30% Increase in Drone Complaints
2307 48 2018-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I think the title of your post is skewed. In this example, the number of complaints tends to be a microcosm compared to the sheer growth in drone usage.

If you apply the growth of drones sold last year reportedly went up by 300% globally or for simple examples from 100 to 300, but drone complaints went up from 10 to 13 (equals 30% increase) for that same period, then the number of complaints overall is lowered from 10.0% down to 4.3%. Drone complaints as a percentage of drones sold have been going down precipitously, there are always going to be people who object to drone usage just like some object to outdoor loud music and noisy cars..

2018-5-4
Use props
Mavic Dave
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41161 ft
United Kingdom

Simply repeating the title of the article.  This is what the public read
2018-5-5
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-4 16:02
I’m not to sure you have read my post, it’s more about the need to educate new and existing drone flyers nothing about putting restraints on anyone who has experience and who flys within the rules.

We have to do a test to become a pilot (manned) to drive a motorcycle a car heck even those in the elderly bracket have sometimes to get tested again for competence either by driving test or medical report.

I agree with the thought,  Absolutely agree. But look at the second sentence in your 4th paragraph. THIS is the problem. There is no drone community to these offenders. Build all the walls you want, do all the testing you want. license all the people you want. At the end of the day the violators will still be "ROUGE" they will find ways around the limitations. ( look at the ones lying to the GPS about their location using software to pull it off). The only ones who will do what you have asked or proposed are the ones already following the rules The simple fact is they have NO respect for us, you and me, and our love of this sport. They simply care about themselves. They will get this sport outlawed. My house is in order I fly by the rules, I take no money for anything done for others with my quad, as I don't have the 107. So what else can I offer to keep this alive?
2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bill B Posted at 2018-5-5 01:14
I agree with the thought,  Absolutely agree. But look at the second sentence in your 4th paragraph. THIS is the problem. There is no drone community to these offenders. Build all the walls you want, do all the testing you want. license all the people you want. At the end of the day the violators will still be "ROUGE" they will find ways around the limitations. ( look at the ones lying to the GPS about their location using software to pull it off). The only ones who will do what you have asked or proposed are the ones already following the rules The simple fact is they have NO respect for us, you and me, and our love of this sport. They simply care about themselves. They will get this sport outlawed. My house is in order I fly by the rules, I take no money for anything done for others with my quad, as I don't have the 107. So what else can I offer to keep this alive?

But that was exactly my point and in your statement there you have just abhorred the behavior of these Mavericks that’s what the drone community need to do.
2018-5-5
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bulldog Posted at 2018-5-4 14:24
You realize, acknowledging my post with quotations is the opposite of ignoring right?

Yep.... and it gets ME 2 points.....
2018-5-5
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-4-24 07:53
The flying over schools is particularly worrying, increase in complaints could be coming from many new drones out there, common sense and more education needs to be applied, I think we will see this kind of thing exponentially increased in the future.

I also feel we will see new drones being sold in the future with limiters attached, which can only be removed when pilot goes through training programs.

As a new pilot, I would support this.  I read and studied for 4 months before i even bought my drone.  So now, this is almost a daily conversation:
Them: hey, let's go here, and you can fly.  
Me: Nope.  I can't fly over crowds of people.  
Them: oh, well, there is a park over here, you can fly there right?
Me:  uh... Nope.  That's a 'No Fly Zone'  it's only 2 miles from the airport.
Them: hey can you fly up in the clouds?  that would be awesome.
Me: uh... Nope.  can't legally fly above 400ft.  and i'm not risking my $1000 drone to make you happy.  You want to see that?  go watch YouTube.
2018-5-5
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-4-25 16:13
Yeah you might think that , but I would prefer to protect those who are innocent from both those who are ignorant and those who are guilty, you may in your country feel happy that drones are ok to fly over schools, but in my country we see this as a breech of privacy of those who can’t protect themselves, one of the reasons that perverts get away to often is because do gooders stand idly by to wait for these despicable perverts  to be found guilty, but this only ever happens after the damage is done, schools are no place to be flying drones over without permission and to do so is ignorant and ignorance is not a defense
If you believe it’s ok to fly drones over schools that’s your prerogative but it is still ignorant.

i believe that flying over a school would fall into the category of flying over crowds, and therefore fall in the "can't do it" category.  Especially as a hobbyist.  if you are contracted, and have consent to fly over said crowd, and have your PART 107, and the proper permits, then, you are clear.

Am I wrong in that?
2018-5-5
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

@Bill B and @Hallmark007  It looks like you are both pretty much saying the same thing.  We in the community need to continue to try to educate the mavericks.  Not for the sake of legislation, but for the sake of our sport.  Yes, there will always be those who are determined to break the rules.  Unfortunately, we can only reach those who want to be reached.  Most of the people that I talk to eventually come around to understanding and respecting the rules.
Once you make them understand some of the dangers, and problems that people have with drones, their eyes begin to open and they begin to see beyond "I can do what i want with my drone"
2018-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

3-D Posted at 2018-5-5 06:08
As a new pilot, I would support this.  I read and studied for 4 months before i even bought my drone.  So now, this is almost a daily conversation:
Them: hey, let's go here, and you can fly.  
Me: Nope.  I can't fly over crowds of people.  

Good job....
2018-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules