Panorama with Inspire 1 Pro: mission impossible?
1343 2 2018-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

I have spent some money and a great deal of time trying to persuade the mighty Inspire to perform this apparently trivial task. The idea is to take the advantage of Zenmuse X5 ability to shoot pictures with longer lens - say, 25 mm - and stitch really high resolution panoramic image in result. I must report that my experiments with few presumably capable applications aren't too impressive by far ...
Venerable Litchi simply can't do the job with Inspire 1 because the bird is drifting significantly during sequence shooting. GPS is holding the position for particular row shooting with nicely rotating Inspire gimbal, then the drone drifts with the wind like in ATTI, then stops to shoot next row etc. For 12x6 sequence she can drift in steps good 50 meters in mild wind, delivering impossible to stitch pictures. Accordingly to Litchi tech sup this is known issue with Inspire 1 and Phantom 3 series due to some FW bug.

Hangar Autopilot is offering truly impressive set of features for pano, but the execution is awkward with unpredictable gimbal behaviour. One must determine many exotic parameters first (precise position in space including) before engaging pano shooting mission, and gimbal behavioral settings are hard to understand. After engage command execution the Inspire is taking off abruptly to reach the destination, making some weird rotating dance first. Scary. Beside that the sequences are missing some shoots sometimes, making stitched quilt with holes. Way too complicated.

DronePan app (free) seems to be the simpliest and sufficient enough. You fly to a desired place, set the position and picture parameters in Go app, switch to DronePan and execute pre-programed sequence. Done. Well, unless the app is displaying the warning "can't determine gimbal attitude" ... ? ... End of story. Apparently 3-axis Inspire gimbal is the troublemaker, an feature too confusing to all pano-capable applications.

Luckily, DJI Go 4 app is offering nicely crafted Pano mode for Phantom 4 Pro. Single spherical sequence contains 34 images neatly stored in folder on SD card, single battery allow for shooting 4-5 alternative sequences of JPEG+RAW images. The quality of well over 200 MP stitched image is simply astonishing.

I may simply abandon this apparently difficult mission of shooting auto-panorama with Inspire 1. Unless somebody here can re-direct my ways of researching the issue ...

2018-4-16
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Why don't you just fly/capture manually?
I've made hundreds of Panos with the Inspire 1 and Hugin for post-capture stitching.

Not everything needs to be done with an app..
2018-4-16
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Farnk666 Posted at 2018-4-16 21:13
Why don't you just fly/capture manually?
I've made hundreds of Panos with the Inspire 1 and Hugin for post-capture stitching.

Great idea, brother Farnk666, but I can't imagine myself taking 6 rows of 12 pictures each, plus 4 nadirs and 4 of zenith, all in 12-13 minutes manually ... That's what 25 mm lens will require to stitch 360x180 sphere. Not every panorama is made the same way...
2018-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules