2542 60 2018-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

Guys I have 1 bad and 1 good new!
The bad one is that yesterday I lost my spark in a ridiculous way. It was 20 meters from me into a 2 minutes flight,  too close to the sea. I was so focused on taking nice photos that I left the drone too low for too long.
Witnesses who were surfing told me the wave touched the bottom of the Spark, it tried to RTH but went for a dive right after. Unfortunately we couldn’t find it. I will never be able to forgive myself for the terrible mistake.  

The good new is that less than 24 hours after the incident I bought a new Spark. Couldn’t help myself!

I already updated the firmware. Do I need to calibrate IMU and COMPASS before launching it?

There are a lot of mismatch info about this subject. Some say it’s not needed unless prompted. Others say it’s a good idea calibrating both before launching it for the first time.
Personally I wouldn’t calibrate the compass which I think reduces the risks of a bad calibration. Am I wrong? What about the IMU?

Below you find the ugly flight record of the ridiculous accident.

F9F8647A-DD85-465F-A514-199FB61E7215.png
BBC9282D-4A9A-4ACD-B98F-DC7A4F7F2BA1.png
6515BD92-499E-4629-B96A-2B6B04B02D9D.jpeg
2018-4-23
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

did you have care refresh ?

Can you try find it at low tide ?

Shame you lost it, but at least it's been replaced :-)   
2018-4-23
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-4-23 16:00

There is no DJI Care Refresh in Brazil we are out of their reach. I would have to find an insurance company that covers these kind of incidents. If there is such company in Brazil.
I looked for the drone for hours. During the night I went back there to look once more.
Unfortunately I had to head back to the city yesterday night therefore I couldn’t look for it today morning.
2018-4-23
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-4-23 16:00

Losing something in the ocean is so much different from losing it in a lake or river. The waves and sand will make it virtually impossible to ever find again. But years from now some kid will dig it out of the sand on a beach hundreds of miles away.

Good luck with the new Spark. I would probably buy a new one right away if I lost my Spark also. It's a great little machine.
2018-4-23
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

Bing Err Posted at 2018-4-23 17:39
Losing something in the ocean is so much different from losing it in a lake or river. The waves and sand will make it virtually impossible to ever find again. But years from now some kid will dig it out of the sand on a beach hundreds of miles away.

Good luck with the new Spark. I would probably buy a new one right away if I lost my Spark also. It's a great little machine.

You will not believe that minutes before I lost it a girl found a red spark buried in the sea. As she saw me with a drone before she gave it to me. I’m sure it was sitting in there for a while b/c it was so heavy, full of sand and all rusty. I couldn’t even turn its props. Minutes after that my little spark dies too virtually in the same place as the red one. What a coincidence!
2018-4-23
Use props
V_kingo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310157 ft
Chile

Apparently you found the Bermuda Triangle for the Sparks.

2018-4-23
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-4-23 17:50
You will not believe that minutes before I lost it a girl found a red spark buried in the sea. As she saw me with a drone before she gave it to me. I’m sure it was sitting in there for a while b/c it was so heavy, full of sand and all rusty. I couldn’t even turn its props. Minutes after that my little spark dies too virtually in the same place as the red one. What a coincidence!
[view_image]

Haha! That is crazy! I would not fly a Spark near there again since they're being sucked into the ocean.
2018-4-23
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-4-23 17:50
You will not believe that minutes before I lost it a girl found a red spark buried in the sea. As she saw me with a drone before she gave it to me. I’m sure it was sitting in there for a while b/c it was so heavy, full of sand and all rusty. I couldn’t even turn its props. Minutes after that my little spark dies too virtually in the same place as the red one. What a coincidence!
[view_image]

That Red drone is not a total loss. You could strip it out and use the shell/body in case you ever crash yours and break the chassis. Might be useful some day.
2018-4-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

In an event like yours, I would use the Find My Drone option on the DJI GO 4 APP (where the three horizontal bars are located to the upper-right corner).
2018-4-23
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

V_kingo Posted at 2018-4-23 18:19
Apparently you found the Bermuda Triangle for the Sparks.

Hahahahahahahahha. Exactly!!!
2018-4-23
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

Bing Err Posted at 2018-4-23 18:24
Haha! That is crazy! I would not fly a Spark near there again since they're being sucked into the ocean.

Dangerous spot indeed! Hahahah
2018-4-23
Use props
ashleygray
lvl.1

Canada

what a story!
2018-4-23
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

Bing Err Posted at 2018-4-23 18:27
That Red drone is not a total loss. You could strip it out and use the shell/body in case you ever crash yours and break the chassis. Might be useful some day.

You are not gonna believe it either. Hahaha Right before I lost mine I gave the red one to a guy who loves drones but can’t afford it. He said he will try to fix it which I’m quite sure if there is a fix it’s not worth it.
2018-4-23
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-4-23 18:29
In an event like yours, I would use the Find My Drone option on the DJI GO 4 APP (where the three horizontal bars are located to the upper-right corner).

Exactly what I did. But the drone was in the ocean so the tide could take it anywhere. I really tried everything I could to find it. Even the surfers looked for it. No success.
2018-4-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-4-23 18:44
Exactly what I did. But the drone was in the ocean so the tide could take it anywhere. I really tried everything I could to find it. Even the surfers looked for it. No success.

That's a real bummer, sorry.
2018-4-23
Use props
The Bash's
lvl.4

United States

Sorry for your loss, but that's a real good life lesson for the rest of us 25' up and it still got touched/sucked into the ocean...  Poseidon is just adding to his collection!  
2018-4-23
Use props
natnatroswell
lvl.3

United States

The Bash's Posted at 2018-4-23 20:12
Sorry for your loss, but that's a real good life lesson for the rest of us 25' up and it still got touched/sucked into the ocean...  Poseidon is just adding to his collection!

lol. poseidon is probably having a lot of fun by now
2018-4-23
Use props
The Bash's
lvl.4

United States

natnatroswell Posted at 2018-4-23 20:35
lol. poseidon is probably having a lot of fun by now

They use random materials in Florida to make artificial reefs.... Could you imagine a cluster of drones as a reef base....
2018-4-23
Use props
DMX_MLT
First Officer
Malta

I am sorry for that loss Brilhas.

1) Will something like this work, when you are going to do a flight very low to the water surface ?

2) Anyone has tried them before ? To check if it has impact on the flying of the drone's balance ?

3) How low can you go to the waters surface to be Safe please ?

Check the Pictures

2018-4-24
Use props
DMX_MLT
First Officer
Malta

This is the Kit ? Will it work.

I think the Floats are made of Jablo and wont be so heavy, I am only in doubt with the flying / wind effect on them. Any suggestions ?
2018-4-24
Use props
DMX_MLT
First Officer
Malta

Check this footage guys.

2018-4-24
Use props
DMX_MLT
First Officer
Malta

Brilhas I think what happened when you press RTH was that as you were not far enough, so it landed on the same spot, I think whats always best is to NEVER PRESS RTH and drive it home manually -

Quoted from DJI - ''Something worth remembering is that if your drone is less than 20 meters away from you when you press the RTH button then it will land just where it is.''

If you where away more than 20metres shouldn't it have gone up and come to your Home Point ?

This RTH is really giving me SHIVERS ! :/ If someone has a good video on this matter I will be very much obligated ! Thank you in Advance !
2018-4-24
Use props
JimFandango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 130768 ft
United Kingdom

DMX_MLT Posted at 2018-4-24 01:47
Brilhas I think what happened when you press RTH was that as you were not far enough, so it landed on the same spot, I think whats always best is to NEVER PRESS RTH and drive it home manually -

Quoted from DJI - ''Something worth remembering is that if your drone is less than 20 meters away from you when you press the RTH button then it will land just where it is.''

Kloo Gee has an awesome video that details the different behaviour of the Spark when RTH is initiated depending on its distance from the home point.

2018-4-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Crazy stuff! Don't know whether to offer my congrats or not LOL
2018-4-24
Use props
DMX_MLT
First Officer
Malta

JimFandango Posted at 2018-4-24 02:16
Kloo Gee has an awesome video that details the different behaviour of the Spark when RTH is initiated depending on its distance from the home point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghRZNUbV0s4&t=815s

Thank you Jim, I will watch Kloo's Video.

He does wonderful tutorials ! Thank you Jim !
2018-4-24
Use props
DMX_MLT
First Officer
Malta

A CW Posted at 2018-4-24 02:22

A CW LOL ! U like those Floaties ?
2018-4-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cool concept but not for me mate - when I fly over water my drone is normally 100-400’ above - if it malfunctioned those balls won’t save it LOL
2018-4-24
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

DMX_MLT Posted at 2018-4-24 01:47
Brilhas I think what happened when you press RTH was that as you were not far enough, so it landed on the same spot, I think whats always best is to NEVER PRESS RTH and drive it home manually -

I didn’t press RTH. It was automatically engaged. When the water touched the spark, the phone screen went black and then I heard the message the aircraft is RTH. Everything happened in seconds. I have the felling that when the RTH message popped the drone was already sunk I think the water messed with the bottom sensors, the spark got dumb.
2018-4-24
Use props
DMX_MLT
First Officer
Malta

A CW Posted at 2018-4-24 03:26
Cool concept but not for me mate - when I fly over water my drone is normally 100-400’ above - if it malfunctioned those balls won’t save it LOL

A CW but if it malfunction you can Swim to it and GRAB IT BY THE BALLS it has 4 not 2 ! LOL
2018-4-24
Use props
DMX_MLT
First Officer
Malta

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-4-24 04:23
I didn’t press RTH. It was automatically engaged. When the water touched the spark, the phone screen went black and then I heard the message the aircraft is RTH. Everything happened in seconds. I have the felling that when the RTH message popped the drone was already sunk I think the water messed with the bottom sensors, the spark got dumb.

Ohhhhh..... Yes I think thats what happened I agree with You, I thought you pressed RTH.

Probably the RTH popped up when there was the disconnection between Remote and Spark, so RTH said it will be activated when it couldnt as it was too late, as the Wave must have swallowed it already.
2018-4-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hahaha - I guess there is that LOL
2018-4-24
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

DMX_MLT Posted at 2018-4-24 04:29
A CW but if it malfunction you can Swim to it and GRAB IT BY THE BALLS it has 4 not 2 ! LOL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. NICE ONE!
2018-4-24
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

DMX_MLT Posted at 2018-4-24 04:31
Ohhhhh..... Yes I think thats what happened I agree with You, I thought you pressed RTH.

Probably the RTH popped up when there was the disconnection between Remote and Spark, so RTH said it will be activated when it couldnt as it was too late, as the Wave must have swallowed it already.

I didnt press RTH. Either the spark was already sunk or got dumb with the reflection went down a bit touched the wave and the rest we know what happened.  
Either way it was my mistake. Lesson learned. Always keep an eye on it and never go too close to the water. If you get that close dont leave it there for long. Go down, take the pic then get it back up as soon as possible.
2018-4-24
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

DMX_MLT Posted at 2018-4-24 01:34
I am sorry for that loss Brilhas.

1) Will something like this work, when you are going to do a flight very low to the water surface ?

There is no safe way to get close to surface b/c the bottom sensors can get confused. Unless DJI gives the spark an update that allows us to turn off the bottom sensor the best idea is to keep a safe distance from it.  
Ive seen this product it seems to work but I dont know how it messes with the spark's aerodynamic. Keep a safe distance from the surface you will not have this kind of issue.   
2018-4-24
Use props
DMX_MLT
First Officer
Malta

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-4-24 07:36
There is no safe way to get close to surface b/c the bottom sensors can get confused. Unless DJI gives the spark an update that allows us to turn off the bottom sensor the best idea is to keep a safe distance from it.  
Ive seen this product it seems to work but I dont know how it messes with the spark's aerodynamic. Keep a safe distance from the surface you will not have this kind of issue.

Thank you for your help Brilhas, I will do as you say.

This could have happened to anyone, its not you fault as you didnt push it down. If I was you I will contact support and ask them if they can help. What you got to lose ?
2018-4-24
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

DMX_MLT Posted at 2018-4-24 07:41
Thank you for your help Brilhas, I will do as you say.

This could have happened to anyone, its not you fault as you didnt push it down. If I was you I will contact support and ask them if they can help. What you got to lose ?

I definitelly didnt push it down. Actually i had no input on the sticks at all. I left it hovering there while I took photos.  DJI makes clear to avoid reflective surfaces. I didnt hear them. hahahahaha
I got nothing to lose I will contact them.
2018-4-24
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

The Bash's Posted at 2018-4-23 20:41
They use random materials in Florida to make artificial reefs.... Could you imagine a cluster of drones as a reef base....

Would be nice!!!!!
2018-4-24
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

A CW Posted at 2018-4-24 02:22

Definitelly I dont deserve any congrats!!
2018-4-24
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer

WHAT ABOUT THE CALIBRATION OF THE COMPASS AND IMU? hahahahahahha. Should I do?
2018-4-24
Use props
ashleygray
lvl.1

Canada

DMX_MLT Posted at 2018-4-24 01:36
[view_image]

This is the Kit ? Will it work.

whoa a cool accessories it is
2018-4-24
Use props
12Next >