Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Hairline crack in lens. Replaceable?
4221 10 2015-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dji
lvl.1

United States

First flight out I made a big mistake and my P3 landed a little to hard on an uneven surface and the camera took a little hit. I've since had a few more flights and everything works beautifully. However, I noticed that the lens picked up a hairline crack. It's enough that it adds a little cloudy area to the video.

Anyone know if the lens glass can unscrew and is able to be replaced? I hope it's not something that requires the entire camera to be replaced.
2015-5-7
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Bigtime bummer

I know it is late to give this advice - but others might be reading and it might be useful for the future. Learn to hand-catch (find people demonstrating it on YouTube). You avoid the risks of landing and you can go walking away from your safe start/landing place and just grab the quadcopter out of the air when you need it. NATURALLY you need to be careful. The spinning props will do serious damage. So take it easy, train with plenty of battery left so you don't feel the need to rush it. And train on a day without wind because the Phantom will dance a little in the wind as you know.

I have not even landed my P3 once in the conventional manner.

Good luck. Hope you find a fix for the lens.
2015-5-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

That may be your favorite method of retrieving your Phantom from flight, but I would think it ill advised to recommend that to others.
And in the same sentence, say that it's dangerous...
"NATURALLY you need to be careful. The spinning props will do serious damage."
That also may have been the only sensible advise you shared...

Find a safe, flat, clean and dry surface to take off and land from/in...
Play safe, and Save your health, to fly another day. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-5-7
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Lens or Filter? Take a picture. You can contact support to see whether you can replace the part.
2015-5-7
Use props
coreynach
lvl.2
Flight distance : 208589 ft
United States

DJI-Autumn is on it, but my understanding is the lens of top part screws off... specifically so we can add after market filters (ND and CP) in the future... so chance are you can screw it off and get a replacement once they are available.
2015-5-7
Use props
dji
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-5-8 15:25
Lens or Filter? Take a picture. You can contact support to see whether you can replace the part.

I suppose it's the filter. It's the outer-most piece of glass.

2015-5-8
Use props
victor.victorms
lvl.1
Flight distance : 119774 ft
United States

It can be replaced for $38.  I just crashed mine by clipping the top of a huge 100+ foot freakin' tree. Thought I cleared it and it came crashing down.

2015-9-3
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

dji, that's the UV filter. There are a few places to purchase that here:
http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#ReplacementPartsP3

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-9-3
Use props
fans146c290b
New
United States

How much does the inner lens cost to replace?  the camera never dropped, always handled with utmost care.
2017-12-2
Use props
ebikesupply
New
United States

fans146c290b Posted at 2017-12-2 09:01
[view_image]
How much does the inner lens cost to replace?  the camera never dropped, always handled with utmost care.

Did you find out how to repair this? Mine has the Exact same problem.
Thank You
2018-2-28
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Interesting ....

The OP has an ID called "DJI" .... wondering how long before Mods ask it to be changed ... as has happened to many others who used DJI in their ID names ? Just mentioning - before anyone starts on me.

OK - Outer screw on lens ? Now I have been told that is plain optical glass and not a filter ... can unscrew so a Polar Brand filter can be fitted. But I also read somewhere else that it was a low value UV filter ...  Doesn't really matter I think ...

If it was mine ? I would look at putting a low ND or zero CPL lens on instead of original format ? Cheaper and available via most camera sales sites online etc.

Also - don't tell everyone - but the 'glass' in that lens cap is not fixed ! It is possible to replace just the glass in the screw cap !! There are kits to do this for amateur Photographers.

Nigel
2018-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules