7894 236 2018-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-5 11:35
[quote]HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-5 11:23
Hallmark007 -- it’s not about telling someone that placing your drone on rebar is ok  because you tried it and nothing went wrong, that’s just bad information  and serves no purpose and that’s the kind of advice you prefer to give  to forum members here.

Let this serve as warning to others of hallmark007.

hallmark007:  Blah...."........

Above is Hallmark007's response to my request that he post evidence backing his accusation of me as follows: 'placing your drone on rebar is ok  because you tried it and nothing went wrong'

Here is what I did say:
I moved Mavic Pro slightly, then did another power cycling, this time GO 4 App reported Red Compass Error.  I am guessing I had put Mavic down near rebar or cross point of metal mesh in concrete.  As I moved Mavic Pro back about 2-foot away diaganionally, the Red Compass Error message went away, again GO 4 was read to fly, and Red Arrow on map was pointing correct direction.

2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-5 12:16
Hallmark007 - You spent the rest of your time back and forth trying to disprove what I said was wrong

Because you could not back your claims when challanged, you contined your history of stating things that were wrong or blowing-smoke, and rather than respond polietly you went with your typical snarky put downs.  A 'Compass Error' in log does not automatically mean Magnetic Interference.  Compass itself could have failed, firmare running on Mavic hit bug (gee like firmware has never cause a DJI product to have a problem.)  What is really bothering you based on you past snark put downs to me and others is; I and others dared challenge your proclamation with facts that ran counter too.

Again my advice is watch the video I posted it clearly explains what happens what warnings you may or may not receive.
If compass moved on the ground then this would show in .dat file that’s how dji know that compass got interference on the ground and video completely 100% backs this up, you are clearly pi##ing into the wind here.
Again your manual clearly tells you where you should NOT take off from, if you were always to get warning it would say in the manual but as video clearly explains this will not always happen.

You have seen many times here with logs aircraft at 200 ft experience magnetic interference compass problem, do you really think that magnetic interference is floating around at 200ftif you do it’s delusional.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know from both log and story that magnetic interference caused this crash and that’s my opinion and the result from dji who have had the .dat file to view.

BS the compass was broke, if it was this also would show in dat file and 100% op would have got a warning.

You have now ended up with the thinking that somehow this is a dji conspiracy .

As I said on previous occasions if op had have chosen correct place to take off he would not have had interference and aircraft would not have crashed,
2018-5-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-5 10:55
It did react to OP’s stick movements this is clearly shown in flight log but stick movements were to small anyone flying in Atti mode will tell you you need to be 100% continually on stick movements, but in this situation the best op could have done was right stick full up to try to land, and he never did this.

hallmark007:  but in this situation the best op could have done was right stick full up to try to land, and he never did this.

hallmark007: It is extremely difficult to control, correct action was to pull 100% on left stick until aircraft hit the ground.
You can see in your log you moving right stick to try to bring Aircraft  back to you I presume, but these stick movements were short and not  effective.

2wenty: The reason for stick inputs being short is this was at night and when it tool off it went over where the cliff was. The part where it leaves the roads is a straight drop off. I was worried it was going to be lost. I initially tried to correct and nothing happened.

Most anyone can understand why short stick control was used in this case.  The drone is flying near a cliff edge, and drone is flying erratically - on its own.
Always so easy to Monday night quarterback the game played on Sunday, especially when you ignore flags on field.
2018-5-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-5 12:37
Again my advice is watch the video I posted it clearly explains what happens what warnings you may or may not receive.
If compass moved on the ground then this would show in .dat file that’s how dji know that compass got interference on the ground and video completely 100% backs this up, you are clearly pi##ing into the wind here.
Again your manual clearly tells you where you should NOT take off from, if you were always to get warning it would say in the manual but as video clearly explains this will not always happen.

Again your manual clearly tells you where you should NOT take off from,

Page number(s) and paragraph(s).  Please

2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-5 12:45
hallmark007:  but in this situation the best op could have done was right stick full up to try to land, and he never did this.

hallmark007: It is extremely difficult to control, correct action was to pull 100% on left stick until aircraft hit the ground.

Again everything back to front, I clearly said op used the sticks by being effective it crashed I’m not sure you find this effective.
2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-5 12:32
Let this serve as warning to others of hallmark007.

hallmark007:  Blah...."........

Post the unchanged link.
2018-5-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-5 12:37

hallmark007: If compass moved on the ground then this would show in .dat file that’s how dji know that compass got interference on the ground and video completely 100% backs this up, you are clearly pi##ing into the wind here.

You want to try that one again?  What you have written is unclear.

Which compass?
Do you mean compass did not move, but should have?  Or compass did move, but should not have?

Please clarify the inference that compass movement (or no movement), while on ground proves Magentic Interference.
Then explain why such did not cause the problem to be written in log we have been look at, along with why system (Mavic / RC / SmartDevice - GO 4) did not warn drone pilot.

2018-5-5
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1672566 ft
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-5 11:32
Which is exactly what will happen with TBE. then you didn’t read anything into stick movements you can see clearly stick movements particularly at end of log right stick down aircraft up this can only happen with controller input.

https://youtu.be/BfaRpNp-__k

This video describes P-GPS mode and not Atti mode. And thus it supports the assumption that the drone stayed in P-GPS mode with the malfunctioning compass. While your other video states that it should have gone into a lower level mode upon detecting a compass error (which makes sense too). So TBE in P-GPS occurs when drone is unaware of compass failure and continues to rely on it.
What's really bad is that it is not officially documented how these drones are actually programmed to fly in such scenario.
2018-5-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-5 12:56
Post the unchanged link.

More of your SPIN, Twists, Denying, Side-tracking, and/or Lying.
2018-5-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-5 12:55
Again everything back to front, I clearly said op used the sticks by being effective it crashed I’m not sure you find this effective.

Your posts are making less and less sense.  You are not helping yourself.
Continue if you must.  But don't blame me, when you come to your senses.
2018-5-5
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-4 15:49
Your right once again, of all the participants around here you are indeed the most courteous and helpful, I really don’t know how this forum manages without you when you go missing, but having said that you always come back to brighten the place up with your helpful quips and kind thoughts.

You have nailed it so wonderfully, thank you for this!
2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-5 12:58
hallmark007: If compass moved on the ground then this would show in .dat file that’s how dji know that compass got interference on the ground and video completely 100% backs this up, you are clearly pi##ing into the wind here.

You want to try that one again?  What you have written is unclear.

On the ground compass moved . You still have offered no other reason why aircraft crashed or got compass error except to say compass was broke how ridiculous in the face of everything you are.
2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

asaw Posted at 2018-5-5 12:58
This video describes P-GPS mode and not Atti mode. And thus it supports the assumption that the drone stayed in P-GPS mode with the malfunctioning compass. While your other video states that it should have gone into a lower level mode upon detecting a compass error (which makes sense too). So TBE in P-GPS occurs when drone is unaware of compass failure and continues to rely on it.
What's really bad is that it is not officially documented how these drones are actually programmed to fly in such scenario.

Your almost the same as hedge trimmer you will say anything but accept that this crash was clearly and overwhelmingly caused by magnetic interference of the compass, whatever happens next is always up for discussion, but this was caused by op and that’s the reason for this crash.

I believe dji won’t disclose everything simply because it would not make business sense to divulge to the world how exactly their craft works .
But some common sense should prevail here, it’s clear that hedge trimmers blood pressure is going to blow.
2018-5-5
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-5 14:03
Your almost the same as hedge trimmer you will say anything but accept that this crash was clearly and overwhelmingly caused by magnetic interference of the compass, whatever happens next is always up for discussion, but this was caused by op and that’s the reason for this crash.

I believe dji won’t disclose everything simply because it would not make business sense to divulge to the world how exactly their craft works .

I don't deny that magnetic interference could have been the cause of this undefined behaviour. What I say is what common sense suggests: there should be no undefined behaviour in situations like this. That's why they have double and triple redundancy in critical systems and instruments in aviation. And these drones are actually no different. They have all the needed hardware. But it seems that the software is unable to handle it well enough to rule out undefined behaviour.
2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

asaw Posted at 2018-5-5 12:58
This video describes P-GPS mode and not Atti mode. And thus it supports the assumption that the drone stayed in P-GPS mode with the malfunctioning compass. While your other video states that it should have gone into a lower level mode upon detecting a compass error (which makes sense too). So TBE in P-GPS occurs when drone is unaware of compass failure and continues to rely on it.

While it’s not documented, if you look at other logs here you will see that with similar symptoms aircraft almost always acts in exactly the same way, so one thing we do know is that when we see this the outcome and reaction of aircraft are invariably the same and dji’s report is also consistently the same, and that’s why it’s not very difficult to work these things out.

But conspiracy theories that’s ridiculous, we see many times on this forum dji awarding warranty when it’s the correct thing to do.
2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

asaw Posted at 2018-5-5 14:23
I don't deny that magnetic interference could have been the cause of this undefined behaviour. What I say is what common sense suggests: there should be no undefined behaviour in situations like this. That's why they have double and triple redundancy in critical systems and instruments in aviation. And these drones are actually no different. They have all the needed hardware. But it seems that the software is unable to handle it well enough to rule out undefined behaviour.

My argument was never about what other people think this tech should do, my argument was what this tech does in this craft, and it’s similar in all dji drones, I fly a matrice and apart from extra redundancy it’s technology is basically the same, and I also believe that other manufacturers use a similar technology.

There are no guarantees on all warnings and that you will get a warning for every fault, but you are heavily warned in your manual when you receive a warning you should land immediately.
2018-5-5
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-5 14:37
While it’s not documented, if you look at other logs here you will see that with similar symptoms aircraft almost always acts in exactly the same way, so one thing we do know is that when we see this the outcome and reaction of aircraft are invariably the same and dji’s report is also consistently the same, and that’s why it’s not very difficult to work these things out.

But conspiracy theories that’s ridiculous, we see many times on this forum dji awarding warranty when it’s the correct thing to do.

Consistent toilet bowl effect you mean? That's no better than undefined behaviour because it makes aircraft uncontrollable and dangerous.
2018-5-5
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-5 14:45
My argument was never about what other people think this tech should do, my argument was what this tech does in this craft, and it’s similar in all dji drones, I fly a matrice and apart from extra redundancy it’s technology is basically the same, and I also believe that other manufacturers use a similar technology.

There are no guarantees on all warnings and that you will get a warning for every fault, but you are heavily warned in your manual when you receive a warning you should land immediately.

So, back to our situation. You say it is all consistent. Then there is the question. The aircraft takes off and detects a compass error, what shall it do: stay in P-GPS mode or switch to Atti mode (like the video you've referenced here suggests)?
2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

asaw Posted at 2018-5-5 14:53
So, back to our situation. You say it is all consistent. Then there is the question. The aircraft takes off and detects a compass error, what shall it do: stay in P-GPS mode or switch to Atti mode (like the video you've referenced here suggests)?

It will go to Atti mode, this was an extremely short flight I also believe there is a lag with data being fed to the phone and this is one of the reasons we didn’t see this happening, dji will tell you themselves they don’t and won’t use phantomhelp logs to view what occurred in flight when Aircraft is lost, the only aircraft I have seen somewhat of a difference is the new MavAir, I’m not sure if this has something to do with new directional compass but I think it may have. But I haven’t seen many problems like this with MavAir,
The video I referenced was from a friend and he certainly knows dji drones.
2018-5-5
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

I can only HOPE, there is an answer to this question to Hallmark.....you state above:  "The video I referenced was from a friend and he certainly knows dji drones."

Would you PLEASE,  ask your knowledgeable friend what happens to redundant electronic devices when there is NOT enough voltage to drive ALL the circuits?  When primary power goes to the motors.

That's it....simple question.  Please try not to dance, belittle, pound, or otherwise be derogatory toward me or anyone else......just please answer the question.

Thank you so much
Randy

2018-5-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-4-25 18:04
Gentlemen,  Please also note,  since we have NOT done this yet....Mathmatics,  no OPINION HERE.

Fully charged battery = 12.6vdc

Fully charged battery = 12.6vdc  Recorded Battery voltage in the log  10.852vdc
That puts this quad in the air with  13.873% battery power

Expanding on this possibility.

Following from HERE
I took a partially charged battery that had been  stored for 5 days and put it in the P3, after switching on (unarmed) it  showed 66% charged battery, voltage per cell was 3.98V on all cells  except for cell#1 that was 3.99 (negligible difference)
  I  brought up the Battery monitoring screen (to keep an eye on the  battery) and to my surprise less than a minute gentle hovering (no  drastic moves) into the flight the Voltage very quickly Dropped lower  than it should be to around 3.58V and Yellow lined! - Note Battery is at  61% Capacity and only 1:13 minutes into the flight drops significantly  Voltage Low in a very short time and stayed yellow.

It has been suggested in same thread that Percent of battery charge is based on alogrithm that uses power in (charging) vs. power out (discharging).

Follwing from HERE
It's important to monitor the battery voltage in each cell of the DJI smart battery. Be aware of the following:
1) Monitor the battery to ensure all cells maintain a similar voltage.
2) Do not allow any of the battery cells to drop below 3.3V.
3) Consider landing your Mavic when (or before) the first battery cell reaches 3.4V.
4) Your battery will shut off mid-flight if the voltage drops below 3.0V.

Following (with some clarifications) Percent vs. Voltage from HERE
100% 4.2-4.28v
90%  4.13v
80%  4.06v
70%  3.99v
60%  3.92v
50%  3.85v
40%  3.78v
30%  3.71v
20%  3.64v
10%  3.57v                                                

From the log, ending voltages for three battery packs would put percent just above 15%.

Unless DJI chimes in, it will be hard to know what their percentage is based on.  
2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-5-5 17:42
I can only HOPE, there is an answer to this question to Hallmark.....you state above:  "The video I referenced was from a friend and he certainly knows dji drones."

Would you PLEASE,  ask your knowledgeable friend what happens to redundant electronic devices when there is NOT enough voltage to drive ALL the circuits?  When primary power goes to the motors.

Only thing we know about the battery is it was out of warranty not charged 100% , over a year old, and most important was the full and whole responsibility of the OP, as we are all responsible for out batteries particularly when over 6 months old and out of warranty. And showing battery voltage on screen is more important than histogram.
But your battery theory in this case is not right and was not the direct cause of this crash.

This thread is done, unfortunately there are still some who want to continue to flog a dead horse, I’m not talking about you, but your topic about battery would be far better discussed in a separate thread, where it won’t conflict with what obviously happened here.
I gave my opinion first on this thread, only to have it continually challenged and mocked by the likes of hedge trimmer , who for some reason cannot let it go,  this was my analysis after carefully looking at flight log, https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=260008 , where I also go on to try to help OP with a view to flying in the future, I have seen many cases here and at times have helped users in their pursuit of warranty.  And as I write this reply we now see hedge trimmer is clinging on to the hope that the battery caused this crash, something he totally dismissed earlier in the thread, now he has to go to threads back as far as 2016 which says a lot if he has to go back that far to find what he is now looking for, even his friend asaw has been open enough to say that compass problem here was caused by interference , it is also the finding of dji who have had the opportunity to look at the .dat file and there was no report of faulty battery. You may well try to point to the battery which in turn will see you in the same boat as hedge trimmer in concluding that there is a conspiracy going on here with dji. So Really.

Again there are so many similar cases with magnetic interference then compass problems then aircraft drops gps then Atti mode then crash flyaway, are you saying this is not causing the crash or flyaway that as you said in earlier post “it’s always the battery” . So rather than me asking anyone for the answer to your question maybe you can show me all the cases similar to this that battery is “always the problem”

And believe me when I say I have asked others privately here what is the cause of crash here, and all have agreed with what I said and we now see dji has also said the same thing. So this is closed , open another thread I’m certain you will receive more help than on this thread.

I apologize if you got caught in the crossfire, it was not my intention when I set out to try and help on this thread.
2018-5-6
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>

30%  3.71v
20%  3.64v
10%  3.57v

Thank you Hedge!  Per your post......SO, the reported Battery Percentage was NOT 67% as per the LOG.

Again as Hallmark stated,  only DJI can tell us at what voltage and current draw does the "SYSTEM" start to drop available systems so the motors can run?

Randy
2018-5-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-6 00:50
Only thing we know about the battery is it was out of warranty not charged 100% , over a year old, and most important was the full and whole responsibility of the OP, as we are all responsible for out batteries particularly when over 6 months old and out of warranty. And showing battery voltage on screen is more important than histogram.
But your battery theory in this case is not right and was not the direct cause of this crash.

Sir Trolls-alot's - Do as I say,

but not as I do.

Troll-2.jpg
Troll-1.jpg
2018-5-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-5-6 18:23
30%  3.71v
20%  3.64v
10%  3.57v

Your welcome.  

I posted battery info to you for informative purposes.  
But Sir Trolls-alot is so insecure and paranoid, he thought I was trying to claim cause was the battery.
2018-5-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-6 19:17
Sir Trolls-alot's - Do as I say,

[view_image]

What an idiot, you waste all that time and still get almost everything wrong.
2018-5-6
Use props
AussieDow
lvl.1
Flight distance : 80115 ft
Australia

2wenty Posted at 2018-4-28 08:50
I don’t what went wrong faster, my drone flight or this thread lol.

For real though. I would like to know the way to recover a mavic gone toilet bowl mode accelerating out of control. I want to make sure this never happens again.

I would like to know how to recover this too.  This has happened a few times to me now and in different locations.  
2018-5-7
Use props
AussieDow
lvl.1
Australia

Some great information contained within the preceding pages.  Thanks for sharing the information as controversial the topic might have become.

I hope that I might be able to weigh in on the topic as well.  I had a very similar situation flying my Mavic yesterday.  I have had similar loss of control issues in the past, including one time flying into the side of a building without any input from me on the controller, but being relatively new to the Mavic, just blamed myself thinking that it might be operator issues.

I have now had this loss of control happen 4 times now.  Normally the Mavic will twitch violently and then just take off on its own accord.

Yesterday however it happened again and I am hoping that you might be able to give me some thoughts on what the problem might have been.  Please keep in mind that I am relatively new so please excuse me if my question seems silly.

The scenario went as follows:

Started drone and waited till all checks were complete, home point set and commenced the flight.
I lifted the aircraft straight up to allow it to better record the home point as has been suggested by others in other forums.
I flew the aircraft away from me and as it reached a reasonable distance I released the control.  The aircraft just continued and did not respond to my commands either to slow down or change direction.
"System error" popped up on the display of the remote control and as I selected RTH, I was informed that RTH was not available (I had always assumed that this was my failsafe should the drone fail, lose connection with the controller or determine that there was a low battery situation)
As the drone disappeared over trees and out of sight into the distance, a friend of mine yelled "climb" to which the action led to my drone being visible far in the distance.  Somehow, some time after having no control whatsoever, I was able to return the drone to the field and land it.
A lot was happening at the time and apart from the "System Error" that appeared on the remote control, I didn't notice any error messages on the DJI App, however noted the following logged in the app after landing.
I noticed the following in the "Warning" log on the DJI app (iPhone).  
*14:30:27 Home Point Recorded.  RTH Altitude 30m
* 14:30:56 Warning - IMU Redundancy Switch
* 14:31:02 Warning - Compass Error.Exit P-GPS mode
* 14:31:03 Warning - In Flight, working IMU encounters heading exception, please switch to atti mode if craft behaves abnormally
* 14:31:07 Warning - Weak GPS signal.  Positional accuracy may be compromised.  Please fly with caution.
* 14:31:30 Obstacle avoidance will be disabled in landing.

Are these errors similar to the ones experienced with the original lost drone?  Are they explainable or do the represent a further issue with the drone?

There were other people flying there too, taking off and landing from the same area and flying within the same area as well.  They were flying a SPARK and it did not encounter any similar such errors.

Thanks so much for your input.

Cheers

2018-5-7
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Russia

AussieDow Posted at 2018-5-7 04:32
Some great information contained within the preceding pages.  Thanks for sharing the information as controversial the topic might have become.

I hope that I might be able to weigh in on the topic as well.  I had a very similar situation flying my Mavic yesterday.  I have had similar loss of control issues in the past, including one time flying into the side of a building without any input from me on the controller, but being relatively new to the Mavic, just blamed myself thinking that it might be operator issues.

The messages about IMU suggest that your Mavic had more significant issues than those described by the OP. IMU is a more critical unit for drones to fly than compass or anything else. One question: did you do IMU calibration on your Mavic?
Anyway, if I were you I'd open up a support case with DJI, send them the ".DAT" flight log from you Mavic and see what they say.
2018-5-7
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

2018-5-7
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>

AussieDow,

I have a P4Pro,  not a Mavic.......1 time,  flying from a shopping center parking lot, I sat down the AC, it started getting sats, and at 11 it stated the HOME Point was recorded.  At about the same time the READY to FLY GPS was GREEN on screen,  then flashed CAN NOT take off, IMU Calibration,  then went back to GREEN Ready to fly......I took off ( after about a minute ) came up to hover, and the AC just started to drift a bit.....NO STICK control, and the RED IMU was back on screen.......This was when the drone was only a few weeks old.......

I flipped to ATTI mode, and immediately landed.  Very lucky it was not windy!!   So NOW.....I have consistently waited for the RED IMU to be gone and not come up......( I believe this is the IMU "warming up" ) but have no proof other than when I wait about 1.5 to 2.5 min and the GREEN READY TO FLY stays on screen, and there's NO IMU warnings, I take off........Since doing this, and NOT taking off on the first GREEN Ready to Fly,  I have not had any flight issues.   Keep in mind,  the GREEN comes on with 10 or 11 Sats......but then the RED comes on,  then back to GREEN Ready To Fly,  then back to RED........and back to GREEN

SO, I guess what I am saying is TEST this with your drone.......for test purposes,  DON'T TAKE OFF IN THE FIRST 1.5 MIN.....see what your system does in that time frame....even leave it on the ground for the first 2 to 3 minutes taking video or notes of what the system is doing.

Randy
2018-5-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AussieDow Posted at 2018-5-7 04:32

I hope that I might be able to weigh in on the topic as well.  I had a very similar situation flying my Mavic yesterday.  I have had similar loss of control issues in the past, including one time flying into the side of a building without any input from me on the controller, but being relatively new to the Mavic, just blamed myself thinking that it might be operator issues.

They are similar to the issues in this case, one difference is it looks like your aircraft switched to redundancy IMU , the reason for this is not clear but it could have been related to compass issues and gps issues or simply that your IMU needed calibration.
You mentioned you had a previous crash this can cause IMU to go out of whack which could be the reason for switch to redundancy IMU .
I think it would not be a bad idea to get your log checked, if you try to contact a mod here they will give you instructions where to upload logs and yhey will get dji engineer to take a look at them, in the meantime I will try to explain IMU below.

IMU "Inertial measurement unit" .

As far as I see it, IMU calibration on a level surface updates a table of values the flight controller software uses as a reference for a level stationary hover. From there the craft responds predictably to flight commands.  It also likely measures any sensor noise and thermal drift so that these technical imperfections are accounted for when using IMU sensor data in flight. - this is likely why there must be no vibrations during the calibration process.

Bad IMU calibration could cause drift and attitude issues as the flight controller fights to hold the craft in what it thinks is the correct attitude as opposed to the correct physical attitude.

The IMU usually has 2 types of sensors – angle and acceleration and in turn 3 sensors of each type measuring in the X,Y and Z axis. These sensors can, through vibration, aging, impact etc, drift in their response over time and thus an IMU calibration will establish a new reference for the IMU’s level/stationary state that the flight controller can work with to restore stable flight.

Think of calibration as the bringing back into line the measured craft attitude with the true physical craft attitude.

As to how often an IMU calibration is needed, Refer to your manual ; certainly after any impact or if there are suspicions the craft can’t hover in a level attitude in a windless environment.
2018-5-7
Use props
AussieDow
lvl.1
Australia

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

I spoke with DJI and unfortunately the fellow on the phone had no idea whatsoever.  His only solution was to mail the device in.  I had been hoping for a bit of guidance or knowledge, even an answer or two as to what the issue might be.  Without being disrespectful, it appeared that he had very little knowledge about the product at all.  Is this common with the telephone technical support?

Thanks for the replies to my earlier message though - I really appreciate you reading my post and taking the time to reply.
2018-5-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

AussieDow Posted at 2018-5-8 04:18

I spoke with DJI and unfortunately the fellow on the phone had no idea whatsoever.  His only solution was to mail the device in.  I had been hoping for a bit of guidance or knowledge, even an answer or two as to what the issue might be.  Without being disrespectful, it appeared that he had very little knowledge about the product at all.  Is this common with the telephone technical support?

Without being disrespectful, it appeared that he had very little knowledge about the product at all.  Is this common with the telephone technical support?  

I can't speak about DJI's telephone technical support.  
But in general, most companies first-layer telephone technical support has very little knowledge.  Often they go through nothing but Top-10 problems and their solutions or simple flow-chart of symptoms and solutions.  

Even when you get company's highest level of support, they sometimes don't even understand how the company's system functions.  Being fair to telephone support, sometimes it is a case of them being misinformed or diagnostics they have simply don't test what needs to be tested.  Too frequently telephone support has been outsourced, and their are language barriers, along with educational limitations.
2018-5-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AussieDow Posted at 2018-5-8 04:18

I spoke with DJI and unfortunately the fellow on the phone had no idea whatsoever.  His only solution was to mail the device in.  I had been hoping for a bit of guidance or knowledge, even an answer or two as to what the issue might be.  Without being disrespectful, it appeared that he had very little knowledge about the product at all.  Is this common with the telephone technical support?

I think your best bet is to contact a moderator they will get you to sync your flight log and get an engineer to have a close look they will advise whether you need to return .
2018-5-8
Use props
AussieDow
lvl.1
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-8 10:21
I think your best bet is to contact a moderator they will get you to sync your flight log and get an engineer to have a close look they will advise whether you need to return .

Thanks Hallmark.

Silly question, but can you let me know who the moderator is please?

Thanks
2018-5-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AussieDow Posted at 2018-5-8 15:14
Thanks Hallmark.

Silly question, but can you let me know who the moderator is please?

If you go to the link below it will lead you to dji Diana , under her avatar you will see personal message click on it and leave a message regarding your problem and that you are looking for guidance/advice ask her to get back to you.
Good Luck....

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=260008
2018-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules