12Next >
3747 62 2018-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TFile
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56398 ft
United Kingdom

What is it that makes the new Mavic props so much quieter than the original ones?

• Is it the material?

• Is it the shape?

• Is it a combination of the two?

The Mavic Air is amazing but I do really hate the noise it makes, both the frequency/tone and the volume of it. It actually puts me off to the point of on some occasions I'd rather not get it our and in the air purely not to disturb others whereas I have been around several of the new Mavic Pros with the new props and they're so so much less antisocial.

DJI I'm aware of how markets work and know that you'll nodoubt be releasing a special quiet version of the Mavic Air at somepoint but please can you address this sooner than later and please can you make whatever upgrade it is available as a retrofit to the Mavic Air in the same way as you have with the Mavic?

Thoughts comments?!!

2018-4-16
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

It is a combination of the 3 things you have listed as well as a tweeking of the ESC's to lower the RPM in the Firmware.
2018-4-16
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

it is the shape not the material. Actually the db noise level appears about the same with both props - so my answer to your question would be: the props sound quieter because the revised shape produces a differant tone - one which is more harmonic to our ears or otherwise one which is less offensive to human hearing. Now they know this i hope they will be able to continue to improve on it.
2018-4-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mainly the tips on the 8331's for the MPP - which are winglet shaped in addition to the design of the main blade. The props alone do make the MP quieter by about 30% but the MPP has FOC electronic speed controllers with a sinusoidal current that enhances flight stability, flight endurance and gives a 60% noise reduction when used with the winglet props - which are optimised for the MPP.
2018-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-4-16 05:45
Mainly the tips on the 8331's for the MPP - which are winglet shaped in addition to the design of the main blade. The props alone do make the MP quieter by about 30% but the MPP has FOC electronic speed controllers with a sinusoidal current that enhances flight stability, flight endurance and gives a 60% noise reduction when used with the winglet props - which are optimised for the MPP.

Wow Andy, being doing a lot of research there
2018-4-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 2018-4-16 08:25
Wow Andy, being doing a lot of research there

Aye I always research any drone thoroughly before I buy it mate. The MPP is very quiet.
2018-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-4-16 08:42
Aye  I always research any drone thoroughly before I buy it mate. The MPP is very quiet.

I can see that, It was a damn good explanation there. Unlike like me I buy first, break second then try to research it.
2018-4-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 2018-4-16 08:48
I can see that, It was a damn good explanation there. Unlike like me I buy first, break second then try to research it.

Cheers man. I bought my first proper drone (P3P) on a spontaneous buy and didn't even tell the wife LOL but since then all of my drones are researched before parting with a penny.
2018-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-4-16 08:52
Cheers man. I bought my first proper drone (P3P) on a spontaneous buy and didn't even tell the wife LOL but since then all of my drones are researched before parting with a penny.

My first was a Hubsan H501s. Pretty good drone 20 minute flight time fpv etc. Flew it at home the first time with battery at 40% flew well, put it on charge after battery went dead and gave it a go an hour later. I guess the drone wanted a fully charged battery so that it could fly back to China because it took aff and never came backJust went straight up and stopped at nothing. Family and myself kept staring at the sky for over an hour waiting for it to come back, no luck. Cut my losses and bought a Dji spark. Crashed it second day, it got repaired, then crashed it again repaired again, then I decided to stop and start reading and learning all about drone. Has much has these look like toys they are not and are very complicated devices so I fully agree with you, Research properly anything you get and do not be Impulsive like me.
2018-4-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Andy is a wealth of valuable information no doubt. I got purchased the 8331 prop with skepticism but have to say they are a lot quieter. Not sure why but they are.
2018-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Woe Posted at 2018-4-16 09:13
Andy is a wealth of valuable information no doubt. I got purchased the 8331 prop with skepticism but have to say they are a lot quieter. Not sure why but they are.

You can say that again, I have learnt a lot from him since joining this forum. Keep it up Andy
2018-4-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>

Suren Posted at 2018-4-16 09:30
You can say that again, I have learnt a lot from him since joining this forum. Keep it up Andy

So have I. He was my first friend on this forum.
2018-4-16
Use props
djiuser_iGJqCoTNTQSa
lvl.4

Suren Posted at 2018-4-16 09:01
My first was a Hubsan H501s. Pretty good drone 20 minute flight time fpv etc. Flew it at home the first time with battery at 40% flew well, put it on charge after battery went dead and gave it a go an hour later. I guess the drone wanted a fully charged battery so that it could fly back to China because it took aff and never came backJust went straight up and stopped at nothing. Family and myself kept staring at the sky for over an hour waiting for it to come back, no luck. Cut my losses and bought a Dji spark. Crashed it second day, it got repaired, then crashed it again repaired again, then I decided to stop and start reading and learning all about drone. Has much has these look like toys they are not and are very complicated devices so I fully agree with you, Research properly anything you get and do not be Impulsive like me.

How do you even crash a DJI twice? That takes sheer talent or doing very dumb things. You crashed a smart drone that does everything for you as many times as I crashed a drone that didn't even have the gyro sensor taped down and it had no position hold whatsoever, so it kept drifting around. Oh, and no RTH feature, so you can't just hit the home button.
2018-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

djiuser_iGJqCoTNTQSa Posted at 2018-4-16 09:55
How do you even crash a DJI twice? That takes sheer talent or doing very dumb things. You crashed a smart drone that does everything for you as many times as I crashed a drone that didn't even have the gyro sensor taped down and it had no position hold whatsoever.

Sheer talent my friend. That is what happens to a beginner who jumps to sports mode and has not learnt the controls, inputs and outputs well. Oh and yes also my a person who tried a trick to get the FCC app to work because of poor range. So lesson learnt from all my mistakes and now a very responsible Droner.
2018-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Woe Posted at 2018-4-16 09:54
So have I. He was my first friend on this forum.

I'm waiting for him to ask about his present in the last postand here
2018-4-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>

Suren Posted at 2018-4-16 09:59
I'm waiting for him to ask about his present in the last postand here

What is it?
2018-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Lets wait for Andy if he comes by
2018-4-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>

Suren Posted at 2018-4-16 10:01
Lets wait for Andy if he comes by

Lets respond on your last post. So we don't derail this thread. We are a bit off topic
2018-4-16
Use props
el pelo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236768 ft
United States

I've had the low noise props on my MP for a while and recently put the stock props on...and wow I honestly cannot believe how much of a difference it makes..its crazy.  The frequency is so much better with the low noise props.

Hopefully the Air will have some sort of low noise props soon because they are loud and frequency is not pleasant.
2018-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Woe Posted at 2018-4-16 10:03
Lets respond on your last post. So we don't derail this thread. We are a bit off topic

okay    bring the gift along
2018-4-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>

el pelo Posted at 2018-4-16 10:03
I've had the low noise props on my MP for a while and recently put the stock props on...and wow I honestly cannot believe how much of a difference it makes..its crazy.  The frequency is so much better with the low noise props.

Hopefully the Air will have some sort of low noise props soon because they are loud and frequency is not pleasant.

Totally agree. For the MA to be as small as it is it's very loud.
2018-4-16
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

It has been proven with noise meters that the prop is NOT the main thing that lowers the noise.  I've got the quieter props for my MP, but the difference in sound is so small that I normally don't use them.  The difference in the quieter Mavic is a combination of things, not just the props.  I believe someone "published" the measured difference at about 1db when changing only the props on the MP.  There are firmware tweaks and ESC changes that contribute to the lower noise level.
2018-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-4-16 10:13
It has been proven with noise meters that the prop is NOT the main thing that lowers the noise.  I've got the quieter props for my MP, but the difference in sound is so small that I normally don't use them.  The difference in the quieter Mavic is a combination of things, not just the props.  I believe someone "published" the measured difference at about 1db when changing only the props on the MP.  There are firmware tweaks and ESC changes that contribute to the lower noise level.

Maybe this will help the guys
2018-4-16
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

I purchased the low noise props(8331) for my MP and they are on the way.  Will be interesting to see if I can hear a difference.  I read they also give you longer flight time?  Is this just for the MPP or for the MP also?  I realize it wont be near as much as it would for the MPP but does it basically give a little longer flight time?  Are they overall better than the stock 8330 props?
2018-4-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 2018-4-16 09:01
My first was a Hubsan H501s. Pretty good drone 20 minute flight time fpv etc. Flew it at home the first time with battery at 40% flew well, put it on charge after battery went dead and gave it a go an hour later. I guess the drone wanted a fully charged battery so that it could fly back to China because it took aff and never came backJust went straight up and stopped at nothing. Family and myself kept staring at the sky for over an hour waiting for it to come back, no luck. Cut my losses and bought a Dji spark. Crashed it second day, it got repaired, then crashed it again repaired again, then I decided to stop and start reading and learning all about drone. Has much has these look like toys they are not and are very complicated devices so I fully agree with you, Research properly anything you get and do not be Impulsive like me.

Yeah, I had a Propel HD drone and crashed it after 5 days 20m up a tree in front of my house - hit a few parked cars etc etc - though it really was a toy so no harm done. The wife thought that was that then I went on YT and discovered DJI - 7 of their drones later and the rest is history. Never crashed a DJI drone (touch wood).
2018-4-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks mate - very kind of you!
2018-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-4-16 10:20
Yeah, I had a Propel HD drone and crashed it after 5 days 20m up a tree in front of my house - hit a few parked cars etc etc - though it really was a toy so no harm done. The wife thought that was that then I went on YT and discovered DJI - 7 of their drones later and the rest is history. Never crashed a DJI drone (touch wood).

You lucky we all learn day by day
2018-4-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 2018-4-16 09:30

Thanks too mate! Good to learn from each other. Sooooo, dare I ask what's in the present
2018-4-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Back on topic - the MA also has FOC ESC's BTW - they just need to design the props! I'm sure they will.
2018-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-4-16 10:23
Thanks too mate! Good to learn from each other. Sooooo, dare I ask what's in the present

Mavic Pro 2 Just for you Early Santa Gift to start making some videos and posting for us to see
2018-4-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 2018-4-16 10:31
Mavic Pro 2 Just for you Early Santa Gift to start making some videos and posting for us to see

I'm going to reinstall iMovies this weekend and give it a go. I've got about 100 hours of footage that I've never edited! Kid you not!
2018-4-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-16 10:19
I purchased the low noise props(8331) for my MP and they are on the way.  Will be interesting to see if I can hear a difference.  I read they also give you longer flight time?  Is this just for the MPP or for the MP also?  I realize it wont be near as much as it would for the MPP but does it basically give a little longer flight time?  Are they overall better than the stock 8330 props?

I bought a set to use with my Mavic Alpine white - got about an extra minute of flight time and the noise reduction is noticeable - my mate I was flying with noticed it too.
Returned the Alpine white (long story) and bought the platinum - even quieter but yes, you will notice the sound difference using the 8331's on the original MP. Ensure your FW is up to date as a recent FW update included compatibility with the new props to stop vibrations.  
2018-4-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thought I read it somewhere...
2018-4-16
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-4-16 10:37
I bought a set to use with my Mavic Alpine white - got about an extra minute of flight time and the noise reduction is noticeable - my mate I was flying with noticed it too.
Returned the Alpine white (long story) and bought the platinum - even quieter but yes, you will notice the sound difference using the 8331's on the original MP. Ensure your FW is up to date as a recent FW update included compatibility with the new props to stop vibrations.

Thank you yeah I am at the latest firmware for sure.  In fact looks like they just got delivered and the wind is gone now so can test
2018-4-16
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft

I have compared the standard mavic props, a set of knockoff 8331 and genuine dji 8331 props.  a lot of people say that the tips of the quiet props are made of a different material, but that is not true.  the props ar made of a slightly less rigid plastic, and are a little thinner than the standard props.  The reason people think there is a different material in the tips is that they are even thinner than the main blade and are even more flexible.  the knockoff props appear to be made of the same type of plastic as the standard mavic props and are about the same thickness in the main blade as well.  they do also thin at the tip but not to the same extent as the genuine props.   the noise reduction from the low-noise props i believe comes more from the increased pitch resulting in lower RPMs in a hover than the standard blades.  

as for the mavic air and reducing noise, I don't think you'll see low noise props anytime soon.  the smaller props have to spin at a higher rpm, which results in the higher pitch sound, which is more irritating to most people compared with lower pitch noise.  
2018-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-4-16 10:33
I'm going to reinstall iMovies this weekend and give it a go. I've got about 100 hours of footage that I've never edited! Kid you not!

I'm like an impatient kid just waiting.
2018-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-16 10:19
I purchased the low noise props(8331) for my MP and they are on the way.  Will be interesting to see if I can hear a difference.  I read they also give you longer flight time?  Is this just for the MPP or for the MP also?  I realize it wont be near as much as it would for the MPP but does it basically give a little longer flight time?  Are they overall better than the stock 8330 props?

I also ordered mine last week from ebay waiting for them to come. want to see the difference, also watched on youtube that you get about a minute more flight time with the MPP props, something to do about the air flow
2018-4-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-16 10:42
Thank you yeah I am at the latest firmware for sure.  In fact looks like they just got delivered and the wind is gone now so can test

Cool. One strange thing I do find is that you may still hear the props depending on the wind speed but it is a different sound and sometimes I can hear the drone 300' directly above me but I can not hear at all at eye level 80' in front of me (thats the platinum BTW). The best analogy I can use to describe it is like comparing a large desk fan (MPP) to a wasp nest (MP with older props) or swarm of wasps (MA/Spark) or a ride on lawn mower (P4P) LOL
2018-4-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 2018-4-16 10:50
I also ordered mine last week from ebay waiting for them to come. want to see the difference, also watched on youtube that you get about a minute more flight time with the MPP props, something to do about the air flow

And lower motor RPM mate
2018-4-16
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

hey woe - way i understand it is that they are not actually quieter on the db scale.
They do have another pitch/tone though which brings me to the conclusion that since they are not actually quieter the new pitch /tone (from having changed the wing tip design a bit) is less offensive (or scary) than the higher pitch sound.
2018-4-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules