661 13 2018-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

Hello all!

Since I started watching tutorials and reading the forum, I realized everyone (or almost everyone) is recommending the video options in -3,0,-3. What I can't find is the reason why that is being recommended.

i can understand -3 in contrast, so you don't lose information in the dark areas and it helps you in the post processing, but why -3 to sharpen? Why not default 0?

Anyone? Thanks!

2018-4-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is usually for people who also use d-log to create very flat footage and images which is easier to manipulate in post editing.
2018-4-12
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-4-12 04:11
This is usually for people who also use d-log to create very flat footage and images which is easier to manipulate in post editing.

In my case I just want to be able to edit brightness/contrast and some saturation.

Should I follow the rules either way or can I go to -3,0,0?

Also...do the same settings apply to photos? My pictures at dawn seem veeeery flat.

Thanks!
2018-4-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bokepacha Posted at 2018-4-12 04:14
In my case I just want to be able to edit brightness/contrast and some saturation.

Should I follow the rules either way or can I go to -3,0,0?

If you're looking to do 'minor' editing (iMovies) then I tend to shoot +1, 0, +1 myself but it depends on what I want to capture and the style of the image I want to create. I personally like quite saturated, sharp images with bold colours - everyone has different styles and preferences when it comes to photography. You have these options to suit your needs - there is no 'one-for-all' setting. Experiment with all of them and see which best suits you.
2018-4-12
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Netherlands

True. I like the idea of d-logging the video so you have more room for later. I think I am going to change the sharpen setting to 0 for now. I can always modify it later in Vegas Pro.

Thanks!
2018-4-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bokepacha Posted at 2018-4-12 04:30
True. I like the idea of d-logging the video so you have more room for later. I think I am going to change the sharpen setting to 0 for now. I can always modify it later in Vegas Pro.

Thanks!

The higher bitrate on the MA will help with that too. Be sure to post some of your work on here when it's finished.
2018-4-12
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-4-12 04:34
The higher bitrate on the MA will help with that too. Be sure to post some of your work on here when it's finished.

I have been running only tests to get used to the drone and the interface so far. The only nice 10 seconds video is from the old bell tower in the city center...which I visited in 2 minutes and took the drone back (not really legal stuff to do, to be fair, so no pics or videos online ).

Next week we'll have nicer weather so I guess I'll be able to take more videos and pics and I'll definitively share some!

The only picture I have, so far, is this one form the first day. A bit of post processing for the HDR. Lots of improvement though...

Thanks for the hints and support!
2018-4-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bokepacha Posted at 2018-4-12 04:40
I have been running only tests to get used to the drone and the interface so far. The only nice 10 seconds video is from the old bell tower in the city center...which I visited in 2 minutes and took the drone back (not really legal stuff to do, to be fair, so no pics or videos online  ).

Next week we'll have nicer weather so I guess I'll be able to take more videos and pics and I'll definitively share some!

No probs - nice first shot too
2018-4-12
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-4-12 04:42
No probs - nice first shot too

Thanks!. I fixed the link to have the full resolution one. Now you can see Utrecht in the background
2018-4-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bokepacha Posted at 2018-4-12 04:46
Thanks!. I fixed the link to have the full resolution one. Now you can see Utrecht in the background

Just had a little play with your still in photos - really nice shot.
2018-4-12
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Netherlands

Nice one. A bit overdone in the sky but the ground is way better than mine!

The whole bottom half is strangely  desaturated. It's way too grey in my pic (and it's been already processed!!). I will run more tests
2018-4-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bokepacha Posted at 2018-4-12 05:08
Nice one. A bit overdone in the sky but the ground is way better than mine!

The whole bottom half is strangely  desaturated. It's way too grey in my pic (and it's been already processed!!). I will run more tests

That's 30 seconds of editing tweaking the dynamic range - shadows and blacks then enhancing the definition and putting added warmth in the sky. I brought the clouds out too much but that makes it look a little more dramatic - as I said, it all comes down to personal taste with these things. The fact you put the drone in that position and took the still is impressive in itself - just a little bit of playing around in post and you're there. That's the first still I have edited from a Mavic Air - impressive little drone!
2018-4-12
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-4-12 05:16
Thats 30 seconds of editing tweaking the dynamic range - shadows and blacks then enhancing the definition and putting added warmth in the sky. I brought the loads out too much but that makes it look a little more dramatic - as I said, it all comes down to personal taste with these things. The fact you put the drone in that position and took the still is impressive in itself - just a little bit of playing around in post and you're there. That's the first still I have edited from a Mavic Air - impressive little drone!

Haha true, true. Wasn't trying to create a critic though. ;)

It made me realize the picture needs a lot more work, but as it is just a jpg and not a raw image, I'll leave it as it is and focus on the following ones!

Thanks!

2018-4-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bokepacha Posted at 2018-4-12 05:19
Haha true, true. Wasn't trying to create a critic though. ;)

It made me realize the picture needs a lot more work, but as it is just a jpg and not a raw image, I'll leave it as it is and focus on the following ones!

No probs - keep at it and look forward to seeing more down the line mate.
2018-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules