Input on video quality: filters, shutter, etc.
643 6 2018-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
phantomgod
lvl.1

I'd like to get some input on this video:

What should I adjust to get better video quality? (This is Mavic Air footage...)

I'm using an ND32 filter. Should I ditch the filter and just use the  stock lens and auto settings, since I don't know what I'm doing? I  thought the filter would really help with a bright environment like this  with light reflecting off the snow.

TIA, Jack.

2018-4-24
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i thought it looks pretty good - beginners luck:-) do not ditch the filters they are especially important in video (try keep to the double frame rate rule, which you cant do without nd's and then you will end up with a lot of overexposed footage which you cant fix). right out the box you are doing fine - pretty good actually. keep flying, keep filming and you will keep improving bit by bit. very good start.
2018-4-24
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

This looks nice
2018-4-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft

You're doing fine.  You just need to learn that when you go from dark to light, you only have a certain amount of latitude of exposure.  You want to stay away from being over-exposed like what it did when you turned toward the sun.  There's only so much dynamic range, so you need to adjust for the light when it gets that strong.  A filter is not going to do that for you.  The filter is just to help you stay within a certain range, but can't make up for drastic changes like you made.  The video is nice, just over-exposed.  Learn to avoid trying to get ground detail that is toward the sun.
2018-4-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great effort. Keep the ND32 on and set to auto as a bit of practice and see what settings the camera selects and make a mental note of the ISO and shutter speeds being used and the impact it has on the images. As you develop your skills you can switch back to manual and apply the 180 degree rule and start playing around with the profiles to tailor the images more to your style. You'll also find that polarisers are very effective as cutting through reflectivity such as snow and water.
2018-4-24
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you do any color correction in an editing program? If not then that could be a way for you to tone down some of the over exposed sections of you video. Overall you got some great shots.
2018-4-28
Use props
phantomgod
lvl.1

United States

Thanks everyone for your inputs. It made me feel happy. Jack.
2018-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules