476 2 2018-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Seanmul89 7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20344 ft
Ireland

Hi all,
I’ve recently had a thread up of my Mavic that had compass error constantly, so I returned to store got my refund and went in deep again and purchased an alpine white Mavic.

Just to be sure, when setting up, do you all update the firmware soon as? Do you calibrate the IMU after initial setup ? Do you have to calibrate IMU outside in an open area or is that just the compass? For your first flight after all setting up when you go to the area you want to fly is that were you would calibrate compass then?
Last thing I want is this error to occur again on the new Mavic.
Any tips at all would be appreciated thanks I’m just worried now since the last one I had with the errors!
2018-4-24
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

- Firmware updates are optional, but I always update the firmware before flying the first time. That's even more important if buying a recently released drone since it's not uncommon for a few firmware updates with important fixes to be rolled out soon after a new release.

- You shouldn't have to calibrate the IMU on a new drone. It's easiest to calibrate the IMU indoors on a flat surface.

- I like to calibrate the compass before flying a new drone. It's a good way to ensure the compass is functioning correctly. Check out the Mavic Compass Calibration Guide for details on calibrating and caring for the compass.
2018-4-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sean, we always suggest updating the firmware because it's the optimization to the previous one, but that depends on you. If your drone's now performing fine and you don't want to upgrade it, that's alright.
For the IMU calibration, you can calibrate it when the app asks you to do so. Regarding the calibrating procedure, please refer to the tutorial below.
And for the compass calibration, you can calibrate it and do it in an open area.
compass.png
2018-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules