18048 18048 2018-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-4-26 10:10
Yeah, but the spark is non-foldable, and with the Mavic pro if you had non-foldable props they would stick out. But this is not the case with the Mavic Air.

I think the biggest deciding point was the folding props would shorten flight time of the Mavic Air quite possibly to below 20mins?
2018-4-26
Use props
QuadFunAus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38835 ft
Australia

3-D Posted at 2018-4-23 09:42
I guess I'll just have to disagree.  With mine folded, the props are the length of the battery.  I can't see a portability benefit of folding props.  [view_image]

Is there any other benefit to folding props?   (really asking for information, because i don't know)

Folding props might make it less likely to brush the prop tips against your hands while unfolding the arms, and possibly less likely to bend the probs while placing the MA in and out of the carry case.  In terms of portability though, no reason to have foldable props that I can see!  For me, not a big deal either way, but it would be nice if they could make them less high pitch (buzzy).
2018-4-26
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-4-26 15:29
I think the biggest deciding point was the folding props would shorten flight time of the Mavic Air quite possibly to below 20mins?

Well realistically  it's 15-16 minutes, if it would be even less, someone would have to test it.
2018-4-27
Use props
Breezer74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20072 ft

United Kingdom

Personally, I'm happy enough with the drone as is, but if quieter or lower pitch props became available I would definitely buy them - every little bit helps if trying to keep from bothering others.
2018-4-27
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

GoldenSun Posted at 2018-4-27 03:07
Well realistically  it's 15-16 minutes, if it would be even less, someone would have to test it.

I think if DJI could create the folding props option that wouldn't change the Mavic Air look. The design of props that both fold and elongate would work like now when the Mavic Air is stored packed away in its case. When folding and unfolding the Mavic Pro, I feel that having props folded first before adjusting the arms inward for storage, overall tends to put less wear-and-tear on the unit itself.
2018-4-27
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Breezer74 Posted at 2018-4-27 03:13
Personally, I'm happy enough with the drone as is, but if quieter or lower pitch props became available I would definitely buy them - every little bit helps if trying to keep from bothering others.

The Mavic Air has been out for only several months. It took more than a year for DJI to develop and release the low-noise props for Mavic Pro. In time I think we'll see more propeller options come to the market.
2018-4-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The folding design is more for convenience in portability and will have little to no effect on flight endurance - the MPP has folding props and gives out up to 30 minutes of flight time. It's the tips of the 8331's being winglet that help with the noise reduction added to the shape of the blade. The Mavic Air shares the same tech in terms of the FOC ESC's as the MPP so an improved prop design will lower noise. They don't need to be folded as the current props fit perfectly for storage/transport.
2018-5-3
Use props
joe_gadget
lvl.4

Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-5-3 12:54
The folding design is more for convenience in portability and will have little to no effect on flight endurance - the MPP has folding props and gives out up to 30 minutes of flight time. It's the tips of the 8331's being winglet that help with the noise reduction added to the shape of the blade. The Mavic Air shares the same tech in terms of the FOC ESC's as the MPP so an improved prop design will lower noise. They don't need to be folded as the current props fit perfectly for storage/transport.

I agree, Whether the props fold or not it will still be the same size whether packed up in its case or not. I suspect the main reason why we don't have low noise props is flight time. I'm no aero engineer but on a small drone with already small props I would imagine flight time could suffer with those winglets and I'm sure DJI wouldn't want to advertise that. Having said that it would be great for it to become an option at some point.
2018-5-3
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

The Pro get extra minute with low noise prop. I don’t think that design will reduce flight time.
2018-5-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

joe_gadget Posted at 2018-5-3 16:44
I agree, Whether the props fold or not it will still be the same size whether packed up in its case or not. I suspect the main reason why we don't have low noise props is flight time. I'm no aero engineer but on a small drone with already small props I would imagine flight time could suffer with those winglets and I'm sure DJI wouldn't want to advertise that. Having said that it would be great for it to become an option at some point.

Quite the opposite - it will add a little flight time using a winglet design prop. Using the 8331's on the original MP adds a minute and thats with the older version of the ESC's so the increase in endurance is driven entirely by the design of the props.
I think the reason we don't have that prop design on the MA is probably due to the louder decibels making the drone easier to identify and navigate by VLOS given that the drone will attract a vast number of people new to the hobby. The louder motors may also help to deter larger birds who tend to be drawn more to smaller drones. And because DJI just wanted to get the drone out into the market and will probably add low noise props down the line to capitalise on the accessories (IMO).
2018-5-3
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

The louder prop also attracting a lot of bugs. I always find some remain of bugs on prop need to clean up.
2018-5-3
Use props
joe_gadget
lvl.4

Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-5-3 23:17
Quite the opposite - it will add a little flight time using a winglet design prop. Using the 8331's on the original MP adds a minute and thats with the older version of the ESC's so the increase in endurance is driven entirely by the design of the props.
I think the reason we don't have that prop design on the MA is probably due to the louder decibels making the drone easier to identify and navigate by VLOS given that the drone will attract a vast number of people new to the hobby. The louder motors may also help to deter larger birds who tend to be drawn more to smaller drones. And because DJI just wanted to get the drone out into the market and will probably add low noise props down the line to capitalise on the accessories (IMO).

Thanks i wasn't aware of the extra flight time on the MP with the 8331s. Lets hope so. I think the loud noise in fact attracts birds to defend their turf rather than a deterrent though so here's hoping for accessories down the line.
2018-5-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

joe_gadget Posted at 2018-5-4 00:27
Thanks i wasn't aware of the extra flight time on the MP with the 8331s. Lets hope so. I think the loud noise in fact attracts birds to defend their turf rather than a deterrent though so here's hoping for accessories down the line.

Good point on the bird thing - there is that too.
2018-5-4
Use props
Soterisk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1199685 ft
Cyprus

Yes non-foldable but with carbon fiber material like the phandom3 props original from dji
2018-5-5
Use props
Optimus Prime-Mavic Air
lvl.4
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

For me, i need quieter propellers like the pro platinum.
2018-5-6
Use props
johnnybflyguy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 533681 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-4-21 06:07
I’d hate that someone  would want to change the sound of a Porsche ;-)

They did when they put a flat 4 in the 718.
2018-5-6
Use props
johnnybflyguy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 533681 ft
United Kingdom

They did when they put a flat 4 in the 718.
2018-5-6
Use props
ANTHONYVLOG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1217552 ft
  • >>>
France

Maybe props that change the frequency. The high pitched thrashing makes it noisy, and may just be the sound of wash contacting the frame. Wonder if deflectors on the top shell would change the sound ;)
2018-5-6
Use props
LucaIntini
lvl.1
Flight distance : 397 ft
  • >>>
Canada

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-21 16:02
Yeah they should for sure make some for the MA.  I do not have the MA but the MP and I have the 8331's for my MP and for me they are much better.

I moved from the MP with 8331 to MA, the difference in noise is huge, it's a problem in quite places or with some sensible people around, actually it prevents you to flight in some cases
2018-5-9
Use props
Iron Drone
lvl.1
United States

Quieter props would be sweeet!  Although, I haven't experienced anyone freaking out over me flying my drone I like flying under the radar and not drawing attention to myself. DJI give us quieter props! PRETTY PLEASE?!
2018-5-9
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

LucaIntini Posted at 2018-5-9 09:20
I moved from the MP with 8331 to MA, the difference in noise is huge, it's a problem in quite places or with some sensible people around, actually it prevents you to flight in some cases

Yup, you should hear the difference between the MP / 8331 props and the P4P with stock props !!  P4P needs a muffler !!!
2018-5-9
Use props
DJI P5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 59610 ft
Singapore

Low noise prop is more important than foldable
2018-5-9
Use props
DJI P5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 59610 ft
Singapore

Foldable prop will reduce the flight time
2018-5-9
Use props
umsimono
lvl.1
Canada

Would instantly buy low-noise props for Mavic Air if DJI released some. I want all around me to be less concerned about the drone when I fly (I fly almost exclusively no where near people). The size of the Mavic Air is very “approachable”. If it was quieter it would be even better!!
2018-5-31
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
Taiwan

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-9 10:39
Yup, you should hear the difference between the MP / 8331 props and the P4P with stock props !!  P4P needs a muffler !!!

P4P needs a muffler !!!

For MA, how about Harley Blades?  Big sounding thunder noise as bad-boys chop air.
Make your neighbors think an overloaded UH-1 Huey is attempting takeoff.

2018-6-9
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

We need more cheese
2018-6-9
Use props
Dorset_Horn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

I keep reading that the Mavic is "attracting bugs".  My car does that too!
Do you guys think perhaps you're just flying through swarms of the things and they can't get out of the way?
2018-6-10
Use props
Free2be
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229570 ft

When possible without decrease other features, less noise are welcome.
2018-6-10
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

I finally flown as Mavic Air in person the other day and I agree, the Mavic Air is noisy as all hell.  Frequency that it makes is annoying as all hell.   It’s louder but I think it’s the frequency mostly annoying..  

It need low noise props ASAP
2018-6-10
Use props
小仙女的星巴克
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4657841 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fold or unfold but I love these Props I got!
2018-6-11
Use props
timdelma
lvl.2
Belgium

Foldable is not necessary but quieter props would be VERY nice!
2018-6-11
Use props
mongo978
lvl.2
United Kingdom

TheCenda Posted at 2018-4-21 02:17
Why would you need foldable props for MA?

Quite! To make make it less efficient & harder to fold up?
2018-6-15
Use props
Optimus_Prime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

Just need a little more quiet props.
2018-6-15
Use props
TomWill
lvl.1
United States

Am I reading that correctly, you have the end of this poll at 934 days from now?  That almost 3 years.
2018-6-15
Use props
phatee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36165 ft
United States

well...technically you can have foldable props on the MA.  Just use the props from the spark and put them on the MA.  I'm sure this is not suggested by DJI but it still works.
2018-6-19
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

GDL Posted at 2018-4-22 17:14
The noise of MA attracting bugs. I need to clean the remains of bugs commonly after land. This problem may be solved by change the prop noise.

As someone who has a spark and MA, I can attest to attractive nature of the motors to bugs. Its really bad near lakes and rivers as mosquito season just started and now my cameras have turned into unintentional murder machines for these mosquitos
2018-6-20
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

小仙女的星巴克 Posted at 2018-6-11 05:39
[view_image]

Fold or unfold but I love these Props I got!

got any photos of them spinning? I would love to see if it works like the MP led props.
2018-6-20
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-21 16:02
Yeah they should for sure make some for the MA.  I do not have the MA but the MP and I have the 8331's for my MP and for me they are much better.

Yeah I’ve found the low noise ones are good, slightly quieter and marginal increase in flight time. I have found my Air louder, quite a bit louder so if not foldable - perhaps low noise ones! Either way, love both Mavic!
2018-6-21
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

like your porsche, the reason it sounds subjectively good to you and others, comes down to the tone it makes, not the volume, but the tone...  that's why the MPP or mavic pro + plat props sounds so much better and quieter,  comes down to the tone more then the Db range, changes the pitch so no longer sounds like a screaming fan spinning at 100 million miles and hour..

i flown the mavic air and used to own a spark, the pitch of the props is very annoying.
2018-7-1
Use props
sky6105
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

Dorset_Horn Posted at 2018-6-10 01:03
I keep reading that the Mavic is "attracting bugs".  My car does that too!
Do you guys think perhaps you're just flying through swarms of the things and they can't get out of the way?

Most of the time when I fly, I get a lot of dragonfly's flying into the props.
When playing back my videos that's when I see it the dragonfly's getting chopped up.
Maybe its the sound of the props.
2018-7-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules