Mavic Air Partially Out Of Focus Photos & Videos.
12Next >
5983 47 2018-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ah_hwan
lvl.2
Malaysia

Bought my mavic air last week and realised that it has blurry/out of focus photo and video issue (look at the left side of the photos). Did the standard firmware refresh, restore factory settings, reset camera settings, calibrate gimbal & calibrate IMU but defect persists. Emailed DJI support and they said the images are fine and not blurry. A very disappointed DJI owner. Refer links  below for photos taken with my mavic air.

2018-4-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, couldy you please provide me with the original pictures which are exported from the drone and upload again to Dropbox? In this way, we can check more info and can provide to our engineers for further confirm. Thank you in advance.
2018-4-24
Use props
DANIEL10
lvl.2
Spain

We are already many with similar problems, to wait for DJI to solve them with some update, bad purchase.
2018-4-24
Use props
ah_hwan
lvl.2

Dear DJI Thor,
The links that I posted in my 1st post are the original images from the drone. Take a look at the left center part of the image (zoom in a little bit to the original size), and you will notice that sone of the area are out of focus. I would aay about 25% of the total image.
2018-4-24
Use props
ah_hwan
lvl.2
Malaysia

Dear DJI Thor,
Refer links below for latest photos taken. Please view it in full size. Do note that I noticed out of focus/blurriness at some area of the image even with sharpening set to +2. With sharpening at 0 its even worse.
I had similar issue with my phantom 3 last time, but that was at the edges of the image, which wasn't that noticeable.

Image 1
Image 1 Marked
Image 2
Image 2 Marked

2018-4-27
Use props
jh8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Doesn't look right to me. If you see this always in the same sections of the image I would say it's a lens issue and I would return it.
2018-4-28
Use props
ah_hwan
lvl.2
Malaysia

jh8 Posted at 2018-4-28 05:49
Doesn't look right to me. If you see this always in the same sections of the image I would say it's a lens issue and I would return it.

Problem is, DJI support says its fine, and the distributor in my country says that there's no 7 days return policy. Now I'm stuck with a defective drone.
2018-4-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It does seem to emphasise the focus in the centre of the image - nice shots though   
2018-4-28
Use props
jh8
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

ah_hwan Posted at 2018-4-28 05:52
Problem is, DJI support says its fine, and the distributor in my country says that there's no 7 days return policy. Now I'm stuck with a defective drone.

I would suggest to have DJI support take a better look, send them more original images from the SD card taken in different locations and reproducing the issue. Can you reproduce it, and does it always appear in the same sections of the screen? There are other threads describing similar issues, and I think they were replaced by DJI under warranty.

I returned 2 units to the my retailer (14 days return warranty) because of soft image issues before I finally received a unit that took sharp photos, and to be honest the images from my first 2 units did not even look as bad as yours.

2018-4-28
Use props
ah_hwan
lvl.2
Malaysia

jh8 Posted at 2018-4-28 07:17
I would suggest to have DJI support take a better look, send them more original images from the SD card taken in different locations and reproducing the issue. Can you reproduce it, and does it always appear in the same sections of the screen? There are other threads describing similar issues, and I think they were replaced by DJI under warranty.

I returned 2 units to the my retailer (14 days return warranty) because of soft image issues before I finally received a unit that took sharp photos, and to be honest the images from my first 2 units did not even look as bad as yours.

It appeared it in every picture I took. Its quite obvious that its having a defective camera unit. I'll try to get DJI support to get their engineers to look into my case again. Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my retailer says that they do now have any 7 or 14 days return warranty. Maybe it differs in every country.
2018-4-28
Use props
rent
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1773458 ft
  • >>>

The center left blurriness is noticeable upon close inspection of these photos. To make this problem more evident to DJI, I would suggest you take an image of an evenly lit, uniform target with good detail - what we typically call the brick wall test shot. If possible, do the test shot at varying distance.

Also, if I may suggest you change your setting to take RAW format (DNG) shots and upload them here. I can check these and see if applying the lens profile corrections makes any difference.
2018-4-28
Use props
ah_hwan
lvl.2
Malaysia

rent Posted at 2018-4-28 07:49
The center left blurriness is noticeable upon close inspection of these photos. To make this problem more evident to DJI, I would suggest you take an image of an evenly lit, uniform target with good detail - what we typically call the brick wall test shot. If possible, do the test shot at varying distance.

Also, if I may suggest you change your setting to take RAW format (DNG) shots and upload them here. I can check these and see if applying the lens profile corrections makes any difference.

Hi rent I will take some RAW pictures tomorrow. Let's hope that DJI will honor the 14 days return warranty.
2018-4-28
Use props
TravellerG
lvl.1

India

Hi Friends,
Certailny, a good suggestion,
Regs

2018-4-28
Use props
M2bfx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49278 ft

ah_hwan Posted at 2018-4-27 22:10
Dear DJI Thor,
Refer links below for latest photos taken. Please view it in full size. Do note that I noticed out of focus/blurriness at some area of the image even with sharpening set to +2. With sharpening at 0 its even worse.
I had similar issue with my phantom 3 last time, but that was at the edges of the image, which wasn't that noticeable.

Mine was the same, except on the right. Got it replaced but now i have a wobbly horizon and it dips down on both sides and in the middle and DJI have done NOTHING about it
2018-4-28
Use props
ah_hwan
lvl.2
Malaysia

M2bfx Posted at 2018-4-28 12:58
Mine was the same, except on the right. Got it replaced but now i have a wobbly horizon and it dips down on both sides and in the middle and DJI have done NOTHING about it

Seems like with DJI products, chances of you getting a defective unit is very high, and chances of getting satisfactory after sales support is very very poor.
2018-4-28
Use props
ah_hwan
lvl.2
Malaysia

Hi rent, refer link below for DNG files. Photos were taken at varying altitude under bright sunlight. Appreciate your assistance.

DNG files folder
2018-4-28
Use props
rent
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ah_hwan Posted at 2018-4-28 20:28
Hi rent, refer link below for DNG files. Photos were taken at varying altitude under bright sunlight. Appreciate your assistance.

DNG files folder

I can see slight softness in the center left (same area as before) in your third image DJI_0100. Kind of hard to tell in the other two because of the different things around that area.

I looked at these in Lightroom. The default Mavic Air lens profile was in these files and was applied without problems. So we can rule out profile-related issues.

Is it possible to shoot something like this? You can just hand hold your Mavic Air (no need to unfold and turn on the props) and take a picture. Make sure you are taking the shot straight on.
2018-4-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

ah_hwan Posted at 2018-4-27 22:10
Dear DJI Thor,

A way to demonstrate problem is to take pictures of same overhead scene, and rotate drone over scene.

Take several pictures with drone pointing at 0-degrees.
Rotate drone 90-degrees taking several pictures at 90-degrees.
Rotate drone 90-degrees taking several pictures at 180-degrees.
Rotate drone 90-degrees taking several pictures at 270-degrees.

The soft spot(s) should appear in different areas of overhead scene.  Demonstrating that a particular area of scene does not look soft by its very nature.

You can flip 180-degree picture to compare against 0-degree picture.
Same with 270-degree picture, comparing it to 90-degree picture.

Would work best with pictures taken in a nearly square format vs. rectangular (4:3 aspect).

2018-4-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

rent Posted at 2018-4-28 20:56
I can see slight softness in the center left (same area as before) in your third image DJI_0100. Kind of hard to tell in the other two because of the different things around that area.

I looked at these in Lightroom. The default Mavic Air lens profile was in these files and was applied without problems. So we can rule out profile-related issues.

Another image ISO_12233-reschart to download, print out, and try.

Sample of Image (use link above)

2018-4-28
Use props
ah_hwan
lvl.2
Malaysia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-28 21:02
A way to demonstrate problem is to take pictures of same overhead scene, and rotate drone over scene.

Take several pictures with drone pointing at 0-degrees.

Hi HedgeTrimmer, refer link below.
Images rotated
2018-4-28
Use props
ah_hwan
lvl.2
Malaysia

rent Posted at 2018-4-28 20:56

Hi rent, unfortunately I do not have any ground level subject that looked like what u have shown for now. Took photos of roof tiles and porch gate instead, hope it helps. Refer links below for pictures mentioned.

Roof tiles
Porch gate

2018-4-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

ah_hwan Posted at 2018-4-28 21:39
Hi HedgeTrimmer, refer link below.
Images rotated

Looks like there is a soft region in lower left image area of drone's camera.

As I have mentioned before - the cameras and lens being used on Mavic Pro and Mavic Air are not Prosumer or Professional level, so that has to be factored in.  
Realizing price of Mavic drones has to be split between remote, battery & charger, drone (with all its sensors, motors, and computers), forgiving gimbal, and camera & lens.
2018-4-28
Use props
ah_hwan
lvl.2
Malaysia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-28 22:24
Looks like there is a soft region in lower left image area of drone's camera.

As I have mentioned before - the cameras and lens being used on Mavic Pro and Mavic Air are not Prosumer or Professional level, so that has to be factored in.  

Hi HedgeTrimmer I get what you mean but people do have defect free units. If the defect is not the on the camera, maybe I still can accept it as it is.  
2018-4-29
Use props
iflyskyhawks
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4501411 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same issue for my Mavic Air - it has a few "soft spots" that are pretty consistent in every photograph I take.  If this is something that most Mavic Air owners have and are living with - that's fine, it's not that bad.  If, however, there are units where these soft spots DON'T exist... then I think we need a clear answer from DJI as to why this is the case.  I do know that firmware updates have improved camera image quality for other models so my HOPE is this is a camera sensor issue that can be corrected with software.  
2018-4-29
Use props
jh8
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

There is an issue with the lens (alignment maybe) of some units, but I am going to assume most units are sharp or we would see even more posts. I doubt this can be fixed in FW since everything points to a physical issue that varies with each unit. Nobody expects miracles, but the image should be sharp everywhere.
2018-4-29
Use props
ah_hwan
lvl.2
Malaysia

Let’s just hope that DJI will do something about this, without any delay.
2018-4-29
Use props
ah_hwan
lvl.2
Malaysia

iflyskyhawks Posted at 2018-4-29 04:09
Same issue for my Mavic Air - it has a few "soft spots" that are pretty consistent in every photograph I take.  If this is something that most Mavic Air owners have and are living with - that's fine, it's not that bad.  If, however, there are units where these soft spots DON'T exist... then I think we need a clear answer from DJI as to why this is the case.  I do know that firmware updates have improved camera image quality for other models so my HOPE is this is a camera sensor issue that can be corrected with software.

Hi iflyskyhawks, how about your other drones, do they have similar problem?
2018-4-30
Use props
rent
Second Officer
  • >>>
Russia

@ah_hwan Have you discussed with DJI about a return? I'm curious what DJI say about this issue.
2018-4-30
Use props
ah_hwan
lvl.2
Malaysia

rent Posted at 2018-4-30 10:49
@ah_hwan Have you discussed with DJI about a return? I'm curious what DJI say about this issue.

Hi rent, I sent more pictures to DJI Support for them to analyze, however they told me that their senior engineers are on leave currently.
2018-4-30
Use props
fanscf061470
lvl.2
Flight distance : 207116 ft
Brazil

My photo with Mavic Air
2018-5-1
Use props
Ottotto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 156811 ft

Were ND filters used?  Were you shooting in auto-mode?  The electronic shutter can cause objects to bend and become out of focus at high shutter speeds, and then catch a little lens flare from the sun, every image will appear a bit different, is what I am seeing. https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro?site=brandsite&from=nav  a promo video from DJI for Phantom Pro 4 explains the electronic shutter issue quite well. Worth a quick view....but then you may want an phantom 4 pro.  Good Luck
2018-5-2
Use props
ah_hwan
lvl.2
Malaysia

Ottotto Posted at 2018-5-2 02:17
Were ND filters used?  Were you shooting in auto-mode?  The electronic shutter can cause objects to bend and become out of focus at high shutter speeds, and then catch a little lens flare from the sun, every image will appear a bit different, is what I am seeing. https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro?site=brandsite&from=nav  a promo video from DJI for Phantom Pro 4 explains the electronic shutter issue quite well. Worth a quick view....but then you may want an phantom 4 pro.  Good Luck

Hi Ottotto, no ND filter were used and I was shooting in auto mode.
2018-5-2
Use props
ah_hwan
lvl.2
Malaysia

ah_hwan Posted at 2018-4-30 18:30
Hi rent, I sent more pictures to DJI Support for them to analyze, however they told me that their senior engineers are on leave currently.

Looks like DJI senior engineers are on long leave, no feedback from them since then.
2018-5-3
Use props
rent
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ah_hwan Posted at 2018-5-3 21:45
Looks like DJI senior engineers are on long leave, no feedback from them since then.

FYI, here is a related issue. Looks like this guy had some luck getting DJI to replace it. Not sure if same region as you.
2018-5-3
Use props
Cap0ne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 217077 ft
Romania

Got the same problem with my Air. Here i posted about it  https://forum.dji.com/thread-144845-1-1.html

I returned it and now i'm w8ing for some assurances that they fixed this issue before buying another one...
2018-5-4
Use props
Distortionist
lvl.2
Canada

I have a similar issue where my pictures are soft and RAW is noisy. It is pretty bad and can't see any fine details in the pictures and always look slightly out of focus.  I used the online support from DJI and spoke to someone who looked at the pictures and agreed they are not great and sent me a shipping label to send it for repair.
2018-5-5
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft

So I tested my camera today, too. I'm pretty sure I have the same problem. Can some people confirm?
Took the same photo from 3 different camera rotations. It seems blurry and no details in it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8kfjh ... t7f2H5MYdrcRva?dl=0

Maybe some DJI members can check that out. I have more pictures, if neccessary.
2018-5-5
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

saviour Posted at 2018-5-5 09:55
So I tested my camera today, too. I'm pretty sure I have the same problem. Can some people confirm?
Took the same photo from 3 different camera rotations. It seems blurry and no details in it.

Can someone please check the pictures so I know if i can open a request for DJI? I can provide more pictures, if those aren't enough.
2018-5-7
Use props
Optimus Prime-Mavic Air
Second Officer
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

I have the same issue but from Twitter to here, i did not get any support, i now i have to live with it because i buy it in Vietnam and did not have authorized repair here. Lots of money throw through windows
2018-5-9
Use props
fans5939a247
lvl.1
Flight distance : 276414 ft
Italy

same here! i think i have the same problem; look at the left part of the photos and video at this link...what do you thing about? https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... xsVU8Sk?usp=sharing
2018-5-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules