The Pro's antennas are in forward legs: landing gear interferes..
3072 21 2018-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
daisy-girl
lvl.2

... with reception?

Landing gear.JPG
2018-4-17
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

short answer - no. long answer - no it does not interfere with reception. the signal comes out along the length of the leg not out of the tips at the bottom. same with controler antena - signal comes out the length of the flat antena not out of the tips. the tips are a very week point of signal reception/transmission.
2018-4-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Not from my experience with Mavic Pro P.  However, I have kept mine within 800-feet.
2018-4-17
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Please don't be so, I ordered my extensions and waiting for them to come, hope it really does not interfere
2018-4-17
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

The extensions give no problems as far as I can assess. I've flown with the same kind of landing kit on my own MP for some time now - I'm still doing it and will keep it that way. It is fair to mention that I never fly quite far away from the controller, so if it can reduce the effect over longer distances I don't know.

A little tip: I've had more than one set of these extensions, but lost one or both of the front legs during flights. The solution was gluing with some kind of silicone adhesive. The glue never cures up to hard but stays as a durable, soft and flexible mass that makes it possible to remove the legs from the drone again. The rear extension sits very well on it's own.
2018-4-17
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

FlyDK Posted at 2018-4-17 11:19
The extensions give no problems as far as I can assess. I've flown with the same kind of landing kit on my own MP for some time now - I'm still doing it and will keep it that way. It is fair to mention that I never fly quite far away from the controller, so if it can reduce the effect over longer distances I don't know.

A little tip: I've had more than one set of these extensions, but lost one or both of the front legs during flights. The solution was gluing with some kind of silicone adhesive. The glue never cures up to hard but stays as a durable, soft and flexible mass that makes it possible to remove the legs from the drone again. The rear extension sits very well on it's own.

I fly with the Landing extensions on all the time. Don't believe they would cause an interference problem since they are not a metallic item.  
FlyDk, thanks for the tip on holding on to the leg extension.  I  lost one and had to buy a new set.
2018-4-17
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Denmark

B1houdini Posted at 2018-4-17 11:57
I fly with the Landing extensions on all the time. Don't believe they would cause an interference problem since they are not a metallic item.  
FlyDk, thanks for the tip on holding on to the leg extension.  I  lost one and had to buy a new set.

You're welcome.
I used this glue (link to Amazon). https://amzn.to/2HG2L4W.
2018-4-17
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
South Africa

Suren Posted at 2018-4-17 10:44
Please don't be so, I ordered my extensions and waiting for them to come, hope it really does not interfere

it does not interfere with signal at all suren
2018-4-17
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
South Africa

the image below shows a modification made to my rear leg extensions in order to make the rear light more visible (especially during night flight)
It helped me see the drone and its orientation much better at night time.
2018-4-17
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
South Africa

Suren Posted at 2018-4-17 10:44

i made a modification to my rear legs extender - check post 9 of this thread for image of mod.
To me it definitely made a positive impact on my ability to see the rear light better with the modification which was especially beneficial during night flights.
2018-4-17
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
South Africa

I fly with the Landing extensions on all the time. Don't believe they would cause an interference problem since they are not a metallic item.  
FlyDk, thanks for the tip on holding on to the leg extension.  I  lost one and had to buy a new set.

i made a modification to my rear legs extender - check post 9 of this thread for image of mod.
To me it definitely made a positive impact on my ability to see the rear light better with the modification which was especially beneficial during night flights.
2018-4-17
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
South Africa

FlyDK Posted at 2018-4-17 11:19
The extensions give no problems as far as I can assess. I've flown with the same kind of landing kit on my own MP for some time now - I'm still doing it and will keep it that way. It is fair to mention that I never fly quite far away from the controller, so if it can reduce the effect over longer distances I don't know.

A little tip: I've had more than one set of these extensions, but lost one or both of the front legs during flights. The solution was gluing with some kind of silicone adhesive. The glue never cures up to hard but stays as a durable, soft and flexible mass that makes it possible to remove the legs from the drone again. The rear extension sits very well on it's own.

It is my guess that in europe you do not fly at nite but anyway this may interest you.
2018-4-17
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-17 12:45
It is my guess that in europe you do not fly at nite but anyway this may interest you.
To me it definitely made a positive impact on my ability to see the rear light better with the modification which was especially beneficial during night flights.

Great tip it seems - thanks.
BTW, in Denmark where I live, we are actually allowed to fly at night, but as far as I know, not many do it. Not the same rules all over EU.
2018-4-17
Use props
Six6Sics #666
lvl.3
Flight distance : 164236 ft
Australia

Although I read that a lot of people disagree with the OP, I had multiple issues with my chosen leg extenders - all resolved by removing them.
2018-4-17
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

I fly with the Landing extensions on all the time. Don't believe they would cause an interference problem since they are not a metallic item.  
FlyDk, thanks for the tip on holding on to the leg extension.  I  lost one and had to buy a new set.

The receiver antenna(s) are basically a coax cable with an inner conductor (wire) within a plastic shield wrapped with a foil signal blocker. The end of the antenna is stripped of the outer plastic and foil shield back approximately 27-35mm exposing the inner plastic & wire, this is the portion of the antenna that receives the signal from the RC. I replace them all the time on my race quads. The signal passes right through the non-conductive plastic (IE: Mavic / Phantom Legs ) Leg extensions will not affect the signal from the RC to the AC. I have read more about the extensions affecting the Downward VPS.

2018-4-17
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-17 12:16
it does not interfere with signal at all suren

Thanks, At least the purchase would not go in vain
2018-4-17
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-17 12:44
To me it definitely made a positive impact on my ability to see the rear light better with the modification which was especially beneficial during night flights.

What is that you used the
2018-4-17
Use props
daisy-girl
lvl.2

QuadKid Posted at 2018-4-17 13:16
The receiver antenna(s) are basically a coax cable with an inner conductor (wire) within a plastic shield wrapped with a foil signal blocker. The end of the antenna is stripped of the outer plastic and foil shield back approximately 27-35mm exposing the inner plastic & wire, this is the portion of the antenna that receives the signal from the RC. I replace them all the time on my race quads. The signal passes right through the non-conductive plastic (IE: Mavic / Phantom Legs ) Leg extensions will not affect the signal from the RC to the AC. I have read more about the extensions affecting the Downward VPS.

[view_image]

After noting earlier today how close to the ground my camera lens would be without the extension, I knew I would never fly without them.

Thanks for the reassuring post.
2018-4-17
Use props
eried
lvl.4
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Denmark

How much shorter is the flying time with the legs? 1 minute shorter? (I use a landing pad instead)
2018-4-18
Use props
daisy-girl
lvl.2

eried Posted at 2018-4-18 00:11
How much shorter is the flying time with the legs? 1 minute shorter? (I use a landing pad instead)

I also use a landing pad, but when I observed how close the lens is at -90, I knew I would never fly without the extensions.
2018-4-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

eried Posted at 2018-4-18 00:11

I do same when I can't takeoff / land from large concrete area on my property.

I still put on leg extensions in case I would have to make an emergency landing in field, hoping it will reduce chance of ''stuff'' other than grass hitting camera.
2018-4-18
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

well thanks for that info,  had me wondering there for a while
2018-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules