SparkItUp! The Second - DOUBTS
2564 60 2018-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

Always calibrate everything on new devices, so it knows your location excatly.. It has been thrown around since production in eastern countryes.. Just take care doing it correctly, AND THEN only do it when prompted too, or what u feel like.  Im pretty new to dji spark, so ot sure what i will do, but with my parrot bebop2 i do it on EVERY power up
2018-4-24
Use props
Ryan Olivas
lvl.4

United States

DMX_MLT Posted at 2018-4-24 01:43
Check this footage guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJgt1X4Cmwg

Well played mate
2018-4-24
Use props
DMX_MLT
First Officer
Malta

I think those Floating Jablo Balls must be more secured, just in case they drop off during the flight, I need to check them well. (Dont use Glue, as Certain Glue does a Chemical Reaction to Jablo and can melt it, Need to do a bit of research on them how to secure them more.)

I will send update when I receive mine. They only costed me Euro15 for all the Black Kit of Floating.

Search for it on Ebay as - 'DJI Spark Floating' and they will come up.

I will use these when I will be flying on Water, not at low altitude, I try never to risk so much, but you never know what happens just in case there will be a Pilot Error or Spark Error and it lands in Water.

BETTER SAFE for just Euro15. And they wont make your backpack heavy to include these just in case. ;)

Happy Flying and Be Safe, Guys.
2018-4-25
Use props
natnatroswell
lvl.3

United States

The Bash's Posted at 2018-4-23 20:41
They use random materials in Florida to make artificial reefs.... Could you imagine a cluster of drones as a reef base....

i'd probably dive down to  the reef base and collect a bunch of drones
2018-4-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sorry for your loss. It is recommended to calibrate the IMU when the message pops up in APP. As for compass, it will be better to calibrate before take-off.
2018-4-26
Use props
DMX_MLT
First Officer
Malta

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-26 01:20
Sorry for your loss. It is recommended to calibrate the IMU when the message pops up in APP. As for compass, it will be better to calibrate before take-off.

Dear Susan,

Eg. I live in Island of Malta, and its very small. I will fly once approx every week or 2 weeks.

1) Do we need to Calibrate Compass before every flight ?
2) Do I need to Calibrate IMU also before every flight ?

I need to clarify this. Thank you so much for the help You and Diana give us !
2018-4-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

DMX_MLT Posted at 2018-4-26 03:46
Dear Susan,

Eg. I live in Island of Malta, and its very small. I will fly once approx every week or 2 weeks.

Sorry for the late response. It will be better to calibrate compass before every flight. No need to calibrate IMU if it works well.
2018-5-3
Use props
DMX_MLT
First Officer
Malta

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-5-3 20:32
Sorry for the late response. It will be better to calibrate compass before every flight. No need to calibrate IMU if it works well.

Dear Susan,

I will follow your steps. Thank you so much !
2018-5-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

DMX_MLT Posted at 2018-5-4 01:44
Dear Susan,

I will follow your steps. Thank you so much !

You're welcome! Feel free to contact us if there are any further questions.
2018-5-10
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-5-10 01:54
You're welcome! Feel free to contact us if there are any further questions.

Thanks for the Support Susan !
2018-5-10
Use props
Oldmaninwva
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9750253 ft
United States

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-4-24 10:14
WHAT ABOUT THE CALIBRATION OF THE COMPASS AND IMU? hahahahahahha. Should I do?

Personally you can never go wrong with a calibration as long as it is done to specs...  ANYTIME I update I calibrate all calibratable functions of my quads, controller, IMU, Compass.  I check the calibration screen and if the readings start indicating higher than what I usually see I calibrate..  Have NEVER had any issues with a calibration being wrong.
2018-5-10
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 365299 ft
Switzerland

Oldmaninwva Posted at 2018-5-10 03:20
Personally you can never go wrong with a calibration as long as it is done to specs...  ANYTIME I update I calibrate all calibratable functions of my quads, controller, IMU, Compass.  I check the calibration screen and if the readings start indicating higher than what I usually see I calibrate..  Have NEVER had any issues with a calibration being wrong.

I guess that's not bad advice, and I don't understand the moderator's advice here (do not calibrate the IMU), especially since it goes against what has been said here before, also by moderators. It's not the first time that there have been conflicting advices given, so here's my "story" and what I do, it served me really well:

When I got my Spark, for the first few weeks, I never checked the IMU nor the compass, until I had a near fly-away. It was then that I noticed that the IMU bias values were elevated (high in the double digits), and it was also recommended to me to check the IMU and compass before every flight (on this forum, by a moderator). I do that "religiously" since then, and I didn't have another loss of control and near fly-away. In about 4 hours of flight since then, I only recalibrated the IMU once, and it wasn't even necessary, the bias values were still in single digits. So I guess you can make the point that you "never" have to check the IMU, but I prefer to be safe than sorry, especially since it's in the same menu as the compass interference meter.

The compass, however, shows a high interference value a lot of times, and unfortunately it's useless to recalibrate it in these situations. The value will go down just for a moment, but it will go back up again, because the interference will still be there. If this value is high, you have to move the Aircraft. Most of the time, a few meters is enough, sometimes even a meter is sufficient, because the source of the interference can be the metal bars in the concrete where the drone stands, or a car, parked very closely. But you shouldn't take off if you have high interference, because you get a compass error while taking off, and this can be very problematic (like loss of control).
2018-5-10
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

Thanks you all for the advices.

2018-5-10
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

sorry for your loss and congrats on the replacement ..
2018-5-10
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

DMX_MLT Posted at 2018-4-24 01:43
Check this footage guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJgt1X4Cmwg

pretty cool landing pad .. what impacts does it have on battery life ..
2018-5-10
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-5-10 06:29
pretty cool landing pad .. what impacts does it have on battery life ..

Ya Buddy,at least if it gets in the water you can recover !

Didn't test it yet, though I will use it on water only, they are really light, less assume a Max of 5% ! On Water I  will be dedicating a battery just for that journey, wont risk using a depleted one then having some AutoLanding.

The thing with these is that I will use some hot gun glue / bungee coard to re-enforce them, as how they are originally made they can easily pop out of the legs, and there is nothing to secure them.

I bought them for $10, worthed to put in my bag, just in case.

Cheers Buddy !
2018-5-10
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-5-10 08:17
Ya Buddy,at least if it gets in the water you can recover !

Didn't test it yet, though I will use it on water only, they are really light, less assume a Max of 5% ! On Water I  will be dedicating a battery just for that journey, wont risk using a depleted one then having some AutoLanding.

Thanks man

I'd use an epoxy instead of glue gun.  adheres better and lighter.

Keep us posted on how well they work.

cheers,
2018-5-10
Use props
Oldmaninwva
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9750253 ft
United States

KurtVD Posted at 2018-5-10 04:40
I guess that's not bad advice, and I don't understand the moderator's advice here (do not calibrate the IMU), especially since it goes against what has been said here before, also by moderators. It's not the first time that there have been conflicting advices given, so here's my "story" and what I do, it served me really well:

When I got my Spark, for the first few weeks, I never checked the IMU nor the compass, until I had a near fly-away. It was then that I noticed that the IMU bias values were elevated (high in the double digits), and it was also recommended to me to check the IMU and compass before every flight (on this forum, by a moderator). I do that "religiously" since then, and I didn't have another loss of control and near fly-away. In about 4 hours of flight since then, I only recalibrated the IMU once, and it wasn't even necessary, the bias values were still in single digits. So I guess you can make the point that you "never" have to check the IMU, but I prefer to be safe than sorry, especially since it's in the same menu as the compass interference meter.

While I'm sure that the moderators mean well I have on occasion seen answers and recommendations from some that just did not make sense and seemed to be more personal conjecture than fact.

When you think of it this way, those screens for calibration are there...  there are certain failsafes in place that will warn you if something did not work right if you did calibrate and something was not right to start with....  I've only been flying for a little over a year and a half, both P4 and most recently a Spark.  Over 600 flights and almost 1100 miles logged in the air.  I've only had one issue with magnetic interference and that was my own fault by trying to land on the tailgate of my pickup on a parking lot that had a LOT of industrial steel buried under as filler.
That location would not allow compass calibration whatsoever.  
I too look for the deviations on the compass, and if it shows higher than normal I try to cal.
2018-5-10
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-5-10 08:21
Thanks man

I'd use an epoxy instead of glue gun.  adheres better and lighter.

Yes thats a Fabulous Idea ! Will do as you suggested with Epoxy.
2018-5-10
Use props
jimm00re
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1277503 ft

This is exactly what took my first Spark.  It got slightly brushed by a wave, by reflex I shot straight up, had near immediate video loss. Flew it back towards me and about 50ft from shore it took a sudden, and what I could only decribe as a Wile E. Coyote dive straight down and into the rocks and into the ocean. Good on you for owning it. Ultimately its pilot error. I got too close to the wave. I give myself more space now and have changed my point of view angle. With that said we're in this hobby that will likely lead to loss. This is why I now fly Spark2 and have Spark3 unboxed waiting in the closet.  Enjoy your Spark2.
2018-5-10
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

jimm00re Posted at 2018-5-10 14:08
This is exactly what took my first Spark.  It got slightly brushed by a wave, by reflex I shot straight up, had near immediate video loss. Flew it back towards me and about 50ft from shore it took a sudden, and what I could only decribe as a Wile E. Coyote dive straight down and into the rocks and into the ocean. Good on you for owning it. Ultimately its pilot error. I got too close to the wave. I give myself more space now and have changed my point of view angle. With that said we're in this hobby that will likely lead to loss. This is why I now fly Spark2 and have Spark3 unboxed waiting in the closet.  Enjoy your Spark2.

Yeah man! I feel bad for you but I'm glad Im not alone.
We gotta suck it up, learn with it then keep going.
Unfortunately if something happens I will not be able to afford a third one right way. So I gotta be triple extra careful with the lovely SparkItUp! The Second™.   
2018-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules