Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Personal Hotspots
1319 8 2018-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marcel_911
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18901 ft
United Kingdom

I use an iPad Mini 4 Wi-Fi only tablet for controlling my Air.

If I want internet for getting maps etc  I could always switch on personal hotspot on my iPhone X and get the iPad to connect to that.

Do you think this is going to cause serious issues with the RC connection to the Air? I'm one of these people that don't want to send the Air off to the limits of it's range.
It will only be VLS where I can still actully see it as a dot in the sky.
2018-4-27
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 21086 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't have any personal experience to share, only an instinct and perhaps caution.  The instinct side say's "why bother" with the additional complexity if it isn't adding any necessary benefit.   If the iPad is your monitor/controller I believe that it's only function should be to connect to the aircraft.  When I fly with either my iPad or phone there are no other applications or functions operating, keeping the 'CPU' focused on the flight demands.  Maps can be cached via internet connection before you leave home by starting up Go 4,  bringing the map screen up, zooming to the area in which you'll fly (plus a mile or two each direction).  Leave the App open and it will stay in the cache.
2018-4-27
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 21086 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't have any personal experience to share, only an instinct and perhaps caution.  The instinct side say's "why bother" with the additional complexity if it isn't adding any necessary benefit.   If the iPad is your monitor/controller I believe that it's only function should be to connect to the aircraft.  When I fly with either my iPad or phone there are no other applications or functions operating, keeping the 'CPU' focused on the flight demands.  Maps can be cached via internet connection before you leave home by starting up Go 4,  bringing the map screen up, zooming to the area in which you'll fly (plus a mile or two each direction).  Leave the App open and it will stay in the cache.
2018-4-27
Use props
3-D
Captain
Flight distance : 517598 ft
United States

I do basically the same thing.

When i started flying (2 weeks ago), I pulled out an old Samsung Note4 that i was no longer using and made it my controller.  That way, i would not use my active phone for it.  ( i don't have a tablet for mine yet.)

I do have a personal hot spot, and i do turn it on and connect via WiFi on the Note to have internet access.
It doesn't seem to affect my flights in any way.  I have flown a little further than VLOS a few times. ( The Mavic Air is tiny and flying just 1/4 mile will put it out of VLOS without assistance.  I did have a spotter with binoculars to keep an eye on the drone)  The only thing I caution you of is to make sure that notifications are turned off.  There is nothing more irritating than to get a notification of an app update during a flight.
But here is the flip side to that.  If you are keeping the drone in VLOS, how are the maps really helping?
2018-4-27
Use props
nywrecker
First Officer
Flight distance : 832421 ft
United States

Hi, I also fly my Air with a wifi only iPad Mini 4. I am not understanding what you mean by "getting maps, etc." The aircraft has GPS. When I finish my flights I can see them clearly mapped (as in google maps) when I review the flights under Flight Records on the DJI GO 4 app. What am I missing?
2018-4-27
Use props
marcel_911
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18901 ft
United Kingdom

Why I'd want to do it wasn't the question really. I just like to see the aircraft on the bottom corner of the screen overlaid on a real map/satellite image. It's not essential.

I was just wondering if the relatively strong wifi signal from the phone would desence the receiver on the RC enough to lose contact with the Air much sooner than it would normally. I know it will at longer range, but in VLOS would it make any noticeable difference.
2018-4-27
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 38060446 ft
  • >>>

You should be fine using WiFi along with your wired connection but don't quote me.
2018-4-27
Use props
JEZ2
First Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

I would just make sure you are connected to the hotspot before you connect to the drone.  It seems like the MA doesn't switch channels once in the air, so you want to make sure your ipad and hotspot don't pick the same channel the MA is operating on.

I ran with my phone full on (wifi, bluetooth, etc.) and had some decent range.
2018-4-27
Use props
Eug Drones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 152644 ft
United States

Have you looked at caching the maps? I use an iPad with no connection, and the maps work for me.
Switch on the CACHE MAP IN BACKGROUND on the three dot menu, then scroll around, zoom in and out, of the area you want to fly. Do no turn off your iPad, and the map should be there next time you fly.
2018-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules