Spark Crashes After "Motor Overload" error pops up
1116 12 2018-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
glaive010-sp
lvl.2
Flight distance : 479698 ft
United States

It was just another day flying taking off was normal just like all my previos take offs on my p3s and my spark. After take off I flew to 76-80 feet. Well above the small trees in the distance. I flew only 20-30 feet in front of me. It was sunny with little to no wind.
Note: My left finger is not even touching the vertical height. (For what is next.)
Just 30 seconds at a height of 80 feet and 95% battery I pulled the right stick back for horizontal speed to bring the drone back to me. I looked down at my controller and saw it said "motor overload" and watched as the altitude started dropping really fast. When I looked up the drone had inverted itself and was spinning towards the ground. I watched it hit the ground and I knew there was no way it would come out without damage.

When I picked it up I found the front right arm with the motor had broken off, the gimbal was scrathed, but hoepfully not destroyed, two propellers gone and light pannels on the bottom of the motors had disapeared too. I have no idea how the internals held up. After the crash I looked at the app. In the flightlog it weirdly says I had no gps and shows no distance, but does have the vertical height.

Has this happened to anyone?

2018-4-15
Use props
glaive010-sp
lvl.2
United States

I don't know if you need to know this, but I using an iPhone SE on iOS 11.3 with the spark controller (both were fully charged).
2018-4-15
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17913 ft
Philippines

Hey, my guess is that the motor got some obstruction during flight causing the motor overload. It could be a foreign object, or something inside the motor got loose causing the obstruction. Another possibility is that you hit something mid-air, damaging the motor. Could be a bird if it is an open area (there is a lot of incidents of Spark vs. Angry Birds attack), or trees if you are flying close to one.
2018-4-15
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you just change your propellers? Are you using DJI propellers or 3rd Party?
2018-4-15
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft

Please upload your flight log to: http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/Upload/
for further analysis
2018-4-15
Use props
Jerpie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 191211 ft
Netherlands

Damn man, doesn't sound well. Were you capturing at the time?
2018-4-16
Use props
glaive010-sp
lvl.2
United States

Jerpie Posted at 2018-4-16 01:18
Damn man, doesn't sound well. Were you capturing at the time?

No i was not.
2018-4-16
Use props
glaive010-sp
lvl.2
United States

Bing Err Posted at 2018-4-15 18:23
Did you just change your propellers? Are you using DJI propellers or 3rd Party?

Propellers that came with the drone.
2018-4-16
Use props
glaive010-sp
lvl.2
United States

RjMllr Posted at 2018-4-15 18:02
Hey, my guess is that the motor got some obstruction during flight causing the motor overload. It could be a foreign object, or something inside the motor got loose causing the obstruction. Another possibility is that you hit something mid-air, damaging the motor. Could be a bird if it is an open area (there is a lot of incidents of Spark vs. Angry Birds attack), or trees if you are flying close to one.

It was an open area, I don't recall seeing any birds near the drone.
2018-4-16
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think we'd all be interested to see if there is anything we can learn from your experience.  Any chance you could upload the flight log to the PhantomHelp page DJT_MSVP mentioned and post the resulting URL here?
2018-4-16
Use props
JimFandango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 130768 ft
United Kingdom

KlooGee Posted at 2018-4-16 05:39
I think we'd all be interested to see if there is anything we can learn from your experience.  Any chance you could upload the flight log to the PhantomHelp page DJT_MSVP mentioned and post the resulting URL here?

Hey KlooGee, this is off topic, but I've just joined the forum after having my Spark for two weeks and wanted to say a massive thank you for all your excellent YouTube videos. I watched all of them before buying the Spark and they've been a huge help in making me feel like I know what I'm going. I watch your comments on this forum with great interest.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!
2018-4-16
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

JimFandango Posted at 2018-4-16 08:14
Hey KlooGee, this is off topic, but I've just joined the forum after having my Spark for two weeks and wanted to say a massive thank you for all your excellent YouTube videos. I watched all of them before buying the Spark and they've been a huge help in making me feel like I know what I'm going. I watch your comments on this forum with great interest.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Thanks Jim!  I really appreciate the kind words and glad you've found them useful!  I hope to be putting out much more content very soon!
2018-4-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I'm so sorry to read the accident. Please kindly start a case and send the unit in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support If the drone is still in warranty period, data analysis will be suggested to check the exact status. If you encounter any further difficulties, please contact us with your case number, we'd like to help.
2018-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules