Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
3-D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bigguns Posted at 2018-4-23 03:57
Slightly off topic but when any of you guys of done a calibration,does it go back to the normal screen with all the controls on ? As for some reason every time i have had to re calibrate,the screen then goes to just the image of what the camera sees and nothing else,no controls or anything,just the camera view and the only way i can get it back to normal is by shutting the app down and opening it all again.

mine does this as well.  but all i have to do is swipe up on the screen and i get my controls back.  
2018-4-23
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

So i went out flying 3 times this past weekend, in 2 different locations.  After reading this thread, i tried a few different things, and these are my results:

Trip 1.  Went to the lake.  walked down to wooden pier before setting up and launching.  I did not turn on the drone until i was standing on the pier
First launch DID NOT ask me to calibrate - Second launch from same area required calibration. third launch from same area DID NOT require calibration
Trip 2.  Went to opposite side of lake.  Walked to middle of grassy area to launch.  Again, did not turn on until in the middle of the field.  
This time it DID ask me to calibrate on each of my 3 launches.
Trip 3.  Went back to original shoot site.  Turned on in grass before the pier  It DID NOT ask me to calibrate. on either launch.

Summary is that even with consistent sites, the calibration requirement is random.  I had the same watch (analog) on during each flight.  I do wear a FITBIT Alta on my left wrist.  I always turn the drone on with my right hand, and the few 'hand launches' that I've done have also been from my right hand.

That's a lot of writing to say "i've got no good answer"  i just calibrate and fly.  it only takes about 10 seconds for me to calibrate.
2018-4-23
Use props
havrosh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 566785 ft

I'm experiencing exactly the same compass behavior like many others.
Compass needs to be re-calibreted everytime.

I've tried to re-calibrate the compass on the same place like P4... P4 is OK after reboot MavicAir needs to be re-calibrated

I hope this is a software issue (btw: using latest fw)
2018-4-23
Use props
IVANK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70827 ft
United States

I´m sure it´s a bug issue,  I have learned that if I turn the propellers on exactly after taping  the "go fly" button on my cel, it will aloud me to fly even though it has no GPS coverage yet, so I have to wait for the green advise before  can take off but that is the only way that I can skip the annoying re calibration endless process.   
As previously Stated, On my Mavick Pro have had never that issue.  Maybe for some of you this is not much of a problem, but when you are on a hurry to start recording for instance an Upcoming race, you can not wait to re calibrate once and again..   
and yes,  My S8 does the same thing after re calibrate,  my screen hides all the controls,  (that is annoying too)...
2018-4-25
Use props
Solucki
lvl.1
Flight distance : 669298 ft
United States

I'm having the same issue. Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I just need to follow the advice in the thread? ie. stay away from metal. I get that its a sensitive piece of hardware but it is frustrating when my older P4 doesn't need calibration, ever.
2018-6-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

This may have nothing to do with it.  Throwing it out there to see if it helps.

Try keeping GO-4 App running on smartdevice.
On iPhone it is not uncommon to kill off an App after you are done with it by clicking home button twice, then flicking app upward.

I had problems with repeated compass calibrations with my Mavic Pro when I was using iPhone or iPad.  Nobody else seemed too.
When I switched to CrystalSky, which keeps GO-4 App running unless you go through system menus to kill GO-4, I stopped getting compass calibration requests.
2018-6-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Solucki Posted at 2018-6-1 13:09
I'm having the same issue. Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I just need to follow the advice in the thread? ie. stay away from metal. I get that its a sensitive piece of hardware but it is frustrating when my older P4 doesn't need calibration, ever.

Having drone around ferrous metal (steel, iron, ...) between flights, should not result in need to recalibrate compass when you finally go to fly.   

Heavily magnetized metal (like magnets) could cause drone to become maganized in area near compasses, resulting in need for recalibration.

If you try to power-up drone or fly from metal object (say a steel table) or very near (within a meter) of object made with metal (say a car or motorcycle); that could result in error about magnetic interference or compass needing to be recalibrated or possibility of crash due to sudden change to compass right after take off.

There has been some posts suggesting use of De-gaussing tool to demagnatize areas of drone around compasses can help.  But not in every case.

2018-6-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Solucki Posted at 2018-6-1 13:09

Natural and Artificial Magnetic Anomalies Warning
Note
The following information has not been objectively tested to determine it’s impact on a Drones compass accuracy in flight.
        1        Many things can distort the earth’s magnetic field in the area you are flying:
        •        Steel framed or reinforced concrete buildings, bridges and roadways, iron pipes and culverts, high power electric lines, heavy equipment, trucks and automobiles, steel tanks, electric motors and even computers.
        •        Flying between steel framed or reinforced high rise buildings will distort the magnetic field in addition to causing GPS multi-pathing.
        2        Safe distances for compass calibration
        •        6” (15 cm) minimum: Metal rim glasses, pen/pencil, metal watch band, pocket knife, metal zipper/buttons, belt buckle, batteries, binoculars, cell phone, keys, camera, camcorder, survey nails, metal tape measure.
        •        18” (50 cm) minimum: Clipboard, data collector, computer, GPS antenna, 2-way radio, hand gun, hatchet, cell phone case with magnetic closure.
        •        6 ft (2 m) minimum: Bicycle, fire hydrant, road signs, sewer cap or drain, steel pole, ATV, guy wire, magnets, chain-link fence, bar-wire fence, data collectors
that use a magnet to hold the stylus.
        •        15 ft (5 m) minimum: Electrical box, small car/truck, powerline, building with concrete & steel.
        •        30 ft (10 m) minimum: Large truck, metal building, heavy machinery.
2018-6-1
Use props
Solucki
lvl.1
United States

That's a lot of stuff to cause interference. perhaps the MA is just more sensitive than my P4.  I guess I'll just calibrate every time it asks and be wary of metal surroundings
2018-6-6
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-1 14:11
Natural and Artificial Magnetic Anomalies Warning
Note
The following information has not been objectively tested to determine it’s impact on a Drones compass accuracy in flight.

You mean magnets like the strong ones in the motors, which when the arms are folded, are touching the body of the drone?
2018-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gyrex Posted at 2018-6-7 04:00
You mean magnets like the strong ones in the motors, which when the arms are folded, are touching the body of the drone?

Well yes that would be one source, but if Aircraft is calibrated this should really not be a problem,  remember your RC also has magnets, use above as a guide.

Calibration gives the compass the information it needs to determine which magnetic influences are part of the Mavic and what is the earth's normal magnetic field.
The compass doesn't lose calibration and doesn't ever need re-calibration unless you add or remove equipment to/from the Mavic, but although some will differ about this, I believe this is the case, although if you want to calibrate compass or have to because your app tells you, it’s pretty simple.
2018-6-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Solucki Posted at 2018-6-6 04:59
That's a lot of stuff to cause interference. perhaps the MA is just more sensitive than my P4.  I guess I'll just calibrate every time it asks and be wary of metal surroundings

It’s pretty clear that MavAir sensors for detecting interference are set very sensitive, and while this might be erring on the safe side, I find it way to sensitive and until they dim it down a bit some are stuck with having to calibrate on every outing, you really should never have to calibrate your compass, most of it is ridiculous myth, and I know many will disagree with this, MavAir is also equipped with look up table to track deviation, so what dji are doing is all a bit confusing.

Calibration gives the compass the information it needs to determine which magnetic influences are part of the Mavic and what is the earth's normal magnetic field.
The compass doesn't lose calibration and doesn't ever need re-calibration unless you add or remove equipment to/from the Mavic
2018-6-7
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891404 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Are you wearing a smart watch?
2018-6-7
Use props
CHSDrone1
lvl.2
United States

Just some follow-up since I started this thread several weeks ago...

DJI has sent me two replacement drones which have not resolved the issue.  At this point I am keenly aware that pre-flight calibration is just a thing you need to do for the Mavic Air.  It's not a really big deal for me anymore but I think DJI needs to come out and just admit that this is an inherent issue with this model.  
2018-6-7
Use props
Solucki
lvl.1
United States

SeanGalbraith Posted at 2018-6-7 11:29
Are you wearing a smart watch?

No electronics or metal of any kind on me, I even leave my phone with the RC when I turn it on.  I do have titanium in my ankle tho. :|  Could that be enough to trigger it?
2018-6-7
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891404 ft
  • >>>
Canada

That would be strange, but the Air seems to be really sensitive to metal, so who knows. As a test, I would have someone else you know that isn't filled with metal try and start it up and see if it needs calibration (while you stand a ways away)
2018-6-7
Use props
idok
lvl.1
Flight distance : 213346 ft
United States

Had the same problem, really annoying.
Solution (by DJI tech support):
Seems to work for me.

Connect Mavic Air to your PC/Mac - run DJI Assistant 2
Press "reset to factory defaults"
Refresh latest firmware (even if your drone is running the latest)
Reboot

Done.
2018-9-6
Use props
Amjad1983
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310489 ft
United Arab Emirates

ldgjGuy Posted at 2018-4-18 00:34
I had exactly the same problem, every time i needed to re-calibrate the MA. The problem disappeared when i stopped turning on the MA in the car:-)

I'm now turning on the MA when i'm outside car in open space and placing the MA directly on the ground.

I faced same problem exactly when i was doing it inside the car , but outside the car no calibration message any more
2018-9-6
Use props
rdsb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 236230 ft
France

Hello,
I also had  to calibrate quite often after switching on my Mavic Air.

No more problems for a while.

What did I do ?
Simple : when I switch my Mavic Air on, I do not move it at all until I hear the boot music +10 seconds. Then I put it on the ground and wait for satellites.
I carry it from the bottom, not to hit propellers that move a little bit. I keep it horizontal by hand, push the I/O button to start it.

Try my tip, and please advise if it also solves your problems !
2018-9-7
Use props
Merced69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 327096 ft
Canada

CHSDrone1 Posted at 2018-4-15 07:42
So I have flown the drone in multiple locations throughout my hometown.... including remote areas that are far from any possible magnetic interference and it still asks to calibrate the compass before every flight... I'll get in touch with DJI tech support.

If you are traveling between flights, especially East or West, then yes you will need to re calibrate the compass, and it is a good thing.  Magnetic north and true north are not the same.  The ability of the drone to fly home when you loose connection is going to be based upon an accurate compass reading. (and GPS, etc)  They all work together.  

There are many things that can interfere with the compass setting, and if you are being asked to re calibrate at the same place, there is something there.  I didn't realize it at first, but even the rebar in concrete was causing me to recalibrate every flight.  I thought that taking off and landing on a concrete path would be a good thing, as it was solid and flat, but I was being asked to recalibrate every time as well, until I walked 20 feet away, and could fly without recalibrating.

I also have a spot about an hours drive west, and everytime I travel there, or back, I have to recalibrate.  I can fly multiple days at same location with no worries, but as soon as I travel, recalibrate.

2018-9-7
Use props
Merced69
lvl.3
Canada

Robothamster Posted at 2018-4-23 00:41
Had 2 flights over the weekend, both times I was asked to re-calibrate the Compass.

1st one was taking off on a stony beach, no metal objects within 20m.

Water is magnetic.

How far apart are those two spots?
2018-9-7
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Merced69 Posted at 2018-9-7 06:39
Water is magnetic.

How far apart are those two spots?

"Water is magnetic"

I bet that statement will raise a few eyebrows. I don't think I've ever seen water affect a magnetic field. Can you elaborate a bit more ?

Your compass should rarely if ever need calibrating, the purpose of the calibration is to account for any affect the materials used in the construction of the Mavic Air might have on the compass.
2018-9-7
Use props
Masjunior
lvl.1

Having the same issue, little bit worse as I can't calibrate.
When I flew for the first time, asked for calibration. Ok
Good to go. Never after that I could calibrate after get compass warning blocking me to take off.
Every attempt to calibrate is in vain.
Today I went to an ecological park, far away from cities, cars..
Tried many times to take off close to an waterfall.. recalibrate compass warning: retry - Error, retry - error. Changed to different spots, same issue. Gave up.
Later I changed to another waterfall in the same river, was able to take off without issues with compass. Flew until battery warning. Changed battery... Compass calibration issue again. And again, impossible to calibrate. Tried different spots.. stones, grass, nothing worked.
Back to the hostel, tried again. No warnings, nice fly, battery warning, got back. Changed battery, calibrate issue again. Just the same spot... tried different ones, away from buildings, cars, nothing. And of course, impossible to calibrate.
2018-9-8
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>

Masjunior Posted at 2018-9-8 14:23
Having the same issue, little bit worse as I can't calibrate.
When I flew for the first time, asked for calibration. Ok
Good to go. Never after that I could calibrate after get compass warning blocking me to take off.

When you are starting up Mavic Air, is it being placed on ground, powered up, and allowed to initiate,or holding in hand and powering up ?

If handheld I would suggest the orientation of the aircraft along with blocking of GPS by hand might be causing problems.
2018-9-8
Use props
Masjunior
lvl.1

Aardvark Posted at 2018-9-8 14:41
When you are starting up Mavic Air, is it being placed on ground, powered up, and allowed to initiate,or holding in hand and powering up ?

If handheld I would suggest the orientation of the aircraft along with blocking of GPS by hand might be causing problems.

Hi! I always do the same. First start the aircraft, with no metals (watches, keys, smartphone around) and away from the RC. Press the button, put it on the ground, wait until it is ready. Then turn on the RC, already connected to my phone in air plane mode.
2018-9-8
Use props
Dale3
lvl.2
United States

My Mavic Air always asks for GPS calibration and even if I do it, I get a failure notice. I suspect my car. How far from the car should the drone be before I can get a calibration? I am getting a failure of calibration now almost 100% of the time but I tough it out and fly anyway with great far of loss!
2018-9-29
Use props
Swedrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Same here for the Mavic 2. Very annoying. Zero metal around and often on the same spot as on previous flights. My Mavic 1 didn't require it once on 200 flights. Guess the dual compass took care of it.
2018-10-12
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170030 ft
India

One more point to add here is:
Suppose i had already done the compass calibration, and then after that flew my MA till the battery drains. Then i will switch the battery with a new charged one. Again it shows me compass calibration needed error.
This is the usual behavior i have faced.  
2018-10-12
Use props
Her-man2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151191 ft

I experienced the same issue with the .0400 firmware. Even after factory reset. Last weekend I upgraded to .0500, followed by a factory reset. Calibration of IMU and compass was needed. Flying was not possible due to wind conditions. I flew 2 days ago because I needed an overview. That place was about 5 km away from the original calibration point, but I didn’t have to calibrate. So it looks like the issue has at least partly been fixed. When conditions are good I’ll fly a bit more this weekend (have decided to join a model aircraft club to enhance my flying skills and maybe start building my own tri or quadcopter platform).
2018-10-12
Use props
RandyHat
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I posted this same question a few months ago about why I am having to re-calibrate before every flight.  One suggestion I received and which makes some sense, and usually works for me is to NOT turn the Mavic Air upside down when you power it on.  Since the power switch is on the bottom of the drone, the most convenient way to turn it on is to turn it upside down to press the power button.  Some believe that this orientation is related to the compass calibration problem.  If I remember to hold the Mavic in an upright position when I turn it own it seems to work.
2018-10-12
Use props
Merced69
lvl.3
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 9-7 09:30
"Water is magnetic"

I bet that statement will raise a few eyebrows. I don't think I've ever seen water affect a magnetic field. Can you elaborate a bit more ?

There are many many factors that effect magnetic interference, but for a simple demonstrated effect with water, turn on your faucet and hold a magnet beside it to see for yourself.
2018-11-6
Use props
MAIRDA
lvl.2
United States

RandyHat Posted at 10-12 09:13
I posted this same question a few months ago about why I am having to re-calibrate before every flight.  One suggestion I received and which makes some sense, and usually works for me is to NOT turn the Mavic Air upside down when you power it on.  Since the power switch is on the bottom of the drone, the most convenient way to turn it on is to turn it upside down to press the power button.  Some believe that this orientation is related to the compass calibration problem.  If I remember to hold the Mavic in an upright position when I turn it own it seems to work.

In my case, it would not be a valid theory, since when I fly it in the US I turn it on the same way to the way I fly it overseas.  In the US I'm always able to calibrate compass.  Overseas it NEVER calibrates compass.
2018-11-6
Use props
MAIRDA
lvl.2
United States

Merced69 Posted at 11-6 10:56
There are many many factors that effect magnetic interference, but for a simple demonstrated effect with water, turn on your faucet and hold a magnet beside it to see for yourself.

Interesting.  But I bet if this was the case there would be instructions from DJI to not fly the Mavic Air over bodies of water.   
2018-11-6
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Merced69 Posted at 11-6 10:56
There are many many factors that effect magnetic interference, but for a simple demonstrated effect with water, turn on your faucet and hold a magnet beside it to see for yourself.

And what would I be looking for ?

Edit:- Or more importantly, how would water affect the compass on a Mavic Air ?
2018-11-6
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

I'd say, in about 60 percent of my starts, I am asked for a compass calibration.  At which point, I restart everything -- RC, phone and AC -- and it goes away.

Only two or three times, the compass calibration request persisted, so I performed it.

PS - I am also using a Samsung/Android.

2018-11-6
Use props
Zigenbock
lvl.3
Flight distance : 189341 ft
United States

I have the same problem, but not every time I take it out. I use iOS, so don't think it is an android problem.
2018-11-6
Use props
Crasche
lvl.1
United States

RandyHat Posted at 10-12 09:13
I posted this same question a few months ago about why I am having to re-calibrate before every flight.  One suggestion I received and which makes some sense, and usually works for me is to NOT turn the Mavic Air upside down when you power it on.  Since the power switch is on the bottom of the drone, the most convenient way to turn it on is to turn it upside down to press the power button.  Some believe that this orientation is related to the compass calibration problem.  If I remember to hold the Mavic in an upright position when I turn it own it seems to work.

I'll try that.

Another thing to consider that I will try is starting the MA without holding or being near the remote and device together. The phone or tablet can interfere with it..
2018-12-4
Use props
dont slow down
lvl.4
Flight distance : 574977 ft
United States

Solucki Posted at 6-6 04:59

This is what I have come to learn. My MA is very sensitive to being anywhere near metal objects. A quick calibration and I'm off flying. However my P3A I only calibrate when traveling large distances, or it asks for one 1 in 30 flights or so, not nearly as often.
2018-12-5
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
lvl.4
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

I'm on my second MA and I still get the calibration requests. Always it is the first time I power on for the day. Subsequent flights after changing the battery are fine. So my day is usually, go to my normal flying spot (same as last time), power on, get stupid calibration warning. Calibrate, fly, change battery fly, change battery, fly, go home. Next day, calibrate, fly....
2018-12-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

OneDoesNotSimply Posted at 12-5 18:06
I'm on my second MA and I still get the calibration requests. Always it is the first time I power on for the day. Subsequent flights after changing the battery are fine. So my day is usually, go to my normal flying spot (same as last time), power on, get stupid calibration warning. Calibrate, fly, change battery fly, change battery, fly, go home. Next day, calibrate, fly....

If you are already doing this, then ignore in advance...

Power on Mavic Air while keeping Shiny-Side-Up and Dirty-Side-Down.  Believe another person suggested doing your best not to rotate Mavic Air on any of it's axis as you power it up and set it down.   

Why Mavic Air only throws Compass Calibration the first time each day, is another one of those mysteries.  Having run into similar problem with my first Mavic Pro P, I feel your pain.
2018-12-5
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules