Overcoming Your Fears
1707 19 2018-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

When you were a new drone flyer, what scared you that seems silly now?

I've only been at this for about a month and I already have a few.  One was: I used to think something would go terribly wrong if I flew higher than 100 feet.  Now, I realize how stupid that was.

Maybe sharing some of these can help me and other "newbies" to just relax already.

2018-4-12
Use props
Franko
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23255 ft

I was afraid to fly over water. Ponds, lakes, ocean. Not anymore!
2018-4-12
Use props
salmonshark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 206352 ft
United States

i was afraid of everything lol...   and the one thing i still have some fear of is the distance away from the home point....   i still get nervous with that and still a little nervous flying over water....  I have a MPP and to me what I consider a good chunk of money invested.  I don't want to lose it lol
2018-4-12
Use props
Rawsome
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Still gets my heart pumping every time, even though technology has come a long way, weird stuff happens all the time, loss of signal or gps, ati mode etc.
But I think that excitement is why its so addicting, no?
2018-4-12
Use props
sky6105
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

For me it was my first DJI product and not knowing what to expect.
I now put a lot of trust in the DJI products and the thought of a fly a way has gone away.
Water was another issue was always afraid of flying over it so I conquered it it doesn't bother me as much anymore.
What ever makes you uneasy just do that part of flying as much as you can.
Right now I am flying at night every chance I can using the drone icon to come back home.
All of these will come easier for you the more chances you get to fly.
Remember if you panic just let go of the stick it will hover in place breath and and figure what should i do now.
FLY SAFE....
2018-4-13
Use props
Marian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340597 ft

Great post!
Weirdly enough for me, it is more frightening when I can't see my drone any more than flying over water. When flying LOS check the controller and look back up and then...nothing. I am like oh oh.

Like the OP, I still have to get used to it to let my drone "go".

As we all spent a good junk of money on that it is only fair to have those thoughts. What however calms me down is that I have the care refresh and I think/"hope" okay if its gone in the sea I get a new one. I know its silly but it helps.
2018-4-13
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
New Zealand

Marian, same for me. Like that vid I posted, where there was a line of trees in the background; had to lift the drone above the trees a couple of times so it stood out more against the blue sky. Or when you’re looking for it, and it turns out to be in a completely different part of the sky - knocks my confidence a little still, makes me question my sense of spatial awareness. Or when you can hear it, but not see it!

Silly really, but I’m definitely getting better.
2018-4-13
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Interesting post. Practice more and overcome the fear, happy flying!
2018-4-15
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

For me it was everything.  I did not know controls that well.  Was afraid to fly anywhere even in open field.  I would always get my orientation mixed if it was facing me or away.   I stayed with it and learned what I needed to learn.  Just stick with it and you will get it.  always read the manual that comes with your device and check out the many youtube tutorials that are out there.   
2018-4-15
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

My biggest fear was flying over a 100ft and flying over water. But my P3A gave me confidence and I don't have those fears anymore.
2018-4-15
Use props
djiuser_iGJqCoTNTQSa
lvl.4

I don't overcome my fears, because fear keeps you wise. I am scared of heights, but that doesn't stop me from doing this, rather it makes me smarter. What I do is acknowledge that the fear exists and use it to make rational decisions. I fear losing the drone, I fear hitting someone, I fear prop failure, etc. Thus, I keep the drone VLOS, I don't fly over people or where I can hurt people, and I check my props.
2018-4-15
Use props
Vaporay
lvl.4
Flight distance : 870673 ft
United States

Aircraft Disconnected

Happened once on one of my first few times flying, but it recovered. Second time happened going straight up and away. More in a brief state of shock than fear that it was directly in front overhead 150ft away just hovering with no control. One of the only times I've used Return to Home & thank goodness that still worked.
2018-4-15
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

Vaporay Posted at 2018-4-15 21:21
Aircraft Disconnected

Happened once on one of my first few times flying, but it recovered. Second time happened going straight up and away. More in a brief state of shock than fear that it was directly in front overhead 150ft away just hovering with no control. One of the only times I've used Return to Home & thank goodness that still worked.

See, this post is kinda what we're trying to avoid here.  

Newbies come to the forum and see an inordinate amount of "trouble"and "failure and "crash" posts.  The posts rightfully belong here but it gives newbies the false perception that these incidents are much more prevalent than they actually are.

How about some more positive posts about silly fears you once had but no longer do.
2018-4-19
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

In answer to the OP's question - fear is a relative term... overcoming any fear is all about conditioning ... and this comes through structured practice - much like an airplane or helicopter pilot's development. Getting comfortable bit by bit, so that when something happens, you automatically go through the process of regaining control as best you can all the while keeping cool calm and collected. Needless to say, I'd not want to dampen anyone's thrill of flying drones but always a good idea to work within your envelope of capability - so the process is one of fun and achievement, rather than a roller-coaster of emotions. (Of course the later is where mistakes are made...!)
2018-4-19
Use props
Marian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340597 ft

Bluehook Posted at 2018-4-19 07:26
See, this post is kinda what we're trying to avoid here.  

Newbies come to the forum and see an inordinate amount of "trouble"and "failure and "crash" posts.  The posts rightfully belong here but it gives newbies the false perception that these incidents are much more prevalent than they actually are.

I like your way of thinking. You are so right, I remember when I first got here to get some information about the Phantom 2 I most likely thought if I really should buy one or not.

Nevertheless, I decided to go for it and never had any issues with it. It was a great AC back then but more positive posts should be posted.

Maybe the current fear, don't forget your memory card. Nothing worse than that
2018-4-19
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

For me it was as many other say, flying over water. I also had some "incidents" with switching to ATTI mode in the beginning but then the former practice with the Phantom 3 was handy to have in the back of the head. The software or firmware was not as "stable" and reliable as it is today, It was a lot of scary stories about the MP in the beginning but over time it has become better and better.
2018-4-19
Use props
ny300z
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

"Fear causes hesitation and hesitation will cause your worse fears to come true" - Bohdi
2018-4-19
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

What do I Fear,.... It is the UNEXPECTED.
It has happened to all of us with one of these at one time or another:
Disconnect, Battery low, Drift,  High winds, Compass error, Prop flew off. Gimbal glitch. Bad weather, Loss GPS, Cable disconnect, Emergency landing, RTH. and there are many more UNEXPECTED that has been encountered.
Needless to say my advise to Newbies, Take it in Stride and don't Panic.

Remember that if you do encounter a problem The DJI forum and DJI Support is here to assist.
Fly safe and obey the laws of your area.

2018-4-19
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

ny300z Posted at 2018-4-19 11:18
"Fear causes hesitation and hesitation will cause your worse fears to come true" - Bohdi

AKA Yoda? ;-)
2018-4-19
Use props
Six6Sics #666
lvl.3
Flight distance : 164236 ft
Australia

my fear is STILL lingering.....

everytime I build my confidence and venture higher/further, something will go wrong eg: bird attack, fly off, signal loss etc

have flown over water with no issues nor fear nor second thought, but have got a self imposed 100mtr high limit for fear of my MP flying to the moon by itself..... silly, I know.

i also seem to be getting a lot of high wind warnings recently, seems possibly that some parameters within the software have changed.
2018-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules