Mindy: Drone Crash – Compass Error After Take Off – Phantom 4...
2744 25 2018-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ph65
lvl.2
Flight distance : 314199 ft
United States

Hi DJI Mindy,
From the threads I have read you are very helpful with with helping DJI owners resolving issues and concerns.  Hoping you can assist me as well with eval of logs to determine issue, if user error and to keep from happening again.  

I have a phantom 4 pro obsidian which experienced a compass error shortly after takeoff.   I submitted a bug report including flight logs and pictures however I received no response so I submitted support ticket.   They claim the drone needs to be sent in to determine issue.   However I have and can submit flight logs.  It would be appreciated if you could have the data examined the data and provide analysis without shipment of the drone.  

Details.

Support number: Your request (‪1070157‬)

Drone Crash – Compass Error After Take Off – Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian
Shortly after takeoff, Phantom 4 Pro Drone (herein referred to as Drone) became unresponsive and started to drift like it was in ATTI mode. However, Drone appeared to be unresponsive to control commands.  The Drone continued to drift toward obstacle (6-foot fence).  Tried to lower Drone altitude to force land into grass area.  However, Drone continued to drift with little or no change in altitude and collided with obstacle 18 seconds into flight.  At all times, control display stated flight mode was P-GPS, and there was no indication the compass error had occurred (see flight log DJIFlightRecord_2018-03-30_[18-17-26].txt and see attached picture AerialPathOfCrash.JPG for path to crash (flight path skewed by 10’ or so)).
Text Log of Flight:
[["2018-03-30 18:17:26","","Your aircraft has entered a Warning Zone (Unpaved Airports). Please fly with caution."]],[["2018-03-30 18:17:35","","Home Point Recorded. RTH Altitude:  30m."],["2018-03-30 18:17:43","","Obstacle Avoided. Revise Flight Route"]]
The "Obstacle Avoided. Revise Flight Route" is a fallacy as the Drone collided with obstacle.  
There have been many flights from this specific location as it is used for practice takeoff for tight locations over water.  Nothing observed in sight that would cause magnetic interference.
At practice locations different from crash flight location, there have been compass redundancy warning or a similar warning prior to the ready for takeoff display which has increased in frequency recently (last month).  When compass redundancy warnings occur, instructions stated and displayed are followed and moved Drone over five feet or cycle power which resolves the compass redundancy warning or similar warning.  After the crash, relocated Drone to a large practice field and similar compass redundancy warning occurred (see attached DJIFlightRecord_2018-03-30_[19-21-54].txt flight log (no takeoff) for compass warning and see picture CompassRedunWarnNoTakeOff.JPG and that was uploaded with report).
Is this Drone experiencing hardware or firmware faults?  How is this issue resolved?  
Looking forward to your analysis of what occurred, how to resolve, repair, and instructions to how to land Drone when such compass errors occur.
See attach pictures AerialPathOfCrash.JPG, CrashTakeOffAndCompassError.JPG, CrashEndOfLog.JPG for information on crash
See attached picture of example of compass redundancy warning: CompassRedunWarnNoTakeOff.JPG
Regards,

Thanks
2018-4-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Thanks for your trust and sorry for what happened to your drone, but the data analysis can only be conducted by our professional data analysis team, we still recommend to send in firstly and the team will export the flight data and do their best to locate the problem.
For no response from the 'Bug Feedback' in the APP, we have reported this situation to the management department for attention, please contact our support team via email, online chat, phone or Forum in priority if anything happens or you need any assistance, thanks for your understanding.
2018-4-11
Use props
Ph65
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-11 19:50
Thanks for your trust and sorry for what happened to your drone, but the data analysis can only be conducted by our professional data analysis team, we still recommend to send in firstly and the team will export the flight data and do their best to locate the problem.
For no response from the 'Bug Feedback' in the APP, we have reported this situation to the management department for attention, please contact our support team via email, online chat, phone or Forum in priority if anything happens or you need any assistance, thanks for your understanding.

Hi Mindy,
If DJI can’t perform at least a preliminary analysis of the flight data, then what is the purpose of asking to attach the flight logs in the bug feedback section of support?

Also, using DJI’s assistant 2 app, the onboard data can be analyzed as I have reviewed.   I have downloaded the file from the drone as well.   I have seen posts on this forum where DJI refernces this data in its analysis and opinion of root cause of failure.   Why can’t I get a preliminary findings.

If I recall, you or other admins have asked other drone owners to upload flight data to a Dropbox.

Cheers
2018-4-12
Use props
Ph65
lvl.2
United States

Ph65 Posted at 2018-4-12 04:23
Hi Mindy,
If DJI can’t perform at least a preliminary analysis of the flight data, then what is the purpose of asking to attach the flight logs in the bug feedback section of support?

And if it’s a question of - is it under warranty.. yes it is.   Purchased late Dec 2017.  Figure that information is tied to my account, but if not, I can provide.
2018-4-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Ph65 Posted at 2018-4-12 05:12
And if it’s a question of - is it under warranty.. yes it is.   Purchased late Dec 2017.  Figure that information is tied to my account, but if not, I can provide.

Thanks for getting back to us. May I know what's the current status of the drone? is there any obvious damage? If the drone needs repair, we'd suggest sending the unit in and arrange data analysis to avoid further troubles. Also, I'm afraid that the performance cannot be ensured after the crash, if you insist, we're still glad to help if you can upload the DAT files and share us the link. We'll forward to the right team to review.
2018-4-13
Use props
Ph65
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-13 00:57
Thanks for getting back to us. May I know what's the current status of the drone? is there any obvious damage? If the drone needs repair, we'd suggest sending the unit in and arrange data analysis to avoid further troubles. Also, I'm afraid that the performance cannot be ensured after the crash, if you insist, we're still glad to help if you can upload the DAT files and share us the link. We'll forward to the right team to review.

Drone has a few marks/ cosmetic issues.  Props took the blunt of impact with fence and have damage.  From the list of warranty items covered, it says props not covered so I take it those would not be replace under warranty?  Fell 2 feet into grass after slowly colliding into fence.  Functions as it did before crash.  

Where would you like me to upload the dat files?    Let me know which ones you need.  I have the ones downloaded from the dji app and the ones from the drone.

Thanks
2018-4-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Ph65 Posted at 2018-4-13 04:31
Drone has a few marks/ cosmetic issues.  Props took the blunt of impact with fence and have damage.  From the list of warranty items covered, it says props not covered so I take it those would not be replace under warranty?  Fell 2 feet into grass after slowly colliding into fence.  Functions as it did before crash.  

Where would you like me to upload the dat files?    Let me know which ones you need.  I have the ones downloaded from the dji app and the ones from the drone.

If it is a warranty case according to the data analysis, we'll replace the propellers as well. Also, the files we need are the flight records in APP and DAT files in the aircraft. It will be better if you can offer all the crash data once for all.
2018-4-13
Use props
Ph65
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-13 05:41
If it is a warranty case according to the data analysis, we'll replace the propellers as well. Also, the files we need are the flight records in APP and DAT files in the aircraft. It will be better if you can offer all the crash data once for all.

Where do you want me to upload files to?  Does DJI have a preferred location?   The data files from the app have been provided through bug feedback, but I can upload them all if you let me know where to put them.

Thanks
2018-4-13
Use props
Ph65
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-13 05:41
If it is a warranty case according to the data analysis, we'll replace the propellers as well. Also, the files we need are the flight records in APP and DAT files in the aircraft. It will be better if you can offer all the crash data once for all.

Should I email the files to here ?  Should I compress with .zip?

mailto:support.us@dji.com

Have you been able locate the files I uploaded via bug feedback?

2018-4-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Ph65 Posted at 2018-4-15 19:40
Should I email the files to here ?  Should I compress with .zip?

mailto:support.us@dji.com

We do not support the data on the third-party software. Please kindly upload all original files to Dropbox or Google Drive, then share the link with us here, thanks!
2018-4-15
Use props
Ph65
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-15 21:00
We do not support the data on the third-party software. Please kindly upload all original files to Dropbox or Google Drive, then share the link with us here, thanks!

Here is the the link to the flight data from the day of the crash/compass error.  Also reference the first post in this thread for details.

Directory DJIoffDroneFlyLog contains the log files downloaded from the drone for the day of the incident.   The other two directories contain the logs downloaded from the DJI Go 4 application for the day of the incident.  Please let me know that you are able to download and view the data.   If issues I will work to resolve.  

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lyumg ... sSYT-8hZNPUQ9a?dl=0

2018-4-17
Use props
Ph65
lvl.2
United States

Ph65 Posted at 2018-4-13 05:55
Where do you want me to upload files to?  Does DJI have a preferred location?   The data files from the app have been provided through bug feedback, but I can upload them all if you let me know where to put them.

Thanks

Have you been able to download and start the analysis?
Thanks
2018-4-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Ph65 Posted at 2018-4-18 18:29
Have you been able to download and start the analysis?
Thanks

Sorry for the late response due to personal leave. The link works well and I have downloaded and forwarded to our engineers for analysis. We'll come back as long as there is an update.
2018-4-18
Use props
Ph65
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-18 19:57
Sorry for the late response due to personal leave. The link works well and I have downloaded and forwarded to our engineers for analysis. We'll come back as long as there is an update.

Hi Susan,
Could you provide an approximate amount of time the analysis will take?
Thanks
2018-4-23
Use props
Ph65
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-18 19:57

Hi Susan,
Thanks
2018-4-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Ph65 Posted at 2018-4-23 04:53
Hi Susan,
Thanks

Your case has been forwarded to the right team for further follow-up. They will contact you as soon as the data analysis finished. Thanks for your patience.
2018-4-23
Use props
Ph65
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-23 18:49
Your case has been forwarded to the right team for further follow-up. They will contact you as soon as the data analysis finished. Thanks for your patience.

I received an email today - CAS-1712630-F0F9L1 CRM:0674000003773

It appears there is a disconnect between information here and the email.  Email references sending in the drone to DJI for flight records from the aircraft and mobile device to be assessed.   However I have provided the requested information on this forum.   Is the forum and support US out of sync?   

It was interesting the message stated DJI would pay for shipping.

2018-4-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Ph65 Posted at 2018-4-25 20:15
I received an email today - CAS-1712630-F0F9L1 CRM:0674000003773

It appears there is a disconnect between information here and the email.  Email references sending in the drone to DJI for flight records from the aircraft and mobile device to be assessed.   However I have provided the requested information on this forum.   Is the forum and support US out of sync?   

All info you offered here have been transferred to the right team for review, please refer the email guides for further steps. The shipping label will be arranged as long as your location is qualified for free shipping.
2018-4-27
Use props
Ph65
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-27 01:44
All info you offered here have been transferred to the right team for review, please refer the email guides for further steps. The shipping label will be arranged as long as your location is qualified for free shipping.

Are you saying I’m not going to an preliminary analysis prior shipment?   The point here was to try and not ship if it is determined to be user error.     Why risk shipment damage, handling etc it not needed.   Not to mention loss of use.  Why did you ask for the logs?  Confused, please clarify .

Also it did not apppear clear if I do ship, if to use the dji case the drone came with as the shipping container?   Also, if used, would the container be returned?

2018-4-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Ph65 Posted at 2018-4-27 04:36
Are you saying I’m not going to an preliminary analysis prior shipment?   The point here was to try and not ship if it is determined to be user error.     Why risk shipment damage, handling etc it not needed.   Not to mention loss of use.  Why did you ask for the logs?  Confused, please clarify .

Also it did not apppear clear if I do ship, if to use the dji case the drone came with as the shipping container?   Also, if used, would the container be returned?

I'm sorry for the confusion. It is the normal progress of repair case. Our engineers have reviewed the data and would suggest sending the unit in as well. Please kindly arrange at your earliest convenience, thanks!
2018-4-27
Use props
Ph65
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-27 20:09
I'm sorry for the confusion. It is the normal progress of repair case. Our engineers have reviewed the data and would suggest sending the unit in as well. Please kindly arrange at your earliest convenience, thanks!

Can you share some of their findings?

What about the using the dji styrofoam container that the drone came in when purchased and will that container be returned?

Thanks
2018-4-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Ph65 Posted at 2018-4-27 21:00
Can you share some of their findings?

What about the using the dji styrofoam container that the drone came in when purchased and will that container be returned?

It is recommended to send the unit in with the original package. If the RC works well, please send the aircraft only in.
2018-4-28
Use props
Ph65
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-28 03:48
It is recommended to send the unit in with the original package. If the RC works well, please send the aircraft only in.

Could you please address all questions?   Not sure I follow, if remote control works don’t send it in?   Will I get the container back? What did your engineers say?
2018-4-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Ph65 Posted at 2018-4-28 04:06
Could you please address all questions?   Not sure I follow, if remote control works don’t send it in?   Will I get the container back? What did your engineers say?

They just suggested sending the unit in. If the RC works well, no need to the RC in. Hope this makes it clear.
2018-4-29
Use props
Ph65
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-29 19:59
They just suggested sending the unit in. If the RC works well, no need to the RC in. Hope this makes it clear.

Will I get the container back?
Not sure why I’m only getting part answers.  
2018-4-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Ph65 Posted at 2018-4-30 05:03
Will I get the container back?
Not sure why I’m only getting part answers.

Sorry for the late response. Pre the case, our colleagues have replied your concerns about the styrofoam container, the local team will take care of it and we'll keep follow up as well. Thanks for your understanding.
2018-5-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules