Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Just bought my first Drone - I'm now a Sparkie :)
1242 27 2018-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stevieob
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8287 ft
Ireland

Well I’ve never had a drone before but fancied the idea for a while now, especially as I was on holiday.  But it was only with a with a few days left when I managed to pick one up for about €330 in Dubai.  Since then I realise now what the Fly more bundle brings to the table and already I regret not getting one of them.  But I think I got a pretty good deal and there was actually no bundles to be found that day in any of the shops I visited.

I immediately tried to sign up here, but unfortunately there were technical issues with the site, so I wasn't able to get my questions in before now so I was really totally winging it!

I soon realised that I made a rookie mistake of not getting an SD card so I thought I wouldn't be able to take pictures or video.  I took to the sky anyway the following morning as I was keen to try it out before heading back out to the shops for the SD card.  I actually looked for a remote but nobody had them in stock.  I got a SanDisk Extreme 64 GB.  What are peoples thoughts on that?  I think that should be more than good enough.  However I subsequently realised that it did appear to save the video to my phone from the first couple of flights I did.  I haven't had a chance to really play around with all the footage I took yet, but the quality seems pretty good.  Is it really much better straight from the SD card?  What does the SD card offer you over just using your phone?

So a couple of beginner flights later and my first obsevations are that I found it really easy to use as a first timer.  I found it difficult to see the screen on my phone with the sun.  2 small flights, nearly 4 minutes and then 6:30 and started to get a warning of low battery...... I was about to land it anyway but I don't believe the claim of 16 minutes, I think 12 is a fairer number.  I think the battery drains very quick as soon as you power it on, so being a beginner I needed to power it on and start to get a feel for it before taking to the sky, so powere was well down before lift off each time.  I do regret not picking up the bundle. Battery life is pretty poor, but that’s fine I’m sure, that’s just what it is. The problem is, first time flying, you want and need to muck around with it a good bit to get the hang of it, so having to charge the battery after every 15 minutes is a pita and results in slow learning.  

Of course having to charge it up meant I watched a few YouTube videos. I figured I would try the Active track mode with the kids but it was not great.  It didn't work very well and half way through circling them as they were standing still it just stopped and my phone lost connection with the drone (I was within 50 yards and it was not high at all) and I actually had it hovering over the sea so I was bricking it for a minute!  Luckily connection restored and I was able to fly it back in.  It did loose connection a few times though and week or poor connections.... and I was standing right underneath it.

Also, during my active track flight, half way through, I realised I had forgotten to hit the record button.  So no video saved anywhere, not even on the phone.  I thought it was supposed to cache somewhere?  Can anyone help me find my footage or is it never to be found?  I notice also I'm pretty sure I took a few pictures that don't appear to have saved to my phone.  Hoping they are on the SD card.  I need to unpack still so once I do, I'll put together a video of my footage and put it up here.

I find the app a bit flawed as it seems to default to Mavic Air and connection to the Spark is slow and doesn't happen automatically, I have to go into my wifi settings and link it up.

I’ve also just downloaded the software to my iPad (as I see a lot on YouTube seem to use that over a phone) so that might be easier to use for navigation as I found the phone a bit jumpy.  It was easier after a few goes, but the small screen doesn't help for smooth movement.  I'm sure the only way to combat that is a remote so I'm definately gonna keep my eye out for a one and spare battery.... or even 2. Does anyone know if they do the fly more bundle separate to the drone at all?

Speaking of the iPad, I tried to sync my flight records but it only synced my experience points, no flight records synced at all. Why would that be?

Another thing that I find odd is that the simulator thing looks pretty cool, but I can't just try it out ... I have to connect up the Spark first ... what is the logic behind that? would be ideal to try the simulator while the battery is charging, or of a dark evening sitting on the couch.

I noticed once or twice my screen froze, so would I be correct in presuming that the video on the SD card wouln't actually freeze in these instances?

Finally any tips for a newbie?
2018-4-11
Use props
dj_dread
Second Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
United States

Congratulations!

1. the SD card will store the pictures and footage at the highest quality, as recorded by Spark's camera. on your phone you will have a lower resolution footage.
2. Active Track does not automatically start the recording. you need to press the record button otherwise it will not record
3. if not recording then no footage will be cached into your phone storage
4. Fly More comes only with a drone. and you are right, having a remote controller will help eliminate some of the connectivity issues you have now
5. Syncing flight records - you need to sync the records from your phone first, then sync on iPad. then you will have all visible on both devices. please pay attention that when hitting the Sync button you have several option for syncing: all, last month, etc. select "all" if you want to have them all on both devices.
6. no matter you screen freezes, the footage on SD card should be fine. there may be some other technical issues that may affect recording on SD. i would say it's not your case

i hope i answered some of your questions. i'll let the other guys here step in for more

enjoy!
2018-4-11
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, there. As you mentioned above, your drone disconnected with your drone and regain connection. Please ensure that you fly in a place without interference. I would recommend you fly in a recommended environment with good GPS signal. Please connect your spark with app or DJI Assistant 2 to fly simulator. I would not recommend you mount the props at that time.  
2018-4-11
Use props
Hddeuce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 128261 ft
United States

dj_dread Posted at 2018-4-11 03:51
Congratulations!

1. the SD card will store the pictures and footage at the highest quality, as recorded by Spark's camera. on your phone you will have a lower resolution footage.

4.  The Flymore combo comes with a drone, a controller, 2 batteries and the charging hub.
2018-4-11
Use props
Stevieob
lvl.2
Ireland

Congratulations!

1. the SD card will store the pictures and footage at the highest quality, as recorded by Spark's camera. on your phone you will have a lower resolution footage.

Thanks for the reply
1. Yes seems that way, but in fairness, the lower resolution on my phone aint all that bad.
2. Yes I had pressed go on the active track and it was working.... for a period!  I think more trial and error practice might be needed here.
3. ok, good to know, pity cause easy to forget to hit the record button!
4. pity there is no accessory bundle available.
5. this is interesting.  I followed all the instructions as you laid out.  I shall try again when i unpack over the next day or 2.
6.  thanks for that, i thought that might be the case
2018-4-11
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Welcome to the Spark community.  
2018-4-11
Use props
Stevieob
lvl.2
Ireland

Hddeuce Posted at 2018-4-11 05:13
4.  The Flymore combo comes with a drone, a controller, 2 batteries and the charging hub.

i think you missed the point.  I was looking to buy the fly more bundle without the drone, as i already have a drone!  I thought that DJI might just sell an accessory bundle
2018-4-11
Use props
Stevieob
lvl.2
Ireland

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-11 04:00
Hi, there. As you mentioned above, your drone disconnected with your drone and regain connection. Please ensure that you fly in a place without interference. I would recommend you fly in a recommended environment with good GPS signal. Please connect your spark with app or DJI Assistant 2 to fly simulator. I would not recommend you mount the props at that time.

thanks.  I was on an empty beach on a clear day, with good gps reception so interference was impossible.

my point regarding simulator is that it doesn't make sense to have to connect the spark as you are not flying anywhere!  and it eats the battery just having it turned on.  a simulator is just that, simulating an experience. do pilots use real planes to simulate flight?  i think not!
2018-4-11
Use props
Stevieob
lvl.2
Ireland

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-4-11 05:31
Welcome to the Spark community.

thanks, looking forward to a summer full of fun flights
2018-4-11
Use props
Oli-Shields
lvl.2
Flight distance : 62766 ft

United Kingdom

Hope you enjoy your new spark.

The flymore combo is the best value way of getting a spark as I'm sure you now know. The downside is now the controller, a battery and the charger will cost you €250. But it will transform the drone, the connection with the controller works so much further
2018-4-11
Use props
Stevieob
lvl.2
Ireland

Oli-Shields Posted at 2018-4-11 06:17
Hope you enjoy your new spark.

The flymore combo is the best value way of getting a spark as I'm sure you now know. The downside is now the controller, a battery and the charger will cost you €250. But it will transform the drone, the connection with the controller works so much further

yea it appears that way.  i think if i have to buy them all seperate like that, it will still work out cheaper than the best price i can find for the fly more combo, so the only thing im probably missing out on is the case.  might just play it by ear for now.   someone might crash their spark and sell off their gear on ebay
2018-4-11
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Canada

Stevieob Posted at 2018-4-11 05:35
thanks, looking forward to a summer full of fun flights

I'm coming to Ireland in August and bringing my spark with me.  might need some suggestions on places to see where I can fly my spark and take amazing videos.

Any suggestions?
2018-4-11
Use props
Stevieob
lvl.2
Ireland

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-4-11 07:26
I'm coming to Ireland in August and bringing my spark with me.  might need some suggestions on places to see where I can fly my spark and take amazing videos.

Any suggestions?

oh yea, there are lots of great places you could go.
im new to this so not really sure what the restrictions on flying might be but i think i read somewhere that the spark is small enough that the restrictions aren't that much.
some places which would surely be fantastic
I live near phoenix park, so gonna try fly around there myself soon, so will post up some stuff when i do
the coastling is great though, anywhere around it really, but i would say especially on the west coast, cliffs of moher would be spectacular.  maybe Newgrange, dublin & wicklow mountains, ring of Kerry, lakes of Killarney, even the bogs in the midlands i'm sure will capture some amazing footage.  those just off top of my head, plenty more i'm sure of that
2018-4-11
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

Stevieob Posted at 2018-4-11 05:34
thanks.  I was on an empty beach on a clear day, with good gps reception so interference was impossible.

my point regarding simulator is that it doesn't make sense to have to connect the spark as you are not flying anywhere!  and it eats the battery just having it turned on.  a simulator is just that, simulating an experience. do pilots use real planes to simulate flight?  i think not!

DId you have any bluetooth device around your spark? Please ensure that your antenna of RC is in the right position. Do not sheid it when you fly your spark. Sorry to tell you that you need to turn on drone to run simulator.
2018-4-11
Use props
Stevieob
lvl.2
Ireland

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-11 07:45
DId you have any bluetooth device around your spark? Please ensure that your antenna of RC is in the right position. Do not sheid it when you fly your spark. Sorry to tell you that you need to turn on drone to run simulator.

no, i just had my phone... but bluetooth may have been turned on that... i'll remember to keep that turned off in future
i dont have remote control.... yet

bit silly having to turn drone on to use simulator, is there a reason for that?
2018-4-11
Use props
Adzphotos
lvl.1

Congratulations!

Thank you... I didnt know that about the footage being lower res on the phone compared to the sd card. I always use it straight on the phone but never again..
2018-4-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Congrats and welcome to the forum
2018-4-11
Use props
Stevieob
lvl.2
Ireland

A CW Posted at 2018-4-11 08:02
Congrats and welcome to the forum

thanks
seems like this is a good community
2018-4-11
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Mubrook...you bought the best drone in DJI range.
2018-4-11
Use props
Stevieob
lvl.2
Ireland

S.J Posted at 2018-4-11 08:11
Mubrook...you bought the best drone in DJI range.

What does Mubrook mean?
2018-4-11
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Stevieob Posted at 2018-4-11 08:25
What does Mubrook mean?

congrats !
2018-4-11
Use props
Stevieob
lvl.2
Ireland

oh right thanks

Mabrook though? or Mubarak? ;)
2018-4-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Stevieob Posted at 2018-4-11 08:03
thanks
seems like this is a good community

It has it's moments LOL but generally, yes it is.
2018-4-11
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Canada

Stevieob Posted at 2018-4-11 07:45
oh yea, there are lots of great places you could go.
im new to this so not really sure what the restrictions on flying might be but i think i read somewhere that the spark is small enough that the restrictions aren't that much.
some places which would surely be fantastic

Thanks

Maybe we could exchange info (email ... ) to keep in touch or private message me anytime.

cheers,
2018-4-11
Use props
Stevieob
lvl.2
Ireland

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-4-11 11:37
Thanks

Maybe we could exchange info (email ... ) to keep in touch or private message me anytime.

of course, drop me a pm and i can give you my email address
2018-4-11
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Stevieob Posted at 2018-4-11 07:53
no, i just had my phone... but bluetooth may have been turned on that... i'll remember to keep that turned off in future
i dont have remote control.... yet

Please turn off the bluetooth device when you fly again. Connecting spark to fly your simulator can reflect the real flight clearly and help you learn drone quickly.
2018-4-12
Use props
Stevieob
lvl.2
Ireland

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-12 01:06
Please turn off the bluetooth device when you fly again. Connecting spark to fly your simulator can reflect the real flight clearly and help you learn drone quickly.

I'm not so sure.
I tried it last night in simulator mode.
Found you can only really take off, fly around and land.
You can't test out any of the fun modes... active track etc.
maybe i'll start another thread to discuss its merits rather than clutter this one.
2018-4-12
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Stevieob Posted at 2018-4-12 01:48
I'm not so sure.
I tried it last night in simulator mode.
Found you can only really take off, fly around and land.

You can always reflect your view on our forum and give us feedback. Have a nice day!
2018-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules