2597 13 2018-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Elettrone78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2840512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Hi everyone, I recently bought a Galaxy S9+ rated for 1130 NITS versus Crystalsky 1000 NITS, well I was truly disappointed when I noticed that the Crystalsky is by far brighter in the sunlight than the S9+.
Anyone more tech savvy then me can help me understand how come that more NITS on the S9+ are less readable than on the CS?
Unless specs about S9+ are a big fat lie I dono't really understand.
Before buying the smartphone I looked into displaymate.com review and the data was confirmed...
I dont get it, NIts are NIts...or there is more than meets the eye?
2018-4-24
Use props
nixuspix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

AFAIK, the smartphone can produce the max brightness claimed only for a very short time. That is the difference with CS
2018-4-24
Use props
Elettrone78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

Well even for a very short time the brightness does not compare :-/
2018-4-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Anyway to compare your Galaxy S9+ to someone else S9+ to see if screens are same brightness outside?
2018-4-24
Use props
Elettrone78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-4-24 22:20
Anyway to compare your Galaxy S9+ to someone else S9+ to see if screens are same brightness outside?

Yes I'll try that
2018-4-24
Use props
Dangerousdavekincaid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 177841 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you ever get this figured out?   I am considering now the CrystalSky?   I have the Samsung S9+ and do like it for flying, so far it is the best phone I have used.
2018-12-2
Use props
Elettrone78
lvl.4
  • >>>
Spain

I figured out that when producing professional footage I do really need to see clearly what I'm capturing so I set for nothing less than the ultra bright CS.
2018-12-2
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

nixuspix Posted at 2018-4-24 11:42
AFAIK, the smartphone can produce the max brightness claimed only for a very short time. That is the difference with CS

Yeah, basically Samsung isn't being very truthful about screen brightness in normal usage.  I have the 1000 NIT CS and haven't seen any phone that'll beat it for brightness.  I'm sure they'll make one eventually, tho.
2019-1-2
Use props
Sweflyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

WayneMHK Posted at 1-2 12:25
Yeah, basically Samsung isn't being very truthful about screen brightness in normal usage.  I have the 1000 NIT CS and haven't seen any phone that'll beat it for brightness.  I'm sure they'll make one eventually, tho.

Comparable on from SmallHD is 3 times as expensive and if you double that they have one with 2500 nits
2019-1-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I assume you put the brightness all the way up.  Or you put it in auto brightness and checked to see if it went all the way up.
2021-5-12
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

WayneMHK Posted at 2019-1-2 12:25
Yeah, basically Samsung isn't being very truthful about screen brightness in normal usage.  I have the 1000 NIT CS and haven't seen any phone that'll beat it for brightness.  I'm sure they'll make one eventually, tho.

They give peak brightness, just as the other manufacturers do.  There are sites that do comparisons of phones.  Iphonedo on youtube uses a device to measure brightness.
2021-5-12
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

From link  below:  "New Samsung Galaxy flagships typically come with new peak brightness records for mobile OLEDs. However, with the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, we’re seeing brightness figures that are similar to the Note20 Ultra. That is, we’re seeing about 900 nits at full-screen white (100% APL), down to 1,500 nits at a tiny 1% APL. Most light-themed apps sit at about 75-85% APL, at which the Galaxy S21 Ultra can output about 1,000 nits. Needless to say, these are still extremely impressive brightness figures. Note that the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra (and most other Android devices) can only reach this peak brightness in high ambient lighting, such as under sunlight. Otherwise, the peak brightness for the manual brightness range is only about 400 nits for full-screen white."

https://www.xda-developers.com/g ... -review/#brightness
2021-5-13
Use props
BillAggie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 524675 ft
United States

so for anyone that is interested,  I bought the LG-G7 ThinQ phones, 2 of them, off ebay for under 100 each.  they boost to 1000 nits but only for 3 minutes at a time.   I paid a programmer to create an app for me that changes the timer to 30 minutes.  Once in the air i boost the brightness and stay at 1000 nits for the full flight time.   It works like a champ.  There is apparently a heat detector in the Lg phone in that if you bake in the sun the boost shuts off to cool the phone.  I solve this by a canopy or limit time in full -on sunlight.  I undertstand these consumer phones that will boost to really hight brightnesses do so for a short time only because of overheating.   This is excessive because I've only had my LG-G7 overheat once and that was fully in the sun.   The brightness contributes to overheating versus being the sole cause of it.   Anyhow, the one time it got hot the phone simply went to standard brightness.  It has never happened again as I try to limit full on sun for the entire flight.  In cooler weather it will never be an issue.  I think I paid 79 and 99 for gently used G7 phones and they are vital components to daytime flying.  1000 nits is substantial in sunlight.

2021-7-3
Use props
BillAggie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 524675 ft
United States

Is it 1030 NITS at full brightness or do you have a "BOOSTED" option buried in the menus?   On the LG-G7,  the boost must be manually selected and is not a part of overall brighness adjustment.   You could also have a sensor that prevents max brighness if you allow your phone to bake in the sun.  It's a protection feature.
2021-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules