2928 45 2018-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SisuBrothers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95367 ft
Finland

Hi everybody!

Got the Mavic Air for about 2 weeks now. Today I actually had a click and wanted or still want to send it back to the seller, but I do have until Monday to figure things out. The thing is that I don't want to regret sending it back but in the same time here are the things that kind of limit my enthusiasm.

Weak signal, sometimes even outside the city and loosing the signal kind of gets me anxious because I can't figure it out why it does this so frequently.

Moreover, since day one I tried updating the firmware of the batteries but it just doesn't work. I managed to do it once for one battery and the next day when I inserted it into the drone, I had to do it again, which sort of took me back one step backward and not none of my batteries are ugraded for firmware because I simple can't.

In adition, there seems to be an issue with the panorama stiching, which kind of bothers me the most. Of course I can understand that the drone is up in the air and weather condition, wind and so on...but still, the issue is not small.

Lastly, of course I do like the drone, especially that it is my first but I need some words of confort, maybe I can figure things out until Monday.

So, I am really looking forward to your comments.

Enjoy your weekend
DJI_0217-small.jpg
2018-4-20
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Honestly the Air is a good drone and you would probably regret sending it back. There must be some sort of interference causing the range issues or you do not have the antennae's at a 45 degree angle. How are you trying to do the update, I suggest use a pc or mac and do it via dji assistant 2 which is a more stable option
2018-4-20
Use props
fritzturner
New
United States

Just wanted to weigh in on this and see if others can relate. I am having many of the issues as the people above me. Mavic Air controlled with RC and a supposedly compatible Samsung Tablet. First flight I went only about 200 feet and connection was strong. Next flight I couldn't even get off the ground without disconnecting. It would automatically lose video feed and connection with the drone and try to RTH. As soon as it lands it says Ready To Go once more, the statuses of everything were normal, battery 80%, all updates applied, compass recalibrated, I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING. Why doesn't this drone just work? All of the extra features mean nothing when DJI can't even seem to get the little stuff right. I knew the Mavic Air was too good to be true. It's basically a prototype that they released to the public without fleshing out their software/hardware.
2018-4-20
Use props
SisuBrothers
lvl.2
Finland

Suren Posted at 2018-4-20 11:06
Honestly the Air is a good drone and you would probably regret sending it back. There must be some sort of interference causing the range issues or you do not have the antennae's at a 45 degree angle. How are you trying to do the update, I suggest use a pc or mac and do it via dji assistant 2 which is a more stable option

In a way I will certainly regret sending it back but I need to figure it out...
How should I do the update on the pc, just connect the drone to the software on the PC?
2018-4-20
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

It may not help, but here is my $.02.
I have had my Mavic Air for 1 week now.  I've taken about 15 flights, and each of them have been excellent.  In my first flight, i took it up around 175 feet and about 1/4 mile away from me.  second and third flights were between 300 and 400 feet and 1/2 mile distance.  I've run into a few signal interference sections, but for the most part it has been rock solid.  I am using an old Samsung Note 4 Edge with the RC controller.  i spent about 45 minutes updating firmware the first night, and yes, it seemed like it took forever, but i haven't had any problems since then.  I do have to calibrate the compass before each flight, but that doesn't bother me.  

Hopefully as Suren said, connecting to the PC will help you complete the firmware update.  

once all of the firmware is in sync, your flights should be more enjoyable.

BUT, if it is not, then you will not regret sending it back.  Think of it like this:  Others may enjoy it, but if it doesn't work for you, it's wasted money.   My personal opinion is that it is a fabulous drone.  but in this instance, it's how you feel about it that counts.
2018-4-20
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

SisuBrothers Posted at 2018-4-20 11:10
In a way I will certainly regret sending it back but I need to figure it out...
How should I do the update on the pc, just connect the drone to the software on the PC?

Download Dji Assistant 2 from the dji website, once loaded just connect your usb cable to the drone and the Pc while running the programme, it will see your drone, select it and it will show you the new firmware for the Air, update and wait for it to complete. once completed switch off and wait for it to cool down then power on and do a imu calibrate. this should fix any issues or bugs that you may have, ensure you have a fully charged battery before you start the update.
2018-4-20
Use props
SisuBrothers
lvl.2
Finland

3-D Posted at 2018-4-20 11:37
It may not help, but here is my $.02.
I have had my Mavic Air for 1 week now.  I've taken about 15 flights, and each of them have been excellent.  In my first flight, i took it up around 175 feet and about 1/4 mile away from me.  second and third flights were between 300 and 400 feet and 1/2 mile distance.  I've run into a few signal interference sections, but for the most part it has been rock solid.  I am using an old Samsung Note 4 Edge with the RC controller.  i spent about 45 minutes updating firmware the first night, and yes, it seemed like it took forever, but i haven't had any problems since then.  I do have to calibrate the compass before each flight, but that doesn't bother me.  

Thanks man, it's good to read posts like this, especially when I have to take a decision in the next coming days
By the way, do I need to upgrade the firmware of each battery using the PC? I did it for one, probably I will have to do it also for the rest of 2.
2018-4-20
Use props
SisuBrothers
lvl.2
Finland

Suren Posted at 2018-4-20 11:48
Download Dji Assistant 2 from the dji website, once loaded just connect your usb cable to the drone and the Pc while running the programme, it will see your drone, select it and it will show you the new firmware for the Air, update and wait for it to complete. once completed switch off and wait for it to cool down then power on and do a imu calibrate. this should fix any issues or bugs that you may have, ensure you have a fully charged battery before you start the update.

I think I got it, downloading the latest. After updating should I press refresh or just leave it as it is?
What does the new upgrade include?
2018-4-20
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

SisuBrothers Posted at 2018-4-20 11:50
Thanks man, it's good to read posts like this, especially when I have to take a decision in the next coming days
By the way, do I need to upgrade the firmware of each battery using the PC? I did it for one, probably I will have to do it also for the rest of 2.

i would test each of them just to be sure.  that way you don't run into problems when you switch them
2018-4-20
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

SisuBrothers Posted at 2018-4-20 11:54
I think I got it, downloading the latest. After updating should I press refresh or just leave it as it is?
What does the new upgrade include?

If you are on the latest firmware it will show you Current next to the firmware but if not it will show you upgrade next to the latest firmware. If you are on latest then just refresh the firmware. I believe the new upgrade fixes a lot of issues users were experiencing with the Air right out of the box
2018-4-20
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

I have to agree here, I also had problems with updating the firmware the first day. Tried to do it with the DJI Go 4 app, but it just froze and nothing happened for like 20 minutes or even longer. When I connected it via the Assistant app on my PC, it worked well and went smooth.

It's hard to tell what's causing the interference but remember to point the flat part of the antennas towards your aircraft for best range.

As for the panos, it's a bit of hit-or-miss honestly. I strongly advise you to check the option to save unstitched photos, then you can use any pano program on your PC to get better results than what comes from the Air itself.
2018-4-20
Use props
SisuBrothers
lvl.2
Finland

This is what I get after the update.
2018-4-20
Use props
SisuBrothers
lvl.2
Finland

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-4-20 12:21
I have to agree here, I also had problems with updating the firmware the first day. Tried to do it with the DJI Go 4 app, but it just froze and nothing happened for like 20 minutes or even longer. When I connected it via the Assistant app on my PC, it worked well and went smooth.

It's hard to tell what's causing the interference but remember to point the flat part of the antennas towards your aircraft for best range.

I am keeping the antennas at 45 so I guess it's OK.  Any good software for stitching panorama photos?
2018-4-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

No matter what drone you get, setting up and firmware updates are going to be part and parcel of owning and using a drone,
MavAir is pretty simple to set up and fly, what is it your looking fo ? You should also check out others using MavAir in Finland to see how they are getting on.
2018-4-20
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

SisuBrothers Posted at 2018-4-20 12:24
This is what I get after the update[view_image].

You are up to date which is good.  
2018-4-20
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

SisuBrothers Posted at 2018-4-20 12:26
I am keeping the antennas at 45 so I guess it's OK.  Any good software for stitching panorama photos?

PC or MAC?  For PC Microsoft ICE is awesome.  Can also use the DJI Go 4 app to stitch it as you take it.  Takes a while though so suggested to land while it stitches.
2018-4-20
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

SisuBrothers Posted at 2018-4-20 12:26

Also have a look here as I also was trying to figure out the stitching of Panorama's.  https://forum.dji.com/thread-143064-1-1.html

There is two awesome tutorials in the thread from some very knowledgeable members here.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-143152-1-1.html
2018-4-20
Use props
SisuBrothers
lvl.2
Finland

Got ICE also and apparently it does a very good job, I am impressed.

I have to take the drone out today so see if the upgrade of the firmware will make a difference.
2018-4-20
Use props
SisuBrothers
lvl.2
Finland

Took the drone out today. The automatic wifi connection was to 5.8 not 2.4 as I got used to, what might have changed it? Moreover, it failed to capture panoramas, giving me the error "the gimbal is stuck", first time for this.
2018-4-21
Use props
Datadogie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27028 ft

"the gimbal is stuck" I also had this. I just exited and did again and all was good. Why you need two goes I don't know. But I expect will be fixed next upgrade.
Incidentally, I did this hack and flew my Air 1000m today. Some have gone much further but I'm still very much a learner when it comes to drones.  
2018-4-21
Use props
SisuBrothers
lvl.2
Finland

Datadogie Posted at 2018-4-21 10:11
"the gimbal is stuck" I also had this. I just exited and did again and all was good. Why you need two goes I don't know. But I expect will be fixed next upgrade.
Incidentally, I did this hack and flew my Air 1000m today. Some have gone much further but I'm still very much a learner when it comes to drones.  
Video. 60 second hack. but video is 5 minutes.

If I remember right, the longest one that I've got was 2200 m in open space.

Hopefully somebody will explain what "gimbal stuck" means.
2018-4-21
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Poland

SisuBrothers Posted at 2018-4-21 09:44
Took the drone out today. The automatic wifi connection was to 5.8 not 2.4 as I got used to, what might have changed it? Moreover, it failed to capture panoramas, giving me the error "the gimbal is stuck", first time for this.

I pretty much get 5.8 than 2.4 more often, but I guess that's because 5.8 is usually less congested here hence it gets chosen automatically.
2018-4-21
Use props
SisuBrothers
lvl.2
Finland

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-4-21 10:28
I pretty much get 5.8 than 2.4 more often, but I guess that's because 5.8 is usually less congested here hence it gets chosen automatically.

OK, good to know.

Any idea about this black spot on the top of the image?
2018-4-21
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Poland

SisuBrothers Posted at 2018-4-21 10:58
OK, good to know.

Any idea about this black spot on the top of the image?[view_image]

Was it very windy or were you in sports mode?
2018-4-21
Use props
SisuBrothers
lvl.2
Finland

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-4-21 11:01
Was it very windy or were you in sports mode?

As far as I remember, I turned the sports mode off but in the same time it was windy.
2018-4-21
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Poland

SisuBrothers Posted at 2018-4-21 11:03
As far as I remember, I turned the sports mode off but in the same time it was windy.

Have you maybe turned on the "extended gimbal limit" in settings?
2018-4-21
Use props
SisuBrothers
lvl.2
Finland

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-4-21 13:07
Have you maybe turned on the "extended gimbal limit" in settings?

Yes, it was ON somehow...
2018-4-21
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Poland

SisuBrothers Posted at 2018-4-21 23:02
Yes, it was ON somehow...

There you have it, you're looking at your own bird ;)
2018-4-22
Use props
SisuBrothers
lvl.2
Finland

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-4-22 02:38
There you have it, you're looking at your own bird ;)

Yes, that is so true. Took the drone out today. Not lucky to get a great weather but still had to test it out, tomorrow I have to decide if I keep it or not, probably I will keep it...but there are still a few hours left )

Here is a shot from today ;)
2018-4-22
Use props
Mountaindrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>

good luck !
2018-4-22
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Poland

SisuBrothers Posted at 2018-4-22 06:56
Yes, that is so true. Took the drone out today. Not lucky to get a great weather but still had to test it out, tomorrow I have to decide if I keep it or not, probably I will keep it...but there are still a few hours left )

Here is a shot from today ;)[view_image]

Looks very nice!
2018-4-22
Use props
SisuBrothers
lvl.2
Finland

Thanks mate!

By the way, is this micro sd card good for 4k? Luckily I found it inside the GoPro so hopefully no need to get a new one.

2018-4-22
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Poland

SisuBrothers Posted at 2018-4-22 09:57
Thanks mate!

By the way, is this micro sd card good for 4k? Luckily I found it inside the GoPro so hopefully no need to get a new one.[view_image]

Yes, you should be fine with it. Have fun!
2018-4-22
Use props
SisuBrothers
lvl.2
Finland

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-4-22 10:33
Yes, you should be fine with it. Have fun!

It's from 2015 so hopefully it can manage with it Will test it soon.
2018-4-22
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Poland

SisuBrothers Posted at 2018-4-22 22:31
It's from 2015 so hopefully it can manage with it  Will test it soon.

The speed class is fine so you should not have any problems with it
2018-4-23
Use props
SisuBrothers
lvl.2
Finland

Yesterday I had a good fly. I would say that the perfect fly since I've purchased the drone. I was sort of outside of the city so I guess there was not so much interference out there. I managed to fly my first 1600 meters without any problems, which is great. Later on I returned a bit closer to the city and there I had some interference but I guess that spot is not the greatest for drones
Anyway, I have decided to keep the drone, not to return it and hopefully I won't regret it.

By the way guys, what are the recommended ND filters?
2018-4-23
Use props
jimfalt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 136598 ft

SisuBrothers Posted at 2018-4-23 23:51
Yesterday I had a good fly. I would say that the perfect fly since I've purchased the drone. I was sort of outside of the city so I guess there was not so much interference out there. I managed to fly my first 1600 meters without any problems, which is great. Later on I returned a bit closer to the city and there I had some interference but I guess that spot is not the greatest for drones
Anyway, I have decided to keep the drone, not to return it and hopefully I won't regret it.

Hello,
I use PolarPro Nd filters.
What do you want them for?
Thats a chart from the same company that will help you choose those you need.
2018-4-24
Use props
jimfalt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 136598 ft

2018-4-24
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Poland

SisuBrothers Posted at 2018-4-23 23:51
Yesterday I had a good fly. I would say that the perfect fly since I've purchased the drone. I was sort of outside of the city so I guess there was not so much interference out there. I managed to fly my first 1600 meters without any problems, which is great. Later on I returned a bit closer to the city and there I had some interference but I guess that spot is not the greatest for drones

Congratulations! ;) I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
2018-4-24
Use props
SisuBrothers
lvl.2
Finland

jimfalt, I was also thinking about the Polarpro nd filters but they come at a price so I don't really know if I want to get the 3 pack or the complete 6 pack. I am thinking about the filters because I use the drone more frequently in very sunny days and that is a problem without the filters.

Cheers GoldenSun.

By the way, how do I get the flight distance displayed?
2018-4-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules