Can you steal a drone from the air with another remote control or...
8845 24 2018-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Deepelnok
lvl.2

Hungary

I saw this video and got my next thought: Can you steal a drone from the air with another remote control or other technique?

2018-4-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Not with another DJI controller, no.  But there are electronic directional transmitting devices that can force-land a rogue drone, apparently.  
2018-4-23
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Only one remote at a time can be synced with the drone.
2018-4-23
Use props
Deepelnok
lvl.2

Hungary

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-4-23 01:51
Not with another DJI controller, no.  But there are electronic directional transmitting devices that can force-land a rogue drone, apparently.

I also have a phantom 4, I could not control the drone and reacted after 5 minutes at the home button.
2018-4-23
Use props
Deepelnok
lvl.2

Hungary

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-4-23 03:20
Only one remote at a time can be synced with the drone.

I also have a phantom 4, I could not control the dronem and reacted after 5 minutes at the home button.
2018-4-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Can you imagine the disaster it would create, if all drones were sympathetic to external device interference? Haha

Shall we say Crash? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-4-23
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

the same efforts to create new drones and new weapons to destroy them

2018-4-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

At this moment, the linking RC still requires pressing the linking button in the aircraft. Let's see what might happen in the future.
2018-4-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-23 18:28
At this moment, the linking RC still requires pressing the linking button in the aircraft. Let's see what might happen in the future.

Which is precisely why I call BS on those supposed devices that can take control of your aircraft and make it land.
2018-4-23
Use props
djiuser_iGJqCoTNTQSa
lvl.4

Maybe if you could make a device that could find the RF frequency that the drone is operating on, then send the signal with a larger amplitude to overpower the DJI transmitter
2018-4-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djiuser_iGJqCoTNTQSa Posted at 2018-4-23 19:23
Maybe if you could make a device that could find the RF frequency that the drone is operating on, then send the signal with a larger amplitude to overpower the DJI transmitter

It would not matter, unless the two devices are linked, it will ignore the signal from the more powerful device anyway. There is a code that has to be sent along with the command. And in any event, the receiving device would sense the interference and switch channels, unless you set a fixed channel. Yet another reason for having a frequency-agile system and letting it do it's job as intended.

2018-4-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Some guys feel like they are winning, by jail breaking their devices and bringing back those lost channels.

Personally, I think it's just another valid reason for DJI to discount a warranty claim.

RedHotPoker
2018-4-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Maybe if you could make a device that could find the RF frequency that the drone is operating on, then send the signal with a larger amplitude to overpower the DJI transmitter

If that happened then it is more than likely the Phantom would see loss of control signal and initiate an RTH.

As an analogy, it's like somebody trying to break into a password protected mobile phone, perhaps not impossible, but so difficult as to make it impractical.
2018-4-23
Use props
Endru
lvl.2

Hungary

Maybe if you could make a device that could find the RF frequency that the drone is operating on, then send the signal with a larger amplitude to overpower the DJI transmitter

It's more than just the frequency. When the aircraft (Rx) and Transmitter/Radio (Tx) are "Bound" together they are encoded so they are only "accepting" information from the right "code". This allows two systems to be on or near the same frequency and not "Shoot" each other down.
2018-4-24
Use props
Endru
lvl.2

Hungary

Mindful of the forum rules so won’t post links however simple google searches will reveal a proven exploit where the P3 standard can be hijacked and flown by the attacker. There is also a recent demonstrated exploit for the spark. I’m any case simple RF jamming will force the AC into RTH failsafe regardless of what model it is.
2018-4-25
Use props
Deepelnok
lvl.2

Hungary

Thanks! I succeeded in stealing a drone!
2018-4-27
Use props
Deepelnok
lvl.2

Hungary

Very interesting topic thank you for your answers!

https://phantompilots.com/thread ... r-technique.133996/
2019-3-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Like I need another model... hahaha

No, I’m thinking about gifting a few of my drones.

Having 3 nephews, old enough to appreciate them.

RedHotPoker
2019-3-10
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Endru Posted at 2018-4-24 05:52
It's more than just the frequency. When the aircraft (Rx) and Transmitter/Radio (Tx) are "Bound" together they are encoded so they are only "accepting" information from the right "code". This allows two systems to be on or near the same frequency and not "Shoot" each other down.

This is what I was also led to believe.
2019-3-10
Use props
Kolamocote
lvl.1

Germany

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF56LH1zqEQ
2019-8-24
Use props
Kolamocote
lvl.1

Germany

Yes! So....................

2019-8-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Kolamocote Posted at 8-24 02:31
Yes! So....................

That is so easily faked, blah. Where is the RC unit that was controlling it???
2019-8-24
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing. I'd imagine any DJI drone that is already bound to a specific drone cannot simultaneously bind to that same drone while the drone is bound to the first controller - unless you have special software - like DJI - who would attempt to jam out that controller of that user - not ultimately jam out the drone of that controller being controlled by that user - it's likely the controller of that drone that would ultimately become jammed out by some other proprietary system doing so.
2019-8-24
Use props
Deepelnok
lvl.2

Hungary

David Martin Graff Posted at 2019-8-24 15:08
Nicely done - thanks again for sharing. I'd imagine any DJI drone that is already bound to a specific drone cannot simultaneously bind to that same drone while the drone is bound to the first controller - unless you have special software - like DJI - who would attempt to jam out that controller of that user - not ultimately jam out the drone of that controller being controlled by that user - it's likely the controller of that drone that would ultimately become jammed out by some other proprietary system doing so.

Thanks! Thanks!
2020-5-19
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad I was able to make sense of that, not that I know exactly what would be the cause for that??.
2020-6-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules