Mini Strobes?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Amateur Droner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6411 ft

United States

I have contemplating the purchase of the mini strobes (that will satisfy FAA 107)?
The ads like like they would even help in daylight operations.
Your experience and or thoughts would be appreciated.
2018-4-24
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

The only lights ive found useable and suitable for the Phantom, is the Lumecube,  a pair of them https://www.lumecube.com
2018-4-24
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

You can use lume cube they are very bright and comply with faa regulations.
There are numerous types of lights out there including pen lights etc but they are more directional than the lume cubes kinda like hanging a torch from the drone which is great if your trying to spot light something at night or get that ghostly shot of light moving above the treeline.
2018-4-24
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4

United States

CineView Media Posted at 2018-4-24 13:13
The only lights ive found useable and suitable for the Phantom, is the Lumecube,  a pair of them https://www.lumecube.com

Thanks CVN, I was considering the Lumecubes for frontal lighting at night (search light) but the strobe I was thinking of is the anti-collision nav lights (white/red/green stobes) to better see (VLS) but also satisfy FAA 107 requirements. Something like the Cree Strobe Lights.
2018-4-24
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

STROBON Cree lights are nice since they are both super bright and in a small package. They work best during dusk or at night, but some people use them during the day. I can see mine from about 800 - 1,000 feet away during the day. Some people claim to be able to see them from even further away.
2018-4-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I picked up a Firehouse Technology ARC II strobe about a week ago.  It's like the Strobon Cree linked above, but significantly brighter because it has four bright Cree LEDS instead of one.  The build appears to be exactly like the Strobon, which I also have.  I would say the Firehouse ARC II is about 50% wider and also 50% longer than the Strobon Cree.  I haven't even had a chance to fly with it yet, but I can tell you, its brightness is blinding.  I'd say the ARC II is about double the brightness of the Strobon.  

https://www.firehousetechnology. ... Spark_RC_Plane.html
2018-4-24
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4

United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-4-24 14:34
I picked up a Firehouse Technology ARC II strobe about a week ago.  It's like the Strobon Cree linked above, but significantly brighter because it has four bright Cree LEDS instead of one.  The build appears to be exactly like the Strobon, which I also have.  I would say the Firehouse ARC II is about 50% wider and also 50% longer than the Strobon Cree.  I haven't even had a chance to fly with it yet, but I can tell you, its brightness is blinding.

https://www.firehousetechnology. ... Spark_RC_Plane.html

That is one of the things I was wondering, the brightness difference between the ARC and ARC ll lights (not much higher in price).
I was thinking two rear white strobes (one top one bottom) then red left (Port side) and one green right (Starboard side).
That way other aircraft (planes and helicopter's ) could see it from the required 3 miles, and I could see it as well as tell direction (orientation) of travel.
Let me know how they are when you get them airborne!
2018-4-24
Use props
msinger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The STROBON and ARC lights both use the same Cree lights. Does having more lights make it brighter? Not sure. It would probably be easier to see though if you have multiple lights strobing at the same time.

Here's a comparison:

2018-4-24
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4

United States

msinger Posted at 2018-4-24 14:49
The STROBON and ARC lights both use the same Cree lights. Does having more lights make it brighter? Not sure. It would probably be easier to see though if you have multiple lights strobing at the same time.

Here's a comparison:

How does that compare in size to say a quarter...half dollar?
2018-4-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Hmm... they didn't do a good job describing the ARC version because it includes several four-lamp photos.  I believe the ARC is two lamp, and I know the ARC II is four-lamp because I have it right here.  
2018-4-24
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4

United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-4-24 14:52
Hmm... they didn't do a good job describing the ARC version because it includes several four-lamp photos.  I believe the ARC is two lamp, and I know the ARC II is four-lamp because I have it right here.

How big is really Mark?
Edit: I just went to the link for the ARC it looks like it would sit on a quarter.

2018-4-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

If I lay it on top of a quarter, it covers it except I can barely see the edges on the narrow sides.  

It's an inch and one-eighth long and it's seven-eighths of an inch wide.  
2018-4-24
Use props
msinger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have an ARC that is 3 lamp and an ARC II that is 4 lamp. They do make 2 lamp lights, but I don't think any of the ARCs are 2 lamp lights.
2018-4-24
Use props
msinger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Amateur Droner Posted at 2018-4-24 14:53
How big is really Mark?
Edit: I just went to the link for the ARC it looks like it would sit on a quarter.

The ARC and ARC II lights are the same size. They are 1.2" x 0.9" X  0.4". They are hand assembled, so any of those measurements can be off by about 0.1 inches.
2018-4-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Strange.  My ARC II is smaller than that.  See post #12

Edit:  Ahh, I see now.  You quoted the dimensions straight from the site.  My measurements are of the device here in my hand measured with a ruler.   
2018-4-24
Use props
msinger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-4-24 15:27
Strange.  My ARC II is smaller than that.  See post #12

Got a photo of your ARC II light?

Edit: See my updated measurements above (just measured it with a digital caliper).
2018-4-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I can create one.  Give me a few mins
2018-4-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

There you go sir

2018-4-24
Use props
msinger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Scratch the photo then. I'm assuming it's the same as the photo I posted above.
2018-4-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Okay no biggy, you just owe me five mins now, no worries
2018-4-24
Use props
msinger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

For comparison, the STROBON light (from my photo above) is 0.8" X 0.6" X 0.3".
2018-4-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I'm like a genius
2018-4-24
Use props
msinger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A genius... because you know how to measure?
2018-4-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I can vouch for Lume Cubes, with their appropriate mounts, for your specific drone.
http://www.lumecube.com/164.html

With the several strobe modes available through the free Bluetooth app, and coloured filters if you want them, they are a great addition to the Phantom and other drones, flight kit experience...

RedHotPoker
2018-4-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

CineView Media Posted at 2018-4-24 13:13
The only lights ive found useable and suitable for the Phantom, is the Lumecube,  a pair of them https://www.lumecube.com

Did you buy a set of Lume Cubes yet?

RedHotPoker
2018-4-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

msinger Posted at 2018-4-24 15:53
A genius... because you know how to measure?

No.  A genius... because I said it was about 50% bigger in width and length.  See post #6

I said "like" a genius.

P.S.  You still owe me 5 mins
2018-4-24
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
  • >>>

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-4-24 16:30
Did you buy a set of Lume Cubes yet?

Yes, ive had them for a couple of years now, super happy with them, they are even producing a bright visible light in bright sunny weather.
Found that mounting them 45 degr down works great for most altitudes.
Another great thing with them, is the integrated chargeable batteries, and all the accessories you can get.
Ive even used them as video light for an interview once...
2018-4-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

CineView Media Posted at 2018-4-27 01:51
Yes, ive had them for a couple of years now, super happy with them, they are even producing a bright visible light in bright sunny weather.
Found that mounting them 45 degr down works great for most altitudes.
Another great thing with them, is the integrated chargeable batteries, and all the accessories you can get.

This is a great review and testament to the high quality and great usefulness of the Lume Cube design and build, as well their awesome bright light, that can indeed be seen very clearly even in the brightest day light. It surprised and pleased me the first time I had mine blinking. How bright and visible they remained, with one of the several strobe modes chosen, the drone literally disappeared in the clear blue sky, but yet the Lume Cubes could be seen clearly blinking, easily a couple of kilometres away.

Did you consider getting the lighthouses with a coloured filter pack? I really like using the red and blue gels. They look killer in the dark night sky. ;-)

Take the drone up twenty meters or so, and run through some of the numerous control parameters in the Lume Cube app. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-4-27
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
  • >>>

RE: Mini Strobes?

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-4-27 08:13
This is a great review and testament to the high quality and great usefulness of the Lume Cube design and build, as well their awesome bright light, that can indeed be seen very clearly even in the brightest day light. It surprised and pleased me the first time I had mine blinking. How bright and visible they remained, with one of the several strobe modes chosen, the drone literally disappeared in the clear blue sky, but yet the Lume Cubes could be seen clearly blinking, easily a couple of kilometres away.

"Did you consider getting the lighthouses with a coloured filter pack? I really like using the red and blue gels"

Yes, i got all those, as well as a bunch of the other accessories
2018-4-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

CineView Media Posted at 2018-4-27 12:30
"Did you consider getting the lighthouses with a coloured filter pack? I really like using the red and blue gels"

Yes, i got all those, as well as a bunch of the other accessories

Shall we say, You bought stock in the company.... HAha

It's an awesome little device with great and useful peripherals.

RedHotPoker
2018-4-27
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
  • >>>

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-4-27 16:20
Shall we say, You bought stock in the company.... HAha

Hah, i wish, i just think its important to credit great products so the companies can continue to provide us with them into the future...
2018-5-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

CineView Media Posted at 2018-5-8 14:31
Hah, i wish, i just think its important to credit great products so the companies can continue to provide us with them into the future...

Yes, we are amongst several good ones, right here on this forum. Aren't we. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules