New recomended dji device - same problems_Help..
12Next >
49354 63 2018-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Hi all,

beeen having image problems  (pixilation, white snake lines and image washout) on my device for the past year.
Some times it is so bad that i simply cant see the image in my device screen.

Finally was able to purchase a new device that is on dji recomended list (Samsung note 4)
I am still having the exact same image quality problem on my device however it is worse than before.

Please watch this very short clip and tell me what causes this type of pixilation and snake lines in the image on my device screen.

I have tried to load the clip onto this thread but is not working -  
Please copy the link below to your browser to view the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB8jMYLL_Fg

2018-4-13
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

2018-4-13
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

wow that is quite severe

2018-4-13
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Is that on the SD card too! I had a similar issue last time out, but it lasted about 3 seconds and attributed to being too close to power lines above and behind. I moved and no problems. Will test today and see if anything shows up. on both IOS and android.
2018-4-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Hi Bekaru. A friend of mine also flies the Pro using a Samsung S5 and his screen shows the same type of pixilation but when we view the footage on the SD card the video is perfect. After doing some digging it was found that the ram/available memory was insufficient. The phone used more then 3/4 of the Ram/memory to keep the phone running even if all Apps were closed and in Airplane mode. What we did(not asking you to do same) was to load a new rom onto the phone which used much less ram and now he has no issues with it. Apparently the Older Samsung Generation phones were very much Ram Hungry.
2018-4-13
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

LOL, DJI strikes again.

Fast forward six months if your situation is like mine.

Try to fix problems through DJI
Try to fix problems with help of boardsTry new I phone
Try new i pad
No fun when app keeps crashing
Take off and reach 6 ft of hight, drone spins out of control, crashes
DJI refresh says crash is your fault, must pay to repair

There, saved you six months.

2018-4-13
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

Actually, now that I think about it..........

You have been having massive problems haven't you? Flow a million meters, but how many of those were with defective drones? Crazy man, DJI sucks balls.
2018-4-13
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Suren Posted at 2018-4-13 02:43
Hi Bekaru. A friend of mine also flies the Pro using a Samsung S5 and his screen shows the same type of pixilation but when we view the footage on the SD card the video is perfect. After doing some digging it was found that the ram/available memory was insufficient. The phone used more then 3/4 of the Ram/memory to keep the phone running even if all Apps were closed and in Airplane mode. What we did(not asking you to do same) was to load a new rom onto the phone which used much less ram and now he has no issues with it. Apparently the Older Samsung Generation phones were very much Ram Hungry.

I agree, this looks like a phone that has difficulties in performance, it looks like it can't process rendering the image fast enough...

A Samsung Note 4 is a 4 year old technology phone with a very high resolution, and especially that high resolution could be bottlenecking the processing time.

You could try lowering the resolution of the phone with somekind of setting or app and see if it helps.
2018-4-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Bulldog Posted at 2018-4-13 04:21

You have been having massive problems haven't you? Flow a million meters, but how many of those were with defective drones? Crazy man, DJI sucks balls.

Hey Bulldog, You cant still be having issues
2018-4-13
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-13 00:22
Is that on the SD card too! I had a similar issue last time out, but it lasted about 3 seconds and attributed to being too close to power lines above and behind. I moved and no problems. Will test today and see if anything shows up. on both IOS and android.

hi m2w - no its not on the sd card, so thats a good thing - however as you can see the image is so bad and is often worse, that i cant see where the heck i am or whats on my screen which makes setting up objects to film pretty tough/often impossible.
Recently it has not been bad like this but now those issues are back again - coincidently with the new app version?
2018-4-13
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-13 00:19
wow that is quite severe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB8jMYLL_Fg

thanks for posting the clip for me.
Its been a friday 13th for me - tried a few ties but it would not work for me - thanks for your help.
2018-4-13
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

Suren Posted at 2018-4-13 02:43
Hi Bekaru. A friend of mine also flies the Pro using a Samsung S5 and his screen shows the same type of pixilation but when we view the footage on the SD card the video is perfect. After doing some digging it was found that the ram/available memory was insufficient. The phone used more then 3/4 of the Ram/memory to keep the phone running even if all Apps were closed and in Airplane mode. What we did(not asking you to do same) was to load a new rom onto the phone which used much less ram and now he has no issues with it. Apparently the Older Samsung Generation phones were very much Ram Hungry.

Thanks Suren - that makes sense. it does appear something like a ram issue - i am bulldog frustrated because this device is on the dji list and i still have problems.
I will check out what loading rom is about and may perhaps try that.
First step though is that i refreshed the phone today - will reload the app and see how i get on with that - failing which i will think about the rom option or hope to sell the phone again.
2018-4-13
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

Bulldog Posted at 2018-4-13 04:19
LOL, DJI strikes again.

Fast forward six months if your situation is like mine.

i feel you bulldog.
Fortunately for other users they do not have these unresolved issues that you and me suffer from.
Until or unless they do they really have no idea what levels of frustration and time wasting it causes.
Fortunately mine has not yet been fatal - every day i get my drone back from flight is considered a miracle.
would not hurt so bad if it was not such expensive kit - even then would be unacceptable.
2018-4-13
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-13 08:01
Thanks Suren - that makes sense. it does appear something like a ram issue - i am bulldog frustrated because this device is on the dji list and i still have problems.
First step though is that i refreshed the phone today - will reload the app and see how i get on with that - failing which i will think about the rom option or hope to sell the phone again.

Let us know how it goes.  It for sure looks like a ram issue the way it is chopping like that.  I get the same thing on my iPhone 6 when I am flying and recording the screen at the same time it is just too much for the iPhone to handle and does the same exact thing.  Would be interesting to see if refreshing it works.  Make sure and kill ALL apps prior to flying and see if that helps.  Sorry to hear about your issue Beraku.  
2018-4-13
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-13 07:57
thanks for posting the clip for me.
Its been a friday 13th for me - tried a few ties but it would not work for me - thanks for your help.

My pleasure.

Just a heads up.......I too had a few minor issues today after upgrading the new app, compass errors, gimble dance, really bad snake lines and choppy video feed. I resolved it by uninstalling the app and reinstalling it when I got home, tested it this afternoon with 3 batteries and no issues.  Will keep an eye on it, though lol
2018-4-13
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-4-13 05:38
I agree, this looks like a phone that has difficulties in performance, it looks like it can't process rendering the image fast enough...

A Samsung Note 4 is a 4 year old technology phone with a very high resolution, and especially that high resolution could be bottlenecking the processing time.

hi losbol. i agree with you and suren that it appears to be not keeping up :
i asked dji many times what are the prefered specs so that i could make an informed decision but all they do is refer me to the recommended list - finally i was able to get a device from the list and it still does not work.
Today i made a possible interesting obsevation: my image problems always start at bottom of device screen and either comes right or gets worse.
Today i did a short video clip in portrait mode and the problem now starts at the left side.

Trying to make sense of this observation but it does seem to be a clue to identify the origin of the issue which i believe then causes too much stress on the cpu or gpu or ram.
I just refreshed my phone today so will try that first before looking to lower the resolution although actually it is only the screen resolution and size that attracts me to samsung so would be sorry to lose its only redeeming feature.
2018-4-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-13 08:01
Thanks Suren - that makes sense. it does appear something like a ram issue - i am bulldog frustrated because this device is on the dji list and i still have problems.
First step though is that i refreshed the phone today - will reload the app and see how i get on with that - failing which i will think about the rom option or hope to sell the phone again.

To load a new rom on an Android device means to typically root your device. Given that the Note 4 is an old phone so you will have no issues with warranty. The first step would be is to find a smooth rom that does not use a lot of ram like cyanogenmod custom roms, use the link to find out more but be very careful there is a very high risk of bricking the phone if all instructions and not followed properly.

http://www.androidbeat.com/2015/ ... roms-galaxy-note-4/
2018-4-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-13 08:10
Let us know how it goes.  It for sure looks like a ram issue the way it is chopping like that.  I get the same thing on my iPhone 6 when I am flying and recording the screen at the same time it is just too much for the iPhone to handle and does the same exact thing.  Would be interesting to see if refreshing it works.  Make sure and kill ALL apps prior to flying and see if that helps.  Sorry to hear about your issue Beraku.

Hey Sparks. Are you using Du recorder while flying? If yes you should not have issues while doing that with an iPhone, i sometimes use it with my iPhone 6s+ and do not experience any issues. Maybe you should look at clearing the video cache.
2018-4-13
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

Bulldog Posted at 2018-4-13 04:21

all my flight milage was done with my current drone only.
i never had any other dji product before.
i cant justify spending that kind of money again on another drone that may or may not work perfectly.
For this kind of money anything less than perfect is unacceptable and i cant afford to make the same expensive mistake again.
I am happy to be enthusiastic when people ask about my drone but i always tell them the down sides i have been experiancing as well and point out what risks that brings to their investment.
2018-4-13
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

Suren Posted at 2018-4-13 08:21
To load a new rom on an Android device means to typically root your device. Given that the Note 4 is an old phone so you will have no issues with warranty. The first step would be is to find a smooth rom that does not use a lot of ram like cyanogenmod custom roms, use the link to find out more but be very careful there is a very high risk of bricking the phone if all instructions and not followed properly.

http://www.androidbeat.com/2015/04/5-best-custom-roms-galaxy-note-4/

hey suren - thanks for the briefing and referances. Right so i heard about rooting a phone - thought about doing that to my first samsung device (after everything else failed) but eventually the risk of bricking it has kept me away from that - but i will think on it some more and maybe give it a try in a week or so if i do 'nt come right - thanks again
2018-4-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-13 08:36
hey suren - thanks for the briefing and referances. Right so i heard about rooting a phone - thought about doing that to my first samsung device (after everything else failed) but eventually the risk of bricking it has kept me away from that - but i will think on it some more and maybe give it a try in a week or so if i do 'nt come right - thanks again

All the best my Friend and hope you come right in the end
2018-4-13
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-13 08:10
Let us know how it goes.  It for sure looks like a ram issue the way it is chopping like that.  I get the same thing on my iPhone 6 when I am flying and recording the screen at the same time it is just too much for the iPhone to handle and does the same exact thing.  Would be interesting to see if refreshing it works.  Make sure and kill ALL apps prior to flying and see if that helps.  Sorry to hear about your issue Beraku.

thanks for pointing out the detail about your iphone - makes me feel confident your advice is on the right track.
just wish i could test other phones - i would even be willing to break the bank if i knew a certain device would work for sure but i cant afford to spend outrageous money a phone only to find out down the line that it is actually a problem with my drone.

2018-4-13
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-13 08:12
My pleasure.

Just a heads up.......I too had a few minor issues today after upgrading the new app, compass errors, gimble dance, really bad snake lines and choppy video feed. I resolved it by uninstalling the app and reinstalling it when I got home, tested it this afternoon with 3 batteries and no issues.  Will keep an eye on it, though lol

thanks m2 - it is no coincidence that my issues seem to be better and worse with new app versions and intermittent updates.
Thanks for mentioning the type of image quality issues you r experiancing - sounds similar to mine which at least makes me feel better - well quite a bit better really because the possibility of my drone being part of the problem is an idea i have had no reason (till now) to stop worrying about or consider less likely.
I did refresh my phone today so i will have to reload the app - hopefully like yrs did, mine will come right.
2018-4-13
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

Suren Posted at 2018-4-13 08:39
All the best my Friend and hope you come right in the end

thanks suren -
2018-4-13
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-13 08:59
thanks m2 - it is no coincidence that my issues seem to be better and worse with new app versions and intermittent updates.
Thanks for mentioning the type of image quality issues you r experiancing - sounds similar to mine which at least makes me feel better - well quite a bit better really because the possibility of my drone being part of the problem is an idea i have had no reason (till now) to stop worrying about or consider less likely.
I did refresh my phone today so i will have to reload the app - hopefully like yrs did, mine will come right.

I hope yours does sort itself out too. Fingers crossed for you mate.
2018-4-13
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-13 08:21
hi losbol. i agree with you and suren that it appears to be not keeping up :
i asked dji many times what are the prefered specs so that i could make an informed decision but all they do is refer me to the recommended list - finally i was able to get a device from the list and it still does not work.
Today i made a possible interesting obsevation: my image problems always start at bottom of device screen and either comes right or gets worse.

They probably could recommend the Note 4, 4 years ago. The app was probably a whole lot less lightweight back then.
My hunch is they don't test recommended devices with every new iteration of the app. So what was good 4 years ago, could easily be not capable anymore at this point in time.
Especially the GPU of devices evolve very quickly, and with that the apps evolve the same using that.

Anyway, I did a very quick search on youtube 'change screen resoltution samsung note 4' and came across this video with an app which can downscale the resolution of the Note 4, you can try setting the DJI GO App to 75% which downscales the QHD screen resolution to FHD resolution. Theoretically that would lessen the strain on the GPU with 100%.
It's worth a try.

2018-4-13
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

@Bekaru MP UAV, if you haven't attempted to optimize your phone yet, then try these tips.
2018-4-13
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
United States

Man, you are living the exact same nightmare I am living. I am a jerk about it, and getting no help. You are a perfect gentleman, and getting no help. Lol. Maybe the answer is, if you received defective drone, it's defective and not going to work properly. Doesn't matter how many devices you try, how many times you send in for refresh, or ones attitude ext ext. You and I are in that camp. Sucks......

I did find it funny when you said it's a miracle every flight the drone comes back. This is EXACTLY how I felt until the end. If (and I do mean if) I ever get my drone back from DJI, I might make a video of the longest Mavic Pro flight in history. Just send it off intot he mountains and see how far she can go. lol.
2018-4-13
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

msinger Posted at 2018-4-13 10:36
@Bekaru MP UAV, if you haven't attempted to optimize your phone yet, then try these tips.

hi msinger - thank you - i refreshed my phone today and done nothing to it till i got your mail.
Now i have followed the steps per 'these tips' -
1 comment wrt 'these tips'
i always put it to charge because the other option for midi input kicks me out - so what to do about that? i will anyway follow your recomendation and see how it goes.
Another separate comment: i noticed a toggle switch for adaptive screen display - i turned this off. I noticed during flights that sometimes the screen sometimes goes darker and lighter, i imagined it was some sort of adaptive light function and wondered if that was not a contributor to my poor screen image problems.
Lastly - i like to keep local video cache on because i edit often in dji go app because i totally suck at other editing programes and dji already has music - so i will unfortunately leave that on - hope it is not a game changer.
Thanks for your well laid out tips page - much appreciated.
I will see how it goes tomorrow and let you know.
2018-4-13
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-4-13 10:21
They probably could recommend the Note 4, 4 years ago. The app was probably a whole lot less lightweight back then.
My hunch is they don't test recommended devices with every new iteration of the app. So what was good 4 years ago, could easily be not capable anymore at this point in time.
Especially the GPU of devices evolve very quickly, and with that the apps evolve the same using that.

thanks a lot losbol. i have just done all the app reload and instalations etc.
will see how that goes tomorrow and if still with an issue then i will implement your advice regarding screen resolution.
Thanks for your effort to assist me.
2018-4-13
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'd be heading over to the apple Ipad side , the IOS DJI Go 4 app seems to have less performance issues on the recommended ipads
2018-4-13
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

lannes Posted at 2018-4-13 14:11
I'd be heading over to the apple Ipad side , the IOS DJI Go 4 app seems to have less performance issues on the recommended ipads

the calling is strong but my i phobia currently still stronger :-(
2018-4-13
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-13 14:20

I went the Ipad route over a year ago and there hasn't been a glitch or lag or pixelation at all with DJI Go4, even after the multiple updates, I think we are are on v 4.1.12 now with no issues.

I did say Ipad e.g mini 4, ipad 2017 and the pro 10.5, the same can't be said for iphones
2018-4-13
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

lannes Posted at 2018-4-13 14:34
I went the Ipad route over a year ago and there hasn't been a glitch or lag or pixelation at all with DJI Go4, even after the multiple updates, I think we are are on v 4.1.12 now with no issues.

I did say Ipad e.g mini 4, ipad 2017 and the pro 10.5, the same can't be said for iphones

do you know if i can do editing on the ipad (or will i then need to get a mac for editing)
i prefer to avoid flying with ipad and then transfering for editing with windows - this is my main reason for staying away from apple.
If i could do my flying, filming and editing on the same apple device then it may be the answer for me.
2018-4-13
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-13 14:52
do you know if i can do editing on the ipad (or will i then need to get a mac for editing)
i prefer to avoid flying with ipad and then transfering for editing with windows - this is my main reason for staying away from apple.
If i could do my flying, filming and editing on the same apple device then it may be the answer for me.

You can use the DJI Go 4 editor, if that's what you mean
2018-4-13
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

lannes Posted at 2018-4-13 15:54
You can use the DJI Go 4 editor, if that's what you mean

i mean a better editing facility - my djigo edits do not have a high quality look to them. that may be because i am not good at it but i think it is more to do with poor rendering result from dji side?
It seems to lack adequate color adjustment opportunities - my video images look great on my device but after rendering and onto a bigger screen it looks like rubbish.
Thats the editing bump i need to overcome.
2018-4-13
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-13 16:05
i mean a better editing facility - my djigo edits do not have a high quality look to them. that may be because i am not good at it but i think it is more to do with poor rendering result from dji side?
It seems to lack adequate color adjustment opportunities - my video images look great on my device but after rendering and onto a bigger screen it looks like rubbish.
Thats the editing bump i need to overcome.

Ah right, I transfer my video from the SD card to the PC and use Power Director 16 for the video editing, this allows all the "enhancing the picture" adjustments to be made.
2018-4-13
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>

I use an old iPad with 32 gigs and I have never had a problem,  I also use a iPad 4 128 gig. No problems there either.  Are you using WiFi or the OTG cable?
2018-4-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-13 14:20

i bit the bullet and bought an iPhone because of droning and cant complain. Android is good for everyday use but cannot manage memory hungry apps because of all the bloatware installed on the devices.
2018-4-13
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

lannes Posted at 2018-4-13 16:23
Ah right, I transfer my video from the SD card to the PC and use Power Director 16 for the video editing, this allows all the "enhancing the picture" adjustments to be made.

thanks lannes - looking at your answer makes me realise what a stupid question i had asked.
i do appreciate that you were willing to state the obvious.
2018-4-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules