Battery contacts protection
1798 21 2018-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HendrikJB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

Having a number of charged batteries in one`s bag one will worry about open contacts causing a short which may result in a fire.  However the world is full of innovators and one such innovator designed a nifty cover for contacts. This is 3D printed and costs a few cents each.
Follow the link.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2780371

Battery contacts cover

Battery contacts cover
2018-4-15
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

I think i read somewhere that if you are going to fly you have to have the terminals covered to go through TSA or the airline requires it.
Great idea.
Thanks for sharing
2018-4-15
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I use them always on my MP
I have them on 3 batteries and one on the Mavic.
Not only do they protect  the contacts from accidently touching but they keep the terminals also clean and dry.
2018-4-15
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Amazing. Thanks for sharing!
2018-4-15
Use props
Aguilaair
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9875 ft
Spain

i may print one
2018-4-16
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

Yeah I am buying 4 plastic protections for sure. The bag is noce but having them constantly unprotected doesn't make me feel ok.
2018-4-16
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

That is a great idea - you could even have different colors for charged and discharged ones.
2018-4-16
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Would be even better if these came with official spare batteries... (wink wink DJI )
2018-4-16
Use props
Vidjcb
First Officer
Flight distance : 14038904 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the tip
I am also suggesting buy bags:

Drone Fans Battery Case

Here is the link:
https://amzn.to/2uvictM

For the above picture, you can store two. But they offer options for one or three batteries

It cost less than US$9

And also are useful when traveling or using then with carry on luggage.

2018-4-16
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Bokepacha Posted at 2018-4-16 03:46
Yeah I am buying 4 plastic protections for sure. The bag is noce but having them constantly unprotected doesn't make me feel ok.

Why buy if maybe you know a friend with a 3D printer.  Those cost about 2c to print AND you may even be in a position to choose different colors for different batteries.
2018-4-17
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Vidjcb Posted at 2018-4-16 09:01
Thanks for the tip
I am also suggesting buy bags:

Well the 3D printed one`s cost only 2c to print
2018-4-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

The battery safety bags I bought came with protective rubber covers for Mavic Pro batteries.
2018-4-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

sky6105 Posted at 2018-4-15 12:13
I think i read somewhere that if you are going to fly you have to have the terminals covered to go through TSA or the airline requires it.
Great idea.
Thanks for sharing

The battery safety bags are needed.  But I do wonder if bags are enough.  Lot of energy, which will gets converted to heat, is stored in Li-Po batteries.

Mavic Pro battery is rated at 43.6 Wh (watt hours).  Assuming batteries are discharged to 25%.  That would leave 10.9Wh.  From what has been posted about Mavic Pro batteries getting dunked even for a few minutes in ocean water.  One can take 10.9Wh (watt minutes*60) and come up with roughly 163 Watts for 4-minutes.  In a confined area, that is a lot.

I think Airlines, FAA, FTA, and TSA need to consider battery transport boxes designed to go in cargo holds.
Approved boxes that Airlines provide or rent, or approved boxes bought out right.  Boxes designed to contain a set of LiPo batteries possibly leaking, overheating, catching fire, or exploding.  Maybe even consider boxes with an emergency cooling system designed to keep outside of box below 212F or 100C.  They make such systems for Safes.

Not just for drone batteries.  But any Hi-capacity Li-Po battery.
2018-4-17
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-4-17 10:27
Well the 3D printed one`s cost only 2c to print

No friends with 3D printer

:forever_alone: xD
2018-4-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Bokepacha Posted at 2018-4-17 11:59
No friends with 3D printer

:forever_alone: xD

But if you bought a high-end 3D printer, you would soon have lots of friends.

2018-4-17
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

Thank you, thank you!! Printed out 4 of these quickly today (like 10 min ea incl rafts! I know, but I CANNOT get my PLA prints to stick to the bed without rafts!). Pics seem to be too hard to post, but trust me, this is the BOMB. Nice friction fit; it’s not gonna easily fall off! I LOVE IT!!
2018-4-17
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
United States

2018-4-17
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Awesome!!!!
2018-4-18
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
United States

Update. Even better: I printed another set in another color. I wasn’t sure I had enuf green PLA filament for a full set for my 4 present MA batteries (seriously down to dregs) so I used white. At least now I can easily tell already topped-off batteries from ones needing charging. Yes, of course you can easily just press the battery  button and get the green LED readout of battery charge status, but this just takes a glance. Awesome solution.

2018-4-19
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Spaceman_66 Posted at 2018-4-19 09:19
Update. Even better: I printed another set in another color. I wasn’t sure I had enuf green PLA filament for a full set for my 4 present MA batteries (seriously down to dregs) so I used white. At least now I can easily tell already topped-off batteries from ones needing charging. Yes, of course you can easily just press the battery  button and get the green LED readout of battery charge status, but this just takes a glance. Awesome solution.

[view_image]

Yes really awesome.

BTW what % infill did you use? And which 3D Printer?
2018-4-20
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
United States

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-4-20 00:05
Yes really awesome.

BTW what % infill did you use? And which 3D Printer?

The reds were printed at 75% infill, 0.2mm layer height, on a Makerbot Replicator (original model) with its original model Smart Extruder, circa 2014 purchase made at & for “work” purposes. For the whites I upped it to 100% infill. With rafts in all cases (shouldn’t be necessary, but I have NEVER successfully gotten a raftless print to stick to the bed). Each one of these is like a 9-10 minute print.
2018-4-21
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Spaceman_66 Posted at 2018-4-21 12:06
The reds were printed at 75% infill, 0.2mm layer height, on a Makerbot Replicator (original model) with its original model Smart Extruder, circa 2014 purchase made at & for “work” purposes. For the whites I upped it to 100% infill. With rafts in all cases (shouldn’t be necessary, but I have NEVER successfully gotten a raftless print to stick to the bed). Each one of these is like a 9-10 minute print.

Thanks for the information.

I usually use either "skirt" or "brim". In this case I used "skirt" but cannot remember any other details.
BTW I`m using a HICTOP 3D PR 12.
2018-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules