Reliability of Inspire vs Phantom 3?
4960 31 2015-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

I've been wondering this for a while now and I thought this might be a good time now that some time has past since first shipments of the P3.
So the inspire is definitely an excellent bird and rhe Phantom 3 seems that way too. But I wanted to know how the reliability is between them (in regular conditions, no to low winds).  Is the Phantom 3 "more prone" to flyaway so than and $3k inspire? Besides a better propulsion system of I1, is the p3 have an equally feeling response (stops on the dime). How does the p3 feel to control compared to the inspire? If you can, please post your full experience between the two and preference and opinions. Thanks
2015-5-8
Use props
Boogieman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5611893 ft
  • >>>
United States

I cannot fully quote on the P3 yet.  But having owned every DJI product that flys I can say the inspire 1 is my favorite.  If you want the supercar of flying its your bird. ZERO problems with anything.  I have been flying for quite a few years so keep that in mind to.  Inspire is so smooth in the video and the propulsion is just as smooth.  If you want to zoom around it will blister it.  A major plus is its all in one.  I know the p3 is too.  Think of it this way as the price diff.  The I1 is the Lambo and the P3 is a corvette.  I know weak comparison but if money isnt a issue I would highly hit the I1.  Im still awaiting good weather to get my feel for the P3.
2015-5-8
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

I will be receiving my P3 late next week and will let you know. Having said that, now that the camera and app are the same on both, the major advantages of the Inspire will be better wind handling (it's heavier and more powerful), retractable landing gear that keeps the propellers out of the video, ability to pan the camera 320 degrees, and ability to separate the flying function from the filming function (dual controllers). You'll have the decide for yourself if that's worth an extra $2K.

As for reliability, time will tell. The Inspire has become more stable after multiple firmware releases and the P3 is brand new. It's likely the P3 will go through some maturing pains but I believe that now that the Phantom 3 and Inspire share so much of the same software and hardware platforms, the P3 should be more reliable out of the gate than a typical start-from-scratch design.

2015-5-8
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

Abe Posted at 2015-5-9 07:38
I will be receiving my P3 late next week and will let you know. Having said that, now that the camer ...

I have the I1 (but it's in repair
2015-5-8
Use props
Hooks
lvl.3
Flight distance : 226450 ft
Canada

Love the I1, super smooth and easy to fly.  I have a new  I1 coming in to replace my stolen bird as well as a phantom 3, So I will be able to test the differences soon.
2015-5-8
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

tpallai Posted at 2015-5-9 07:42
I have the I1 (but it's in repair

Same here, Tpallai. The downside of one of the Inspire's advantages, the retractable landing gear, is that it can stop working. That's what happened to mine and I've had to send it in to have it repaired.
2015-5-8
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

Abe Posted at 2015-5-9 07:50
Same here, Tpallai. The downside of one of the Inspire's advantages, the retractable landing gear,  ...

Yes I agree.  And I also figured that it takes longer to set up and bugger, and God forbid it drops from the sky it comes RIGHT on the camera (just like what happened to me :@)
2015-5-8
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

My P3 arrives in the next few days and I'll be doing some comparisons soon.
2015-5-8
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-9 09:49
My P3 arrives in the next few days and I'll be doing some comparisons soon.

I know that they're a decent amount of people who have an inspire also getting a P3. Should I get one along with the inspire? Should I sell my inspire for the P3?
2015-5-8
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

tpallai Posted at 2015-5-9 09:50
I know that they're a decent amount of people who have an inspire also getting a P3. Should I get  ...

I would never sell my Inspire!   I'm expecting the P3 to be a nice companion.  Easy to just toss in the car for a quick shoot, or send out to scout good shots before using the Inspire, and if my Inspire needs to go in for service it will be nice to have it around.

For me the Inspire will always be the Gold Standard.    Being able to pan the camera, second controller for filming, arms retracting to get out of the way and so on.   It's a work of art!
I'll know more next week so I'll reserve comment about anything else until I can speak from experience.
2015-5-8
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-9 10:00
I would never sell my Inspire!   I'm expecting the P3 to be a nice companion.  Easy to just toss in ...

Yes I do like how there's not as much prep for phantom for quicker shots. Let me know next week what you think between the two!
2015-5-8
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

tpallai Posted at 2015-5-9 10:19
Yes I do like how there's not as much prep for phantom for quicker shots. Let me know next week wh ...

Having said that I keep my Inspire fully built and throw it in the car.   When I get somewhere I literally turn it on, check my settings/sensors, and am flying in about 90 seconds.

I'll definitely let you know what I think!
2015-5-8
Use props
Goodwill
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

The reason I'm leaning more towards a Phantom, even though I have an Inspire is because of the support. With the Inspire, there's only one place to send it back and it takes 5-6 weeks. With the Phantom, there seems to be more repair places.
2015-5-8
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

I have an inspire 1, its a total success, i ordered an P3P that came yesterday, it will be use as a companion, a quick way to shoot photos and a handy drone in a backpack, but when i need some more professionalism, the I1 its the way of doing it, a little more time to assemble, but it's worth the extra time and the bigger space you need. I keep both of my Birds in my car with me, same as jimhare, go out of town all weekends to take pictures, you could check my work at:

Instagram: @drfromsky
Facebook: www.facebook.com/drfromsky
2015-5-9
Use props
Jay7
New

India

Hi all
I guess I am at the wrong thread but had to ask
As the dji tech support didn't bother answering the below questions

I understand you can't fly above 4500m above MSL

Can I switch off gps and then fly..???

The reason is I am planing on a road trip to khardungla
Refer the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khardung_La
The road is at 5359m above MSL

And I would like to take pics in that place

So...
-Can I fly with gps on..?
-Can I fly with gps off..?
-If I can fly with gps off
---What ll happen when I ll switch gps on while flying at that altitude,
-Will it try to come to 4500m or will it stop responding,
-Will it crash land
-Also I understand return to home may not work as GPS is off but will return tu RC work...?

Awaiting response from all you experts
Thanks
2015-5-9
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

i am considering skipping the  p3 for now.  i think i will buy a p3 sometime, but for now i have 2 p2s and all the gear and batteries i need and don't want to buy all the accesories that go with the p3.  time to make the jump to the inspire i think.

1.  it will have bugs, it's a dji product.  
2.  can't use p2 gear like batteries and chargers on it.
3.  inspire is just a more robust bird.
2015-5-9
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-5-9 23:58
i am considering skipping the  p3 for now.  i think i will buy a p3 sometime, but for now i have 2 p ...

I have a P2V+, an Inspire, and next week my P3P arrives. I will soon be selling my P2V+. Why? Because once you shoot video at 4K, it's really hard to go back to 1080p. So I believe the best combination will be the Inspire and P3P for all the reasons already posted on this thread.
2015-5-9
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Jay7 Posted at 2015-5-9 23:42
Hi all
I guess I am at the wrong thread but had to ask
As the dji tech support didn't bother answeri ...

Yes, wrong thread, but it's OK.

Can you switch off GPS and fly? Yes, of course. Move the Flight Mode switch to ATTI or IOC mode and you'll be flying without GPS. If you have it in GPS mode and no GPS signal is available, it automatically switches to ATTI mode, even if your Flight Mode switch is on P (GPS) mode. If you switch to GPS mode and no GPS signal is available, it will automatically switch to ATTI mode until it finds a GPS signal. Note that in ATTI mode it still knows about altitude, but not geographic location. So it will be harder to control in wind but should maintain altitude.

As for the 4,500M limit, I'm not aware of anyone that has tried it, but at that height there will be issues with battery life and air density. It's highly likely that if DJI put a hard limit at 4,500 meters, it either will not take off above that height or will stop elevating at that height. But it's unlikely to crash land.

Return to Home requires GPS, regardless of whether you use the aircraft's position or the RC's position. Without GPS it will not know where home is.

Hope that helps.
2015-5-9
Use props
Jay7
New

India

Abe Posted at 2015-5-10 05:46
Yes, wrong thread, but it's OK.

Can you switch off GPS and fly? Yes, of course. Move the Flight Mo ...

Thanks Abe
Makes sence
But the other day when I spoke to some tec support in Germany they sad you can try and they would not know or suggest
Also return to rc will work

Now need to check with people who might have tried
Also I wanna know how people have taken it higher then 500m
Hoping to find ans soon
2015-5-10
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Jay7 Posted at 2015-5-10 22:27
Thanks Abe
Makes sence
But the other day when I spoke to some tec support in Germany they sad you ...

Note that the RC also uses GPS for return to home and dynamic home point. It has  its own GPS sensor and also uses the one in your mobile device, whichever has the strongest signal.
2015-5-10
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Just got my Phantom 3 professional  :-) ...Got my first flight yesterday... I love it it has almost all the features and is way lighter than Inspire...BUT there is no comparison with Inspire One's solid flying experience. I find phantom 3 also less sure of her gps position when hovering around ground. Inspire is VERY solid and i can move within inches accurately....and F---A---S---T !!  I maybe biased but i find the gimble with Inspire one more stable.
2015-6-16
Use props
capalvch
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71125 ft
Venezuela

I just came from filming kitsurfing with the insoire 1 and the P3. Wind was 20 mph offshore. I was able to use both aircraft, but the inspire was much more easy to fly in that conditions. Also, the footage of the inspire was more stable.
2015-6-17
Use props
Reevanth
lvl.1

India

2015-8-2
Use props
Paul Joy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3754318 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've just written a huge post about this subject (link below) but  the Phantom 3 is a hugely capable little machine. Unless you need the dual operator and advanced gimbal features the Inspire offers there's very little in terms of it's ability to grab great shots over the Phantom 3 Professional. I'd say it's impossible to differentiate between them in terms of reliability, both use similar technology and are equally prone to user error or hardware failure. I do however think the Inspire would be more prone to damage from a rough landing or minor crash.

Phantom 3 vs Inspire 1
2015-8-3
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

I still love the I1 over either P3 but just as with Abe, mine is in the shop because of landing gear not working properly nor receiving input from the controller.
2015-8-3
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

capalvch@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-18 03:33
I just came from filming kitsurfing with the insoire 1 and the P3. Wind was 20 mph offshore. I was a ...

if the p3 is anything like the p2 then use the atti mode, it will increase your top speed from 30mph to around 48 or so and is much more effective for combating high winds, however it may also drop in altitude when flying full speed and not fly perfectly straight like in gps mode without you compensating for it.  But all in all with a little practice atti mode is easy to master and greatly improves top speed ability of the phantom and inspire as well when flying against a strong headwind.  Ive had my inspire going 84mph with a very strong tailwind in atti mode but it only went 14 against it so always fly into high winds first to ensure ability to return to landing zone before running out of juice  
2015-8-6
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

Paul Joy Posted at 2015-8-3 20:45
I've just written a huge post about this subject (link below) but  the Phantom 3 is a hugely capable ...

you are right about the crashing, phantoms can handle a crash usually with only prop damage where inspires break camera gimbles and arms easily and will cost you around $1000 to repair with even a light crash.  they are far too fragile in my opinion.  the carbon fiber arms are paper thin.  If they were thicker they might fare a little better but currently they break easily which leaves the camera completely unprotected and pretty much guaranteed to break in half.  A new one is $550, ouch!  With stronger arms theres a much higher chance the camera would survive.  The phantoms landing gear is surprisingly strong and does a great job of protecting the camera.  I crashed my p2 a few times and quite hard once at full speed when i had a compass calibration error mid flight and it took off uncontrollable at full speed straight into the ground bouncing along for about 20 feet and only had broken props, quite impressive as i was sure it was totaled as hard as it hit and as far as it bounced.  Wish i had that crash on video, heh.
2015-8-6
Use props
wraith81
lvl.1

United States

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-8-6 16:54
if the p3 is anything like the p2 then use the atti mode, it will increase your top speed from 30m ...

84 MPH!? I'd be nervous as hell doing that.  Do you have a video from that run?  I'd love to see it.  
2015-8-6
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

wraith81 Posted at 2015-8-7 03:36
84 MPH!? I'd be nervous as hell doing that.  Do you have a video from that run?  I'd love to see i ...

no video, not much to see really, i was a cloudy day and i was flying high to catch the wind.   i did take a screen shot of a previous time where i hit 82.4mph but its too large to post here.   I didnt fly that fast for long, I basically just went until it hit maximum speed took screenshot and then backed off.  Doesnt take long to cover some distance at that speed.  I flew against the wind a little ways where i was only able to achieve around 14 mph and then came back towards and past myself before it got up to 82.4.  
2015-8-6
Use props
capalvch
lvl.3
United States

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-8-6 04:54
if the p3 is anything like the p2 then use the atti mode, it will increase your top speed from 30m ...

You are absolutely right!
2015-9-4
Use props
capalvch
lvl.3
United States

I just came back from Biarritz in France and I used your advice with my phantom 3 pro, and it worket perfectly in strong wind at the beach. It was nice to travel to Europe with the small Dji backpack instead of the bigger Inspire case!
2015-9-4
Use props
capalvch
lvl.3
United States

I just came back from Biarritz in France and I used your advice with my phantom 3 pro, and it worket perfectly in strong wind at the beach. It was nice to travel to Europe with the small Dji backpack instead of the bigger Inspire case!
2015-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules