Mavic Air smoking after flight?
1787 19 2018-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dgordon36
New
Flight distance : 9016 ft
United States

I just purchased a Mavic Air.  I flew the drone on two different occassions and after the second one (today) smoke was coming out of the body of the drone (I could both see it and smell it).  Is this normal?  It seems to function fine, but I worry it won't hold up if there is some malfunction that caused this!
2018-4-16
Use props
dgordon36
New
United States

I wonder if I should return to the store and exchange it...
2018-4-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Not normal.  Unless you got Gas powered model.
2018-4-16
Use props
AussieFlyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165213 ft
Australia

I'm surprised you need to ask if smoke coming from any electronic device is normal!
2018-4-16
Use props
Inspire_Max
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9211303 ft
  • >>>
Italy

It’s the last FW upgrade. Special effects added at landing.

Do you hear the fan working when the  Mavic is hot.

2018-4-16
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

dgordon36 Posted at 2018-4-16 20:36
I wonder if I should return to the store and exchange it...

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. Could you please show us some photos and provide the related log file? I will forward it to our engineers for a check, thanks!
2018-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Send it back fast
2018-4-16
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft

If you need to ask if that’s normal you really should not be flying the drone.
2018-4-17
Use props
dgordon36
New
United States

I'm a scientist and engineer with a PhD...I can handle it, thank you.  I thought it was possible that as the drone got hot something of lesser importance (like sloppily applied oil) could have burned a little on a heat sink.  But I don't want to bet on something like that, so I replaced the drone today.

2018-4-17
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

No. Not normal at all. Open a ticket so they confirm that you have to send it for reps.
2018-4-19
Use props
maurom82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143757 ft
Italy

how can it be normal?!? Strange question...but it's not normal..send it for repair..
2018-4-19
Use props
Rawsome
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Maybe just a very satisfying flight?
JK id send it back.
2018-4-19
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

That is definitely NOT normal!
2018-4-19
Use props
Exib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Are you being truthful in asking this question so much footage online of DJI drones flying I have never seen smoke coming out of any drones

If it did and I had only done 2flights I would be returning it without asking any questions on the forum
2018-4-19
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

He said he replaced it which is the only route to go.  
2018-4-19
Use props
dgordon36
New
United States

Exib Posted at 2018-4-19 13:51
Are you being truthful in asking this question so much footage online of DJI drones flying I have never seen smoke coming out of any drones

If it did and I had only done 2flights I would be returning it without asking any questions on the forum

I probably won't be posting more on the forum given the responses, but yeah -- it happened -- for realz.
2018-4-20
Use props
Exib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dgordon36 Posted at 2018-4-20 18:41
I probably won't be posting more on the forum given the responses, but yeah -- it happened -- for realz.

Honestly not trying to be rude but if I bought a new OLED Tv and only watched it twice and on both occasions smoke was coming out of the back I would be thinking something was wrong and speak to the company \organisation I purchased it from

These forums are the best place to discuss
2018-4-21
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

You know, I just read out your post to my wife and she burst out laughing. She thinks you should be concerned.
She has never flown a drone, but is quite certain this is not a good sign.
Back to the shop you must go, without delay. Get a non-smoker, it will live longer.
2018-4-21
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

dgordon36 Posted at 2018-4-17 16:33
I'm a scientist and engineer with a PhD...I can handle it, thank you.  I thought it was possible that as the drone got hot something of lesser importance (like sloppily applied oil) could have burned a little on a heat sink.  But I don't want to bet on something like that, so I replaced the drone today.

Glad you got it sorted out.  If you have any other problems, do not deal with DJI, just take it back to the store where you purchased it and swap it for a working drone or get your money back.

Additionally, any new drone user should feel comfortable asking any question in this forum - the unhelpful responses are unfortunate.
2018-4-21
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i agree with krytonyte. Any new drone user should feel comfortable asking any question in this forum - the unhelpful responses are unfortunate. glad you exchanged it as it is the only proper action in the circumstances.
2018-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules