Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Losing signal after 300m, in clear open landscape
4502 34 2018-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
krishraj
lvl.1
India

Hi,

I recently bought Mavic Air, and I have been trying to shoot some landscapes in open area without any tall structures or any WiiFii interence,.. But I have have been losing the video and even the signal inbetween 300-400m,.. where as the DJI mentions the Mavic air is capable of going upto 2.4miles.
I have updated all the latest firmware.
I have a memory card that supports Extreme 4K recording, with 100mbps recording speeds.

Is there anything that I have to do to achieve full range,.??

Is it a defect in my particular drone, Or is there an Issue with the Mavic Air in General,..??

Can anyone shed some light on it please,.. As I have purchased Air for its range and technology packed in such a small size,.. Yet Im not getting to use it to its full potential,..

Kindly suggest.

thank you
2018-4-19
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

On which frequency were you flying, 2.4 or 5.8 Ghz? And what is the transmission standard in India, CE or FCC?
2018-4-19
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

And what phone/device are you using! Have you put it on airplane mode and tuned off  bluetooth!
2018-4-19
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Please try to remove the cable that is connected to the side port and then use the usb cable that came with your cell phone, connect that up to the bottom usb port of the RC and do a test flight and see if there are any changes.
2018-4-19
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Make sure your antennas are in the right position and always facing the MA.
If all else fails you could try  Signal Extend Antenna Range Booster For DJI MavicAir.
2018-4-19
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i have also been getting disconnects since the last app update. if you are doing all the things mentioned in the first few replies to this post - then my guess is that it is app or incorrect device related. if correct and if it is not your phone and if it is not the few things mentioned in replies on this thread then i suggest that waiting for the next app update is your best bet.
2018-4-19
Use props
krishraj
lvl.1
India

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-4-19 08:37
On which frequency were you flying, 2.4 or 5.8 Ghz? And what is the transmission standard in India, CE or FCC?

I was flying it in 2.4ghz, as I learned that 2.4ghz is for long range flight, and 5.8ghz is mostly for crowded wiifii zones,..  
Correct me if i am wrong,..

And I have no idea about CE or FCC thing,..  Will have to check,..  Also let me know what settings do i have to change depending on the CE or FCC
2018-4-19
Use props
krishraj
lvl.1
India

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-19 08:43
And what phone/device are you using! Have you put it on airplane mode and tuned off  bluetooth!

I am using MI Note 4,. Bluetooth was OFF all the time when i was using the drone,.. But I was not in Airplane mode,...

do i have to put it in airplane mode while flying the drone,..??
2018-4-19
Use props
krishraj
lvl.1
India

Suren Posted at 2018-4-19 08:54
Please try to remove the cable that is connected to the side port and then use the usb cable that came with your cell phone, connect that up to the bottom usb port of the RC and do a test flight and see if there are any changes.

Ok,.. will give a try,..
2018-4-19
Use props
krishraj
lvl.1
India

B1houdini Posted at 2018-4-19 13:13
Make sure your antennas are in the right position and always facing the MA.
If all else fails you could try  Signal Extend Antenna Range Booster For DJI MavicAir.

Yes, I have always aligned the antennas in the right way (up and 45degrees to drone),.. and faced them in the direction of the drone...
Worst part is, I tried to fly the drone Up (vertical) above me, I also tried to face the remote and antennas up facing the camera,.. Yet with absolutely zero visual or wiifii interference, I was losing signal after 300m.
It was soo annoying that I could not capture the whole site, that I wanted to ,..
2018-4-19
Use props
krishraj
lvl.1
India

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-19 13:31
i have also been getting disconnects since the last app update. if you are doing all the things mentioned in the first few replies to this post - then my guess is that it is app or incorrect device related. if correct and if it is not your phone and if it is not the few things mentioned in replies on this thread then i suggest that waiting for the next app update is your best bet.

yeah,.. Majorly,. I have followed most of the things mentioned above,
Exept
1 - I have been using the connecting cable on the side,. didnt test with the phone cable with the USB port at the bottom of the RC,  But I strongly feel the cable on the side should work better that the USB port,..
2 - I didnt put it in airplane mode while flying the Air,.. Im not sure how important is that,.. as i haven't see anyone doing that in the tutorial videos,.

I would have been very happy if the drone could fly atleast for 1mile,.. which is more than enough for me,.. but 300m,.. has been very disappointing,.. its not even serving the minimum purpose for what i bought it for,.. where as DJI mentions it as 2.4 miles range,..
2018-4-19
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

krishraj Posted at 2018-4-19 18:31
Exept
1 - I have been using the connecting cable on the side,. didnt test with the phone cable with the USB port at the bottom of the RC,  But I strongly feel the cable on the side should work better that the USB port,..

1. the cable that comes standard from dji is not of very good quality and tends to get internal damage within the sleaving causing breaks and could be a possible cause for disconnection- the reason I mentioned this to you is because i suffered a similar fate with my Pro.
2. Put the phone in Airplane is very important has the Bluetooth, wifi on sms, network usage greatly affects the drone and could cause interference hence it is much safer to put to put it in  plane mode.
2018-4-19
Use props
krishraj
lvl.1
India

Suren Posted at 2018-4-19 19:28
1. the cable that comes standard from dji is not of very good quality and tends to get internal damage within the sleaving causing breaks and could be a possible cause for disconnection- the reason I mentioned this to you is because i suffered a similar fate with my Pro.
2. Put the phone in Airplane is very important has the Bluetooth, wifi on sms, network usage greatly affects the drone and could cause interference hence it is much safer to put to put it in  plane mode.

Ok will give a try,.. and get back on this,..
Hopefully it resolves,..
I have see too many queries regarding the same low range issue on Mavic Air,.. so was worried,..
2018-4-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. In order to do the troubleshooting, could you please change another outdoor open area where the GPS is good and no magnetic interference to try it again? And for the mobile device, it is recommended to try the one on the compatible mobile device list of the Mavic air. If there is any further issue, please feel free to let us know, we'll here for help. Thanks!
2018-4-19
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

krishraj Posted at 2018-4-19 18:31
Exept
1 - I have been using the connecting cable on the side,. didnt test with the phone cable with the USB port at the bottom of the RC,  But I strongly feel the cable on the side should work better that the USB port,..

Using the cable on the side could be your problem.
Pro and Air has some differences but i think the cable should be plugged in to the bottom usb on the RC.

Putting in airplane mode is more important when flying around high interference areas - in the beginning for about 6 months or more i NEVER put in airplane mode and never had issues then.
Now as a habbit i always put it in airplane mode.
2018-4-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

krishraj Posted at 2018-4-19 18:14
I was flying it in 2.4ghz, as I learned that 2.4ghz is for long range flight, and 5.8ghz is mostly for crowded wiifii zones,..  
Correct me if i am wrong,..

As far as I know, India is CE mode.
You can't change that.
2018-4-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

krishraj Posted at 2018-4-19 18:16
I am using MI Note 4,. Bluetooth was OFF all the time when i was using the drone,.. But I was not in Airplane mode,...

do i have to put it in airplane mode while flying the drone,..??

Airplane mode is good indeed, but not needed for better range. No Bluetooth might help indeed.

I think CE + 300 - 400m is reasonable by the way.
Far from what they advertise, but it is ok.
Did you lower the drone antenna's (in the front legs)
2018-4-20
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-4-19 20:29
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. In order to do the troubleshooting, could you please change another outdoor open area where the GPS is good and no magnetic interference to try it again? And for the mobile device, it is recommended to try the one on the compatible mobile device list of the Mavic air. If there is any further issue, please feel free to let us know, we'll here for help. Thanks!

Hi DJI Diana, Could you please verify that switching the mobile device to aeroplane mode is necessary and recommended? I just don't recall seeing anything official from DJI regarding aeroplane mode. Thank you.
2018-4-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Monkey007 Posted at 2018-4-20 02:07
Hi DJI Diana, Could you please verify that switching the mobile device to aeroplane mode is necessary and recommended? I just don't recall seeing anything official from DJI regarding aeroplane mode. Thank you.

Hi, switching the mobile device to airplane mode is recommended, you can focus on flying the drone and reduce the interference, maybe from a call or messages. Personally, you can choose to switch the mobile device to airplane mode when flying your drone. Thanks!
2018-4-20
Use props
djiuser_iTYmGJ1Ipw3c
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-4-20 03:22
Hi, switching the mobile device to airplane mode is recommended, you can focus on flying the drone and reduce the interference, maybe from a call or messages. Personally, you can choose to switch the mobile device to airplane mode when flying your drone. Thanks!

What about GPS? can you still see the map of the area without pre-loading it?
2018-4-20
Use props
krishraj
lvl.1
India

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. In order to do the troubleshooting, could you please change another outdoor open area where the GPS is good and no magnetic interference to try it again? And for the mobile device, it is recommended to try the one on the compatible mobile device list of the Mavic air. If there is any further issue, please feel free to let us know, we'll here for help. Thanks!

thank you for your reply,..
all the locations that i tried had good GPS signal,..
I didn't knew there is a compatible mobile device list for Mavic air,.. how ever the device that I'm using has a 6GB ram,.. is thats what matters most,..
I will check the compatibility and get back on this,. thanks for the support.
2018-4-20
Use props
krishraj
lvl.1
India

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-4-20 00:22
Airplane mode is good indeed, but not needed for better range. No Bluetooth might help indeed.

I think CE + 300 - 400m is reasonable by the way.

I didn't get what you ment by this  -  "I think CE + 300 - 400m is reasonable by the way" -
U mean if its in india 300-400meters is that max that one can fly mavic air because its CE,..???

Yes Air antennas were pulled down all the time,..
2018-4-20
Use props
krishraj
lvl.1
India

Can you give a link where i can see the compatible devices pls,.. I couldn't find them on the official site,..
thank you
2018-4-20
Use props
PilotC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1321214 ft
Australia

krishraj Posted at 2018-4-20 21:11
I didn't get what you ment by this  -  "I think CE + 300 - 400m is reasonable by the way" -
U mean if its in india 300-400meters is that max that one can fly mavic air because its CE,..???

The CE and FCC all relates to the max transmission power that is allowed for Wifi (and other things). For example in Australia the transmission power is less than that allowed in the USA. There is also changes to the channel frequencies. Hence less transmission power provides less distance.
2018-4-20
Use props
krishraj
lvl.1
India

PilotC Posted at 2018-4-20 21:21
The CE and FCC all relates to the max transmission power that is allowed for Wifi (and other things). For example in Australia the transmission power is less than that allowed in the USA. There is also changes to the channel frequencies. Hence less transmission power provides less distance.

where can i check or the Key terminology to search on google about the current setting for India,..?
2018-4-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

U mean if its in india 300-400meters is that max that one can fly mavic air because its CE,..???

Yes, in CE mode 300-400m is reasonable I would say.
2018-4-21
Use props
notjames
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41296 ft
Switzerland

by antennas down !! do you mean at 90° to the controller ? which is correct . or do you mean in line with the phone / tablet which is wrong

by the way just look at the channels available to you on the app .. if you see above 11 you are in CE  mode
2018-4-22
Use props
krishraj
lvl.1
India

notjames Posted at 2018-4-22 06:53
by antennas down !! do you mean at 90° to the controller ? which is correct . or do you mean in line with the phone / tablet which is wrong

by the way just look at the channels available to you on the app .. if you see above 11 you are in CE  mode

I ment antennas down for the Drone,.. not the remote,.. Hard to explain but, Im doing the Remote antennas right only, as i saw some Official DJI videos about how to use the remote,..

I will look into the channels thing that you mentioned,..
2018-4-22
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

I believe you'll find the solution with this post: https://forum.dji.com/thread-144968-1-1.html
2018-4-22
Use props
krishraj
lvl.1
India

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-4-21 23:46
Yes, in CE mode 300-400m is reasonable I would say.

So basically, Who ever is using DJI product or any other Drones in INDIA, can't fly it more than 300-400m,.. ????
Is it only with Air or all the drones like the pro and inspire as well,..,..??
that came as a surprise to me,.. (

Is there any one in this Forum from india using Mavic Air,.. Can anyone confirm on this please,..?
2018-4-22
Use props
krishraj
lvl.1
India

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-4-22 08:49
I believe you'll find the solution with this post: https://forum.dji.com/thread-144968-1-1.html

Thanks for the link,.. Will try this in the next flight,.
2018-4-22
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

krishraj Posted at 2018-4-22 08:52
Thanks for the link,.. Will try this in the next flight,.

You have to do the switch before the next flight.
2018-4-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

krishraj Posted at 2018-4-22 08:49
So basically, Who ever is using DJI product or any other Drones in INDIA, can't fly it more than 300-400m,.. ????
Is it only with Air or all the drones like the pro and inspire as well,..,..??
that came as a surprise to me,.. (

For me it is enough as I need to maintain visual line of sight.
But I guess there are ways to improve on that (see the link that was shared by Wachtberger)
2018-4-22
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

krishraj Posted at 2018-4-20 21:20
Can you give a link where i can see the compatible devices pls,.. I couldn't find them on the official site,..
thank you

Hi, you can check the compatible mobile device list of the Mavic air from the website: https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads, thanks!

2018-4-22
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

djiuser_iTYmGJ1Ipw3c Posted at 2018-4-20 08:28
What about GPS? can you still see the map of the area without pre-loading it?

Hi, you can cache the maps on your device before the flight:
Connect your device to the Internet, open DJI GO4, go to the flying location on the map, zoom into the desired zoom level, scroll around on the map to load the map images in all areas where you want to fly.
Hope this can help, thanks!
2018-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules