Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OTG for spark, is it back in DJI GO 4 _ 4.2.12
123Next >
17612 109 2018-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BMelody
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3146 ft
United States

Please read "What's New" under Spark (Android only) Optimized OTG performance!! Have our prayers been answered? Has the OTG for Spark using Android finally been fixed? Only time will tell.

2018-4-16
Use props
Junior SBC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 476483 ft
Brazil

Good news! Thank you for sharing... But, here in Brazil is 4.2.8
2018-4-16
Use props
The Bash's
lvl.4

United States

Where are you downloading from?  Google Play still has version 4.2.8 and said it was updated April 16,2018....
2018-4-16
Use props
BMelody
lvl.4
United States

I have not found it yet (still looking) just read the release notes.
2018-4-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

This might help quell the false rumours that dji deliberately cut off otg from users in Europe, although I think the naysayers will still have something to complain about.
2018-4-17
Use props
LordSangreal
New
Flight distance : 344754 ft
Brazil

Good news!
2018-4-17
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

So if it's only the OTG support and nothing new I stay with the stable 4.1.15, and smallest app version. I don't want all the Mavic Air in it. Bug fixed camera view has nothing the do with 4.1.15, but it's up to you to upgrade. I would like to see the Mavic Air dronies for the spark
2018-4-17
Use props
Stevieob
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8287 ft
Ireland

I'm on 4.2.8 HTC 10 In Ireland
2018-4-17
Use props
JimFandango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 130768 ft
United Kingdom

I'm reading this with great, interest, but the lastest version I can see in the Google Play Store in the UK is 4.2.8.
2018-4-17
Use props
BMelody
lvl.4
United States

4.2.8 here in the USA as well. Let's hope DJI releases 4.2.12 to Google Play soon. I will continue to use 4.1.15 in my phone used for the spark until 4.2.12 is available. I am running 4.2.8 in my Moverio glasses and would really like 4.2.12 for them so I can get OTG for the spark when using the glasses. Currently 4.2.8 has OTG with the MP but not the spark. However WiFi is working well with the Moverio's and the spark. I have been thinking of side loading 4.1.15 into the Moverio glasses but have not done so yet. Fingers crossed!
2018-4-17
Use props
idbl_fanatic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 509741 ft
United States

4.2.12 here
2018-4-17
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

BMelody Posted at 2018-4-17 05:25
4.2.8 here in the USA as well. Let's hope DJI releases 4.2.12 to Google Play soon. I will continue to use 4.1.15 in my phone used for the spark until 4.2.12 is available. I am running 4.2.8 in my Moverio glasses and would really like 4.2.12 for them so I can get OTG for the spark when using the glasses. Currently 4.2.8 has OTG with the MP but not the spark. However WiFi is working well with the Moverio's and the spark. I have been thinking of side loading 4.1.15 into the Moverio glasses but have not done so yet. Fingers crossed!

Ok, so I've tested the newly released DJI GO 4 and here are my results. I've tested DJI GO 4 4.2.12 build 557 with a Spark firmware 01.00.0900. DJI Assistant claims this is the newest firmware.

First the good news, OTG really displays the essential flight data again. Now the bad news, I can't see the the info about the WiFi channels (how much interference there is for each of them) and I am unable to force the RC to switch between the 5,8 GHz and 2,4 GHz band. It doesn't matter whether I use the cable or go on WiFi only connection. It simply doesn't work at all. The only way how I'm able to see it is when I reset the WiFi of the Spark and connect to it directly by phone. It connects via 2,4GHz and I can see the channel info just fine. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that my phone can't use the 5,8Ghz band but we will need more people to test it out. I'll include some screenshots below.

flight_data.jpg
no_channel_data.jpg
build.jpg
release_note.jpg
2018-4-17
Use props
dj_dread
Second Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

4.2.8 in my case..still waiting
2018-4-17
Use props
adra2895
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24131 ft
Costa Rica

Same here, 4.2.8 on android, google pixel 2. Would be great having back the OTG
2018-4-17
Use props
idbl_fanatic
lvl.4
United States

Here for all of you that don't see it https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... MZIj0Jo4StZ-nP/view
2018-4-17
Use props
dj_dread
Second Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

idbl_fanatic Posted at 2018-4-17 10:53
Here for all of you that don't see it https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eQW5MdNxlbmpZeQpKBMZIj0Jo4StZ-nP/view

be blessed!
2018-4-17
Use props
BMelody
lvl.4
United States

Vyborny83 Posted at 2018-4-17 10:11
Ok, so I've tested the newly released DJI GO 4 and here are my results. I've tested DJI GO 4 4.2.12 build 557 with a Spark firmware 01.00.0900. DJI Assistant claims this is the newest firmware.

First the good news, OTG really displays the essential flight data again. Now the bad news, I can't see the the info about the WiFi channels (how much interference there is for each of them) and I am unable to force the RC to switch between the 5,8 GHz and 2,4 GHz band. It doesn't matter whether I use the cable or go on WiFi only connection. It simply doesn't work at all. The only way how I'm able to see it is when I reset the WiFi of the Spark and connect to it directly by phone. It connects via 2,4GHz and I can see the channel info just fine. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that my phone can't use the 5,8Ghz band but we will need more people to test it out. I'll include some screenshots below.

Good Job!  I've heard of other people not seeing the WiFi info in 4.2.8 as well. Not sure what all that is about.

I see in your screen shot you are using 5.8 I though you said you could not use 5.8.

How did you download the file to your phone? I see the file and can download it to my PC but not sure how to get it to my phone and/or Moverio glasses. I may have to wait until it is available at Google Play to avoid doing something stupid and brick my $800.00 dollar glasses.

~ Bill
2018-4-17
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Czechia

BMelody Posted at 2018-4-17 11:48
Good Job!  I've heard of other people not seeing the WiFi info in 4.2.8 as well. Not sure what all that is about.

I see in your screen shot you are using 5.8 I though you said you could not use 5.8.

Yeah, I also remember several people complaining about not being able to see the WiFi with the older versions but since I stayed on 4.1.14 up untill now I didn't have those problems myself.

The band you see is between the RC and Spark and the RC can use 5,8GHz. It's my phone that can't use it. The whole point of OTG for me was so that I can use it to connect the phone to the RC and use 2,4 Ghz band between the Spark and the RC (as it has much higher allowed max output compared to 5,8GHz), but after the upgrade I can't change the band no matter how hard I try (worked perfetly in 4.1.14 btw.).

As to the Screenshot part, I have an Asus Zenphone and I found a way to map it to the button that normally displays the history of running apps :
Tap on "Application" >> Tap "Settings" >> Choose "ASUS customized" from options. >> Choose "Key settings">> Choose "Tap and hold to get screenshot" >> Navigate to the screen you want to capture. >> Press and hold   icon to capture the screenshot.
2018-4-17
Use props
BMelody
lvl.4
United States

Vyborny83 Posted at 2018-4-17 12:02
Yeah, I also remember several people complaining about not being able to see the WiFi with the older versions but since I stayed on 4.1.14 up untill now I didn't have those problems myself.

The band you see is between the RC and Spark and the RC can use 5,8GHz. It's my phone that can't use it. The whole point of OTG for me was so that I can use it to connect the phone to the RC and use 2,4 Ghz band between the Spark and the RC (as it has much higher allowed max output compared to 5,8GHz), but after the upgrade I can't change the band no matter how hard I try (worked perfetly in 4.1.14 btw.).

That's cool on mapping the button on your phone. I will have to see if my phones will allow me to do that.

How did you download and install 4.2.12 to your phone?
2018-4-17
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Czechia

BMelody Posted at 2018-4-17 12:08
That's cool on mapping the button on your phone. I will have to see if my phones will allow me to do that.

How did you download and install 4.2.12 to your phone?

Well, Google Play offered it to me as an update for my installed DJI GO 4 but they are releasing it in waves so many people can't see it yet. Idbl_fanatic uploaded the installation file in post #15 so you can download it an install it from there but you will probably have to allow the installation of unsigned applications on your phone. Or you can wait till Google Play offers it to you on its own ;).
2018-4-17
Use props
BMelody
lvl.4
United States

I see, thanks. I have auto updates turned off to keep things at 4.1.15. I guess I will have to wait.  
2018-4-17
Use props
djiuser_ORT03tqNgLhm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2217402 ft
United Kingdom

My Samsung s8 works on that WiFi and let's me change signal from 2 to 5.8ghz it must be your phone not slowing it other people on the spark forums have checked as well with it working.
https://sparkpilots.zone/index.php?threads/5627/
2018-4-17
Use props
Junior SBC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 476483 ft

Samsung J7 3Gb Ram, Android 6.0, urban zone with big signal interferences. Video transmitions, OTG and maps offline for me are perfect
20180417_180836.jpg
2018-4-17
Use props
BMelody
lvl.4
United States

Well I was able to downloaded the 4.2.12 app using google drive and install it. First I tried an update to 4.1.15 and it updated to 4.2.12 however the spark would only connect using WiFi. Next I uninstalled 4.1.15 and loaded 4.2.12 only (fresh install). The phone would still only connect using Wifi. When ever I turn off the WiFI and try to connecting using an OTG cable the app starts but switches to a Mavic Air not a spark. The app will not let me switch to Spark. Uninstall 4.2.12 and installed 4.1.15 and OTG works fine. What's up?
2018-4-17
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

It would seem 4.2.12 has been pulled from the Play store, leaving 4.2.8 as latest.

Those who downloaded it from the Play Store are reporting the store no longer shows .12, however if it was installed it is not self-downgrading.
2018-4-18
Use props
idbl_fanatic
lvl.4
United States

@DJI electra, Why was the .2.12 pulled?
2018-4-18
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Czechia

Interresting part is that on my PC when I go to the Google Play I can see the 4.2.8 as the newest version, on my phone however, I can see the 4.2.12 and the release date is 18.4.2018, it's a new build. Yesterday they released build 557, today 561. Seems they are still working on it. I still can't see the WiFi channel info though.
2018-4-18
Use props
tomkrist
lvl.3
Flight distance : 276473 ft
Norway

What cabel do i need to get this to work? I guess i cant just use a normal usb cabel from my phone to rc?
2018-4-18
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

tomkrist Posted at 2018-4-18 07:51
What cabel do i need to get this to work? I guess i cant just use a normal usb cabel from my phone to rc?

You would need an OTG cable. This is not a normal USB cable, though it looks the same.

Easiest way: look for Mavic cables.
2018-4-18
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Junior SBC Posted at 2018-4-17 14:06
Samsung J7 3Gb Ram, Android 6.0, urban zone with big signal interferences. Video transmitions, OTG and maps offline for me are perfect

very big like!
2018-4-18
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

tomkrist Posted at 2018-4-18 07:51

For testing?
If you have a (older/used) USB OTG Adapter somewhere, you are fine.
Connect that with the charger/datacable for your Phone, plug the other end of the charger cable in the phone, start RC, wait till LED is solid red and plug the adapters micro USB side IN the RC.
2018-4-18
Use props
BMelody
lvl.4
United States

I downloaded 4.2.12 to my google drive yesterday using the info you (idbl_fanatic) provided. I tried it yesterday but was not able to get it to connect. I saw your post this morning and wanted to see if was still on my google drive. It was so I thought I would try it again. I selected "NEW" when prompted. It installed and I was able to activate it, but it still went to Mavic Air and would not allow me to select the spark. I tried a different OTG cable (3rd one) and this time it connected. I turned everything off and tried auto connect again, it went back to mavic air. In order for me to get it to run I have to auto connect to mavic air kill the program then restart it manually from the screen. It will show mavic air but then switches to spark using OTG (WiFi off). I put the spark outside to allow it to connect to the GPS birds then switched on the WiFI to allow maps to update then switched off the WiFi. All went well everything appeared normal. I checked RSSI/interference window on 5.8  and it is also working showing  all the bars.

Have not flown yet but will later.

I never did see 4.2.12 on google play. I emailed DJI and asked when it would be released to google and the response was, "SOON" , big help.  Bummer if has been removed. I hope no major bug has been discovered. Might be a good idea to wait and see.
2018-4-18
Use props
idbl_fanatic
lvl.4
United States

BMelody Posted at 2018-4-18 08:15
I downloaded 4.2.12 to my google drive yesterday using the info you (idbl_fanatic) provided. I tried it yesterday but was not able to get it to connect. I saw your post this morning and wanted to see if was still on my google drive. It was so I thought I would try it again. I selected "NEW" when prompted. It installed and I was able to activate it, but it still went to Mavic Air and would not allow me to select the spark. I tried a different OTG cable (3rd one) and this time it connected. I turned everything off and tried auto connect again, it went back to mavic air. In order for me to get it to run I have to auto connect to mavic air kill the program then restart it manually from the screen. It will show mavic air but then switches to spark using OTG (WiFi off). I put the spark outside to allow it to connect to the GPS birds then switched on the WiFI to allow maps to update then switched off the WiFi. All went well everything appeared normal. I checked RSSI/interference window on 5.8  and it is also working showing  all the bars.

Have not flown yet but will later.

Yeah I wonder if this is why they pulled it, and updated it, some are reporting a newer version, I never saw it on the playstore either
2018-4-18
Use props
BMelody
lvl.4
United States

Vyborny83 Posted at 2018-4-18 07:51
Interresting part is that on my PC when I go to the Google Play I can see the 4.2.8 as the newest version, on my phone however, I can see the 4.2.12 and the release date is 18.4.2018, it's a new build. Yesterday they released build 557, today 561. Seems they are still working on it. I still can't see the WiFi channel info though.

I finally got 2.12 to run with an OTG cable. Interesting thing is I can see all the RSSI/interference data. All looks normal but like you said cannot select 2.4 GHz.
2018-4-18
Use props
Haggi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2581785 ft
Norway

BMelody Posted at 2018-4-18 08:25
I finally got 2.12 to run with an OTG cable. Interesting thing is I can see all the RSSI/interference data. All looks normal but like you said cannot select 2.4 GHz.

If you tap channel 5 and hit "Apply".. then power off your AC, power AC on again. Wait 20 sec for AC and RC to reconnect. Do you still not gettin 2.4?
2018-4-18
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

idbl_fanatic Posted at 2018-4-18 08:20
Yeah I wonder if this is why they pulled it, and updated it, some are reporting a newer version, I never saw it on the playstore either

Yah... I just checked using a Google Play (from Chrome on a Mac in the U.S.) and got an upload date of today April 18th and it's 4.2.8.
2018-4-18
Use props
idbl_fanatic
lvl.4
United States

This is strange, when I go into the play store, and search for DJI Go 4, it states that it isn't compatible with any of my devices, yet..............I have it installed on 3 of them, I have 4.1.15 on my NExus 6P, 4.2.8 on my tablet, and 4.2.12 on my Essential phone
2018-4-18
Use props
Sparky Sparkinson
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5614 ft
United States

I'm an android developer by profession. It's normal to do a staged roll out of new versions. So, only a small percentage of users get the update at first. If there are issues, that version will be rolled back for more work.

So, if you haven't gotten 4.2.12 yet, it is because the staged rollout hasn't reached you or they may have found issues and pulled 4.2.12 from the market.  If it is the latter, hopefully they will quickly make some corrections and rerelease it.
2018-4-19
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sparky Sparkinson Posted at 2018-4-19 06:36
I'm an android developer by profession. It's normal to do a staged roll out of new versions. So, only a small percentage of users get the update at first. If there are issues, that version will be rolled back for more work.

So, if you haven't gotten 4.2.12 yet, it is because the staged rollout hasn't reached you or they may have found issues and pulled 4.2.12 from the market.  If it is the latter, hopefully they will quickly make some corrections and rerelease it.

Thanks for that perspective.  What's odd -to me- is that the documentation under "READ MORE" and availability has changed.  
On the 17th, 4.2.12 was there...
on the 18th it was gone and under the 4.2.8 version the "Updated" was changed to April 18th (see my screen shot in post #36),
and today (April 19th) the same link has 4.2.8 version showing March 23rd !!  

I think something is going on with Google Play!  
Personally, I've waited for three months for the fix, I can wait a few more days/weeks until something shows up that makes sense :-)  
2018-4-19
Use props
M1dn1ght N1nj4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 11522 ft
United States

Speaking of.  Does anyone have a working OTG cable/set that goes from the MicroUSB on the controller to a USB-C port? (I have the Pixel 2 XL).  Where did you get yours?  I'd like as small a cable as possible.  8" is about as long as it needs to be.
2018-4-19
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules