Mavic Flyaway problems
7893 236 2018-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
2wenty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72316 ft
United States

This is a long video and caught a lot of stuff. Keep in mind I bought this the day before my trip and I don't care if it has problems or not. I traveled across the country to get this footage and Im getting what I can get.

Ill try and timeline below. I was talking while flying point out the problems but I guess screen record doesn't grab external audio. If you goto the actual youtube video youll be able to click on the timestamps.

Problems start at
5:17 Gimbal failure / unresponsive gimbal
5:35 Controller disconnect / I unplugged and replugged (also had failures connecting the phone the normal way and the USB way)
6:04 I try the gimbal again and again, unresponsive. So I start to bring it back to home (manually).
6:26 Gimbal overload
6:30 I take Gimbal out of portrait mode to see if that helps and it doesn't.
7:24 Gimbal fixes itself, so I go to get more footage.
9:09 It jumps forward in acceleration. Im barley pushing froward. Im not dumb enough to full throttle in these tight trees.
9:13 Starts drifting to the left even though Im pointing straight (its been doing this since the first flight). I start slowing down and lean right to get back on course.
9:26 Im barley pressing forward and barley left to make a nice panning turn, as soon as I left off the steering the thing lunges forward with the same amount of forward throttle. I didn't apply more.
9:33 I left off the throttle forward steer harder right because I know the excess forward speed is going to put me into the trees.
9:34 My steering right is down but the drone continues to drift to the left.
9:40 I left of forward throttle and go hard right to fight the drift.
9:47 The forward acceleration lunges forward again. I barley pressed the throttle forward (it wasn't in sprots mode). Im not dumb enough to full throttle these tight quarters.
10:00 My throttle forward and never changes, as soon as I left off the steering it lunges forward (just like at 9:26). Even though I off steering it still drifts to left again.
10:02 Im so pi ssed off and frustrated with fighting with the dumb thing I just full power up to get out of there and bring it back because Im over it. It clips a trees and goes down into the snow.
          it landed flat and only broke the props from visual inspection.

Before anyone mentions it, all my controls were softened to get smooth control. Ive flown my old one in such tight spaces to where I had to turn the all the avoidance off and I never had a crash. Not even close actually. I don't know whats up with this drone but it does not fly normal. The controls feel very jello and disconnected. It likes to drift to the left. I have also more footage of it going to the left and I have to fight and or stop it to correct. Also the overly sensitive forward and reverse throttle. My other one was very delicate if it needed it to be. This thing just takes off with the slightest input. Also the controls are turned down even further than my old one.
2018-5-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

2wenty Posted at 2018-5-4 12:08
Okay after about 10 controller disconnects and the gimbal failure I decided to screen record because I know this is going to try into a problem.

https://youtu.be/8dyqTWoIiF8

It all a bit confusing, this video with gimbal was this shot after the last video you shot, because I’m presuming the crash may have gone on to damage other parts of your aircraft.

Also do you mind letting us know what dji said about your first crash besides just magnetic interference?
2018-5-4
Use props
2wenty
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-4 13:22
It all a bit confusing, this video with gimbal was this shot after the last video you shot, because I’m presuming the crash may have gone on to damage other parts of your aircraft.

Also do you mind letting us know what dji said about your first crash besides just magnetic interference?

Yeah the video post before this was shot before the long video. The crash was the last thing that has happened. No more footage after that since it doesn't work anymore.

NON-WARRANTY PER DATA ANALYSIS. Compass interference FLY037 1. User took off from a metallic object causing immediate compass error. 2. At t=86s, unit started to drift. 3. At t=100s, user attempted to correct the course but unit drifted to obstacle. Force impact date: 4/22/18 Force impact GPS location: 34.3622815 -117.8660737 Activation date: 2017-01-23 SN: 08RDDBH00102Y9 Conclusion: Magnetic interference caused compass error. Unit drifted to obstacle and crashed. [Non warranty] Dear Customer, Unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. We will either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received. For more information, please visit
2018-5-4
Use props
2wenty
lvl.2
United States

Here are something other cases of drifting to the left. The top video shows it pretty severe.

Here it is in the same spot going the opposite direction so you cant say it was a draft. Constantly fighting it drifting left. Also not consistent forward acceleration. It lunges forwards towards the end.

2018-5-4
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

2wenty Posted at 2018-5-4 12:49
This is a long video and caught a lot of stuff. Keep in mind I bought this the day before my trip and I don't care if it has problems or not. I traveled across the country to get this footage and Im getting what I can get.

Ill try and timeline below. I was talking while flying point out the problems but I guess screen record doesn't grab external audio. If you goto the actual youtube video youll be able to click on the timestamps.

You are seriously flying in the snow???  You do know water and electronics=not good right?
2018-5-4
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1672566 ft
Russia

Ill try and timeline below. I was talking while flying point out the problems but I guess screen record doesn't grab external audio. If you goto the actual youtube video youll be able to click on the timestamps.

Might be several problems here. The gimbal is obviously faulty. But as to the problems controlling your drone, the VPS may have been bewildered by the running water in the brook. Seems to be a common problem with these drones.
2018-5-4
Use props
2wenty
lvl.2

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-4 13:32
You are seriously flying in the snow???

I dont know, do you have eyes?
2018-5-4
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

2wenty Posted at 2018-5-4 13:33
I dont know, do you have eyes?

Whatever have fun with your broke piece.  No wonder it doesn't work.  next time go with something cheap.  
2018-5-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

2wenty Posted at 2018-5-4 13:26
Here are something other cases of drifting to the left. The top video shows it pretty severe.

That drifting I’m 99% sure this is VPS problem, VPS gets confused with moving water it is documented in your manual and flying over similar so low is not recommended. VPS needs good textured ground and good light to get good steady lock, you will also have same problems flying low over snow or in low light over grass.

As you say the first flight with the crooked gimbal there were certainly problems, but your long flight for the most of it seemed to be fine, you were operating in tight quarters and also flying pretty low so you would also have had same drifting as a result of problems with VPS.
2018-5-4
Use props
2wenty
lvl.2
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-4 13:37
Whatever have fun with your broke piece.  No wonder it doesn't work.  next time go with something cheap.

Keep your shi tty opinions to yourself. Don't worry about what I'm doing. That amount of snow was negligible. It had nothing to do with the problems.
2018-5-4
Use props
2wenty
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-4 13:39
That drifting I’m 99% sure this is VPS problem, VPS gets confused with moving water it is documented in your manual and flying over similar so low is not recommended. VPS needs good textured ground and good light to get good steady lock, you will also have same problems flying low over snow or in low light over grass.

As you say the first flight with the crooked gimbal there were certainly problems, but your long flight for the most of it seemed to be fine, you were operating in tight quarters and also flying pretty low so you would also have had same drifting as a result of problems with VPS.

2nd long video shows more gimbal failure and controller disconnect. My last Mavic had no issues flying in the snow or over water.
2018-5-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-27 13:51
We can all see accidents waiting to happen, except you maybe.  

Especially when you ignore things that don't fit your narrative of accident...

“How about you provide evidence that there was Magnetic Interference that was subtle enough as not to cause drone before launch to detect Interference, yet was strong enough to cause compass to give a false reading till drone reached 5.9-feet, then have drone decide that the change in magnetic field was so drastic as to declare Compass Failure.”

5 times you said it was not magnetic interference, in one post you clearly said it was dji’s fault, but you back tracked on that and changed your post.

You see the thing is if you spent less time harassing others and read the log you would see what caused the crash as others did, and believe me it was all there in both the log and the story, and it wasn’t very difficult to figure out.
2018-5-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

2wenty Posted at 2018-5-4 13:44
2nd long video shows more gimbal failure and controller disconnect. My last Mavic had no issues flying in the snow or over water.

I don’t know why you had disconnect but this can happen we have all experience that, once you have synced your flight logs dji will be able to see early flight which shows real problem with gimbal overload , your flights will be recorded in the order they were flown so dji should be able to see all the problems with earlier flights , and then your final flight where the crash happened, I’m sure they can decide if problems with previous flights had effect of causing your craft to crash.

You can see when your Aircraft was flying low over both water and snow clear drifting.
2018-5-4
Use props
2wenty
lvl.2

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-4 14:00
I don’t know why you had disconnect but this can happen we have all experience that, once you have synced your flight logs dji will be able to see early flight which shows real problem with gimbal overload , your flights will be recorded in the order they were flown so dji should be able to see all the problems with earlier flights , and then your final flight where the crash happened, I’m sure they can decide if problems with previous flights had effect of causing your craft to crash.

You can see when your Aircraft was flying low over both water and snow clear drifting.

I had at least 10 controller disconnects within a few min. I only caught that one on video. So its not normal. And in all honesty, I really don't give a s hit anymore, this has wasted so much of my time and money. The amount of time I wasted alone and driving around to deal with this I could of just made my money back and moved on with my life. Maybe when DJI considers making something pro that is reasonably affordable ill consider it. Kinda of funny how the safety features make it fly worse. Maybe DJI should focus on that instead of trying to make fun little badges, names and points people can earn. Is this a toy or for pro use? Im pretty much done. If DSLRPRO wont consider replacing it due to all the issues before the crash Ill probably just make a video on me running it over with my car and that will be that. Ironically ill probably end up with more social media hits then I would of with all the non footage I would have flying that busted Mavic.
2018-5-4
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Russia

2wenty Posted at 2018-5-4 14:16
I had at least 10 controller disconnects within a few min. I only caught that one on video. So its not normal. And in all honesty, I really don't give a s hit anymore, this has wasted so much of my time and money. The amount of time I wasted alone and driving around to deal with this I could of just made my money back and moved on with my life. Maybe when DJI considers making something pro that is reasonably affordable ill consider it. Kinda of funny how the safety features make it fly worse. Maybe DJI should focus on that instead of trying to make fun little badges, names and points people can earn. Is this a toy or for pro use? Im pretty much done. If DSLRPRO wont consider replacing it due to all the issues before the crash Ill probably just make a video on me running it over with my car and that will be that. Ironically ill probably end up with more social media hits then I would of with all the non footage I would have flying that busted Mavic.

> Kinda of funny how the safety features make it fly worse.

I'd say they occasionally make it dangerous... I agree. That worries me too. And because it is fundamentally a very hard task to make a drone intelligent enough to behave well in all adverse circumstances, I think DJI should introduce a special emergency mode that would at least allow the pilot regain manual control over the aircraft (similar to sport, but with GPS, VPS, and compass off).
2018-5-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

asaw Posted at 2018-5-4 14:31
> Kinda of funny how the safety features make it fly worse.

I'd say they occasionally make it dangerous... I agree. That worries me too. And because it is fundamentally a very hard task to make a drone intelligent enough to behave well in all adverse circumstances, I think DJI should introduce a special emergency mode that would at least allow the pilot regain manual control over the aircraft (similar to sport, but with GPS and VPS off).

They do it’s called Atti mode and it will be there when you lose gps, and it’s automatic like in all dji drones including professional drones.
2018-5-4
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-4 14:46
They do it’s called Atti mode and it will be there when you lose gps, and it’s automatic like in all dji drones including professional drones.

The problem is that it won't be there if GPS signal is screwed and drone thinks it is hundreds of feet/miles away from the point where it actually is, rushes there and smashes into a wall, tree, house... at best. And the pilot can do nothing about it. There should be an option to enable it manually and quickly.
2018-5-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

asaw Posted at 2018-5-4 14:59
The problem is that it won't be there if GPS signal is screwed and drone thinks it is hundreds of feet/miles away from the point where it actually is, rushes there and smashes into a wall, tree, house... at best. And the pilot can do nothing about it. There should be an option to enable it manually and quickly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgmGq79E1Es

It seems strange that you would want to fly manually yet you bought a MavAir, that’s just a case of bad research.
There are any amount of drones out there with only manual mode, you can still buy cheaper phantoms like standard3 that will give you full manual mode,
But you won’t get a manual drone that even the best flyers could follow around like what you see in the video you choose to show, and if I thought someone was flying around me like that with a drone in manual mod I would be extremely concerned.

The simple fact that aircraft goes off like that is not down to loss of gps, in fact we almost never see gps lost on its own in these aircraft, it’s much more dependable than compass IMU motors etc, gps is not the problem with these drones, in fact it is probably the most reliable tech in the drone.

The biggest problem with drones before gps was crashing and almost nobody owned one, most were built by hobbyists, but we now have a situation we’re huge amounts of people have and own drones and if all of Mavics and MavAir had Atti mode I believe we would see crashes increased 10 fold and simply because of the power in these drones people who own them are at risk of not only damaging people but also themselves.
Try Atti mode on a windy day in an urban area it ain’t easy and I believe if you let 10 inexperienced pilots try it 9 will crash and 8 will come here telling dji it’s their fault for having Atti mode.
What do we see model aircraft confined to flying in enclosed spaces, simply because they are very difficult to fly in or around property or people.
What you have shown in the video is not as a direct result of loosing gps, so it’s not a good example.
2018-5-4
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

Hallmark, CW and their crew must be paid DJI fan boys...... I mean really..... Thread after thread........ It's amazing the levels they stoop, to try to make people look bad.
2018-5-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bulldog Posted at 2018-5-4 15:33
Hallmark, CW and their crew must be paid DJI fan boys...... I mean really..... Thread after thread........ It's amazing the levels they stoop, to try to make people look bad.

Your right once again, of all the participants around here you are indeed the most courteous and helpful, I really don’t know how this forum manages without you when you go missing, but having said that you always come back to brighten the place up with your helpful quips and kind thoughts.
2018-5-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

2wenty Posted at 2018-5-4 13:26
Yeah the video post before this was shot before the long video. The crash was the last thing that has happened. No more footage after that since it doesn't work anymore.

NON-WARRANTY PER DATA ANALYSIS. Compass interference FLY037 1. User took off from a metallic object causing immediate compass error. 2. At t=86s, unit started to drift. 3. At t=100s, user attempted to correct the course but unit drifted to obstacle. Force impact date: 4/22/18 Force impact GPS location: 34.3622815 -117.8660737 Activation date: 2017-01-23 SN: 08RDDBH00102Y9 Conclusion: Magnetic interference caused compass error. Unit drifted to obstacle and crashed. [Non warranty] Dear Customer, Unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. We will either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received. For more information, please visit

NON-WARRANTY PER DATA ANALYSIS. Compass interference FLY037 1. User took  off from a metallic object causing immediate compass error.

Disappointed that DJI makes such a statement, without offerring or explaining how DJI came to that conclusion.
From what you wrote, Mavic was 5-6 feet away from car, not on top of car.  And that you had not had problems doing this before.  
That leaves possibility that Mavic took off from (or very near) ferrous metal.  Like say a man-hole cover.

Thought DJI would blame it on flying 30-minutes after sunset, being you said it was night when it happened.  
By DJI going with 'Compass interference' as result of flying 'from a metallic object' and causing 'immediate compass error' it is leading to Catch-22.

There is no warning in Log file about Magnetic Interference prior to Compass Error.  
I don't believe you saw any kind of warning about Magentic Interference prior to takeoff?

Log shows P-GPS mode starting at 5.0s after power-up and Mavic showing correct altitude of 0-feet.
If I remember correctly, you said you did not see any indication of Mavic going into ATTI mode, which fits with log.
According to manual, when compass experiences interference it is supposed to switch to ATTI mode, counter to what log continues to show till crash.

At 5.5s & 5.6s after power-up Mavic flight log shows Home Point Updated and Home Point Recorded.  
You did say you tried RTH, but drone continued on its own accelerating.
There is no entry in log for RTH being activated.  
Three possibilities: Compass Error did disabled GPS (despite log entry) thus disabling RTH, you did not hold RTH button on RC down long enough to activate,
or Mavic failed to receive / process RTH signal.  
If compass error did disable RTH, at least drone should have stopped, and hovered on receiving at RTH.

First Compass Error, by log, came at 6.1s after power-up and Mavic is already 5.9 feet in air.
At that point, there is little that can be done.  Being, Mavic is already starting to move up and away.  
Even if a warning popped up on display at this point.  Trying to determine why and what to do would be difficult.
Always easy to say what should have been done, knowing the why a day later, sitting behind keyboard, and sipping on .  

I can not find anything in Mavic manual about checking Mavic's compass (pointer on map) against compass (rotating compass) displayed by GO-4, before liftoff.
Nor find anything in Mavic manual about checking GO-4 compass for magnetic interference as part of preparing for flight.
Given circumstances, it is doubtful lifting Mavic off ground and rotating it 90-degrees, and comparing Mavic's compass to SmartDevice's compass as shown
by GO-4 would have worked, unless you were at least back 12-feet from drone.  
Being Compass Error warning in log didn't show up until Mavic was nearly 6-feet in air.

At 8.6s the Mavic appears to be starting to accelerate.  Yaw is still stable at this point.
First indication that Mavic is turning (Yaw change) is at 10.1s.  Good indication Interial sensors were working and IMU was too.

Between IMU working and GPS working, for DJI to ignore GPS because of Compass Error does not make sense.
Nor does it make any sense of Mavic to start accelerating out of control.
Granted the drone does not know which direction its nose is pointing.
However, drone could move short distance, compare its new location to old, and IMU information to workout how to return slowly back to starting point (or close too).

Assuming there were no GO-4 screen warnings, requiring acknowlegement - Catch-22 of this is.  
DJI is saying their drone can experience magnetic interference that will at some point results in Compass Error, yet they can't detect it and warn drone pilot.
At same time DJI is expecting drone pilots to know in advance that there is magnetic interference.  

2018-5-4
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-4 15:33
It seems strange that you would want to fly manually yet you bought a MavAir, that’s just a case of bad research.
There are any amount of drones out there with only manual mode, you can still buy cheaper phantoms like standard3 that will give you full manual mode,
But you won’t get a manual drone that even the best flyers could follow around like what you see in the video you choose to show, and if I thought someone was flying around me like that with a drone in manual mod I would be extremely concerned.

> The simple fact that aircraft goes off like that is not down to loss of gps, in fact we almost never see gps lost on its own in these aircraft, it’s much more dependable than compass IMU motors etc, gps is not the problem with these drones, in fact it is probably the most reliable tech in the drone.

I bet if it was really reliable we wouldn't see topics like this again and again. And I am not talking about the loss of GPS. Such things happen when drone thinks it has adequate GPS signal but this signal gives incorrect location due to reflections, distortions, etc.
2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

asaw Posted at 2018-5-5 01:00
> The simple fact that aircraft goes off like that is not down to loss of gps, in fact we almost never see gps lost on its own in these aircraft, it’s much more dependable than compass IMU motors etc, gps is not the problem with these drones, in fact it is probably the most reliable tech in the drone.

I bet if it was really reliable we wouldn't see topics like this again and again. And I am not talking about the loss of GPS. Such things happen when drone thinks it has adequate GPS signal but this signal gives incorrect location due to reflections, distortions, etc.

The fact that this is the place where many just simply come to complain, you are most likely to see it here first.
Take this case for instance not the fault of the aircraft so what can you do about this do you add it to your list of problems if you do then yes when you include pilot error the problems get much bigger.

The truth and I know you fly RC Heli , I had been building quadcoptors for over 15 years and I can tell you that without technology they are almost impossible to fly and much more difficult than helis  or small remote AC.

Technology allowed for the masses to be able to fly these and that’s what we see now, but with so many people flying them it is inevitable that many will crash and some will have tech problems, but the vast amount of people using them don’t have these problems, they do after all even with the tech need a certain amount of savvy.

If you take this case her simply reading the manual about taking off close to magnetic interference would have prevented this crash, and you can read so many other similar crashes here on this forum that could simply have been avoided.

This was a pretty common case we see here compass problem caused by OP taking off close to his car getting magnetic interference, but on a thread like this we have people like hedgetrimmer constantly trying to throw a spanner in the works, reality is looking at the very short log and from what the OP has explained regarding envoirment it was easy to solve and it seems OP thought this also.
It’s simple only really two things can effect your compass 1/ Interference or 2/ it’s broke, and unless somebody got inside the unit and broke it then 2 is highly unlikely so 1 is the clear favorite, and just because the very short 3rd party log didn’t report it and IMO would have if log was longer doesn’t mean it wasn’t there, it was 100% there and is very typical of what we see around here in other similar cases.

More reliability yes if it had would of course be great but is the technology there yet and is it affordable in these small drones, almost all dji drones work with the latest available technology that was around at the time, and it is improving all the time, I remember when Mavic Pro was first released we had this forum covered with problems from all sides, but now with MavAir I see a very small amount of problems, so maybe this is progress.
2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ill try and timeline below. I was talking while flying point out the problems but I guess screen record doesn't grab external audio. If you goto the actual youtube video youll be able to click on the timestamps.

First off dji doesn’t know that Aircraft was placed beside on top of interference, but you can easily see the compass heading change without movement of IMU in the .dat file so they know there is interference on the compass. That one is pretty simple to work out, we on the other hand can see only from text file in phantomhelp compass error. We also know that only two things can go wrong to get compass error 1/ interference 2/ it’s broke, this would also be easily determined in the .dat file.

We see plenty of logs around here regarding compass problems caused on the ground but aircraft can still take off, this problem is clearly documented in your manual, it warns and includes warning icon, Not to take off close to anything that might cause interference to compass, if this warning was heeded we would not be talking about this today period.

(First compass error came at 6.1 seconds) that’s what you see in phantomhelp log not .dat file, one thing we all know is phantomhelp does not record last seconds of a crash, why, simply because it can’t download link to data fast enough, so unless after crash drone is still on and motors running we will never see the end of flight in phantomhelp log, so phantomhelp can tell you something’s but not everything.

You then go on to explain how Aircraft just flies away and nothing could be done, but we can all see for a full 10 seconds it was within 2 ft of the homepoint and had spent at least 4 seconds giving compass warnings. And first movements from aircraft was from controller and it wasn’t to try landing , at six feet in the air unless OP is only 3ft high it would have been pretty easy to just hand catch it, but OP was still trying to fly his aircraft and this can be seen by stick movements in the log, but you just ignored them.

RTH well this can be completely dismissed it shows nowhere in the flight log that it was initiated, whether because it was not held for long enough, it just wasn’t iniated so couldn’t respond.

This case is very familiar around here and always results in the same outcome only differences we might see is more data due to longer flight.
You might not be able to resign yourself to this being caused by magnetic interference, but that’s what happened and it is very clear that is what caused this crash, and nothing points to anything else causing this crash. You can continue to say this didn’t happen that didn’t happen but you can’t tell us what did happen.
2018-5-5
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-5 03:19
The fact that this is the place where many just simply come to complain, you are most likely to see it here first.
Take this case for instance not the fault of the aircraft so what can you do about this do you add it to your list of problems if you do then yes when you include pilot error the problems get much bigger.

I am going to repeat it one more time: compass is not essential for the IMU and hence the Attitude mode to work. Especially when flight controller diagnoses compass as faulty. This means that in this particular case there had been no reasons for the aircraft to have gone that nuts. So it WAS a fault in the aircraft no matter what DJI or you say. DJI just don't want to take the responsibility. And the fault was that the aircraft apparently continued relying on malfunctioning sensors, didn't enter Attitude mode and didn't even provide any means for the pilot to regain control in Attitude mode. Attitude mode in a situation like this is much better than what this Mavic did. That's my point.
2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

asaw Posted at 2018-5-5 06:09
I am going to repeat it one more time: compass is not essential for the IMU and hence the Attitude mode to work. Especially when flight controller diagnoses compass as faulty. This means that in this particular case there had been no reasons for the aircraft to have gone that nuts. So it WAS a fault in the aircraft no matter what DJI or you say. DJI just don't want to take the responsibility. And the fault was that the aircraft apparently continued relying on malfunctioning sensors, didn't enter Attitude mode and didn't even provide any means for the pilot to regain control in Attitude mode. Attitude mode in a situation like this is much better than what this Mavic did. That's my point.

Again your totally wrong we have seen this so many times, you are reading from phantom Help log, dji are reading from .dat file which carries much more information, you like your friend hedge trimmers have completely ignored all stick movements made by controller, you only know from very short log on phantom Help log, if this log was longer as we have seen in many similar cases we would see Atti mode pop up along with several IMU and yaw errors.
The .dat file carries much more information than phantom Help so all of what I said would be recorded and aircraft acted with sudden movements initially started by controller shifting sticks, and for a period of time continually pushing sticks , in your manual you will read about what happens in this situation. And we can see similar in all compass interference cases, the only failsafe in this situation is limit of 16ft altitude and eventually aircraft will go to Atti mode.
So it’s not a malfunction of the aircraft it happens in all these situations exactly the same way, can it be improved I’m sure with better technology over time we may see better redundancy and improved technology. But for now it was what it is, so no use in telling us what it should be, because it’s not. Nothing that happened in this crash could not have been avoided if correct procedure and due diligence was adhered to. Again just like your friend you seem to know that Aircraft malfunctioned without OP input in any way but if your going to say it then explain it, explain how it reacted fully 100% to stick movements each one correct but never enough to counteract aircrafts involuntary movements because of faulty compass ,and explain it on the basis of the working components of this Mavic Pro, not on speculation of what you think should happen, you have obviously never flown one of these aircraft in Atti mode at 6 feet close to a mountain in the pitch dark and making small tippy stick movements will not help as your manual explains you Aircraft cannot Auto brake in these situations and wrong movements by controller will only increase your problems,it’s fairly typical of you and hedge trimmer, when it doesn’t go like you thought it would to accuse dji of being underhanded laughable and ridiculous.
They call it crying over spilt milk.

In regards to compass and IMU I have already explained what occurs in these aircraft and it’s these aircraft we are discussing, what you think and how it is Aer two completely different things. As I explained in earlier post these quads without tech working are much harder to fly than helis.
2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

asaw Posted at 2018-5-5 06:09
I am going to repeat it one more time: compass is not essential for the IMU and hence the Attitude mode to work. Especially when flight controller diagnoses compass as faulty. This means that in this particular case there had been no reasons for the aircraft to have gone that nuts. So it WAS a fault in the aircraft no matter what DJI or you say. DJI just don't want to take the responsibility. And the fault was that the aircraft apparently continued relying on malfunctioning sensors, didn't enter Attitude mode and didn't even provide any means for the pilot to regain control in Attitude mode. Attitude mode in a situation like this is much better than what this Mavic did. That's my point.

Watch it , it carefully explains exactly what I’ve been saying. And now updated to Mavic Pro . It’s also about how these aircraft work not about how you would like them to work.

2018-5-5
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-5 07:12
Again your totally wrong we have seen this so many times, you are reading from phantom Help log, dji are reading from .dat file which carries much more information, you like your friend hedge trimmers have completely ignored all stick movements made by controller, you only know from very short log on phantom Help log, if this log was longer as we have seen in many similar cases we would see Atti mode pop up along with several IMU and yaw errors.
The .dat file carries much more information than phantom Help so all of what I said would be recorded and aircraft acted with sudden movements initially started by controller shifting sticks, and for a period of time continually pushing sticks , in your manual you will read about what happens in this situation. And we can see similar in all compass interference cases, the only failsafe in this situation is limit of 16ft altitude and eventually aircraft will go to Atti mode.
So it’s not a malfunction of the aircraft it happens in all these situations exactly the same way, can it be improved I’m sure with better technology over time we may see better redundancy and improved technology. But for now it was what it is, so no use in telling us what it should be, because it’s not. Nothing that happened in this crash could not have been avoided if correct procedure and due diligence was adhered to. Again just like your friend you seem to know that Aircraft malfunctioned without OP input in any way but if your going to say it then explain it, explain how it reacted fully 100% to stick movements each one correct but never enough to counteract aircrafts involuntary movements because of faulty compass ,and explain it on the basis of the working components of this Mavic Pro, not on speculation of what you think should happen, you have obviously never flown one of these aircraft in Atti mode at 6 feet close to a mountain in the pitch dark and making small tippy stick movements will not help as your manual explains you Aircraft cannot Auto brake in these situations and wrong movements by controller will only increase your problems,it’s fairly typical of you and hedge trimmer, when it doesn’t go like you thought it would to accuse dji of being underhanded laughable and ridiculous.

He explained... Your own understanding of things you try to "explain" is too vague to try to educate others. You don't get even the basic concepts right. Your posts are 90% gibberish, that's why they are so verbose. Their only purpose is to entangle and hide everything in smoke. A person who can't tell yaw from roll and insisting that a quadcopter flies like a fixed-wing aircraft rather than helicopter should not educate people.
2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

asaw Posted at 2018-5-5 07:50
He explained... Your own understanding of things you try to "explain" is too vague to try to educate others. You don't get even the basic concepts right. Your posts are 90% gibberish, that's why they are so verbose. Their only purpose is to entangle and hide everything in smoke. A person who can't tell yaw from roll and insisting that a quadcopter flies like a fixed-wing aircraft rather than helicopter should not educate people.

Again I expect you now realize your information was totally wrong your accusations were totally unfounded. It’s easy to throw stones without trying to explain. And if you go back on this thread you will see your many posts which were totally made up and full of horse sh#t.
And what’s more we have seen no explanation from you as to what might have happened, simply because everything you said was wrong, and I have shown you this, so hopefully this has explained what you failed to understand in the first place,
2018-5-5
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-5 08:11
Again I expect you now realize your information was totally wrong your accusations were totally unfounded. It’s easy to throw stones without trying to explain. And if you go back on this thread you will see your many posts which were totally made up and full of horse sh#t.
And what’s more we have seen no explanation from you as to what might have happened, simply because everything you said was wrong, and I have shown you this, so hopefully this has explained what you failed to understand in the first place,

NO!  The video that you referenced basically says that when the drone detects compass error (which it did in this case) it goes into the next available flight mode. Attitude mode in this case. It didn't happen. That is one problem. And another problem is that the pilot is unable to enter Attitude mode manually. Nothing in this video contradicts what I wrote here (apart from the statement that compass is somehow essential for RTH to work, which may be the case with DJI drones, but is not generally true).
2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

asaw Posted at 2018-5-5 08:42
NO!  The video that you referenced basically says that when the drone detects compass error (which it did in this case) it goes into the next available flight mode. Attitude mode in this case. It didn't happen. That is one problem. And another problem is that the pilot is unable to enter Attitude mode manually. Nothing in this video contradicts what I wrote here (apart from the statement that compass is somehow essential for RTH to work, which may be the case with DJI drones, but is not generally true).

Again and particularly someone from a heli background you haven’t even considered TBE, I reckon if you check this out you might think very different about this crash, I also mentioned this in one of my earlier post as a possibility, you don’t know it didn’t go to Atti mode all you know is what you have seen in the very short phantom log which we know has lots of missing information like the crash.
I think you will find that with dji having 80% of worlds drone market RTH procedure is in fact general for these type of drones, and I think if you look at yuncee, autel you will find similar systems.

I’m not to sure but if you watched OP’s other flights with new Mavic but I have and I’m almost certain that Atti mode is not going to help him.
Trouble with Atti mode switch on these drones which are sold to so many newbies to the drone world is it would almost certainly cause many more crashes than we have now, in this situation Atti mode would have made no difference unless to get aircraft to the floor ASAP but we know that OP never considered this.
Atti mode is useful when you lose gps in normal circumstances which is very different to loosing gps because of data conflict, and this type of Atti mode which comes on automatically , and when gps returns it will automatically go back to gps mode, for those struggling to maintain Atti and BTW this is the same for all dji drones whether you have a switch or not,  this can is very helpful, if you had a switch you would not be aware of gps returning if you switch off from gps. So for some having a switch could potentially cause many more problems and there is no need for a manual switch, in this situation, for professional flyers who may at times need to fly in Atti mode this is available on other dji drones but not spark Mavic or MavAir .

Although I’m still not 100% sure I believe there are slight difference with the new directional compass in Mavic Air.
2018-5-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

asaw Posted at 2018-5-5 07:50
He explained... Your own understanding of things you try to "explain" is too vague to try to educate others. You don't get even the basic concepts right. Your posts are 90% gibberish, that's why they are so verbose. Their only purpose is to entangle and hide everything in smoke. A person who can't tell yaw from roll and insisting that a quadcopter flies like a fixed-wing aircraft rather than helicopter should not educate people.

You hit on another aspect of the problems.  

A few self-proclaimed experts lecturing people like '2wenty' about this or that, yet don't know difference between Roll and Rudder.  Or preaching about something, but can't back it up.  If they do provide a link their own link sometimes counters what they proclaimed or does not apply.  Along with them screeching about read the manual without quoting from it or providing page and paragraph numbers.  Worse when people go looking in manual for what was claimed, they find Bupkis.  

If anyone dares point out flaws in those few self-proclaimed experts' proclamtions, those few get their feathers ruffled, and go into personal attack mode or spout jibberish.

These few do not help anyone.  Instead they leave those like '2wenty' turned off to DJI & DJI's products.  In some cases those self-proclaimed expertise's ''advice'' can lead a person in to damging a drone or possible a drone flyway that causes property damage.
2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-5 09:38
You hit on another aspect of the problems.  

A few self-proclaimed experts lecturing people like '2wenty' about this or that, yet don't know difference between Roll and Rudder.  Or preaching about something, but can't back it up.  If they do provide a link their own link sometimes counters what they proclaimed or does not apply.  Along with them screeching about read the manual without quoting from it or providing page and paragraph numbers.  Worse when people go looking in manual for what was claimed, they find Bupkis.  

I know perfectly what pitch and roll is and you know I do read the thread properly.

I was one of the first to offer analysis on what happened to OP’s drone and with that analysis I also offered help in combatting this kind of thing in the future.

Read my post.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=260008

You on the other hand offered the OP false hope that in the end just proved to be wrong.  Which served no purpose and came with ridiculous explanations.
You spent the rest of your time back and forth trying to disprove what I said was wrong, but you couldn’t and ultimately you were proven wrong and made look silly, you also continue to do the same on many other threads here, which is of no help to anyone.

I don’t think I turned anyone off dji products, remember it was you who said and are still saying 100% dji’s fault, so when it doesn’t turn out like you said what then ?

As regards reading the manual , I never told anyone to read the manual but will always point out what is in the manual if I think it will help. And if I said something that’s wrong about what’s in the manual then by all means point it out.

This isn’t about you or me, but about helping the OP understand what happened and advising how it might be prevented, it’s not about telling someone that placing your drone on rebar is ok because you tried it and nothing went wrong, that’s just bad information and serves no purpose and that’s the kind of advice you prefer to give to forum members here.
2018-5-5
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-5 09:28
Again and particularly someone from a heli background you haven’t even considered TBE, I reckon if you check this out you might think very different about this crash, I also mentioned this in one of my earlier post as a possibility, you don’t know it didn’t go to Atti mode all you know is what you have seen in the very short phantom log which we know has lots of missing information like the crash.
I think you will find that with dji having 80% of worlds drone market RTH procedure is in fact general for these type of drones, and I think if you look at yuncee, autel you will find similar systems.

I haven't considered TBE because it is a stabilization issue. And there are different levels of stabilization corresponding to different flight modes. If this Mavic had such a stabilization issue in Atti mode (which manifested itself in the way described in the OP) it would at least react to pilot's input, which it didn't.
2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

asaw Posted at 2018-5-5 10:32
I haven't considered TBE because it is a stabilization issue. And there are different levels of stabilization corresponding to different flight modes. If this Mavic had such a stabilization issue in Atti mode (which manifested itself in the way described in the OP) it would at least react to pilot's input, which it didn't.

It did react to OP’s stick movements this is clearly shown in flight log but stick movements were to small anyone flying in Atti mode will tell you you need to be 100% continually on stick movements, but in this situation the best op could have done was right stick full up to try to land, and he never did this.
2018-5-5
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-5 10:55
It did react to OP’s stick movements this is clearly shown in flight log but stick movements were to small anyone flying in Atti mode will tell you you need to be 100% continually on stick movements, but in this situation the best op could have done was right stick full down to try to land, and he never did this.

In Atti mode you only need to compensate for the wind or drone's own downwash-induced movements. In this mode drone's built-in flight controller does all the stabilization relative to the horizon. No need to jerk sticks all the time like with those 3-D RC helicopters that only stabilize angle velocities.
I didn't see anything in the log that would suggest the drone reacted to input. I remember it drew a smooth arch and crashed into mountainside. Had it reacted to input the arch wouldn't have been so smooth.
2018-5-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-5 10:21
I know perfectly what pitch and roll is and you know I do read the thread properly.

I was one of the first to offer analysis on what happened to OP’s drone and with that analysis I also offered help in combatting this kind of thing in the future.

Hallmark007 -- it’s not about telling someone that placing your drone on rebar is ok  because you tried it and nothing went wrong, that’s just bad information  and serves no purpose and that’s the kind of advice you prefer to give  to forum members here.

You have made yet another claim.  Post were I made that statement.
2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

asaw Posted at 2018-5-5 11:20
In Atti mode you only need to compensate for the wind or drone's own downwash-induced movements. In this mode drone's built-in flight controller does all the stabilization relative to the horizon. No need to jerk sticks all the time like with those 3-D RC helicopters that only stabilize angle velocities.
I didn't see anything in the log that would suggest the drone reacted to input. I remember it drew a smooth arch and crashed into mountainside. Had it reacted to input the arch wouldn't have been so smooth.

Which is exactly what will happen with TBE. then you didn’t read anything into stick movements you can see clearly stick movements particularly at end of log right stick down aircraft up this can only happen with controller input.

2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

[quote]HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-5 11:23
Hallmark007 -- it’s not about telling someone that placing your drone on rebar is ok  because you tried it and nothing went wrong, that’s just bad information  and serves no purpose and that’s the kind of advice you prefer to give  to forum members here.

You have made yet another claim.  Post were I made that

Blah...."........
2018-5-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-5 10:21

Hallmark007 - You spent the rest of your time back and forth trying to disprove what I said was wrong

Because you could not back your claims when challanged, you contined your history of stating things that were wrong or blowing-smoke, and rather than respond polietly you went with your typical snarky put downs.  A 'Compass Error' in log does not automatically mean Magnetic Interference.  Compass itself could have failed, firmare running on Mavic hit bug (gee like firmware has never cause a DJI product to have a problem.)  What is really bothering you based on you past snark put downs to me and others is; I and others dared challenge your proclamation with facts that ran counter too.

As for reply from DJI, that lost credibility when they respond with: 'User took off from a metallic object causing immediate compass error.'  DJI provided no evidence to their conclusion.  We know it runs counter to what '2twenty' stated.  DJU's reply also says 'immediate', which by logs is not correct.  Additionally, the 'immediate compass error' does not fit with your explanation of how it could have happened.  From what you were saying, the drone had to leave (aka time and distance) area with (supposed) Magnetic Intererence to end up with 'Compass Error'.  

Take note: DJI said nothing about drone pilot ignoring Warnings / Alerts about Magnetic Interference.  Does that not send up a Red-flag with you?   From drone log we can look at, there is no warning or alert about Magnetic Interference.  But we sure do see where drone recorded its Return Home point and is still in P-GPS mode, even after it gets 'Compass Error'.  That should have sent up a Red-flag with you.

Unless DJI can offer defintive evidence drone was flown from a metallic  object (that caused magentic interference), DJI needs to make things right with customer.

Assuming DJI can offer such evidence, then DJI needs to  explain why their drone and firmware failed to detect AND alert pilot to said  Magnetic Interference.  
Along with working on Firmware fix.  In meantime DJI needs to issue warnings (and add-on to manual) that makes it clear, that unknown / hidden ferrous metal can cause magnetic interference that is not detected, system will not show any problems until drone has moved out of influence of magnetic intereference.  At which point drone will get a Compass Error, resutling in drone ignoring GPS, and dangerously switching to ATTI mode without warning Pilot - as shown by log, drone stayed in P-GPS mode.

2018-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules