1443 18 2018-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dmitry495
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791194 ft
Russia

Hi Fellow pilots,

After the most recent update of FW and GO 4 iOS app on my P4P I started seeing frequent (every 30sec-1min) disruptions in video feed. I use iPad mini 3 and normally close all apps before flying. Some times the screen gets black for a few seconds, while video connection is at full strength (HD icon at the top). It even happens (disrupted picture and black screen) when the drone is right in front of me say half a meter away. I can't say if it is caused by FW or app update, because updated them nearly at the same time. But for sure, I didn't have this issue before.

Just wondering if any of you experience the same problem

DJI: This problem is kind of annoying and diminishing my enjoying of flights
2018-4-16
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

You could try using your goggles, and if all was good with them connected to RC then that would eliminate aircraft firmware and point towards App' error.

Does this happen at different locations ?
2018-4-16
Use props
Dmitry495
lvl.3
Russia

Aardvark Posted at 2018-4-16 01:31
You could try using your goggles, and if all was good with them connected to RC then that would eliminate aircraft firmware and point towards App' error.

Does this happen at different locations ?

Thanks for the advice. Do you mean connect goggles via USB or HDMI? I haven't yet installed HDMI module. Tried only at one location - my country house. Never had this issue there
2018-4-16
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

Dmitry495 Posted at 2018-4-16 02:46
Thanks for the advice. Do you mean connect goggles via USB or HDMI? I haven't yet installed HDMI module. Tried only at one location - my country house. Never had this issue there

Was thinking of goggles into USB, although if you do that alone you will be limited to 30m altitude and 50m radius (maybe not a bad thing). Or to fly without restriction power all up and initiate aircraft using a 'logged in'  DJI Go 4 App' on an phone or tablet, then before take off swap phone/tablet for goggles.
2018-4-16
Use props
Dmitry495
lvl.3
Russia

Aardvark Posted at 2018-4-16 04:07
Was thinking of goggles into USB, although if you do that alone you will be limited to 30m altitude and 50m radius (maybe not a bad thing). Or to fly without restriction power all up and initiate aircraft using a 'logged in'  DJI Go 4 App' on an phone or tablet, then before take off swap phone/tablet for goggles.

I will give it a try the following weekend and see what happens. Do you think there is a way to roll back GO 4 app? I guess not.
2018-4-16
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

Dmitry495 Posted at 2018-4-16 06:53
I will give it a try the following weekend and see what happens. Do you think there is a way to roll back GO 4 app? I guess not.

Which iOS device are you using ? There aren't usually too many problems with these. Trying a different location might also help in diagnosing problem, in case any new interference source has appeared close to your usual flying area.

Simplest way to roll back would be if you had a back up copy of device with previous version, then you could restore from iCloud or computer.
2018-4-16
Use props
Dmitry495
lvl.3
Russia

Aardvark Posted at 2018-4-16 07:03
Which iOS device are you using ? There aren't usually too many problems with these. Trying a different location might also help in diagnosing problem, in case any new interference source has appeared close to your usual flying area.

Simplest way to roll back would be if you had a back up copy of device with previous version, then you could restore from iCloud or computer.

I'm using iPad mini 3, but, unfortunately, not that disciplined to create backup copies of the whole device.

I've read recently on the forum that all new updates of GO 4 become more demanding to processing capacity, so the older devices do not keep pace with the requirements. Kind a sad story, I hate to think that mini 3 is that much outdated
2018-4-16
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

Dmitry495 Posted at 2018-4-16 07:14
I'm using iPad mini 3, but, unfortunately, not that disciplined to create backup copies of the whole device.

I've read recently on the forum that all new updates of GO 4 become more demanding to processing capacity, so the older devices do not keep pace with the requirements. Kind a sad story, I hate to think that mini 3 is that much outdated

I just noticed you'd mentioned device in original post :-)

There's a good chance it might be that.

You could also try a re-install of DJI Go 4, or perhaps a relink of RC to Aircraft 'might' help. Perhaps reduce the video cache (in DJI Go 4) to free up memory ?
2018-4-16
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Dmitry495 Posted at 2018-4-16 07:14

I've read recently on the forum that all new updates of GO 4 become more demanding to processing capacity, so the older devices do not keep pace with the requirements. Kind a sad story, I hate to think that mini 3 is that much outdated

Sadly you're correct - the A7 CPU (shared by both the Mini 2 and Mini 3) is too underpowered to run the latest versions of DJI GO 4 reliably, despite what DJI advise. Even my iPhone 7 heats up now - and it runs an A10 !! The issue is the processing required by the app to perform the video decoding. That's why you could have a strong signal, but the vision still glitches or drops out - it's the iPad CPU not managing the load for the video stream.

Litchi doesn't make the same processing demands being a leaner (and I suspect more efficiently coded) app, so it may be an alternative to updating your iPad. However, there's been a number of releases of Litchi since I was running it on a Mini2, and now I've upgraded to an Air 2 anyway, so I can't categorically say it's still fine on the Mini 2/3.
2018-4-16
Use props
Dmitry495
lvl.3
Russia

Aardvark Posted at 2018-4-16 09:16
I just noticed you'd mentioned device in original post :-)

There's a good chance it might be that.

Thanks. I will try all this as the last resort, probably before a painful decision to change mini 3 to a more powerful device. In the end, I have no hope that future updates of GO 4 will be optimized in terms of processing efficiency
2018-4-16
Use props
Dmitry495
lvl.3
Russia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-4-16 18:53
Sadly you're correct - the A7 CPU (shared by both the Mini 2 and Mini 3) is too underpowered to run the latest versions of DJI GO 4 reliably, despite what DJI advise. Even my iPhone 7 heats up now - and it runs an A10 !! The issue is the processing required by the app to perform the video decoding. That's why you could have a strong signal, but the vision still glitches or drops out - it's the iPad CPU not managing the load for the video stream.

Litchi doesn't make the same processing demands being a leaner (and I suspect more efficiently coded) app, so it may be an alternative to updating your iPad. However, there's been a number of releases of Litchi since I was running it on a Mini2, and now I've upgraded to an Air 2 anyway, so I can't categorically say it's still fine on the Mini 2/3.

I have to admit what you are saying makes a lot of sense - A7 CPU is not enough. It also probably explains that Mavic Pro doesn't have this issue - OccuSync is more robust in encoding video stream making easier for device to decode it.
Before I was thinking about mini 4, but now new iPad or iPad Pro seems more reasonable: mini 4 has only A8. The problem is using iPad with MP - all these fixtures are a bit bulky
2018-4-17
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Dmitry495 Posted at 2018-4-17 00:05
I have to admit what you are saying makes a lot of sense - A7 CPU is not enough. It also probably explains that Mavic Pro doesn't have this issue - OccuSync is more robust in encoding video stream making easier for device to decode it.
Before I was thinking about mini 4, but now new iPad or iPad Pro seems more reasonable: mini 4 has only A8. The problem is using iPad with MP - all these fixtures are a bit bulky

Yeah, the 9"+ iPads are an issue with the Mavic controllers, but you can get adapters for them.

Otherwise, I recommend you don't go below the A8X - the Air 2, I believe. But more recent is obviously better future-proofing.
2018-4-17
Use props
Dmitry495
lvl.3
Russia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-4-17 14:13
Yeah, the 9"+ iPads are an issue with the Mavic controllers, but you can get adapters for them.

Otherwise, I recommend you don't go below the A8X - the Air 2, I believe. But more recent is obviously better future-proofing.

Might've missed something, but what do you mean when say Air 2? Is it MacBook Air? Sorry for a dumb question
2018-4-18
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Dmitry495 Posted at 2018-4-18 04:39
Might've missed something, but what do you mean when say Air 2? Is it MacBook Air? Sorry for a dumb question

I'm referring to the iPad Air 2.
2018-4-18
Use props
Dmitry495
lvl.3
Russia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-4-18 19:13
I'm referring to the iPad Air 2.

OK, I see now. Thanks
2018-4-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Dmitry, have you tried to change the flight environment or another recommended mobile device to verify?
2018-4-20
Use props
Dmitry495
lvl.3
Russia

Hi Susan, I didn't intend to fly at that moment, just wanted to sign in. I'm signed in on iPad mini 3 for most of the time, but wanted to check over this weekend if can get better video feed with iPad Pro. On iPad mini 3 flying P4P I get video distortions and black screens while HD signal strength is at full
2018-4-20
Use props
Dmitry495
lvl.3
Russia

Susan, I'm sorry. Confused this thread with the other one where complained to have problems with signing in this morning. Answering your question: no, I will try different environment only over this weekend. Will let you know how it works, also using iPad Pro
2018-4-20
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-4-16 18:53

Litchi doesn't make the same processing demands being a leaner (and I suspect more efficiently coded) app, so it may be an alternative to updating your iPad. However, there's been a number of releases of Litchi since I was running it on a Mini2, and now I've upgraded to an Air 2 anyway, so I can't categorically say it's still fine on the Mini 2/3.

Punchbuggy, I tend to agree.  I was doing some pre-flight bench testing last night and have noticed the same thing.  Green screens and occasional black outs.  I have an iPad Mini 4 and have not done the latest AC FW update so it may not be limited to  the Mini 2 and 3. I did notice that last fall as well before it went into winter hibernation.  It only happens for a second or two.  Video cache cleared and set to lowest speed.   I have also noticed some weird stuff with the camera settings.  (keeps reverting 16:9 from 3:2)  I think I  will be getting Litchi since I have just become legal to fly for hire in MN.  DJI needs to clean up the GO4 app.  (I know I'm dreaming)
2018-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules