3083 16 2018-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Linuxglobal
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380121 ft
Canada

Hi Guys,

Recently got into the X5 camera market for my Inspire 1 V2. Just worried about some issues or perhaps its lack of knowledge on my part.
- Latest firmare
- Base Zenmuse X5
- DJI 15mm Prime Lens stock lens with hood and balance ring

Just wondering if you guys are noticing a lot of motor noise with the X5, during start up and also sometiems when the motor moves around.
I saw some jello effect in the video today but I have only had it up in the air for about 20 mins total so far and wind may have caused it.  

Angle camera  off (without lens cap) + hood + balance ring

angle with hood + balance ring

angle with hood + balance ring

Angle camera off (with lens cap installed) + hood + balance ring

angle with lens cap + hood + balance ring

angle with lens cap + hood + balance ring

Maybe it is an issue with my stock 15mm lens but the camera is also off balance, when turned off it seems to be very back heavy (lens points up).
The auto calibration works and is successful, however when the camera turns around facing backwards, it points up, and goes limp, then comes back to life and completes calibration. My x3 does not go limp like that when doing the same move (calibration only).

Video of startup, random limp after startup, and then calibration with screeching noise (ignore the sensor noise from drone -- popping).

I am just making some general observations compared to my X3 cameras. Video is exceptional but some issues worry me long term.
- odd startup noises
- random limp actions (22 sec into video)
- offbalance when off (pitch axis)
Thanks for any input from others.

2018-4-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, it is normal when you power on the aircraft, there may be noise from the gimbal during the self-checking process. It is also normal that the gimbal may off-balance when off, but for the random limp, does it happen every time? What kind of balancing ring did you mount? Were all the firmware updated to the latest version?
2018-4-27
Use props
Linuxglobal
lvl.3

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-27 01:36
Hi there, it is normal when you power on the aircraft, there may be noise from the gimbal during the self-checking process. It is also normal that the gimbal may off-balance when off, but for the random limp, does it happen every time? What kind of balancing ring did you mount? Were all the firmware updated to the latest version?

Hi Mindy

Thank you for the fast reply.

The Limp on startup occurs 90% of the time. I have only had the camera for a day and it has done it every startup with the exception of maybe 1-2 just stayed level.

The calibration limp when facing reverse occurs every time.

The balance ring used is the one that was included with the Dji factory 15mm lens, I can check the exact code but I believe the code ends in 46-10 on the balance ring.

I have opened a Dji support ticket to check if it needs to be sent in for verification.
2018-4-27
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi Linuxgolbal,

Something went wrong with your X5 with 15mm lens.

If the specified balance ring or a filter was mounted on the 15mm lens with hood also mounted, the X5 should be staying level regardless of whether the rubber dust cover was installed. At 23 seconds into the video the limping X5 bouncing twice at the rearward limit of the pitch motor indicated that the X5 was seriously out-of-balance. It seems the back heavy X5 in your case was overloading the pitch motor hence the strange sound and the intermittent limps.

Was your X5 a refurbished one?

Henry
2018-4-27
Use props
Linuxglobal
lvl.3
Canada

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2018-4-27 06:54
Hi Linuxgolbal,

Something went wrong with your X5 with 15mm lens.

Hi Henry,

Thanks for the info.

The X5 was a refurb yes, however it was looked over by DJI before I received it.

I just finished talking to DJI support and they have seen the video as well, they told me all looks normal and that the x5 angle looks correct when powered off. They did not mention any concerns and the camera is in pristine condition, looks brand new to me.

I have ordered some filters for the camera to see if this will help the motor.

There are no overload errors on the pitch motor or errors of any kind. The video looks very good so far, but I have only had it in the air for maybe 10-20 minutes total.

have all of my documentation, the chat agent told me to fly it some more, and the break in period noises should go away. If the issues persist I will send it in for repair.

I found this video of how to balance the gimbal and the user also states the original X5 is not perfectly balanced, you can see in the clip when he lets go of the camera the lens moves up like mine. Im hoping the filter will add the slight amount of weight to keep it mostly level.

Looking forward to more suggestions .. and will be posting some flight videos after the weekend. Hopefully the TB48 can give me some decent 15 min flight times.

2018-4-27
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Linuxglobal Posted at 2018-4-27 06:59
Hi Henry,

Thanks for the info.

Hi Linuxglobal,

At 23 seconds into the video the limping X5 bounced twice at the rearward limit of the pitch motor, indicated that the X5 was seriously out-of-balance.

If you have some 46mm dia. filters handy, try adding one by one to balance the X5 and see if the strange sound goes away and the limping situation disappears. If that is the case, I think the balanced X5 can perform as it should be.

Henry
2018-4-27
Use props
Linuxglobal
lvl.3
Canada

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2018-4-27 07:07
Hi Linuxglobal,

At 23 seconds into the video the limping X5 bouncing twice at the rearward limit of the pitch motor indicated that the X5 was seriously out-of-balance.

I actually just left the cap installed as it appeared to stay level (powered off).

When it did the start up dance, it once again did the quick limp and revert to regular.

I'm not sure about this "beak in period" for the motors. But then again I'm not a DJI tech so i have to trust their response as they will have to review the unit if the pitch motor fails down the road.

I only have one flight on the unit and it was very stable in the air, one little jello instance but it was a very windy day.

My Filters will arrive tomorrow from amazon to post some results.
Maybe next time I will send in the camera and lens together.
2018-4-27
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Linuxglobal Posted at 2018-4-27 07:10
I actually just left the cap installed as it appeared to stay level (powered off).

When it did the start up dance, it once again did the quick limp and revert to regular.

OK, now I understand you have a balanced setup when you left the cap on. That was strange.

Was the startup dance you referred in Post #7 (during which the X5 once again did the quick limp) performed with the cap installed?

Henry
2018-4-27
Use props
Linuxglobal
lvl.3
Canada

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2018-4-27 07:20
OK, I understand you have a balanced setup when you left the cap on.

Was the startup dance you referred in Post #7 (during which the X5 once again did the quick limp) performed with the cap installed?

I dont fully recall, I will do the startup with the cap attached tonight.

From memory I believe it was doing the limp even with the cap attached during startup (which appeared balanced powered off).

I fear the issue is a weak pitch motor/fault pitch controller. The roll and yaw axes are solid and noise free. Just my observation.

2018-4-27
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Linuxglobal Posted at 2018-4-27 07:25
I dont fully recall, I will do the startup with the cap attached tonight.

From memory I believe it was doing the limp even with the cap attached during startup (which appeared balanced powered off).

It could either be a faulty pitch motor / faulty pitch controller or just an overloaded pitch motor due to out-of-balance system.

Let us know your findings after starting up with the cap installed.

Happy flying.

Henry
2018-4-27
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Linuxglobal Posted at 2018-4-27 06:59
Hi Henry,

Thanks for the info.

At 2:01 in this video, this guy got his hands off his X5 with 15mm lens and we can see the setup was back heavy. It was because his setup was without the hood.

Henry
2018-4-27
Use props
Linuxglobal
lvl.3
Canada

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2018-4-27 07:42
At 2:01 in this video, this guy got his hands off his X5 with 15mm lens and we can see the setup was back heavy. It was because his setup was without the hood.

Henry

might be a silly topic .. but does it matter if the 15mm lens was from a X5 or X5S ?

Are the weights different ? The store lists both lenses as compatible for the X5 series of cameras.

I will take close up pics of my lens and balance rings.
2018-4-27
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

There is only one model of DJI 15mm F:1.7 lens ever produced by DJI. I do not aware of any variance of it. This model is basically the same as Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH.

Henry
2018-4-27
Use props
Linuxglobal
lvl.3
Canada

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2018-4-27 08:45
There is only one model of DJI 15mm F:1.7 lens ever produced by DJI. I have not notice any variance of this model ever produced. This model is basically the same as Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH.

Henry
So the lens is correct as ordered to fit all X5 units, and that is the correct camera.
DJI Support has contacted me to arrange and have the camera unit and lens sent back for inspection / testing of the pitch motor whine noise.

I will try it this weekend and Monday shes off to California.

Updates to follow

2018-4-27
Use props
Mark Rivera
lvl.1
  • >>>

For the money you pay for this lens, there should be ZERO issues or fiddling with balancing.  I had strange noises at start up on mine and when the fans kicked in you couldn't have a mic with in 6 ft. or it would pick up the noise.  I returned it and will go back to the x3.  Disappointing!  Especially for a company like DJI.
2018-5-15
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

Linuxglobal Posted at 2018-4-27 07:10

When it did the start up dance, it once again did the quick limp and revert to regular.

Actually installing the lens cover should make the lens very front heavy and force it to point down (with aircraft not powered) So I would speculate that the lens IS seriously out of balance. It might be prudent to remove the balance ring and weigh it to see if it is not within specs.  I frankly don't know the exact weight it should be but I'm sure someone here can help with that. The Jello issue you had also indicates out of balance or a vibration caused elsewhere, I think it's the gimbal working overtime to maintain balance.
2018-5-16
Use props
Linuxglobal
lvl.3
Canada

mixchief Posted at 2018-5-16 05:38
Actually installing the lens cover should make the lens very front heavy and force it to point down (with aircraft not powered) So I would speculate that the lens IS seriously out of balance. It might be prudent to remove the balance ring and weigh it to see if it is not within specs.  I frankly don't know the exact weight it should be but I'm sure someone here can help with that. The Jello issue you had also indicates out of balance or a vibration caused elsewhere, I think it's the gimbal working overtime to maintain balance.

I havent had much time to fly my inspire and I used the X3 on a few recent flights to get more run time.

I added a filter to the front and it seems to be much better.
The lens is the oem 15mm DJI lens, so unless the camera unit off balance, im not too sure how the lens could become out of balance.

DJI has been good so far and offered to check out the camera again if needed.
I think there were high winds that day with the jello effect, issue was not present in my most recent X5 flight.

Thanks for the ongoing input, will follow up if anything new comes up
Happy flying
2018-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules