Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spectacular! Chasing a windsurfer
2655 31 2018-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Joost GT3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 990551 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

So last weekend I was out windsurfing with a friend. After a while I decided to exchange board for drone, and went filming him with my Mavic Pro.
Nerve wrecking to fly so low, fast and far, in the mean time trying to keep moving smoothly!
Quite happy with some of the shots though! It got my adrenalin pumping to see my buddy at full speed, flying sideways next to him, speeding up to fly around him and all the will keeping the image centered.... whoahhh, still feeling the rush! :-)

2018-4-13
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Wow that looks really fun.  Very good flying and footage indeed.  Nice work.  Were you doing active track or I take it all manual flying?  Looks like you had to put it in sports mode for some of the runs.
2018-4-13
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Fastastic video and excellent flying, I can imagine the thrill, thank you very much!
2018-4-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Great flying skills, nice video
2018-4-13
Use props
Darkzi.F527
lvl.1
Flight distance : 76152 ft
France

Suren Posted at 2018-4-13 08:42
Great flying skills, nice video

Hey everyone !

I don't want to be rude or anything but I am myself a windsurfer and our sport is often not well known, considered as an "old grandpa sport" and not "extreme" like surfing or kiteboarding, and this image hurts us. Joost G3's video is cool, but people please don't think this kind of windsurf (low wind on flatwater) represents all the discipline, here is what I would call "spectacular" for windsurfing drone action (here with the best pro windsurfers of the planet at a contest in Maui, "close ups" shots available from 1:40)...

2018-4-13
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

Awesome! Were you flying FPV?
2018-4-13
Use props
Mountaindrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>

Darkzi.F527 Posted at 2018-4-13 10:16
Hey everyone !

I don't want to be rude or anything but I am myself a windsurfer and our sport is often not well known, considered as an "old grandpa sport" and not "extreme" like surfing or kiteboarding, and this image hurts us. Joost G3's video is cool, but people please don't think this kind of windsurf (low wind on flatwater) represents all the discipline, here is what I would call "spectacular" for windsurfing drone action (here with the best pro windsurfers of the planet at a contest in Maui, "close ups" shots available from 1:40)...

awesome !!!
very spectacular !
I love it !
2018-4-13
Use props
astrofly
Second Officer
Flight distance : 554301 ft
Italy

Wow ! Great flight and good edit. All manual or with active track ? Thanks
2018-4-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good work!   
2018-4-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hey everyone !

I don't want to be rude or anything but I am myself a windsurfer and our sport is often not well known, considered as an "old grandpa sport" and not "extreme" like surfing or kiteboarding, and this image hurts us. Joost G3's video is cool, but people please don't think this kind of windsurf (low wind on flatwater) represents all the discipline, here is what I would call "spectacular" for windsurfing drone action (here with the best pro windsurfers of the planet at a contest in Maui, "close ups" shots available from 1:40)...

Awesome footage!
2018-4-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good flying!
Even though we live in a flatwater country (about everything in our country is flat   ) I like your video!
2018-4-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hey everyone !

Sometimes you just got to use what you have right?
2018-4-13
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Very nice - Bravo!
2018-4-13
Use props
STRIDE8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

nice video
2018-4-13
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Joost GT3 ,
WOW really nice video.
I can see where that would of been nerve wrecking.
You had me on the edge of my seat. You did a great job filming and flying.
I liked how the video transitions went with the music.
2018-4-13
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Hey everyone !

That was an Awesome video.
Saw what looked like a DJI Phantom  wiz by at frame 1:00.
2018-4-13
Use props
FredAstra
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595577 ft
United Kingdom

Awesome flying !
2018-4-13
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

outstanding all round - love it, well done
2018-4-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Hey everyone !

This is a very interesting video
2018-4-13
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
New Zealand

Yeah that was great - takes some balls to fly like that. I particularly liked the parts where you were in front of your windsurfing friend flying backwards. Exciting stuff.

In New Zealand, windsurfing (along with normal surfing, kite surfing etc) is very popular due to the coastal ocean swells we have and prevailing winds - much more like the video that Darkzi posted.
2018-4-13
Use props
mickongen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1349816 ft
Denmark

Good movie like it..
2018-4-13
Use props
Darkzi.F527
lvl.1
France

B1houdini Posted at 2018-4-13 13:42
That was an Awesome video.
Saw what looked like a DJI Phantom  wiz by at frame 1:00.

Yeah we can see it several times, pretty close and "hot" in my opinion to have 2 drones at the same times (pilot has to be aware of : waves + windsurfers + the other drone) !
2018-4-14
Use props
Darkzi.F527
lvl.1
France

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-4-13 12:00
Sometimes you just got to use what you have right?

Totally, it is just the "Spectacular!" term in title that I wanted to nuance for people not knowing what windsurf could look like !
2018-4-14
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow Awesome job.
2018-4-14
Use props
EH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 43586 ft

Hey everyone !

Amazing footage!
2018-4-14
Use props
kfloke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149961 ft
Singapore

Very amazing video!
2018-4-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Darkzi.F527 Posted at 2018-4-14 04:43
Totally, it is just the "Spectacular!" term in title that I wanted to nuance for people not knowing what windsurf could look like !

Ah ok.
That I get annoyed by too.
Footage should speak for itself.
2018-4-15
Use props
Joost GT3
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks so much for all the feedback guys!

To answer some questions; I was flying manually all the time, not active track used. Most was flown in sports mode, since my buddy on the board was going pretty fast every now and then (not to his standards, but to mine). No FPV flying, all was done using an ipad Mini 4.

Regarding the "spectacular"... it was definitely how I felt! Flying low and fast and keeping an eye on altitude and obstacles, whilst moving smoothly and keeping the surfer in view... it was quite exhilaratig flying, and I definitely felt ecstatic, so that is why I mentioned it. I do admit that the circumstances (and the filming/editing) doesn't come anywhere near that what was shown in the movie Darkzi posted... I have some room for improvement still!

Darkzi, thanks for posting mate! What a wonderful picture, and it gives some nice inspiration for following surfing/droning sessions! :-)
2018-4-15
Use props
DH_Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

Great especially those pan rotations are perfect.
2018-4-15
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Germany

Nice job and cool music to this footage. Happy flying
2018-4-15
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

Nice video and do keep minding the water.
2018-4-15
Use props
Joost GT3
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

Celsus Posted at 2018-4-15 11:00
Nice video and do keep minding the water.

Thanks guys, appreciated!
2018-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules