PH3 New RECORD of distance!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAOOOOO 10KM
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nurzia
lvl.2

Estonia

Hi,I like to reply to all this guy that like to send the PH3 faraway. Just to break a "new record" of their stupidity. More faraway it's the PH and more problem you can get...
avoid to hit the other people for your pocket and to avoid to start other restriction area for your poor sense of awareness...

Thx a lot!

MN

2015-5-8
Use props
dobova
lvl.3
Flight distance : 664337 ft
Italy

I have a really easy way to test it .... I don't fly it .. I carry it ... with 4wd on the top of the mountain (with my son) and see how far can receive the signal on the RC...
All the valley is LOS with the mountain ... I will tell you if I can get at 10km  
ahahah

Red longer line is 10Km ... shorter is 3.6km ...
P3P Test.jpg
2015-5-9
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

Like a wireless router, you can extend the distance with compatible signal amplifiers or access points. There are a few options that I can think of... You can place signal boosters that are programmed to run on the same frequency every 1.5 kilometers to keep the signal alive. You can find a way to send the signal from the transmitter into a 2.4ghz router (or directly wire it in), reprogram a wireless device on the other side to send out the signals you are sending through the internet, and then you can control the Phantom anywhere in the world! ...or out of this world! They are able to send signals to the Mars Rover, so anything is possible!!!
2015-5-9
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Cacc Posted at 2015-5-9 21:18
Like a wireless router, you can extend the distance with compatible signal amplifiers or access poin ...

Love the way you think

It might be in breach with most regulations about "only flying line-of-sight".

But if we let us be restricted but rules and boundaries, we never innovate or evolve.

PS: I only fly LOS myself. Within reason.
2015-5-9
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

Eventually the battery will run down so there are some other practical limitations of just how far you can fly...
2015-5-9
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Sure it can go 10k but how did the battery stay alive?
2015-5-9
Use props
Mikey14
lvl.3

United States

I'm still trying to figure out what nurzia is trying to say? I don't understand one word he is trying to say.
2015-5-9
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

Michael M Posted at 2015-5-10 11:06
Sure it can go 10k but how did the battery stay alive?

That is where the fun keeps going. To keep the quad in the air longer you need more battery. Each one of the intelligent batteries weighs about 360g, so without the case let's say the battery itself weighs 300g. The quad can have a payload of at least it's own weight, so the 1.2kg quad can still hold an extra battery under each arm theoretically. A little nifty rewiring (and possibly reprogramming the main battery to recognize there is more mAh to use and you have increased the flight time.

Of course the added weight will slow it down and put more strain on the motors, so it might not increase the flight time as much as expected; this is where we get really creative (and wasteful). Instead of mounting the batteries under each arm, what if all four were mounted behind the camera. Program it to  run through the lowest battery first and move up in the series. Since a dead battery weighs the same as a full battery, to keep the flight going longer you can release the dead battery from the quad. (So you had 4 underneath, now you have 3 and save that 300g for the duration of the flight.) If you follow a steady flight path (and the batteries don't hit a hard surface and burst into flames), you can always retrace the steps to recover the batteries after.

There are always possibilities if you are willing to have some fun!
2015-5-9
Use props
Jim.young04
lvl.2

United States

Cacc Posted at 2015-5-9 21:18
Like a wireless router, you can extend the distance with compatible signal amplifiers or access poin ...

is this possible? i have a family members house exactly 1.2 miles away (hehe) router at their house and then be able to fly another 1.2 miles passed that?
2015-5-9
Use props
Phantastic
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Is it possible to change the home location in flight?  

If so you could take off from a spot 10km from a safe LZ, take off, move the home location to the LZ 10km away and see how far you get before losing signal.  The RTH would kick in to complete the journey, and a conveniently placed wag could pick up your P3 and drive it back to you.

In fact, if said wag had a spare controller she could slip in a new battery and fly it back to you.
2015-5-10
Use props
nurzia
lvl.2

Netherlands

Too many genius here... and all seems well understood my original post.
2015-5-10
Use props
Gary C
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1710938 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cacc Posted at 2015-5-10 11:26
That is where the fun keeps going. To keep the quad in the air longer you need more battery. Each  ...

Cacc,

Is it possible to record the flight on the P3 in Google Earth and review it later? I see where some people all over the country lay their flight path on top of a video that shows exactly where they were flying. Someone said to go to user in DJI Pilot but all I see are pics and an actual video or 2 that are already on my sd card. Very confused how they do it.
Thanks,
Gary C
2015-5-10
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Gary C Posted at 2015-5-11 07:24
Cacc,

Is it possible to record the flight on the P3 in Google Earth and review it later? I see wh ...

There's a menu option - don't remember exactly where it is - that lets you enter Flight Data Mode. Once you enter Flight Data Mode, connect the appropriate USB/microUSB cable between your PC and the front of your P3 (the microUSB port is under a rubberized tab below the logo in the front).

Every time you fire up your P3, a file gets created in there. If you actually get airborne and fly somewhere, the file gets bigger and bigger. You can download them to your PC. Unfortunately, they're in a format that's essentially readable by most of the programs on your PC. However.....

There's a web site that can convert these files to CSV files when you upload them. How you get them back from the site is beyond me! The web site was apparently developed for the P2Vision+ and the files can be loaded and used as waypoints for your craft (not the P3 - at least not yet)  to automatically fly a flight plan. Too complex for me. The Pilot Log data provided by the User Center is probably adequate for most of us.
2015-5-11
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Cacc Posted at 2015-5-10 11:26
That is where the fun keeps going. To keep the quad in the air longer you need more battery. Each  ...

So adding batteries does not actually add as much flight time as you might think due to the extra load on the motors.  Extra weight also reduces the efficiency of props and motors.  There is a point where it may actually reduce flight time and overheat the ESC and motors.  The engineers at DJI probably optimized the size & weight of the battery for maximum flight time vs performance...
Remove the camera...  It will fly a lot further without the extra electrical load, weight & drag.
2015-5-11
Use props
Phantastic
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I often see warnings that going out of range is very risky.  I'd like to understand the logic in the risk.  

* One day you could fly 3km and start to lose signal.  If you don't regain it, RTH will kick in and fly back towards your home location.  Control will resume at some point.

* Another day you could be flying around 400m away and lose signal due to interference or going behind a large object.  RTH will kick in and again you will regain control at some point.

Is the risk that RTH doesn't work due to some software error, and if so, isn't that just as likely in the second situation?   My point is, once you are 100m+, you are in FPV mode, and does risk really increase depending on distance?  How often does RTH actually fail in practice?
2015-5-12
Use props
nurzia
lvl.2

Netherlands

Phantastic Posted at 2015-5-12 19:05
I often see warnings that going out of range is very risky.  I'd like to understand the logic in the ...

First of all the law. Are you able in your country to fly the drone without have it in view? I don't so..
Second is not needed a genius to understand why you can get more problem in case of fault when the drone are 3-4km away from you.

Ahh remember (for the law)  to put a clear permanent sign on the drone with your name and address.

Cheers
2015-5-12
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

Did 16,624 feet distance  today. FELT GREAT!
2015-5-12
Use props
Jim.young04
lvl.2

United States

nurzia Posted at 2015-5-13 04:50
First of all the law. Are you able in your country to fly the drone without have it in view? I don ...

the law says you have to have your information on the drone? in the US?
2015-5-12
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jim.young04@gma Posted at 2015-5-13 11:20
the law says you have to have your information on the drone? in the US?

This is only a requirement right now if you're flying commercially. You need to display your N number as large as possible -- not your contact info though.
2015-5-12
Use props
nurzia
lvl.2

United States

mike@singerscre Posted at 2015-5-13 11:40
This is only a requirement right now if you're flying commercially. You need to display your N num ...

In my country it's required by law (Germany).

But let me say that it's funny.. you feel great to fly away the drone but you can scared to put your name on your drone. ahahahahaha have you a guilty conscience???

....foolish people
2015-5-13
Use props
Phantastic
lvl.1

United Kingdom

ntfa@sbcglobal. Posted at 2015-5-13 09:44
Did 16,624 feet distance  today. FELT GREAT!

Nice one

I think lots of us like to fly longer ranges.  Others like to buzz around a small localised area.

I don't always have time to drive a long distance away just to fly for 18mins, so often I fly from my home.  I don't want to annoy my neighbours, so I go straight up to 500m and then quickly fly off somewhere as far as I can.  I have lost signal a few times.  It waits a few seconds and then returns towards my home point.  I never fly until I have a home GPS lock.  It hasn't failed me thus far.  Will it fail me sooner or later?  What is the likelihood?

Either way, it is a risk I am willing to take as <100m flying just bores me and annoys everyone around me.  What is the point in having it if I don't get to fly it the way I enjoy?  if I want to zip around with the quad in sight I would use a £40 Syma rather than a Phantom - it is sportier and quieter, and takes knocks better.
2015-5-13
Use props
Jim.young04
lvl.2

United States

nurzia Posted at 2015-5-13 18:04
In my country it's required by law (Germany).

But let me say that it's funny.. you feel great to  ...

we have seen many viral videos of drone owners being attacked (verbally, physically) for flying drones in a legal manner. I'm not scared, just wondering if I was breaking the law without my name on my drone.
2015-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules