2719 38 2018-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bobo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1544416 ft
  • >>>
United States

First real time out of air conditioning setting with my CrystalSky Ultra today. Florida temp is 84 degrees and all sun. Took out monitor and used with P4 for 20 minutes and recieved a overheat warning, please shut down to cool off warning on app. Is this normal? My privious Ultra Screen went dark after 5 minutes of use. I returned it for this new one. Screen is still funtioning. Anyone out there from DJI that knows whats going on with these units????????
2018-4-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Anyone out there from DJI that knows whats going on with these units????????

Being that was posted six hours ago, it looks like no one at DJI is talking..........   
2018-4-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Florida temp is 84 degrees and all sun. Took out monitor and used with P4 for 20 minutes and recieved a overheat warning, please shut down to cool off warning on app.

It is able to operate in as low as -4°F (-20°C) and, with its internal cooling system, functions normally in temperatures as high as 104°F (40°C).

°F - 84°F = 20°F    20°F would be well below normal upper operating temperature.
Were any other Apps running on your CrystalSky?
Were you using Litchi?  Or perhaps another 3rd-party app to fly P4 with?

2018-4-10
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Bobo, is your CS running the latest firmware? Please provide the error message or the screenshot of it for further check. Or you can change a mobile device and see if it shows the error message.
2018-4-10
Use props
bobo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-10 18:13
Florida temp is 84 degrees and all sun. Took out monitor and used with P4 for 20 minutes and recieved a overheat warning, please shut down to cool off warning on app.

It is able to operate in as low as -4°F (-20°C) and, with its internal cooling system, functions normally in temperatures as high as 104°F (40°C).

No other apps. Nothing but pre installed factory software
2018-4-11
Use props
bobo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-10 23:30
Bobo, I think you can try Remote Controller Monitor Hood for Smartphones to avoid direct sunlight: https://store.dji.com/product/in ... tphones?from=search Thanks for your support.

Really? thats your professional answer? Buy a sun shield? What's going on with these units? My environment I was in was within the range of the Spec. 20 minutes into use and overheat warning? Whats next on the suggestion. That we purchase 4 units and when it heats up just swap out to the other? Really, someone please find out whats really going on. Is it a default in production? Or can it be software update fixed? Clearly the cooling fans aren't doing the job. Can software update fix the run time of the fans? Or is it hardware? Clearly there is a majority of claims on the forum with monitor and overheating issues to flag a serious problem thats happening. The CyrstalSky is flaged as a Professional  System. Lets have a professional answer.
2018-4-11
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

bobo Posted at 2018-4-11 01:38
Really? thats your professional answer? Buy a sun shield? What's going on with these units? My environment I was in was within the range of the Spec. 20 minutes into use and overheat warning? Whats next on the suggestion. That we purchase 4 units and when it heats up just swap out to the other? Really, someone please find out whats really going on. Is it a default in production? Or can it be software update fixed? Clearly the cooling fans aren't doing the job. Can software update fix the run time of the fans? Or is it hardware? Clearly there is a majority of claims on the forum with monitor and overheating issues to flag a serious problem thats happening. The CyrstalSky is flaged as a Professional  System. Lets have a professional answer.

This is the professional answer, get the official DJI 7.85 Crystalsky hood

https://store.dji.com/product/crystalsky-monitor-hood?vid=40291

Not the smart phone version which doesn't even fit a 7.85in screen
2018-4-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

bobo Posted at 2018-4-11 01:19
No other apps. Nothing but pre installed factory software

That rules out a problem reported by another forum member.
He ran into problems with over-heating when he was running Litchi.
2018-4-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

lannes Posted at 2018-4-11 02:28
This is the professional answer, get the official DJI 7.85 Crystalsky hood

https://store.dji.com/product/crystalsky-monitor-hood?vid=40291

What about the combo Hood & Cooler, with blue-ice to keep CS-Ub cool?  
2018-4-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

you can try Remote Controller Monitor Hood for Smartphones to avoid direct sunlight

Scratching my head.  

Is that not whole point of CrystalSky - for use outside in direct sunlight?  
Where natural light is to bright for drone pilots too use smartdevices like tablets and cellphones.

If CrystalSky needs a folding sunshield, then by its very design, CrystalSky should have a folding sunshield built into it.
If CrystalSky needs a full Monitor Hood, then what is point of CrystalSky?  You can buy a full monitor hood to go over tablets.

2018-4-11
Use props
bobo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-11 10:10
you can try Remote Controller Monitor Hood for Smartphones to avoid direct sunlight

Scratching my head.  

My thoughts also
2018-4-11
Use props
bobo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-10 23:30
Bobo, is your CS running the latest firmware? Please provide the error message or the screenshot of it for further check. Or you can change a mobile device and see if it shows the error message.

Yes the latest firmware. Also switched to iPad after the warning and finished the shoot with the iPad. No overheat messages with the iPad. The CyrstalSky was hot to the touch. Real hot. Today I have it running in air conditioned office. Seems ok. You can hear the fan kick in. Weather not good for outside today.
2018-4-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

I am getting more nervous about my CS-Ub.

Had CS-Ub out yesterday flying.  Temp was 66 F.  Bright sunny day.   Slight breeze 1 to 4Mph.
Screen was set to Auto Brightness.  Internal fans of CS-Ub kicked on, after a few minutes.

On positive side, I know fans will come on.
On negative side, fans having to come on when there is air flowing around CS-Ub and air temp is 38F below published high-end operating range does not bode well for when Summer temperatures arrive.
2018-4-11
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

bobo Posted at 2018-4-11 10:28
Yes the latest firmware. Also switched to iPad after the warning and finished the shoot with the iPad. No overheat messages with the iPad. The CyrstalSky was hot to the touch. Real hot. Today I have it running in air conditioned office. Seems ok. You can hear the fan kick in. Weather not good for outside today.

We are going to update the firmware of CS soon. Please wait for the new firmware and keep us updated if the problem remains. Thanks for your patience.
2018-4-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-12 01:14
We are going to update the firmware of CS soon. Please wait for the new firmware and keep us updated if the problem remains. Thanks for your patience.

Has DJI analyzed CS firmware and GO 4 app to see if there is any Hot-Spots?
Hot-Spots being code that uses lots of CPU time / CrystalSky resources.
Then looked at optimizing any Hot-Spots, perhaps even changing how the code performs its task?
2018-4-12
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-12 07:49
Has DJI analyzed CS firmware and GO 4 app to see if there is any Hot-Spots?
Hot-Spots being code that uses lots of CPU time / CrystalSky resources.
Then looked at optimizing any Hot-Spots, perhaps even changing how the code performs its task?

Thanks for your feedback. The new firmware just released, please update the system and provide us advice.
2018-4-13
Use props
bobo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-13 01:46
Thanks for your feedback. The new firmware just released, please update the system and provide us advice.

Upgraded both 7.85ultra and 5.5. Will be testing in the next few days. Thanks for the update
2018-4-13
Use props
bobo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Upgraded both 7.85ultra and 5.5. Will be testing in the next few days. Thanks for the update.
2018-4-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

I can install it, like others.  But there is no way for customers to find Hot-Spots in DJI's firmware or GO 4 apps.

Finding Hot-Spots is task that has to be done by DJI's programmers.  To find Hot-Spots takes software tools, and access to source code.
2018-4-13
Use props
Airpixel Studio
lvl.2
United Arab Emirates

bobo Posted at 2018-4-11 01:38
Really? thats your professional answer? Buy a sun shield? What's going on with these units? My environment I was in was within the range of the Spec. 20 minutes into use and overheat warning? Whats next on the suggestion. That we purchase 4 units and when it heats up just swap out to the other? Really, someone please find out whats really going on. Is it a default in production? Or can it be software update fixed? Clearly the cooling fans aren't doing the job. Can software update fix the run time of the fans? Or is it hardware? Clearly there is a majority of claims on the forum with monitor and overheating issues to flag a serious problem thats happening. The CyrstalSky is flaged as a Professional  System. Lets have a professional answer.

Did you notice that DJI Electra response was removed? I am glad you quoted it. I have the sun shield on the way. My High Bright version overheated the first time it was used outside in ambient temps of 33 deg C  in 10 mins or less.

I can't wait to post a pic of the overheat warning WITH sun shield all over the internet
2018-4-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

bobo Posted at 2018-4-13 06:40
Upgraded both 7.85ultra and 5.5. Will be testing in the next few days. Thanks for the update.

You are welcome. Please give us feedback after you test it.
2018-4-24
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

I get the Overheat warning with my CS 5.5" whenever the ambient temperature goes above 80° F and usually on my second battery, so about 20 minutes of use. Latest FW & App
2018-4-27
Use props
Forestjim
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6606519 ft
  • >>>
Australia

QuadKid Posted at 2018-4-27 01:36
I get the Overheat warning with my CS 5.5" whenever the ambient temperature goes above 80° F and usually on my second battery, so about 20 minutes of use. Latest FW & App

Did you always get the prior to update in 80F temperature.?
2018-4-27
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Forestjim Posted at 2018-4-27 04:19
Did you always get the prior to update in 80F temperature.?

No just started getting this warning since updating to the latest firmware. Ambient air temperature was 80 degrees F,  like you said well within the acceptable limits of operation.

DJI needs to address this asap !!
2018-4-27
Use props
bobo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-24 01:02
You are welcome. Please give us feedback after you test it.

Ok, so after I did my M600 firmware update, I grabbed my controller and CS Ultra and did some flying.  It's sunny and 83 degrees out today in Florida with no shade. I did have the new DJI sunshade on the CS. I flew the bird for 20 minutes flight time. The CS Ultra was on a total time of 26 minutes. Landed the M600.
All was good. No warning for overheat from the APP. The CS was hot to the touch but not enough to burn you, just hot. Normal to me and no hotter than my iPad Pro. The fan was running on the CS about 2 minutes after shut down. Then shut down. I couldn't fly more today but plan to up the time the soon.
On a side note, the Sunshade/cover is the bomb. Doubles as a screen protector and I found that I never take it off. Also have the shade for the 5.5 CS.
2018-4-27
Use props
JMR58
First Officer
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>

I think the current mapping machine(Here maps?) is the cause of overheating!
I installed Litchi app from Amazon App Store and CS 7.85 hb was overheating with the Here mapping machine, when i installed and switched to Google maps everything went fine and no more overheating of the CS.

2018-4-27
Use props
bobo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

bobo Posted at 2018-4-27 08:39
Ok, so after I did my M600 firmware update, I grabbed my controller and CS Ultra and did some flying.  It's sunny and 83 degrees out today in Florida with no shade. I did have the new DJI sunshade on the CS. I flew the bird for 20 minutes flight time. The CS Ultra was on a total time of 26 minutes. Landed the M600.
All was good. No warning for overheat from the APP. The CS was hot to the touch but not enough to burn you, just hot. Normal to me and no hotter than my iPad Pro. The fan was running on the CS about 2 minutes after shut down. Then shut down. I couldn't fly more today but plan to up the time the soon.
On a side note, the Sunshade/cover is the bomb. Doubles as a screen protector and I found that I never take it off. Also have the shade for the 5.5 CS.

My setup today was with the latest CS Ultra firmware and the stock DJI go App.(M600) from the firmware install. I have no other software on the CS Ultra, only the stock  software  during shipment. I wanted to keep it clean
2018-4-27
Use props
Forestjim
Second Officer
  • >>>

JMR58 Posted at 2018-4-27 08:48
I think the current mapping machine(Here maps?) is the cause of overheating!
I installed Litchi app from Amazon App Store and CS 7.85 hb was overheating with the Here mapping machine, when i installed and switched to Google maps everything went fine and no more overheating of the CS.

You might be on to something there.
I’m still testing different things
I did notice my Ultra looks like it’s running cooler with Sync HD turned off in camera settings
But it's very early days and we are in  autumn downunder
2018-4-27
Use props
Cvanhoose
lvl.1
Flight distance : 934869 ft

Als receiving constant overheat notifications with the latest firmware. Ambient temp was 80f. What is the fix? I have turned off video cache with the same result.
2018-4-29
Use props
bobo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cvanhoose Posted at 2018-4-29 15:45
Als receiving constant overheat notifications with the latest firmware. Ambient temp was 80f. What is the fix? I have turned off video cache with the same result.

Do you have any other 3rd party software installed or running?
2018-4-29
Use props
Cvanhoose
lvl.1

bobo Posted at 2018-4-29 16:12
Do you have any other 3rd party software installed or running?

Stock crystal sky
2018-4-29
Use props
Forestjim
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Hey Mate,

What model CS do you have?

I've only got an Overheat warnings on my 5.5 so far.

My CS Ultra is running very cool atm.

2018-4-29
Use props
bobo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Can you hear the fan running when it's hot and on?
2018-4-30
Use props
Cvanhoose
lvl.1

Forestjim Posted at 2018-4-29 17:07
Hey Mate,

What model CS do you have?

The 5.5” is giving me the issues with notifications and overheating. The fans are running but the unit is getting extremely hot. I have turned off the video cache and audio cache settings, which help slightly but not the fix.
2018-4-30
Use props
bobo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cvanhoose Posted at 2018-4-30 04:12
The 5.5” is giving me the issues with notifications and overheating. The fans are running but the unit is getting extremely hot. I have turned off the video cache and audio cache settings, which help slightly but not the fix.

Sounds like you did everything you could. If under warranty I would start a repair/replace. We spent a lot of money for this monitor and they should be 100% working.
2018-4-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Cvanhoose Posted at 2018-4-30 04:12

If you want to see what Applications are using most CPU time on CrystalSky.
The following will put a list of top running processes in upper right hand corner of CrystalSky screen.
Hope this helps spot what is heavily using CPU time, and lead to cause of overheating.

On CrystalSky Main screen-
Click on Settings.
Click on About.
Click on Kernel version - Seven times.
Click on '<-' (return arrow) to go back to Settings.

Under 'System' heading, across from Date & Time a new option will appear - '{}   Developer options'.
Click on Developer options.
Scroll down to bottom.  Look for 'Monitoring' heading.
Click on 'Show CPU usage'.

The CPU usage is supposed to follow Linux model as follows.
The numbers at top show CPU load over 1-minute, 5-minutes, & 15-minutes.
The lower the number the better of a given period.
Number above 0.7 is normally consider worth looking into possible cause.  But that is case for single core, single processor.
CrystalSky supposedly uses a single processor with four cores (DJI will not say), if true then a number above 2.8 would be case for looking into possible cause.

With GO 4 activated (and not going past opening screen), and CrystalSky not connected to Remote Controller, after several minutes - mine shows 0.45 / 0.51 / 0.45.
Do not be surprised if there are brief jumps to 0.95 / 0.61 / 0.48

There are colored bars at top.  But they are very hard to see, until there is CPU activity.
Green - User space (apps) usage
Red - Kernel usage
Blue - IO interrupt usage

If you want to see an example in action.
In an empty area of CS screen, touch screen, and move your finger around.  You will see 'surfacefinger' activity increase (move up in list), and you will see green and red bars increase in length.
Activating GO 4 after a power-off and back on, will cause a jump in CPU usage.
Going past Go 4 opening screen, using Enter Device, and CrystalSky still not connected to Remote Controller,  - mine shows 1.77 / 1.38 / 0.9

You can turn off Developer by going back into Develper Options and clicking on slide switch at top, setting it to off.

Top list of processes on mine with GO 4 App running showing blank video screen (CS not connected to RC), the compass in lower left, and street map in lower right:
dji.go.v4
system_server
surfacefinger
(the next few swap positions)
dji.system.launcher
kworker/0.2
com.android.systemui
dji.go.v4 (second copy?)
fb-vsync
(after this different process jump in and out of list)

2018-4-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-30 11:43
If you want to see what Applications are using most CPU time on CrystalSky.
The following will put a list of top running processes in upper right hand corner of CrystalSky screen.
Hope this helps spot what is heavily using CPU time, and lead to cause of overheating.

With my CrystalSky Ub connected to RC, and Mavic Pro powered up,
GO 4 Application running and looking at normal screen
with drone's video image showing on main screen (Transmission Mode is Normal & Code Rate is averaging 6.5 Mbps)
with static image (little to no movement) from camera,
and drone system with out props churning, my CS-Ub got following CPU utilization numbers:

After 03 minutes 2.72 / 2.67 / 1.98 with brief jumps to 3.85 for the 1-minute average
After 08 minutes 2.67 / 2.81 / 2.28 with brief jumps to 4.03 for the 1-minute average
After 17 minutes 3.27 / 3.52 / 2.86 with brief jumps to 4.45 for the 1-minute average

Inside house at 72F-degrees,
CrystalSky's fans are not running, CS-Ub feels warm on right side.  (Don't have my temp probe here).

Outside house is 82F-degrees
CrystalSky's fans started running, CS-Ub feels warmer on right side.  

Kernel is 3.10.0
System is 02.06.03.00
GO 4 is 4.2.8
Aircraft & RC is 01.04.0300 (Mavic Pro P)

2018-4-30
Use props
JMR58
First Officer
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-30 11:43
If you want to see what Applications are using most CPU time on CrystalSky.

Yo Man, that "s a lot of information and numbers, appreciate your research very much!
2018-5-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

JMR58 Posted at 2018-5-1 12:46
Yo Man, that "s a lot of information and numbers, appreciate your research very much!

Dual hope here.
If others turn on Debugging with CPU utilization -
a) they may catch a program that is using up most of CPU time causing over-heating.
b) we can gather some information about what is normal vs. abnormal CPU utilization for Android devices.
2018-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules