Mavic Pro Fix Poll
1680 24 2018-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HyLenz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

So after about a year and 45 hours logged, through the woods and powerlines and many, many, many close calls, i finally crashed hard. In the Badlands of South Dakota, there is absolutely nothing to hit for literally hundreds of miles... well, there was one thing, my RV, and I backed into it. The bird dropped about 8 feet on to the pavement. A quick visual inspection revealed marks on the gimbal/camera, so i knew it took a hit. But that was all I could see that might be wrong. Tried to start it and it failed with Gimbal Overload error. Gimbal calibration fails. Sad ride home for the next 2 days...
Sent it off to Drone Nerds in Miami as soon as I got back. Waited the 14 business days (3 weeks) for them to inform me that both back arms were bent and needed replaced. And the gimbal assembly was also dead and needed replaced. I expected the gimbal, but not the rear arms, though i could have missed them in my inspection. So that doesn't sound too bad, right? I have seen arms for sale with new motors for around $40 USD. And the gimbal/camera assembly for anywhere from $80 to $300 USD. The Nerds Want $143 for each arm and $389 for the gimbal. So with shipping it comes up to about the same as a brand new Mavic Pro Aircraft Only from DJI. DNerds did offer to waive the $60 diagnotic fee if i wanted to buy a refurbished Pro for $799. I told them to send it back. I am thinking about trying my luck replaceing the parts myself. I am pretty handy with this kind of stuff, though definately not an expert. There is a lot of help out there on you tube ect.
So, heres the question... How would you handle this situation? Would you...

Single SelectVote, Total 61 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-4-23
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

Basically had the same problems sent mine to DJI  cost me 217.00 Canadian funds so if you are an American citizen it would be less for you. And they pay the shipping.
2018-4-23
Use props
EH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 43586 ft

You may pay less $$ with DJI and end up with a refurbished drone at the end.
2018-4-23
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Send it back to DJI for repairs, no if's buts or maybe's.
2018-4-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You can buy a new Mavic - RC for that kind of money keep your other one for parts.
2018-4-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You can buy a new Mavic - RC for that kind of money keep your other one for parts.
2018-4-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Just do what you think is right.
2018-4-23
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

I would have them send it back as is.  Try your luck with fixing it your bird and buy a refurbished unit for less than $700.  I bought a refurb for $679 on Amazon(DJI Store), them and BestBuy sometimes have them for $669 but from the DJI store.  That is what I would do.  This way you are not out a MP while you can still work on yours.
2018-4-23
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

I agree with Sparks, buy a refurb (same warranty as new), tinker / fix the old MP if you can do it cheap enough? Maybe even try some mods on it. I figure if I can get a year out of a drone the rest is gravy. My MP is coming up on a year in July. All bets are off if I watch many more Mod videos on the Poo-Tube!!
2018-4-23
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Good question.
I am more then capable of fixing things. With all the DIY videos on replacing parts I probably would try to fix it myself.
It just depends on the damage.
2018-4-23
Use props
HyLenz
lvl.4
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-4-23 16:06
I agree with Sparks, buy a refurb (same warranty as new), tinker / fix the old MP if you can do it cheap enough? Maybe even try some mods on it. I figure if I can get a year out of a drone the rest is gravy. My MP is coming up on a year in July. All bets are off if I watch many more Mod videos on the Poo-Tube!!

Leaning that way. found a MP part 42 (bird and battery, no remote) for $650, NEW Original pkg...
2018-4-23
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the accident. Please kindly contact our support to start a case and send it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support. Thanks!
2018-4-23
Use props
sky6105
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

I go to You Tube  and watch how to repair the drone.
You can do it.
2018-4-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Right it off, sell the left over crap on eBay and get the Tello and MP2 if in your shoes.
2018-4-24
Use props
HyLenz
lvl.4
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-4-23 18:32
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the accident. Please kindly contact our support to start a case and send it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support. Thanks!

Will do, as soon as i get it back from Nerds. I should have sent it to DJI in the first place. But the way the US politics are these days, i felt safer keeping it within a days drive of my home. I should know better. Thanks.
2018-4-24
Use props
El Kab0ng
lvl.4
Flight distance : 156499 ft
  • >>>
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-23 15:48
I would have them send it back as is.  Try your luck with fixing it your bird and buy a refurbished unit for less than $700.  I bought a refurb for $679 on Amazon(DJI Store), them and BestBuy sometimes have them for $669 but from the DJI store.  That is what I would do.  This way you are not out a MP while you can still work on yours.

Yup.  This.  If you don't have a warranty to fix it, try fixing it yourself.  What are you going to do, break it more?  If it already doesn't fly, might as well give it a go, and get a refurbed unit if it the repairs fail.  Best of luck to you!  
2018-4-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good luck. Hope you’re back up and flying soon.
2018-4-24
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-4-23 15:20
Basically had the same problems sent mine to DJI  cost me 217.00 Canadian funds so if you are an American citizen it would be less for you. And they pay the shipping.

There has to be some type of discount available, I paid $799 tax included for my Mavic Pro brand new sealed in the box.

DJI should be prepared to replace someone's Mavic Pro with another brand new replacement, not a refurbished drone if issues are manufacturer defect?
2018-4-24
Use props
Silver Surfer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 46283 ft
United States

Another option is to sell the parts of your crashed drone on e-bay and purchase a new one with the money.
Or you can purchase the new GDU O2 Plus and wait for the Mavic Pro II to come out.
[size=1.1]This new quadcopter is 4K capable, foldable, and compact with never before seen features. Sporting one of the world’s smallest 3-axis stabilized camera gimbals, the GDU 02 Plus is a direct competition to the newly revamped DJI Mavic Pro Platinum.
[size=0.8]

New Unseen Features on the GDU 02 Plus
[size=1.1]The GDU 02 (Plus) is the first drone that can shoot videos in time lapse and in slow motion with no additional editing. It is also the first drone whose arms and propellers slide out from the main body. The arms are fortified with aviation aluminum alloy to ensure light-weight durability. The separate remote controller can be latched under the drone for additional portability. The drone and the controller all fold together into a package which looks similar to a brick.

2018-4-24
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-4-24 06:48
There has to be some type of discount available, I paid $799 tax included for my Mavic Pro brand new sealed in the box.

DJI should be prepared to replace someone's Mavic Pro with another brand new replacement, not a refurbished drone if issues are manufacturer defect?

ah David you lads are fortunate , my MP with the fly more combo 1600.00 cdn funds, plus 134.00 refresh.
2018-4-24
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-4-24 07:42
ah David you lads are fortunate , my MP with the fly more combo 1600.00 cdn funds, plus 134.00 refresh.

Yeah I paid the refurbished price for brand new Mavic Pro. Unfortunately once my Mavic Pro needed support by DJI before its Activation, I was informed that I would need to send it back for service and  repair.
2018-4-24
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

I crashed my MP. Sent it to DJI repair. Gimbal was actually hanging. Doesn’t mean you need a new gimbal. As soon as I agreed to the diagnosis and quote and paid I got my refurbished MP in 3 days.
2018-4-24
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Canada

Skip to content
Using Gmail with screen readers

Search

Gmail
COMPOSE
Labels

Inbox

Starred

Sent Mail

Drafts

Categories

municipal

personal

More labels

More
4 of 13  

[No Reply] DJI Service Quotation CAS-1635310-L8S7J9 CRM:0352000001027
personal/municipal
x

DJI Support <notification@dji.com>
Apr 13 (11 days ago)

to me

Dear Customer,

You repair service of Mavic Pro has been quoted by our repair team. Please refer to the invoice below and complete your payment via paypal.

Invoice

Customer:
Jack Gauthier
Case No:
CAS-1635310-L8S7J9
DJI Care Balance:
0.00(USD)
Quote Date:
04-13-18
Remarks:
NON WARRANTY: Dear Customer, Unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. Damage not caused by product Dear Customer malfunction. We'll either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received. For more information, please visit (http://www.dji.com/service/policy) - DJI North America

Item
Quantity
Unit Price(USD)
Total Price(USD)
Middle Frame Module
Gimbal Vibration Damping Module
Upper Cover
Lower Shell
Rear Right Motor Arm
Repair Service Fee
65.00/H
Freight:

Total Amount:

DJI Care deduction:

Total Payment:

Skip to content
Using Gmail with screen readers

Search

Gmail
COMPOSE
Labels

Inbox

Starred

Sent Mail

Drafts

Categories

municipal

personal

More labels

More
4 of 13  

[No Reply] DJI Service Quotation CAS-1635310-L8S7J9 CRM:0352000001027
personal/municipal
x

DJI Support <notification@dji.com>
Apr 13 (11 days ago)

to me

Dear Customer,

You repair service of Mavic Pro has been quoted by our repair team. Please refer to the invoice below and complete your payment via paypal.

Invoice

Customer:
Jack Gauthier
Case No:
CAS-1635310-L8S7J9
DJI Care Balance:
0.00(USD)
Quote Date:
04-13-18
Remarks:
NON WARRANTY: Dear Customer, Unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. Damage not caused by product Dear Customer malfunction. We'll either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received. For more information, please visit (http://www.dji.com/service/policy) - DJI North America

Item
Quantity
Unit Price(USD)
Total Price(USD)
Middle Frame Module
Gimbal Vibration Damping Module
Upper Cover
Lower Shell
Rear Right Motor Arm
Repair Service Fee
65.00/H
Freight:

Total Amount:

DJI Care deduction:

Total Payment:

2018-4-24
Use props
HyLenz
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for all your comments. It really helps to know how others would handle a similar situation. I suppose i should have posted this BEFORE i sent my MP to the Nerds. Ah, Cpt. Hindsight strikes again...
I bought a Tello, just cause i could, and maybe keep my fingers warm. Best $99 drone you can buy IMO. Also had Nerds return my un-fixed MP, that episode cost $90 USD and 4+ weeks downtime. Then I bought a brand new unopened original package MP part #42, drone and battery, no controller, for $649. I plan to send the broken MP to DJI like i should have to start with, and keep it around for spare/testing fw updates/mods etc. DJI repair pricing looks real good compared to Nerds prices. I'll be having a drone sale when they release the MPII    :-)
2018-4-24
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

HyLenz Posted at 2018-4-24 05:38
Will do, as soon as i get it back from Nerds. I should have sent it to DJI in the first place. But the way the US politics are these days, i felt safer keeping it within a days drive of my home. I should know better. Thanks.

That's ok, hope everything will be fine soon. If there is anything else we can assist you with, please feel free to let us know.
2018-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules