o(^-^)o
Jim_Ball
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49754 ft
Australia

Cindav Posted at 2018-8-8 00:24
Sad to hear mate.

But this got me thinking.

Why can’t the MA be reprogrammed so that when you use the RTH function, the drone does its best to RTH.  It looks at the distance to home, sees that the distance is getting further away, it engages sports mode itself or what ever speed required as long as it’s sees the distance is closing and no opening

A good point!

If this cannot be done, at least the DJI manual should provide the information on engaging the sports mode when flying in a windy condition. As I said, when the drone took off, it was not windy. When I saw the warning it was too late, the drone was drifting away backwards.
2018-8-8
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Sorry to hear this sad story, but looks in best case DJI may offer only 15% off the new drone
2018-8-8
Use props
Cindav
lvl.2
Flight distance : 108140 ft
Australia

GDL Posted at 2018-8-8 01:17
Vision sensor not working at Sport Mode. If RTH at sport mode people will complain the drone flying into trees or building and crashed. It’s not possible to build a dumb proof drone at current technology.

In future when AI is smart enough it will reject all stupid commands issue by the pilot. And the pilot will drop the drone on ground and crash it by foot!

yes, but, maybe not make it " sports mode "  

What Im saying is to let the drone say to itself "hey, Im not making ground, let me speed up more to fight the winds, slow down again when needed"  

Leave the sensor on.
2018-8-8
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Sorry to hear mate. Wind is always something we have to take into consideration when flying.
2018-8-8
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United States

Cindav Posted at 2018-8-8 00:24
Sad to hear mate.

But this got me thinking.

Maybe because, as drone pilots, we need to accept at least some level of responsibility for flying safely (both to our own drone & other people)!  Totally relying on automatic systems, as has been proven here again, is fraught with risk!
2018-8-8
Use props
Cindav
lvl.2
Flight distance : 108140 ft
Australia

like driver-less buses.....what can possibly go wrong there
2018-8-8
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Jim_Ball Posted at 2018-8-8 02:15
A good point!

If this cannot be done, at least the DJI manual should provide the information on engaging the sports mode when flying in a windy condition. As I said, when the drone took off, it was not windy. When I saw the warning it was too late, the drone was drifting away backwards.

Because like it or not, in the real world people have to take responsibility for their actions.
The drones are good, great in fact.  But it still doesn't mean you cant switch your brain off.
You should be monitoring conditions, monitoring the drones speeds, rpm (and pitch if able).
Move it around, see how things change.
One thing you should never do is blindly rely on a computer to make up for your shortcomings.

Winds come and go, winds can pick up with no notice, they can switch direction.  You have to be aware of these things and take responsibility for it.

The wind picked up and the drone DID warn about it.  Then you made several incorrect actions despite the warnings and lost the drone.

Its 100% operator error.
2018-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules