Stupid maybe GOOD
1035 15 2018-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HendrikJB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

Stupid may not be all that bad sometimes.

When I just started flying my Mavic Air I really could go far without any signal loss.  However about 2 weeks ago I started experience really b-a-d communication problems.  The signal would be lost at 300m and even sometimes less.  Really frustrating.  I could not understand the problem as I`m always trying my best to have the correct attitude of the antennae in relation to where the Air is.  However the problems just seemed to get worse.  I bought low-end signal enhancers from the DJI agent in my country but the results were really very bad.  Fortunately I got these at a very good price so not too much of a loss.

I started looking at 3rd party solutions and found ARCtek but was sternly advised against these by DJI.  However the support person was not experiencing the problem but I was. Thus I decided that I should go for this solution.  Keeping the stern DJI warning in the back of my head I tried to find other solutions first.  That is when by chance I happened on a YouTube video about switching between 2.4gHz and 5.8gHz where it indicated that the craft/controller will choose what it thinks is the best if set to auto.  I then checked and saw that the frequency was 5.8gHz whereas it was 2.4gHz when I flew the first time.  I changed the "auto" mode to manual and set the channel to 2.4gHz.  Viola.  Problem solved.

Now before all tell me about wireless interference, let me tell you that I stay in a smallish quiet seaside town, where wireless is most probably predominantly used in the evenings.

Now the million bucks question.  Should I still go for the ARCtek with 7dB or not?
2018-4-24
Use props
gcomfx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119613 ft
United States

Interested to see what everyone says.  I've not been impressed with my signal loss on AUTO wifi.  I live in a small town, but there are several cell towers along the highway.  I also had weak signal flying over a small lake in another state.  Scary stuff.
2018-4-24
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>

If you're happy with it since your 'fix', I would save my money for when the Mavic Pro 2 hits the market.
2018-4-24
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

If its working keep it on 2.4 or get the range extender if you want to add some good distance, your choice. I would recommend keeping it standard in the event of a claim
2018-4-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Custom selection of 2.4ghz should give you enough range now you know how to tune to that frequency. Why void your warranty just to fly so far out of sight of the drone and increase the risks. If range was your main reason for buying a drone then why did you not get the Mavic Pro with OcuSync?
2018-4-24
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

gcomfx Posted at 2018-4-24 09:35
Interested to see what everyone says.  I've not been impressed with my signal loss on AUTO wifi.  I live in a small town, but there are several cell towers along the highway.  I also had weak signal flying over a small lake in another state.  Scary stuff.

I tried the following "fix" with 5.8 but it did not make any difference.

However I`ve seen a guy use cooking foil who claimed a doubling in distance, which for me, means a stronger signal at short range.  It`s cheap to try.

1.  Fold the foil double and then bend in the shape of a "C".
2.  Cut four small slits for the antennae to go through.
3.  Test with both 2.4 & 5.8

Cheap if it does not work.  Cheaper if it does work.

I`m still considering the possibility of a 3rd party setup but this will just be utilised for commercial work.
2018-4-24
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-4-24 10:41
I tried the following "fix" with 5.8 but it did not make any difference.

However I`ve seen a guy use cooking foil who claimed a doubling in distance, which for me, means a stronger signal at short range.  It`s cheap to try.

These work for my MP I for sure can tell a difference when going range(ie 2+ miles out).  I will say though they are less forgiving though as far as needing to point in the direction of the craft than not using them.  They are more directional so if you start facing away you will lose connection faster than without them.  I only use them when going range like I said.  
2018-4-24
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-4-24 10:38
Custom selection of 2.4ghz should give you enough range now you know how to tune to that frequency. Why void your warranty just to fly so far out of sight of the drone and increase the risks. If range was your main reason for buying a drone then why did you not get the Mavic Pro with OcuSync?

I fully agree with you.

The real reason for acquiring, in my case at least, would be to get to otherwise difficult to get to or inaccessible locations and not a long range/distance.
2018-4-24
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-24 10:45
These work for my MP I for sure can tell a difference when going range(ie 2+ miles out).  I will say though they are less forgiving though as far as needing to point in the direction of the craft than not using them.  They are more directional so if you start facing away you will lose connection faster than without them.  I only use them when going range like I said.

I concur.  It does enhance the signal strength to the detriment of a "wider" field of operation.
2018-4-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-4-24 10:45
I fully agree with you.

The real reason for acquiring, in my case at least, would be to get to otherwise difficult to get to or inaccessible locations and not a long range/distance.

I see - you do know that the Mavic Pro isn't that much bigger and the flymore combo fits in a 5L sling... I have flown it through door ways and inches over tree lines and hiked for miles with it on my back and no probs. If range and transmission signal has become more important to you now then I too would wait for the MP2 and continue learning on the Air which is a great little drone to start out with but keep it within a KM and no, I wouldn't start taking the remote apart and potentially lose my drone with no warranty to back it up.   
2018-4-24
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Did you by chance recently do a firmware update to the AC?
If so, that may be your issue....
I have never updated anything with my AC setup when I opened my Fly More Combo box, over 14 months ago, and still rock solid,.
I have no need for the "asteroid" flight pattern,etc.  I fly it/practice it myself, or the spiral out......
2018-4-24
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 108805200 ft
  • >>>

I like to hear what everyone thinks, this has been an interesting topic of late.
2018-4-24
Use props
gcomfx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119613 ft
United States

Flycaster Posted at 2018-4-24 11:20
I have never updated anything with my AC setup when I opened my Fly More Combo box, over 14 months ago, and still rock solid,.

I did... and I think it hurt my signal greatly.  I was having a problem with "drift" while hovering.  The drone would slowly rotate during a hover while capturing video.
2018-4-24
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-4-24 10:52
I see - you do know that the Mavic Pro isn't that much bigger and the flymore combo fits in a 5L sling... I have flown it through door ways and inches over tree lines and hiked for miles with it on my back and no probs. If range and transmission signal has become more important to you now then I too would wait for the MP2 and continue learning on the Air which is a great little drone to start out with but keep it within a KM and no, I wouldn't start taking the remote apart and potentially lose my drone with no warranty to back it up.

Thank you and yes you are correct in losing the drone not being an option.
Thank you for taking the time to engage
2018-4-25
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Flycaster Posted at 2018-4-24 11:20

Thanks for your contribution.

I have updated everything everytime.

I`m still a novice and utilising "inbuilt" features are good though like yourself I try to practice "manual" maneuvers such as flying in figure of 8 etc.  I helps with developing fine coordination.
2018-4-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-4-25 00:56
Thank you and yes you are correct in losing the drone not being an option.
Thank you for taking the time to engage

No probs! Enjoy the MA - it's a great drone
2018-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules