12Next >
48130 50 2015-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
neilkarunatilak
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

So my Phantom 3 controller came full charged out of the box and its lasted me a while but now its down to 2 LEDs out of 4, about 48% per the app.
I can charge the drone battery without problem, but for whatever reason, when I try to charge the controller, it doesn't charge. How long typically does it take you all to charge the controller? I think I left it plugged in for about 4 hours and it didn't go anywhere and the LEDs don't show any charging progress. Strange. Latest firmware and everything.
2015-5-9
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5611893 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it will charge the battery fine you have either one of 2 things wrong.  The controller or the plug for the controller side of charging is bad.  Did you buy directly from DJI?  If not contact the seller you purchased from.
2015-5-9
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

It takes about 6-8 hours for the controller to charge, and it charges much slower if a battery is connected to the charger as well (which is not recommended).
2015-5-9
Use props
neilkarunatilak
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Yeah bought directly from DJI. Had plugged in by itself.
I'll guess I'll leave this plugged in a bit longer. Are there any LED indicators?
2015-5-9
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

neilkarunatilak Posted at 2015-5-10 02:43
Yeah bought directly from DJI. Had plugged in by itself.
I'll guess I'll leave this plugged in a bit ...

Dots on bottom should move from left to right as it is charging.  Not paid much attention but both my Inspire controllers do move from left to right as it is charging.
2015-5-9
Use props
jasper7821
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

it does take a bit of force to push it in, maybe try to push it in harder. If you push it I'm softly it feels I'm but it's not. Just press harder and that hopefully  is the issue.
2015-5-9
Use props
neilkarunatilak
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Boogieman Posted at 2015-5-10 03:16
Dots on bottom should move from left to right as it is charging.  Not paid much attention but both  ...

So I push in the charge cable, then the first two leds light up white for a couple seconds then turn off. There is no dots moving indicating it is charging on the controller like the drone battery (that charges fine)
2015-5-9
Use props
neilkarunatilak
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

jasper7821@yaho Posted at 2015-5-10 03:30
it does take a bit of force to push it in, maybe try to push it in harder. If you push it I'm softly ...

Yeah its pushed in all the way but no indication it is charging.
2015-5-9
Use props
neilkarunatilak
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Remote controller battery is at 43% and dropping, wont charge. This is still the initial charge from when I first got it. I guess I'll discharge it all the way to 0% then see if it will charge back up.
As of now, no LED indicators.
2015-5-9
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

neilkarunatilak Posted at 2015-5-10 05:52
Remote controller battery is at 43% and dropping, wont charge. This is still the initial charge from ...

Hate to say it but I would contact DJI.  How long have you had it?  If only a few days perhaps maybe they will just do a rma and exchange it for you.  But it all depends on how long you have had it.  
2015-5-9
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

I wouldn't "use it all up" - that won't help any I bet.

Do you turn it off when you try charging? And again - it needs to be pushed all the way in.
2015-5-9
Use props
neilkarunatilak
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I've had it since 4/29. The controller came full charged so never bothered to charge it. But now it has one out of four LEDs left. And yeah, doesn't look like I can charge it at all. :/
I'll contact DJI and see what's up. And yes, I've been trying with the controller off and plugging in the charge.
2015-5-9
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

neilkarunatilak Posted at 2015-5-10 08:26
I've had it since 4/29. The controller came full charged so never bothered to charge it. But now it  ...

Does anyone you know have a inspire or perhaps another P3?  If so test with one of those. Sorry we just trying to help you out without having to go through so much.  
2015-5-9
Use props
neilkarunatilak
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Boogieman Posted at 2015-5-10 08:31
Does anyone you know have a inspire or perhaps another P3?  If so test with one of those. Sorry we ...

No worries, thanks for the assist, I appreciate it.
Unfortunately, don't know anyone in the California area that has a P3 or Inspire... I messaged DJI to see whats up. I've been reading a lot of bugs lately on these P3s... somewhat scary to hear.  Are the Inspire Ones as buggy? Maybe I should go that route if it isn't as buggy. Sucks I can't fly for now since I can't charge the controller
2015-5-9
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

neilkarunatilak Posted at 2015-5-10 08:36
No worries, thanks for the assist, I appreciate it.
Unfortunately, don't know anyone in the Cal ...

I have had Inspire since nearly the first of the year.  Love mine.  I have been flying both quads and helis for a long time.  Most of the accidents are pilot error.  Ive gotten in hundreds of flights with my Inspire and all is well.  I did have one flyaway one time with my Phantom 1 and it was pilot error.  I left my cell phone laying on top of controller with wifi and bluetooth both on.  Made it go crazy  here is the actual accident all caught on film..  Please dont laugh at me to hard..  Really freaked me out.
2015-5-9
Use props
neilkarunatilak
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Boogieman Posted at 2015-5-10 08:40
I have had Inspire since nearly the first of the year.  Love mine.  I have been flying both quads a ...

Haha thanks for the share, that was a scary tumble!

And yeah I'll wait and see what DJI does, if they offer a refund, maybe I'll go the Inspire 1 route, but I think it will just be a warranty replacement.
2015-5-9
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

neilkarunatilak Posted at 2015-5-10 09:17
Haha thanks for the share, that was a scary tumble!

And yeah I'll wait and see what DJI does, if  ...

Good luck please share what happens and the turn around time.
2015-5-9
Use props
neilkarunatilak
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Boogieman Posted at 2015-5-10 09:33
Good luck please share what happens and the turn around time.

Will do, I assume since it is the weekend I won't hear back till Monday. I'll update this thread when I get an update from DJI.
2015-5-9
Use props
neilkarunatilak
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Latest update :

Well, left the controller plugged into the battery for about 6 hours, no change/charge, It is at around 18% battery left. Sent a ticket into US DJI support over the weekend.
No response yet. Wonder if there is a faster way to get ahold of them. Too many P3 launch bugs

2015-5-11
Use props
neilkarunatilak
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

In contact with US DJI Support. They are unaware of the extended return policy (from release of iOS app) although I did mention it, so we will see how that goes.
I might just do the full refund option if they allow it, then pick up an Inspire One since the Phantom 3 has had a buggy launch so far. Will keep you updated.
2015-5-11
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

neilkarunatilak Posted at 2015-5-12 03:55
In contact with US DJI Support. They are unaware of the extended return policy (from release of iOS  ...

I dont say buggy.  Its like anything made now adays.  Sometimes theres a defect in a few and some of the unlucky ones get them.  A person can buy a new car and the same car sold down the road and its defective from day one.  Mass production of anything leads to a small fail rate. I have no doubt dji will take care of you.  Again keep us up to date.  
2015-5-12
Use props
neilkarunatilak
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Well, they sent me a UPS shipping label and approved my request to return for refund due to the issues I was experiencing. Not sure how long the refund will take, but according to the UPS tracking, they should get it tomorrow. I am curious what was the issue, I'm assuming the charging port on the controller.

Side note, I went ahead and ordered an Inspire 1 since I have some projects lined up. Just need to buy a second controller later.
2015-5-12
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

neilkarunatilak Posted at 2015-5-13 06:24
Well, they sent me a UPS shipping label and approved my request to return for refund due to the issu ...

Good deal.  The inspire is a beast and you will love it.  Just remember its ALOT faster than the P3.  But handles like a SuperCar.
2015-5-13
Use props
neilkarunatilak
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Boogieman Posted at 2015-5-14 07:39
Good deal.  The inspire is a beast and you will love it.  Just remember its ALOT faster than the P ...

Looking forward to it... if only there was a way to unlock higher bitrate video. :p
2015-5-13
Use props
PicTwo
New
Flight distance : 37300 ft
United States

Did you resolve the issue?  I have an Inspire 1 with dual controllers.  The aircraft controller is doing exactly what you describe.  The camera controller charges normally.  
Charging these units has worked in the past.
2015-5-28
Use props
neilkarunatilak
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

PicTwo Posted at 2015-5-29 03:36
Did you resolve the issue?  I have an Inspire 1 with dual controllers.  The aircraft controller is d ...

Hey,
I sent it back and they just refunded me. I never heard what caused the issue.
I just purchased a DJI Inspire 1 and have been using that perfectly fine. If I had to guess, I'd say it was either the plug on the AC adapter or the port on the controller itself. But yeah, I was refunded but never heard what caused it for the Phantom 3 controller. Luckily, nothing is wrong on the Inspire 1 so far.
2015-5-28
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

neilkarunatilak Posted at 2015-5-29 04:30
Hey,
I sent it back and they just refunded me. I never heard what caused the issue.
I just purchas ...

Glad you like the inspire..  Its a beast and love mine more and more every day
2015-6-1
Use props
rgarcia_gzm
lvl.1

United States

Boogieman Posted at 2015-5-10 08:40
I have had Inspire since nearly the first of the year.  Love mine.  I have been flying both quads a ...

Croly Hap, dude!!  If that was me the last few seconds of video would have been an image of me with wet shorts, streaming tears, and sobbing.  +1 to you for keeping your composure, mate.  
2015-6-26
Use props
Boogieman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rgarcia_gzm Posted at 2015-6-26 18:51
Croly Hap, dude!!  If that was me the last few seconds of video would have been an image of me wit ...

Thanks..  I was more mad as why it happened.
2015-6-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Neil,
Delighted you gave it back, and bought yourself an Inspire 1, in its place.
That would have been my first choice, but financially, I couldn't handle it at the time.
Besides, with Lightbridge, it's Basically a pared down Inspire 1. Inspire Jr, if you will.

Hope you will share some of your aerial photography work, with us here, on the forum. ;-)

Good luck and best wishes for you and thee New quad copter.

RedHotPoker
2015-6-26
Use props
Ferisz
lvl.1
United Kingdom

P3 user here, had the issue.
I pushed the charger into the controller and rotated it, and it briefly charged as you said. I then rotated it back to that point it's going fine as of now, a delicate process, but it should be fine.
2015-7-28
Use props
alexf84
New

Canada

Just got my phantom 3 advanced in the mail today, googled and found this thread as it appeared my controller was not charging.
Pushed in the cable a bit and rotated the plug and its charging away.
whew. what a pain that would have been.
2015-8-26
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

you probably are not firmly plugging in the charger into rc
2015-8-26
Use props
contractorwolf
lvl.1
United States

jasper7821@yaho Posted at 2015-5-9 15:30
it does take a bit of force to push it in, maybe try to push it in harder. If you push it I'm softly ...

thats what she said?
2015-9-22
Use props
Alexcmei
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

alexf84 Posted at 2015-8-26 12:55
Just got my phantom 3 advanced in the mail today, googled and found this thread as it appeared my co ...

got my P3P today, and using my standard charger for my HTC phone - same connector.. Not charging. no doubt 2 week delay in getting a replacement. bad during peak autumn color season.
2015-10-6
Use props
clive
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41969 ft
United Kingdom

Alexcmei Posted at 2015-10-6 19:20
got my P3P today, and using my standard charger for my HTC phone - same connector.. Not charging.  ...

Why use the wrong charger? The one that came with your drone plugs into the side of the controller. The USB sockets aren't used for charging the battery.
2015-10-7
Use props
Alexcmei
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

clive Posted at 2015-10-7 06:37
Why use the wrong charger? The one that came with your drone plugs into the side of the controller ...

thankfully, I realized that shortly after my post.
2015-10-8
Use props
y2kwiz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 726135 ft
  • >>>
Philippines

Cacc Posted at 2015-5-10 02:32
It takes about 6-8 hours for the controller to charge, and it charges much slower if a battery is co ...

Really that long?
2016-1-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Yes, that is correct, 6 hours to charge it fully.
2016-1-19
Use props
mark
New

United States

I have a Phantom 3 Advanced controller that won't charge straight out of the box.

This problem is on the spectrum of charge failure. Batteries charge fine. The remote will indicate one white blinking light to charge but will never continue charging beyond 20-30 seconds, even in the absence of any movement of the cord, ie it's not becoming loose.

If you unplug and replug, it re-activates the charge, again for 20-30 seconds.

Basically makes it useless. Phantom tech support in Carson is pretty solid (it switches to China after 5PM PST) but the team that handles return merch (RMAs) is way backlogged. Sitting duck with no remote.
2016-2-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules