Lost Mavic Air in the Creek
2025 28 2018-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DTWENTY18
lvl.2
Flight distance : 235026 ft
United States

I've only owned my Mavic Air for one month. Just thought I share my story on here. It's been a heartbreaking road not having my Mavic Air anymore. It has been lost for about a month now.

Here's the story:

I wanted to get some specticular shots over a creek that only occurs during raining season. So I set out on my adventure. I completed my mission and was flying the drone back to me for a final view of the creek as it makes its way back to me. I flew it relatively low and slow over the creek. I look down on my phone and notice a tree branch showing in the camera view of my drone camera so I peeked over to where the drone should be to see how big the tree is but I couldn't see the drone; so I look back down at my phone again and all I saw next was my camera view showing my drone falling. At this point my heart stop pounding, stop breathing and I ran towards where I think the drone should have been at. I walked down the embankment to see if I can spot the drone - Nothing! I look at the tree to see if it's hanging off tree branches - Nothing! I look at the creek to see if it's floating away at the top of the water - Nothing! Guilt, shame, embarassment came over me as I stood there at the lower end of the embankment asking myself these questions

"What have I done?"

"That's a lot of money gone!"

The creek eventually dried out about a week later and I went searching for the drone and no where could I find the drone. No rock was left unturned, tall grasses were moved, loose dirt were shifted, walked a quarter mile on the creek logically and no success. Each time I went out to look for it I came home empty handed. Wife wasn't too happy about it when I told her about the drone.

So today - I have finally decided to come out and share my story in hopes that it will help me move on. :-(

Here's a video of the creek:

2018-4-25
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

You should control your drone by looking on it not the screen when flying in complicated area. I almost lost my one in the similar place. Simple issue can become worse in the dangerous places.
2018-4-25
Use props
MIX_DP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50397 ft
Ukraine

So sorry to reading that (
Did you try "Find my drone" from DJI GO App?
2018-4-25
Use props
DTWENTY18
lvl.2
United States

GDL Posted at 2018-4-25 05:13
You should control your drone by looking on it not the screen when flying in complicated area. I almost lost my one in the similar place. Simple issue can become worse in the dangerous places.

Thanks for the tip "GDL." My eyes were on the drone for the most part - it was just the last trip back to me that I lost track of where the drone actually was so I depended on the phone to help me see where I was with the drone. And it didn't take long before I realize it crash and fell into the creek.

Thanks for reading my story. Appreciated.
2018-4-25
Use props
DTWENTY18
lvl.2
United States

MIX_DP Posted at 2018-4-25 05:14
So sorry to reading that (
Did you try "Find my drone" from DJI GO App?

Thanks for the tip MIX_DP I was unable to utilize the "Find my drone" feature as the drone lost its power when it hit the water. I could tell the drone lost it's power because the app didn't show it being connected anymore as well as the remote. :-(
2018-4-25
Use props
PMG
lvl.3
Canada

Had you purchased Care Refresh?
2018-4-25
Use props
DTWENTY18
lvl.2
United States

PMG Posted at 2018-4-25 05:20
Had you purchased Care Refresh?

I was offer that multiple times when purchasing my drone at the time but I declined it. But I did do some in-depth research on whether the DJI Refresh plan would cover the drone. It was a "maybe" if I could send in my water damage drone. Which in my case was a no go since I couldn't find my drone :-(

Great tip as well PMG
2018-4-25
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lesson learned, personally I never go for the risky shots, it’s just too much money lost...
2018-4-25
Use props
DTWENTY18
lvl.2
United States

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-4-25 05:48
Lesson learned, personally I never go for the risky shots, it’s just too much money lost...

I sure did learned that the hard way. Thanks for the reminder R&L Aerial
2018-4-25
Use props
Robothamster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51135 ft
United Kingdom

Unlucky, easily done I'm sure.

I can understand the heartbreak, I'd be the same.
2018-4-25
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

I always try to fly my drone by seeing it. A few times I lost sight of it for short time because too far or my view black by trees. The drone coming out on the place I completely not expected. You may never know where the drone actually go when just look on the screen. Luckily it didn’t cause any problem but scared me a lot!
2018-4-25
Use props
Gimbali
First Officer
Flight distance : 1086276 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry for your loss.

Did you check the Go4 app on your device for the Air's-eye view of the crash?
Probably a painful watch if there is any but it may reveal more detail as to how things unfolded.
2018-4-25
Use props
DTWENTY18
lvl.2
United States

Gimbali Posted at 2018-4-25 06:04
Sorry for your loss.

Did you check the Go4 app on your device for the Air's-eye view of the crash?

Gimbali Prior to losing my drone I had just completed dialing in my settings on the drone and app. One of the settings I disable was the caching of drone footage onto my phone. And well what do you know - I should have left that on :-(
2018-4-25
Use props
Datadogie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27028 ft
Netherlands

DTWENTY18 Posted at 2018-4-25 05:39
I was offer that multiple times when purchasing my drone at the time but I declined it. But I did do some in-depth research on whether the DJI Refresh plan would cover the drone. It was a "maybe" if I could send in my water damage drone. Which in my case was a no go since I couldn't find my drone :-(

Great tip as well PMG

You need to have a drone for care refresh. Unfortunately you lost your drone. Had you found it, it would have been replaced.
2018-4-25
Use props
gcomfx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119613 ft
United States

Ugh.... that sucks.  I almost did that with mine, but it was standing water and not flowing luckily...  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid1322918

Were you recording when it went down?  If so, you might have a 720p video of it on your phone that will show you it's last location.  At least throw that video on YouTube and make a memorial video for it.  RIP Mavic Air.
2018-4-25
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61932 ft

South Africa

Help me understand when people get into these situations why do you not just "hit the air brakes" and stop and hover and then go find it while it's still alive. Just asking.
2018-4-25
Use props
DTWENTY18
lvl.2
United States

gcomfx Posted at 2018-4-25 06:48
Ugh.... that sucks.  I almost did that with mine, but it was standing water and not flowing luckily...  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=145495&page=1#pid1322918

Were you recording when it went down?  If so, you might have a 720p video of it on your phone that will show you it's last location.  At least throw that video on YouTube and make a memorial video for it.  RIP Mavic Air.

It was recording but unfortunately I turned off the caching to the my phone so I don't have the recording. Wish I did.
2018-4-25
Use props
DTWENTY18
lvl.2
United States

Kevjones1959 Posted at 2018-4-25 07:23
Help me understand when people get into these situations why do you not just "hit the air brakes" and stop and hover and then go find it while it's still alive. Just asking.

Very good point Kevjones1959 I however did pause and stopped moving but I think I stopped a little too close to the object and it went down :-(
2018-4-25
Use props
Kevjones1959
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61932 ft

South Africa

DTWENTY18 Posted at 2018-4-25 07:38
Very good point Kevjones1959 I however did pause and stopped moving but I think I stopped a little too close to the object and it went down :-(

Shame man ... this was not intended as a snide remark at all bud. It's just that having also "lost" control or orientation a few times on mine. I just stop the thing and then work out where I am and go again. Hope you back in the air.
2018-4-26
Use props
Thudd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1624787 ft

Sorry to hear Brother. I'm sure you searched well. If it were me, I'd walk that creek until I reached the ocean.      Fast moving water carries far.
2018-4-26
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Sorry about your loss, drones like open spaces, near obstacles you sholud see them - camera is no good for such cases. Sorry again
2018-4-26
Use props
DTWENTY18
lvl.2
United States

Thudd Posted at 2018-4-26 03:32
Sorry to hear Brother. I'm sure you searched well. If it were me, I'd walk that creek until I reached the ocean.      Fast moving water carries far.

Thudd You bring up a good point. I may just go back and re-trace my steps again to see if it magically showed up. It has rain two more times since I lost it. The rain has pass and it's been 85 degrees for the last week or so. Will update you all for sure if I find it.

Finger's Cross :-)
2018-4-26
Use props
DTWENTY18
lvl.2
United States

alex_markov Posted at 2018-4-26 03:46
Sorry about your loss, drones like open spaces, near obstacles you sholud see them - camera is no good for such cases. Sorry again

alex_markov Yeah - I'm feeling sorry for myself as well. Will try for another search and rescue in the few days here to see if I can find it.
2018-4-26
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft

Best of luck! There's people on here who found the aircraft after going back the third or fourth time.
2018-4-26
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Man, that's heartbreaking to read.  Here's to hoping you find it, or get back in the air soon.
I'm sure it's a tough lesson learned.  But you sharing your story here will be of some help.  Especially to new pilots.  If your story saves one drone from a watery grave, then you've done the community a service!
I encourage everyone to read the forums a lot before they purchase/fly a drone.

I personally read the forums and did research for 3 months before I actually purchased mine.  Stories like this have basically shaped the approach I take to each flight.

Thanks for sharing
2018-4-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sad to hear.
Hope you will find it soon.
2018-4-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'm so sorry for your loss. Hope everything will be fine soon.
2018-4-26
Use props
DTWENTY18
lvl.2
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-4-26 06:56
Man, that's heartbreaking to read.  Here's to hoping you find it, or get back in the air soon.
I'm sure it's a tough lesson learned.  But you sharing your story here will be of some help.  Especially to new pilots.  If your story saves one drone from a watery grave, then you've done the community a service!
I encourage everyone to read the forums a lot before they purchase/fly a drone.

Very well said and wise in your part for doing extensive homework before purchasing. I will continue to be on here as I will plan to buy another Mavic Air in the near future.
2018-4-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read that - hope you get a replacement soon enough!   
2018-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules