Signal Issues
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NLondon
lvl.1

I purchased my DJI Phantom 3 SE back in August.  I constantly seem mto be having signal issues.  Sometimes I can go out to 1500 ft just fine.  Other times I lose the signal at a distance of 400 ft.  Sometimes it doesn't reconnect until it is about to land. This happens in the city and places far away from the city out in the desert.  It happens at least once per battery flight.

For example, I was in the Unitah mountains in Utah, far away from anyone.  There was a small lake there that I wanted to video from the perimeter. When it got to the far side it lost signal and came back.  I had a clear view of the aircraft and it was less than the 1500 ft limit.  More recently I was in the desert and one time it lost signal at 400 feet.

Previously I had this issue with other DJI drones but I returned them.  I purchased the SE because it claims to have a stronger signal that can be used for longer distances.

Is this a normal condition when using WiFi.  I  this drone has not met my expectations.  I do not have full confidence in the aircraft that it can do what I want it to do.

I talked to customer support and they said that maybe I should send it in for repair.  I don't want to send it in and have them tell me, "It's working fine."

BTW, I do have the latest firmware update.  I don't know that it makes any difference but I am using the Samsung Tab S2 tablet for my controller.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.    Thank you very much.
2018-4-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Make sure you're aiming correctly.  

https://forum.dji.com/thread-142644-1-1.html
2018-4-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Just to verify, do you enable the airplane mode and disable the Bluetooth during the flight? What's the maximum flight distance when you fly in an open place without interference?
2018-4-21
Use props
NLondon
lvl.1

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-21 18:18
Just to verify, do you enable the airplane mode and disable the Bluetooth during the flight? What's the maximum flight distance when you fly in an open place without interference?

I am going to look at the unit tonight.  I have gone as far as 1500 feet (Max distance according to the FAA).  However, it seems like I lose the signal when the SE if about 10 to 20% right of the controller. I would say it would be about a 2:00 o'clock. The antennae is pointing up.  However, I have lost the signal once when it is straight in front of me at about 800 feet.  I plan to take it out on Friday to see how far I can go again.  I will let you know what I will find out.
2018-4-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

NLondon Posted at 2018-4-25 15:24
I am going to look at the unit tonight.  I have gone as far as 1500 feet (Max distance according to the FAA).  However, it seems like I lose the signal when the SE if about 10 to 20% right of the controller. I would say it would be about a 2:00 o'clock. The antennae is pointing up.  However, I have lost the signal once when it is straight in front of me at about 800 feet.  I plan to take it out on Friday to see how far I can go again.  I will let you know what I will find out.

From what you say it sounds like you are flying in a city. Urban areas are saturated with WiFi routers which use exactly the same radio frequencies as the Phantom and its controller. Get out of the city if you want to achieve decent distances. The range quoted by DJI only applies away from urban areas.
2018-4-25
Use props
NLondon
lvl.1

Geebax Posted at 2018-4-25 15:51
From what you say it sounds like you are flying in a city. Urban areas are saturated with WiFi routers which use exactly the same radio frequencies as the Phantom and its controller. Get out of the city if you want to achieve decent distances. The range quoted by DJI only applies away from urban areas.

I have the issue within the city and away from the city.  It has happened at times when I was more than 50 miles away from the city.  Most recently I was flying over the Great Salt Lake, probably about 10 miles from Salt Lake City.  Flying high above a lake shouldn't cause any problems? As I mentioned above I have been really frustrated.  Thanks.
2018-4-25
Use props
NLondon
lvl.1

NLondon Posted at 2018-4-25 16:15
I have the issue within the city and away from the city.  It has happened at times when I was more than 50 miles away from the city.  Most recently I was flying over the Great Salt Lake, probably about 10 miles from Salt Lake City.  Flying high above a lake shouldn't cause any problems? As I mentioned above I have been really frustrated.  Thanks.

Another question.  My Samsung tablet connects to the controller via WiFi.  The controller connects to the aircraft via WiFi.  Does that cause any conflict? Thanks.
2018-4-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

NLondon Posted at 2018-4-25 16:19
Another question.  My Samsung tablet connects to the controller via WiFi.  The controller connects to the aircraft via WiFi.  Does that cause any conflict? Thanks.

Remember - this is a DJI design, so there shouldn't be conflict because the DJI engineers wouldn't be putting this product to market with obvious conflicts.  If two signals in the system are using the same frequency band, they wouldn't be using the same specific frequency (i.e. channel) at the same moment.  

From what we have gathered, the SE is a unique system and we're not exactly sure the signal that moves from the controller to the AC is conventional wifi.  DJI calls it "enhanced wifi."  But it seems it is more closely related to Lightbridge.  

Besides that, the systems are designed to avoid conflict even if they are using the same frequency band.
2018-4-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

NLondon Posted at 2018-4-25 16:19

As Mark mentioned, they are not conflicted. No worries. For the distance you referred, flight environment is one key point, please keep us posted on the latest progress.  
2018-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules