREXPOSURE WARNING and the HISTOGRAM.   (Not sure if the Android app has the OVEREXPOSURE WARNING.)

I'll make a video tutorial that shows how to work with these.

The OVEREXPOSURE WARNING is the easiest as it puts black stripes (zebra pattern) over anything that is too bright in the image.    So adjust the SHUTTER until you get rid of about 90% of the lines.  It's okay to have a couple.  This means you are as bright as you can be without overexposing.  

Overexposing is your worst enemy because once you lose definition in the whites the image looks cheap and nasty and you can never get them back.

If you watch my tutorials it will give you a good foundation in some of these concepts.

I'll make a specific tutorial which should make a lot more sense.

Jim
2015-5-12
Use props
knicholas194
lvl.2

United States

I'm still confused, how do you switch between auto and manual?
2015-5-12
Use props
ptortora
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1102 ft
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-13 04:49

You first need to work out your goal.  If it's just  ...

Jim, appreciate the advise but where are your videos?
2015-5-12
Use props
scott7161
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Jim, you've got me using manual mode now and I love it.  The Phantom doesn't change the image lighter/darker like it used to and I feel like I have more control.  

1)  Do you ever adjust the white balance yourself?  
2)  It sounds like you keep the color setting in LOG - is that right?

Thanks,
Scott
2015-5-12
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

ptortora@mac.co Posted at 2015-5-13 06:40
Jim, appreciate the advise but where are your videos?

Have a look at these. They are all for the Inspire but the concepts and pretty much all of the settings are the same.

I'll start doing some Phantom specific ones but 95% of this should apply:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-9738-1-1.html
2015-5-12
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

Thanks Jim. Yes, I'm just a guy who wants to make "aerial home movies!" But it would be nice to learn enough to be dangerous - that's the route I took with still photography. Have a Canon D50 and a 40D. They are both overkill for someone like me, but they've been fun over the last dozen years or so.

Looking forward to the tutorial(s)

It is kind of scary at times. Trying to learn adequate videography with your heart in your throat - a miscue or a moment's inattention and your photo lab goes down in flames! (figuratively speaking!)
2015-5-12
Use props
troberts4
lvl.1

United States

knicholas194@gm Posted at 2015-5-13 06:19
I'm still confused, how do you switch between auto and manual?

If you haven't figure it out yet, I thought I'd chime in.

To switch from Manual and Auto, within the Pilot App on the right hand side below the record button are three horizontal lines. Press that, and when it's blue you are in manual mode. See jimhare's note above regarding ISO and shutter settings. And jorski's regarding how the camera setting wheel works.
To get out of manual mode, just press the three horizontal lines again and you're into auto.

I agree that manual will give you the best picture, no question. When in manual mode you can use the wheel to asjust your shutter settings on the fly.  
2015-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules