How to make YouTube LIVE-streaming work
12Next >
53825 48 2015-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

I was just about to ask how to get YouTube live-streaming working. However, in the mean time I figured it out.

The tutorial is as clear as mud, at least regarding the YouTube part of it. DJIs Pilot app is easy, but you need to connect it the right way with YouTube.

To make this work, you need to do some things in both the Pilot app AND your YouTube/Google account.
1. YouTube
On you computer, log in to YouTube (it wants to use your Google account) or create a new one.
Go to "My Channels" (you might have to click the menu icon to open the menu)
Click "Video Manager"
That opens up a new page, where you can select "Live Events" on the left side.
Here you have to Enable Live Events
This was confusing to me, because of how YouTube and Google accounts are linked. Just be aware that can be an issue
When you enable Live Events it wants to confirm you are a person. It wants to call you and give you a code or send an SMS with a code
In fact it should work now. What I think is the important step is to enable it all on the YouTube side BEFORE logging in to YouTube in the Pilot app. IF you cant stream (it says "Warning, read the tutorial" (thats the error I got), go ahead and log out of YouTube in the Pilot App (at the bottom after hitting "Basic Mode" (see 2. about the Pilot App) and log in again. You might have to log into/ use a different identity on YouTube if your account is old or something like that. Its a clear as mud. But its not DJIs fault.

2. Pilot app
Hit General Settings (the four dots)
Enable "YouTube Live Steaming
Select "Basic Mode"
Name the stream, select if it is private, public or Unlisted (semi-private)
Select your YouTube account (If you get the Warning: Read Tutorial error, log out of YouTube and log in again. When you log in, you might be presented with two identities for the same YouTube/Google account. Only one of them will be set up to use Live Events I believe.)

TIPS
When LiveSteaming is enabled you will see it on the Pilot App camera-screen. REMEMBER to switch to "Video" mode for 16:9 perspective. If you are in Photo-mode, you will stream a strange 4:3 video that wont fill the whole screen when maximized.

You might want to put the color-mode and style to "Vivid" (I film in LOG-mode and turn down saturation and contrast even further, which can be useful for later editing/colorgrading). LOG-color will look a bit dull because it is not treated yet. So for streaming I thing something popping like Vivid might work well.

You can TALK while flying using the iOS-device microphone.

Beware that there is a lag. I noticed a sometimes significant lag (many seconds). Also had issues with buffering etc.

When you start Basic mode Live Streaming, you can share the link it provides. Easy thing is to share it to an Messages account or an email. People can then hit that link (I used Unlisted, if you use Public everybody will be able to find the Live stream) and watch whats going on (and HEAR what you are saying if you have Microphone enabled

Thats my experience so far. Good luck!

-

Buy your DJI-gear, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-8
Use props
isybeta994
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1600909 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Guys,I am enabled live on youtube but when I topple Live Stream on the Pilot app it says firmware not supported yet...I tap OK and it shuts it off.IOS updated 1.1.8 FW.I guess its not ready yet or am I missing something?
2015-5-8
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

isybeta994 Posted at 2015-5-9 02:31
Thanks Guys,I am enabled live on youtube but when I topple Live Stream on the Pilot app it says firm ...

I did not try with 1.1.6. Are you still on that?

I'm on 1.1.8 firmware, using iOS (iPad Air) Pilot App. If you haven't updated the firmware, I don't see why you shouldn't. Update it - just in case.

It works with that combination. other combinations I can't say.
2015-5-8
Use props
isybeta994
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Yes I updated to 1.1.8 this morning...Is the (basic mode) option after you toggle youtube live stream on pilot app?It comes up firmware not supported when I toggle youtube live stream.
2015-5-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

isybeta994 Posted at 2015-5-9 03:30
Yes I updated to 1.1.8 this morning...Is the (basic mode) option after you toggle youtube live strea ...

What device are you using and how are you connecting to the internet?
2015-5-8
Use props
SJAP
First Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can't seam to get videos on my director and YouTube live won't work, getting the same message mentioned above. I'm using iPhone 6 plus
2015-5-8
Use props
vmp
lvl.3

United States

Any luck with private videos? I started a private video and texted the link to myself, but when I go to it on my computer, it says that the video is private.
2015-5-8
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

vmp Posted at 2015-5-9 11:23
Any luck with private videos? I started a private video and texted the link to myself, but when I go ...

I haven't tried "rivate". I would assume you need to add some YouTube accounts to a list of who is allowed to see the Private video. Perhaps you need to login to your account on the computer, under Live Events and change who is allowed to see the Private video?

You'll likely get a long way with regards to privacy making your YouTube Live Stream "Unlisted". If you don't post the link anywhere it is unlikely anyone would find it. What you might want to do after doing a Live Stream, is to (on the computer) to delete the Live Stream video  (click the checkbox next to the video, then click "Actions" where you choose "Delete".

Good luck.

Anyone feeling like sharing a Live Stream? Could be fun to watch someone elses
2015-5-9
Use props
nicholas999999
New

United Kingdom

Are you using iOS ?    I can not see any option to enable Youtube streaming on my Android tablet (Galaxy Tab 3).
2015-5-9
Use props
isybeta994
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Hi Ed,I'm have an iPad mini 2....WIFI
2015-5-9
Use props
joel.i.johnson.
lvl.1

United States

nicholas999999@ Posted at 2015-5-9 21:59
Are you using iOS ?    I can not see any option to enable Youtube streaming on my Android tablet (Ga ...

Yeah, This is not an option on andriod. Furthermore the android app does not seem to be completly tailored to the Phantom 3. I can't even do video caption and record my voice over video I have 1.1.0 for the app on andriod.
2015-5-9
Use props
SJAP
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I tried it this morning, had the live stream tab on my pilot app screen, but for some reason the video on my channel won't play. Anyone experience this?
2015-5-9
Use props
dcooper2025
lvl.1

United States

fyi, there's a Facebook group "DJI Inspire & Phantom Live Feeds" for posting links to live-streaming from DJI Inspire and Phantom aircraft.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DJILiveFeeds
2015-5-9
Use props
qestor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 518573 ft
Poland

Guys is it possible to live streming but some kind application like SKYPE? in order to speak to each other ( and to have live streaming video from phantom 3 as on youtube ). Is there possibility to on youtube or some other app to speak to each other ?

On the presentation of live streaming capability on Phantom 3 on youtube there ware talking to each other and they were able to see live streaming from Phantom. How to do that?
2015-5-9
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

SJAP Posted at 2015-5-10 02:28
I tried it this morning, had the live stream tab on my pilot app screen, but for some reason the vid ...

Think you need to provide at bit more details.

Yes, I also could not get it working. But I eventually did (see above how I went about it).

I think it can take a bit of time for a stream to start. And you need sufficient bandwidth to "upload"/stream. And there is a significant lag - can't say how long, a number of seconds, maybe 10+ seconds.
2015-5-9
Use props
vmp
lvl.3

United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-9 21:43
I haven't tried "Private". I would assume you need to add some YouTube accounts to a list of who i ...

Thanks. It works great as unlisted. I can use that instead.
2015-5-9
Use props
isybeta994
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-9 07:49
What device are you using and how are you connecting to the internet?

Hi ED,IPad Mini 2 WIFI (Cable)
Her are the app screen shots

firmware update

firmware update

no access

no access
2015-5-9
Use props
SJAP
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I get that very message mentioned above when I start the bird up. But I realized if I activate YouTube live feed before I fire up the tx or bird it works. I just can't get the 2nd step of the streaming process to work. Anyone no if there is how to vid out....
2015-5-9
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

After banging my head against the wall all night, trying to figure out how to make youTube streaming work...I come here and discover that it doesn't work on Android devices.
2015-5-9
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

After banging my head against the wall all night, trying to figure out how to make youTube streaming work...I come here and discover that it doesn't work on Android devices.
2015-5-9
Use props
klintb
lvl.1

United States

pete1144@me.com Posted at 2015-5-10 12:15
After banging my head against the wall all night, trying to figure out how to make youTube streaming ...

So no simulator and now no live streaming.  nice.
2015-5-10
Use props
isybeta994
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

tech support said live youtube Live stream was not available on Phantom 3 advanced yet.Only Inspire and Phantom 3 Professional.
2015-5-11
Use props
BIGDZ
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I've heard it's not even working on P3P go to phantompilot.com
2015-5-11
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

I just tested it today (again) this time flying for the first time. It works, however I had to login on the computer to my YouTube channel and manually start the Live Event. That was kind of a hassle, to say the least...

Also, the video signal was very choppy - even though I was either on wifi or 4G. I wonder what other people's experience is? There were several cut-outs, "loading", video break-up - as if my side could not upload enough data. The feed on the monitor/iPhone6 was fine.
2015-5-11
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try this.

2015-5-11
Use props
josepsamora
lvl.1

United States

isybeta994 Posted at 2015-5-12 05:52
tech support said live youtube Live stream was not available on Phantom 3 advanced yet.Only Inspire  ...

This is getting ridiculous.  Way to many features that were advertised are not present upon release. DJI could have at least let us know the Advanced would be nerfed upon release.
2015-5-11
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can't imagine a scenario where anyone would want to watch what I film live....
BUT, here is a question.

Can this same function be used to record both the sound and the video to the machine itself (or the tablet, mobile device) in a decent resolution.

An example of use would be to use the P3 as a "poor mans ronin" to film something ground based....since the yt streaming reportedly picks up sound, this would be handy......
2015-5-11
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-5-12 11:10
I can't imagine a scenario where anyone would want to watch what I film live....
BUT, here is a ques ...

You might not - but others might ;)

I can certainly see a lot of usecases for this. But it has to just work.
Imagine inspecting a roof - and live-transmitting back to the office or to expects who can give instructions right away. Or if you cover an event. Or a disaster. Or just for fun - because you can

It is very much a technology-demonstrator, almost a gimmick. It showcases what can be done. Eventually it will become so easy and work so well, that people might actually use it.

The sound is picked up from the iPhone/iPad and that sound is sent with the livestream per default.

2015-5-11
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, it's one of those things like blogging - once everyone blogs, there is no one left to read them because there are millions of them!

Heck, I was even late to the Apple and DJI live stream (announcements).....I'm trying to think of something that I'd really want to watch live.....but maybe my generation was spoiled since we already saw the moon walk, the shooting of Oswald, etc. on live stream!

Andy Warhol had a point (15 minutes of fame). In the end there are a limited amount of people who can create excitement, content, news or anything else worthy of watching.
This is one reason I prefer still photos to video - because a person needs to make a commitment to watch a video, while they are pretty much stuck seeing your pictures!

I can definitely see the real workaday uses - in fact, one of my "dream" uses for fleets of drones is for search and rescue so it would be ultimate cool if when an earthquake happened or building collapsed, hundreds of drones would be deployed with sensors to locate people...and then live broadcast back so the first responders would know exactly what order to proceed in.

And, yes, inspections could get the "best" eyes on the roof, structure, etc. - from afar.

I can see a lot of uses. Just not me....throwing the ball for my dog with an audience of one.

Hey, now I have it. Maybe my funeral and cremation could be done live along with spreading of the ashes over the Bay. A couple family members and friends may watch....
2015-5-11
Use props
julius717
lvl.2
Flight distance : 939951 ft
United States

I've tried 5 times with a iPhone 6+ will not broadcast at all. Even tried manually setting it up. Nothing. Extremely frustrating.
2015-5-11
Use props
Llander45
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21299 ft
  • >>>
United States

isybeta994 Posted at 2015-5-10 08:18
Hi ED,IPad Mini 2 WIFI (Cable)
Her are the app screen shots

I get the same message.

Any idea how to get it to work?
2015-5-16
Use props
Llander45
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21299 ft
  • >>>
United States

Llander45@aol.c Posted at 2015-5-17 14:05
I get the same message.

Any idea how to get it to work?

tech support said live youtube Live stream was not available on Phantom 3 advanced yet.Only Inspire and Phantom 3 Professional.
2015-5-16
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-5-12 11:48
Yeah, it's one of those things like blogging - once everyone blogs, there is no one left to read the ...

Will it be safe to fly over water by then?

Seriously, those are some great ideas.
2015-5-17
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

julius717@aol.c Posted at 2015-5-12 12:22
I've tried 5 times with a iPhone 6+ will not broadcast at all. Even tried manually setting it up. No ...

Yes, it is tricky.

What exactly happens when you try?

Last time I tried, I had to go to my computer and log into YouTube (after starting the LiveSteam from the DJI Pilot app) and go to "Live Events" and manually find my LiveStream. It was "upcomming" and wasn't live for some reason. However, in YouTube I could turn on the event.

-
Buy your DJI-gear, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-17
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-17 19:31
Will it be safe to fly over water by then?

Seriously, those are some great ideas.

There is my flight over water, eh? (P2)

Now the heavens can open.
I may even fly my P3 over water today later - BUT, you won't see me back here telling DJI to dive for my P3 because it's their fault.

2015-5-17
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-5-18 03:04
There is my flight over water, eh? (P2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vuWUCxo4wI
Now the heaven ...

Had to kind of laugh to myself. One of the first things I had planned for my P3 was to cruise along some canals at a park around the corner. Then I read where DJI talks about exercising caution about flying over water!
2015-5-17
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-18 03:19
Had to kind of laugh to myself. One of the first things I had planned for my P3 was to cruise alon ...

I'd say the real story is that people should be very familiar with their aircraft first.....and then start small like I did in shallow water close to the beach (I could have at least recovered the craft..) and then decide if the shot is worthwhile.
Some people seem to enjoy flying 4 feet above a river - just for the effect! Hey, whatever floats their boat but I spend many hours in a sailboat a few feet above the water, so it's not a view I desire from a video.

Now...those guys and gals who film dolphins, whales, etc....that's a different story!

My problem is I like my Phantoms and want to keep them. If I didn't care I'd take more risks.

Anyway, back to live streaming. One day soon we'll be able to watch an EPIC video live of someone crashing their P3 into the drink! Now that will be worthwhile...although I'd just as well watch it later as opposed to live...because, of course, we never know when it's going to actually happen.
2015-5-17
Use props
ottoman12
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2483281 ft
  • >>>
United States

Start Encoder will not highlight so I can select it. I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus.

2015-7-14
Use props
ottoman12
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2483281 ft
  • >>>
United States

Start Encoder will not highlight so I can select it. I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus.

2015-7-14
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-5-18 04:06
I'd say the real story is that people should be very familiar with their aircraft first.....and th ...

Funny, that was my initial thoughts as well - I live in Southern California, and had dreams of flying over the water taking action shots of dolphins and migrating whales.  I can see them just off-shore.  But, I'm just too chicken to risk it.  There is a competitive waterproof UAV coming out soon - much more like a toy though, but with 1/2 mile range, and holds a GoPro.  So I will probably have two, one for water and the P3P for land.
2015-7-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules