CineSSD Info
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tommyguns11
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5242769 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can't seem to find the information I'm looking for and decided to come here in hope of resolution!  Thanks in advance, as I haven't made the purchase yet.

Can anyone confirm if the CineSSD drive in any capacity can serve as a replacement for the MicroSD card to store photographs and standard h.264/h.265 video?  I know it's needed with the high end codecs, but I was wondering since the drive is so much faster if I can use it as a replacement?  I do some aerial surveys and I think the buffer speeds are faster, but I'm not sure if I can use it for photographs and standard video up to 4K.

Regards,
TjB
2018-4-17
Use props
Tommyguns11
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bump.  Nobody?
2018-4-17
Use props
mixchief
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a I1 Raw and the SSD only records Raw video, the micro SD records photos  and compressed video, I could be wrong, by I am assuming that is also the case on the I2
2018-4-17
Use props
Tommyguns11
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

mixchief Posted at 2018-4-17 11:52
I have a I1 Raw and the SSD only records Raw video, the micro SD records photos  and compressed video, I could be wrong, by I am assuming that is also the case on the I2

Thanks for the response.  I'm not sure if the I2 is any different.  I have a friend who hasn't tried it on his I2, but shares your sentiments.  He's going to report back tonight when he gets home with what the capabilities are.  I'll report back what he says.  DJI should be more clear with this information on their product details page.
2018-4-17
Use props
VisualeyesAerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Quick update from a DJI Employee:  I spoke with a DJI representative at the DJI Store in Costa Mesa, CA and I was told that the SSD will ONLY record UNCOMPRESSED RAW Video.  This means that you'd also need one of the codecs (ProRes or CinemaDNG) unlocked.  It will not record compressed video h.264/h.265 formats AVI or MOV.  My buddy is still going to test this tonight to see what exactly you can do with the MicroSD card removed with just the SSD card installed.  I will have answers soon, but it seems unless you're doing high end video production, it doesn't make sense to make the purchase.
2018-4-17
Use props
mixchief
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>

VisualeyesAerial Posted at 2018-4-17 14:09
Quick update from a DJI Employee:  I spoke with a DJI representative at the DJI Store in Costa Mesa, CA and I was told that the SSD will ONLY record UNCOMPRESSED RAW Video.  This means that you'd also need one of the codecs (ProRes or CinemaDNG) unlocked.  It will not record compressed video h.264/h.265 formats AVI or MOV.  My buddy is still going to test this tonight to see what exactly you can do with the MicroSD card removed with just the SSD card installed.  I will have answers soon, but it seems unless you're doing high end video production, it doesn't make sense to make the purchase.

I have a feeling you cannot do anything without the micro SD installed, I personally haven't tried it as I alternate between folding an photographing, but I've read a couple of posts where someone couldn't record anything and first question asked by the DJI crew was "did you have an SD card installed"
2018-4-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi TjB, we have made it clear in specs and the workflow of the camera on our website.
GTScreenshot_20180418_155019.png GTScreenshot_20180418_154935.png
In summary, the pictures and standard h.264/h.265 video are saved in Micro SD card, while the RAW Burst Shooting and the CinemaDNG and AppleProRes are saved in SSD card.
2018-4-17
Use props
VisualeyesAerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-17 23:59
Hi TjB, we have made it clear in specs and the workflow of the camera on our website.
[view_image][view_image]
In summary, the pictures and standard h.264/h.265 video are saved in Micro SD card, while the RAW Burst Shooting and the CinemaDNG and AppleProRes are saved in SSD card.

Thanks Mindy!  Yes, I saw that last night after I posted.  My friend did a true life test and indeed the Micro SD is required for photos and compressed video.  Only the ProRes/CinemaDNG codecs will record to the CineSSD.

Thanks everyone!
2018-4-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

VisualeyesAerial Posted at 2018-4-18 08:23
Thanks Mindy!  Yes, I saw that last night after I posted.  My friend did a true life test and indeed the Micro SD is required for photos and compressed video.  Only the ProRes/CinemaDNG codecs will record to the CineSSD.

Thanks everyone!

OK, hope you have a great time on flying Inspire 2 and looking forward to some great footage from you.
2018-4-24
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSystems
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7152087 ft
  • >>>

VisualeyesAerial Posted at 2018-4-18 08:23
Thanks Mindy!  Yes, I saw that last night after I posted.  My friend did a true life test and indeed the Micro SD is required for photos and compressed video.  Only the ProRes/CinemaDNG codecs will record to the CineSSD.

Thanks everyone!

Just for your info, ProRes is compressed lol.

But, the reason why the SD needs to be inserted in mainly for live playback of footage from the Inspire. It sort of breaks functionality if there is no SD inserted. Plus H.264/5 files can be used for rushes and dailies on set which is quite convenient too.
2018-4-24
Use props
dopey-tree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In my experience photos always go to the micro sd card however on the website it says something about 20fps continuous shooting for stills.. however I don't really understand what it means. I've not tried it as I mainly shoot video..

"LOSSLESS IN-VIDEO SINGLE AND BURST PHOTO CAPTURE

Using only the Micro SD card, 20.8MP stills can be captured at 14fps in Burst Mode in JPEG+DNG. Using the DJI CINESSD opens up 20fps continuous DNG Burst Mode with a maximum image resolution of 20.8 megapixels. Stills can also be taken during video recording without interruption."

"Micro SD: Single shot, Burst Shooting:
3/5/7/10/14 frames, Auto Exposure Bracketing, 3/5 bracketed frames at 0.7EV bias, Interval
SSD: RAW Burst Shooting:
3/5/7/10/14/20/∞ frames"
2018-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules