Phantom 4 Advanced - Return To Home Not Working
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa3962718
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I have been through this issue with two  Phantom 4 Advance models, with the second being sent to DJI for supposed repair.  ( I also own a Mavic Pro).

For whatever reason, the RTH feature just does not work.  I am flying more than 20 meters away from the Home Point that supposedly is being set on take off, in fact, I have had it as far away as 396 feet.  Each time, when I push the RTH button on the controller, the drone lands at a point from where it is as the present location, not the Home Point.

I have recalibrated the IMU, Compass, and Gimbal several times thinking this may be the issue.  The "supposed" repair that I just got back, (I think all DJI did was send me either a new drone, controller, or both, has the same issue.

Again, I am so used to this feature working with my Mavic Pro and would like to get this resolved with the Phantom 4.  Does anyone have any suggestions or instructions as to what could possibly be causing this?  Thanks in advance so much for anyone that can help!!!
2018-4-25
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.
2018-4-25
Use props
sidbueddro
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Thanks.  Will get that info downloaded/uploaded later today.
2018-4-25
Use props
sidbueddro
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Here's the link....I also have a flight log taken from when I tried using my iPhone X......will upload that in a bit.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/JD2RF6ACEOWHEWV3ZLJV/
2018-4-25
Use props
sidbueddro
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Here's the flight log from my iPhone:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/JYJVGRRHE9CLFGB7060Z/
2018-4-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

sidbueddro Posted at 2018-4-25 13:35
Here's the link....I also have a flight log taken from when I tried using my iPhone X......will upload that in a bit.

The aircraft did exactly what it is designed to do. I saw at least two times that you pressed RTH, and in both cases you were only 59 feet away from the Home Point. the log says: '    Obstacle Avoidance will be disabled in landing.; Aircraft close to Home Point. "go home" shifts to "landing".

You are inside the 20 Metre zone, in which case the aircraft will land where it is, as stated in the log and the manual.
2018-4-25
Use props
sidbueddro
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

That may have been for this particular flight attempt.  Here's a link to the log from flight attempts using my ipad Mini:

2018-4-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I am flying more than 20 meters away from the Home Point that supposedly is being set on take off, in fact, I have had it as far away as 396 feet.
Are you sure?
The flight logs you posted have you flying close to home and initiating RTH closer than 20 metres from home.
2018-4-25
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Yep,  looks like you were obviously a lot closer than you thought.
2018-4-25
Use props
sidbueddro
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Am not well versed on reading these logs. I am going by the number of feet in height/altitude, that is showing on the DJI display, which is the IMU altitude.....correct??  .I have had it up to 396 feet when attempting an RTH.
2018-4-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

sidbueddro Posted at 2018-4-25 15:38
Am not well versed on reading these logs. I am going by the number of feet in height/altitude, that is showing on the DJI display, which is the IMU altitude.....correct??  .I have had it up to 396 feet when attempting an RTH.

The altitude is not the issue, it is the horizontal distance you are away from the Home Point that triggers a landing if within 20 Metres.
2018-4-25
Use props
sidbueddro
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

So even if I am 330 feet high in altitude, I have to be at least 65 feet horizontally away from the Home Point?  So to measure that, I should be paying more attention the Distance reading than the Height reading?
2018-4-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

sidbueddro Posted at 2018-4-25 15:48
So even if I am 330 feet high in altitude, I have to be at least 65 feet horizontally away from the Home Point?  So to measure that, I should be paying more attention the Distance reading than the Height reading?

Yes, exactly. And just to add to the problem, if you are close in and flying almost straight overhead, you may get loss of signal. Overhead is not a good place to fly.

2018-4-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for the participants above. Regarding the RTH logic, please refer to the manual below, details needed, please visit here. rth.png
2018-4-25
Use props
sidbueddro
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Thanks to all for your input and help!
2018-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules