Bad WiFi signal
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Purexplosive
lvl.2
Flight distance : 83465 ft
United States

I recently crashed my phjantom 3 standard, in the crash all the cables got riped out of the gimbal and after re crimping the ones for the wifi my range is severely laking. I don't know what both Wifi intenna things do so I dont know what the exact problem is or could even be. I would like to add that my transmitter range is still good it is just image transmition, and that i have tested on three phones with varying results but none as good as it was before the crash. I just want some pointers although it is probably likely that I will have to order replacement intennas.
2018-4-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

From what I have gathered from reading P3S threads like this one, you can't just re-crimp the gimbal cables because IIRC the wifi module is inside that gimbal, and RF as it moves through the cables needs to have a very nice solid path to flow efficiently.  RF does not move through wires like electricity.  You need to replace those cables and have solid connections on each end.  The task likely won't be easy because I believe one of those cable plugs are adhered to the board with silicone.  

The control signal receiver is in the aircraft and would not necessarily be affected from a crash as you described.

Disclaimer:  I don't own a P3S

Good luck

2018-4-25
Use props
Purexplosive
lvl.2
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-4-25 16:49
From what I have gathered from reading P3S threads like this one, you can't just re-crimp the gimbal cables because IIRC the wifi module is inside that gimbal, and RF as it moves through the cables needs to have a very nice solid path to flow efficiently.  RF does not move through wires like electricity.  You need to replace those cables and have solid connections on each end.  The task likely won't be easy.  

The control signal receiver is in the aircraft and would not be affected.

Thank you for the help (I Probably should have looked a little harder) and from what i have gathered i might as well just replace the antennas.
2018-4-25
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Are you referring to the black and gray wires?
2018-4-25
Use props
SuperEpicJojo
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-4-25 17:00
Are you referring to the black and gray wires?

Yes (why is there a ten character minimum?)
2018-4-25
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Forum regulation.  Did the connectors rip off the board or did the wires break?
2018-4-25
Use props
SuperEpicJojo
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-4-25 17:10
Forum regulation.  Did the connects rip off the board or did the wires break?

Connectors ripped off of the board.
2018-4-25
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

If the connection posts are damaged, then you will need a new board also.  BTW, those wires are a real pain to replace in the AC.
2018-4-25
Use props
SuperEpicJojo
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-4-25 17:16
If the connection posts are damaged, then you will need a new board also.  BTW, those wires are a real pain to replace in the AC.

Thank you, i doubt the board is damaged but i plan on fiddling with it some more this weekend.
2018-4-25
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Good luck......hope ya get it going.  These things do happen.
2018-4-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry to hear the crash. I suggest sending the drone in for repair. Please contact our support on the following page to start a case if needed: http://www.dji.com/support

2018-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules