[Tutorial] Using Scratch Programming with the Tello
Home / TELLO /
20336 14 2018-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Barney2k
lvl.4

Hi Everyone

Just come across this amazing guide to using the Scratch programming language with the Tello:

Worked great for me on Windows 10!

2018-4-20
Use props
Drone-Mike
lvl.4

United Kingdom

That's really cool! The more I see about the Tello the more I want one! May have to take the plunge!
2018-4-20
Use props
GasMaskXL
New

United States

This is pretty cool. Is this the only drone out there you can program???
2018-4-22
Use props
Claw_Gaming
lvl.3
Flight distance : 330659 ft
  • >>>
United States

GasMaskXL Posted at 2018-4-22 13:07
This is pretty cool. Is this the only drone out there you can program???

At this price point and at this learning level. This drone is probably the easiest to start off with. Of course you can then type your own java script and do it that way if you do not like the drag and drop of MIT scratch.
2018-4-23
Use props
Barney2k
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I agree with @Claw_Gaming.

I'm not aware of any other drones that do this tbh - although maybe they do exist.

But with the tech in the Tello (specifically the DJI and Intel stuff) you'd be hard pressed to find a better option at the price point...

They're in stock now in various places in the UK now, so quite easy to get hold of for us Brits!
2018-4-24
Use props
danysp
lvl.1

Spain

Barney2k Posted at 2018-4-24 01:49

I'm not aware of any other drones that do this tbh - although maybe they do exist.

Hi there,

the posibility to program drones with java script and scratch arrived more than one years ago with Parrot. I bought the Rolling Spider model and I could have a lot of fun momments programing it. It is a pity that they did not continue improving their models as we can see on Tello. Ryze use a very similar desing applied by Parrot develop a long time ago.
and the battery:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/ima ... battery_1073349.jpg
2018-4-29
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the link. Looks very cool. Now stop me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you connect your laptop wifi directly to you Tello and fly it with the keyboard. If you had a USB wifi antenna on your laptop could this extend the range of your Tello (as opposed to the internal wifi of your phone)?
2018-4-30
Use props
ades
lvl.2

Singapore

Bing Err Posted at 2018-4-30 00:31
Thanks for the link. Looks very cool. Now stop me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you connect your laptop wifi directly to you Tello and fly it with the keyboard. If you had a USB wifi antenna on your laptop could this extend the range of your Tello (as opposed to the internal wifi of your phone)?

FYI bro..
https://forum.dji.com/thread-143545-1-1.html
2018-5-4
Use props
Sean Doughtie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36598 ft
United States

This is really amazing! Has anyone found a way to record video or photos from the drone using scratch?
2018-5-20
Use props
ggeorgis
lvl.4
Greece

I had high hopes about teaching STEM classes with the Tello drone. But the Scratch programming is obviously an afterthought.
EVERY COMMAND should be padded with delays!!!! So in essence a simple 5 line code becomes burdensome for kids. There is no repeatability in the code. So if you plan a simple mission (eg. take off from one desk to fly around an object and return to the same desk and land or land in another desk), you cannot fine tune your code since every time it will fly a different path. Unless you plan on teaching in a warehouse to have ample space, class teaching is a no no.
For example having the drone fly a hexagon will end up in disaster. It manages to mess up even squares!!! Since a 90 degree turn can be anything between 70-110 degrees.
You want to teach Scratch like programming, get a Sphero.

2018-5-22
Use props
Sean Doughtie
lvl.2
United States

ggeorgis Posted at 2018-5-22 03:41
I had high hopes about teaching STEM classes with the Tello drone. But the Scratch programming is obviously an afterthought.
EVERY COMMAND should be padded with delays!!!! So in essence a simple 5 line code becomes burdensome for kids. There is no repeatability in the code. So if you plan a simple mission (eg. take off from one desk to fly around an object and return to the same desk and land or land in another desk), you cannot fine tune your code since every time it will fly a different path. Unless you plan on teaching in a warehouse to have ample space, class teaching is a no no.
For example having the drone fly a hexagon will end up in disaster. It manages to mess up even squares!!! Since a 90 degree turn can be anything between 70-110 degrees.

Thanks for posting your experience. I wonder how the done is able to fly 360's and orbits. Is this routine done on the drone or in the control device?

I'm just guessing, is Scratch just using timing to perform actions rather than telemetry? There has to be some telemetry because it is displayed on the Tello App.
I wonder if you can get a terminal connection with the Tello? (ie: Telnet, SSH or TTY)

2018-5-22
Use props
Sean Doughtie
lvl.2
United States

This looks interesting:

https://gobot.io/blog/2018/04/20/hello-tello-hacking-drones-with-go/

2018-5-22
Use props
ggeorgis
lvl.4
Greece

Sean Doughtie Posted at 2018-5-22 04:51
Thanks for posting your experience. I wonder how the done is able to fly 360's and orbits. Is this routine done on the drone or in the control device?

I'm just guessing, is Scratch just using timing to perform actions rather than telemetry? There has to be some telemetry because it is displayed on the Tello App.

Scratch only uploads commands to the drone. There is no downlink from the drone at all, hence no access to the camera or sensors/gyro. This is the reason I said that Scratch programming was an afterthought. The tinkering community has picked up the slack but obviously it will take some time to develop kid friedly applications if at all.
Compared to a STEM oriented toy like Sphero, which ws designed from the ground up as a STEM programmable toy, the Tello is seriously lacking.
^^That^^ and the video glitches was the reason I sent mine back. Maybe the Tello 2 will be what the original Tello should have been.
2018-5-22
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

thanks that help a lot but I have crashed my drone while flying it using drone block read more in my post thx!
2018-6-6
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Barney2k Posted at 2018-4-24 01:49

apparently there is an App called DroneBlocks (Both iOS, Android and Google Apps) that works with Tello and also with Phantom 3 and Phantom 4 families, Inspire and others DJI drones...
2018-6-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules