Flying around birds
4195 33 2015-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
roy
lvl.2

United States

Has anyone had an accident flying around birds?

I was flying the other day when suddently a flock of birds started lingering in my airspace. I flew for a little while but I had a couple close calls and brought MY bird home.

Is this something to worry about? Are birds smart enough not to collide drones or was it smart to bring her down? I wanted to keep flying in that spot but I was afraid it wouldn't end well.
2015-5-8
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

There have been many reports of Phantoms being attacked by birds...The Inspire however is much larger, louder, and overall looks like a predator, so I don't think it should be a problem. I have had hawks circle my Inspire but never have they attacked. I also think the ultra-sonic waves coming from the sensor might also have some affect on them but don't quote me on that
2015-5-8
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

If birds collide with Phantoms then they'll collide with Inspires. Perhaps not as frequently but it seems like something that's bound to happen.

The Inspire might look more like a predator to people but I don't think it looks more predator-like to a bird.
2015-5-8
Use props
gixxertaylor
lvl.1

United States

Some birds are very territorial. This happened to me also. Either bring it home or out run them, easy fix.
2015-5-8
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Roy, all due respect mate but I think that your contention that they were lingering in your airspace isn't a great way to look at the situation.
Birds will fly where they will - you can't expect them to stay clear from your UAV.

Heaps of encounters here in Aus of large Raptors taking out UAV, especially the small fixed wing craft like ebees that are used for survey work.  

Apart from the occasional swoop from a magpie, I've been quite lucky so far!
2015-5-8
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56184 ft
Canada

I was flying at approximately 50 meters and an Eagle dropped down from above me, in full dive, I had to avoid him right to the ground, flying to avoid his attacks, I went between two rows of raspberry's (I live on a raspberry farm) and he gave up and flew off. he was a little upset with me flying in his territory.
2015-5-8
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

Yea, I've had a close call last week with a flock of birds, and just hoped for the best as they made their way across the sky.  Problem I had was that I found it hard at that altitude to tell if we were on a coalition course, or if they where either a bit lower or higher than me at the time.  I think it can get very dangerous and difficult.

...one thing is sure...it's a matter of time folks, it's bound to happen to a few of us at some point!
2015-5-8
Use props
rsghowellnj
Second Officer
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly mostly in rural settings.  I have had hawks fly into the area because they were curious.  I think if I hovered long enough they may have gotten close.  Other then that they were inquisitive for sure.  With Wildlife there are no guarantees.
2015-5-9
Use props
thegreathahar
lvl.2

Australia

I had an encounter with what looked like an eagle circling the drone for a couple of times at around 100m altitude above a river, I'd say just it was just inspecting and then took off. Also, at around 15m from the ground while descending at a park, a bee swarm encircled the drone, few bees got hacked by propellers but they dispersed by the time I got close to landing.
2015-5-9
Use props
trowland32304
lvl.2
United States

Birds will attack to defend their turf of to defend young.  I got this vid of a Redshouldered hawk eating a Carolina Wren it had killed that was attacked by a much smaller blue jay

2015-5-9
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I was flying in clear airspace at the coast, when all of sudden Seagull's started to arrive. The Inspire was like a magnet to them, as soon as I landed, they would disappear. When I when back up they would re-appear and start circling the Inspire. T hey were clearly unhappy with it in their territory
2015-5-9
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I was shooting windmills and noticed that a flock of seagulls that were on the ground took off and flew away from the Inspire when It got close to them. They then landed again. Ahah I thought, and formulated a plan......... fly slowly towards them and when they take off, follow them for some close up footage. It worked at first but then the birds had other ideas!!!......... nearly a mess but I got away with it. Stupid plan! lol.

2015-5-10
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-5-9 12:02
Roy, all due respect mate but I think that your contention that they were lingering in your airspace ...

Hahaha!

Yes, I know it's not really MY airspace. I meant the airspace I was "borrowing" at the time.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences. Now I know to back off whenever birds get too close for comfort.
2015-5-10
Use props
Don VIGNA
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1720282 ft
  • >>>
Gabon

2015-5-10
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

It can happen , big quad copter or small a flock of gulls heading out off a beach etc etc etc. trust me..
Sure there are some close call bird quad videos on u tube.
2015-5-10
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

Don VIGNA Posted at 2015-5-11 04:43
See My Eagle in Gabon Africa

You have balls playing chicken with an eagle!
2015-5-10
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

Fred D Posted at 2015-5-9 12:32
I was flying at approximately 50 meters and an Eagle dropped down from above me, in full dive, I had ...

lol, probably thought you were a predator hunting his area.  Ive never had an issue yet personally but i did see a hawk eating a pigeon today, however the inspire is bigger than a hawk and there arnt many eagles in my area fortunately.
2015-5-10
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

Dave E Posted at 2015-5-10 19:03
I was shooting windmills and noticed that a flock of seagulls that were on the ground took off and f ...

That is such a gorgeous shot!
2015-5-11
Use props
peter.psilver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Dave E Posted at 2015-5-10 19:03
I was shooting windmills and noticed that a flock of seagulls that were on the ground took off and f ...

A super shot!
2015-5-11
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Canada

I was on the return trip back to the farm after an early morning flight and a small flock of geese flew a circle around my Inspire 1. I am amazed that I was able to get the camera on them and stay on them.
Here is a short clip of it all.

https://forum.dji.com/vimeo.com/127676098
2015-5-12
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

Fred D Posted at 2015-5-13 14:20
I was on the return trip back to the farm after an early morning flight and a small flock of geese f ...

link is broken
2015-5-13
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Canada

I'll try to fix it

2015-5-13
Use props
clkilljoy1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

Don VIGNA Posted at 2015-5-11 04:43
See My Eagle in Gabon Africa

The Eagle flying around you has to be one of the coolest videos I have ever watched from a quad.
2015-5-19
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

You should have seen the other bird! LOL.

bird strike

bird strike
2015-5-19
Use props
Don VIGNA
lvl.1
  • >>>
France

roy@netraction. Posted at 2015-5-11 12:27
You have balls playing chicken with an eagle!

Yes certainly chance, for this eagle it already accustomed with my drones Phantom 2, it is not the 1st time that the Eagle has been contact with a drone since two years now, I think that it starts to be accustomed... CV
2015-5-26
Use props
Don VIGNA
lvl.1
  • >>>
France

clkilljoy1@nets Posted at 2015-5-19 23:06
The Eagle flying around you has to be one of the coolest videos I have ever watched from a quad.

Thank You, I think that the Eagle is accustomed, since two years that it meets drones in this place… Best Rgds CV
2015-5-26
Use props
Don VIGNA
lvl.1
  • >>>
France

CrabHawk Posted at 2015-5-20 00:15
You should have seen the other bird! LOL.

Ah, yes indeed, my African Eagles remain away from the Drone, and what bird it is imprudently too approximate of your drone !  
Rgds,CV.
2015-5-26
Use props
Don VIGNA
lvl.1
  • >>>
France

Last week I was in south of Portugal and I was posed quickly because a gull came on several occasions while attacking my Phantom 2, I preferred to stop the drone to risk of wounded the gull and to break my drone…

CV

2015-05-17 attaque du drone mouette.jpg
2015-5-26
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

i keep wanting to fly it through a gang of seagulls sitting on the beach, but know that would be very dumb.  no need to chase trouble.
2015-5-27
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Don VIGNA Posted at 2015-5-27 14:37
Ah, yes indeed, my African Eagles remain away from the Drone, and what bird it is imprudently too  ...

Flock of Seagulls...And I ran, I ran so far away.....
2015-5-28
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-5-28 07:59
i keep wanting to fly it through a gang of seagulls sitting on the beach, but know that would be ver ...

I often fly at the beach %85 of the time and Seagulls are very curious creatures they fly near and examine the Inspire of course they do not get too close.  
2015-5-28
Use props
FictitiousPerso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303356 ft
Italy

Anti bird accessories:

image.jpg
2015-6-1
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Now that is classic!
2015-6-1
Use props
will
lvl.2

United States

I was flying along, thinking *I* was the top of the food chain, when I looked up and THIS guy was heading right for me!  Be careful, people!

2015-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules