Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro Gimbal / Camera Freaking-out and other problems
6438 10 2018-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Urhokas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 290525 ft
Finland

Starting new thead to update recent mavic pro quality problem stories.

copy from other thread:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have very similar problem in my Dji mavic pro. First "freaking gimbal" problem was rare. Happened about 1/15-20 flight. Recently this happens more often. Like 1/8 flights.
Made little video from footage i got:

Problem starts usually from starting video recording mid-flight or in middle of recording. One time gimbal went awol when i was shooting just photos.

First gimbal seem to "drop". Camera hangs usually freely on mercy of copter other movement. Happily flight controls were not affected at all.
At the same time mavic´s internal recording almost always stops. Videolink works whole time but phones recording stops little later. At this time camera and gimbal controls are not responding. After 10-20 seconds camera starts jitter more and weird "focusing" effect appear. I think that camera resets itself. Camera returns most often working order 30seconds after that. Althought sometimes have to land and shut mavic down and reboot. After mavic returns working order it usually works flawlessy at least all my 3 batteries flight time.

Have tried all sensor calibration and resets. I remember that earlier firmwares needed more land-off/shutdown procedures. In newer firmwares almost always camera returns working in flight after 30-45 seconds. Weather/wind/etc seem not to effect this problem. Flight records dont show any warnings (sometimes wind warning off-course), but no gimbal overload warning or anything.

Also controllers photo button have been getting stuck sometimes. Video button seem not have same problem but when photo gest stuck it just keeps taking photos and i have to wiggle it little bit to make it stop.
Going to send mavic to warranty soon.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Little update to previous post. Send mavic to warranty with my reseller about 4 weeks ago. Yesterday got email that the copter its on way back to me. Not the fastest repair but not the longest either. Got also update that something called "Gimbal control board" was changed. We shall see if thats make any diffrence on this problem..  Controller photo button, that keep getting stuck, was also replaced.
Cant wait to fly again after over 4 weeks of waiting Missed many nice spring days :/
---------------------------------------------------------------

So i got mavic back to warranty 2 days ago. First noticed that the controller had been swapped to complete new one. Thats fine, but in this unit left antenna is too loosee. It wont stay upright position in all angles.
Yesterday connected new controller to mavic, updated, calibrated imu and compass. First flight mavic warned bad compass. Took it down calibrate compass again in different spot. After that flight went well and everything seem to work.

Today went to fly again with all my 3 batteries. First flight went beatifully. Video recorded almost 15min straight. Some photos and rest of flight more videos. No problem at all.

But on second flight gimbal freak out returned
Gimbal Control board swap does not to seem effect problem at all.. Tried to start new video in middle of flight. Video did not start and gimbal hang freely about 20 seconds. Gimbal controls were unresponsive whole that time and no video were recorded in memory card or in phone. Rest of the flight and flight after that worked again without hitch..

Very dissapointed in Dji quality control. i send info about this to reseller. Thinking what to do now.. There´s many things in coming month that i like to get aerial footage, but shooting them is little tricky with this condition because freak-out seem to happens complete random times This first warranty repair was over 4 weeks.

2018-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s not good enough, but the fact that you need it for upcoming events, I would recommend IMU calibration and gimbal calibration, if this does not work I think you should be demanding a totally new unit.
Good luck.
2018-4-26
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Please tell me the firmware of the drone and the version of the app. I would help you forward this situation. Did you shoot a video of the situation? You can PM us the case number for more info. Please keep us updated, thanks.
2018-4-26
Use props
Urhokas
lvl.4
Finland

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-26 03:48
Please tell me the firmware of the drone and the version of the app. I would help you forward this situation. Did you shoot a video of the situation? You can PM us the case number for more info. Please keep us updated, thanks.

I have not mavic in hand right now, but firmware is newest possible. Updated it and dji go app yesterday before first flight after repairs. Firmware does not seem effect this. As i write earlier problem started last fall and i have updated firmware and app always when new is available.

Reseller (verkkokauppa.com) did not give me any case number. They handled warranty (reseller are obligated by law handle repairs here in finland). Got message just now that to send copter and controller to them again..
Today i was starting video recording when camera went awol. Similar than first clip of youtube video that i posted. No video were recorded on memory card or phone. Camera/gimbal just hangs freely about 20 seconds and then resets itself and then i can shoot again normally.
2018-4-26
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Urhokas Posted at 2018-4-26 06:01
I have not mavic in hand right now, but firmware is newest possible. Updated it and dji go app yesterday before first flight after repairs. Firmware does not seem effect this. As i write earlier problem started last fall and i have updated firmware and app always when new is available.

Reseller (verkkokauppa.com) did not give me any case number. They handled warranty (reseller are obligated by law handle repairs here in finland). Got message just now that to send copter and controller to them again..

In your case, I would recommend you contact your reseller and see if they can provide you case number. If not, please wait patiently and keep us updated when you need help.
2018-5-4
Use props
gr4v1ty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2723 ft
Norway

How did you get your problem solved? Mine's doing the same thing at it's making ME freak out!
2018-8-13
Use props
Urhokas
lvl.4
Finland

gr4v1ty Posted at 2018-8-13 05:56
How did you get your problem solved? Mine's doing the same thing at it's making ME freak out!

Freaking out stopped when i  started using only included 16gb and Sandisk 32gb (MicroSDHC U1).
So at least in my replecemet unit work with these cards. Earlier when using different cards problem occured at random. I have 2 Sandisk 64gb MicroSDXC (class10)card which both seem to trigger freaking-out. Also some older Samsung card did do the same and i´m quiet sure also Samsung EVO Plus Micro SDXC 64gb U3 cuts video sometimes. Those cards that cause freaking-out seem to work just fine in other cameras and to conected to computer.
Have not used any other cards after discovered that those 2 card that works.

Mavic seem to be extremely picky about memory card and some cards just works hours without issues and then cause freaking out at random times. To me this seem to be some kind of software design fault. Off course all cameras cut video out when using bad or too slow memory card. But i have not seen one before that freaks out and complete reset itself slowly. Most regular cameras shuts video off and says "too slow memory card" when trying to record 4k footage to old sd-card. Camera is usually complete ready after message to shoot again.

My replecement mavic its on warranty again now for other reason.. As mentioned earlier left antenna in replecemt controller was loose when it arrived from first repair. Not a big problem and i would not have sended back if not this other fault:

This 2. unit have much worse gimbal than to first one. Horizon does go much more angle when flying sideways. When flying sideways to left gimbal turns left and flying sideways to right angle is more right. This is especially bad when flying towards to the wind (and sometimes even when hovering sideways to wind).
All calibration are done many times and updates are in order in my mavic. Off course you can tilt gimbal from the settings, but its have to be done every time when flying towards different side or wind. If i set horizon level when flying toward wind sideways - horizon its crooked to other side when flying back to down wind. This occurs also when there is no or minimal wind. frustrating when trying to get long video shot when flying sideways. At stop/hovering horizon its level - When start to fly left whole frame turns left. Crooked angle is easy to turn in edit but when there are stationary and flying sideways part in same shot getting horizon level is quit hard :/
This seem to be quit common issue in many dji drones. Did´t expect perfect horizon but when it was this much worse in second unit. Had to send to warranty again
2018-8-14
Use props
Urhokas
lvl.4
Finland

Just got message that another replacement unit its on its way back. Hopefully third time's the charm
2018-8-14
Use props
gr4v1ty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2723 ft
Norway

Urhokas Posted at 2018-8-14 01:52
Freaking out stopped when i  started using only included 16gb and Sandisk 32gb (MicroSDHC U1).
So at least in my replecemet unit work with these cards. Earlier when using different cards problem occured at random. I have 2 Sandisk 64gb MicroSDXC (class10)card which both seem to trigger freaking-out. Also some older Samsung card did do the same and i´m quiet sure also Samsung EVO Plus Micro SDXC 64gb U3 cuts video sometimes. Those cards that cause freaking-out seem to work just fine in other cameras and to conected to computer.
Have not used any other cards after discovered that those 2 card that works.

The bad thing in my case is that this freaking out occurs WITH the included 16GB memory card...
2018-8-15
Use props
fans1f86fa96
New

United Kingdom

Interesting experience with different memory cards. I will have to try that because I’m having exactly the same problem. Very good description of the fault btw, exactly the same issue.

Any other potential solutions would be appreciated also, certainly just calibrating the gimble and sensors doesn’t resolve it.

Thanks.
2018-11-13
Use props
Daniel_1314
New
Flight distance : 16306 ft
Canada

I also have the exact same issue with my Mavic Pro. I have been using the same micro SD card and it never gave me any issues until last year. I have tried purchasing a different SD card (V30, U3) and still received the issue again. Even tried to film at a lower resolution. Not sure what to do, are there any other solutions that you guys found worked?
2021-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules